PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Reminders From Your Community Team

RedStapler
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey All,

We've noticed an uptick in the following things, so let's take a moment to discuss them:

1. Threads saying "So-and-So in game is NOT ME"

Sometimes your favorite thing is someone else's favorite thing, too. Sometimes this means that they take a name very similar to yours.

Unless you see that person trying to impersonate you, or people confusing them for you, it's not a problem.

If you do see them trying to make trouble, don't post it on the forums! PM me or one of the other mods, or email support@spacetimestudios.com

Bringing it to the forums only causes flame wars, and those are no fun.

2. Necro'ing Threads

One of our admittedly poorly defined rules is the request for people not to "necro" threads.

Necro'ing a thread means you reply to a thread that is old, and hasn't been commented upon in a while.

This gets to be a worse problem when people reply to the thread, and closing it means we have to close down an actual conversation.

This is even more complicated when a necro'd thread has the same topic as a more recent thread.

3. Duplicate Threads

This goes along nicely with #2. If you make a new post, do a quick search for a post with a similar topic. If there is an existing thread, check the comments. If no comments have been made for several days, make a new thread. If not, jump into the conversation, already in progress!

4. You reported a post and nothing happened -or- You reported a post and got an unexpected outcome

We take each reported post on a case-by-case basis. If you report a post and nothing happens, it's probably because we don't see anything in the thread at that time that's problematic. Eyes are probably remaining on that thread, however, to see if anything crops up that needs to be handled.

Alternately! If you report a post and we close it, it's because we've determined that constructive discussion in that thread is probably no longer likely. You are, however, welcome to open a new thread on that topic!

5. Trolling and Namecalling

Fingerpointing, calling people out, flamebaiting, etc.

You're all on an internet forum, you all know what this is. Please don't do it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Also, take some time to read over our TOS (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/misc.php?do=vsarules). Going forward, please keep this in mind:

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-be-excellent-to-each-other-3.png

Fao
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Okie-Dokie:) and Thanks:)

Aracnus
10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Red, ure so good at knowing what's goin' on :surprise: This was a very good thing to say, knowing that most of these things are happening as we speak

Lowlyspy
10-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Alternately! If you report a post and we close it, it's because we've determined that constructive discussion in that thread is probably no longer likely. You are, however, welcome to open a new thread on that topic!
Storing this for future reference because we've had perfectly constructive posts that happen to have the same topic as troll filled red hot flame posts closed for no good reason.

BodMaster
10-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks RS, much appreciated!

Was going to suggest this from our last discussion, hit the nail right on its head! (:

Bless
10-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Eh but if someone is impersonating you, shouldn't you notify the community that it's not you? Some people carry out private convos, give gifts etc to their friends but if it's an impersonator then it's a really bad thing. I feel that the community should be notified especially if they're your friends.

Yeah seen a lot of necro posting, hate to see all the locked threads :P

RedStapler
10-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Eh but if someone is impersonating you, shouldn't you notify the community that it's not you? Some people carry out private convos, give gifts etc to their friends but if it's an impersonator then it's a really bad thing. I feel that the community should be notified especially if they're your friends.

Yeah seen a lot of necro posting, hate to see all the locked threads :P

If that happens, then you should PM your friends. It doesn't need to be on the forums.

And most especially, it should be reported to STS Support.

There's a difference between communication and pot-stirring.

Astrocat
10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks RS, that's the way to roll especially: Number 5!

Mitchturbo
10-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Red you are my favorite Stapler!

Thanks for letting the community be aware of these again :-) We easily forget as u can tell lol ^_^

C'Mon everyone lets try to make these forums as smooth and pleasant as possible :-) I know You can do it!!

akfury
10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Ty red

Leftro
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I've necro'd a few times on accident :|

LwMark
11-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Glad u posted this

RedStapler
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I've necro'd a few times on accident :|

If you Necro by accident, PM me or one of the other mods, and we'll take care of it.

We understand that mistakes happen!

captaintuttle
11-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Nice Bill & Ted reference too!!! I used to use that always as my sign-off to the guild members when I'd log off in SL... "Be Excellent to Each Other!" :smiley_simmons:

n00b13st
11-05-2013, 04:05 AM
I have not been back in over a year. Thus anything I reply to is a necro post.

n00b13st
11-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Nice Bill & Ted reference too!!! I used to use that always as my sign-off to the guild members when I'd log off in SL... "Be Excellent to Each Other!" :smiley_simmons:

Be nice if STS lived up to that.