PDA

View Full Version : Recommended custom roms for Samsung Galaxy S3

JaytB
10-27-2012, 07:27 AM
As some of you might know, I recently switched from using iPhone to the Android powered Samsung Galaxy S 3 (international version).

It seems to be a wonderful phone if you're into modding and customizing it (which was one of the reasons I switched to Android).

Since it seems perfectly legal to install your own rom on this device, my question is: What custom roms are you all using and why?

There's just so much choice out there, that it's a bit overwhelming for an Android noob such as myself.

What I'm looking for in a rom? Fast performance, decent battery life, stable (!) and preferably based off the stock Samsung ROM (mainly because I'd still like to be able to use my standard Samsung video player. I just love the animated thumbnails in it, but I could live without it too).

I'm currently using the official Jelly Bean ROM from Samsung, but I'd like to know if I'm missing out on the good stuff or not.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

KingFu
10-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I've heard great things about Cyanogenmod if you want more of a stock android experience (who wouldn't?) I may try it out when I get my note 2 (if I don't wait it out for the HTC J butterfly/DLX, or Nexus 4).

JaytB
10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
I've heard great things about Cyanogenmod if you want more of a stock android experience (who wouldn't?) I may try it out when I get my note 2 (if I don't wait it out for the HTC J butterfly/DLX, or Nexus 4).

Thx!

I heard really good things about that rom too. I might give it a shot. Who needs all that crappy Samsung bloatware anyway LOL :D

ninjaduck
10-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I hugely reccomend getting a lightweight ROM. Even on mt HTC On X (high end) I use a lightweight one.

BodMaster
10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
On my SGIII, I'm currently using the CM10 Nightly (Cyanogenmod), however can be up and down with builds and changes daily. There are stable versions of CM that I would suggest checking out.

Another main ROM I have used is Omega, as it allows you to change up your kernel, take out all the bloatware on installation, and all through Omega Kitchen Files, easy to find anything you would like to Mod*at the simplest convenience.

Kernel would have to be Siyah stable and more battery life, but Stock is good enough on it's own.

Best place to check them out is Xda, can't go wrong; http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1563

Tbf, As long as you have ClockworkMod (CWM) and Titanium Backup, you're all set!