PDA

View Full Version : The Definitive Archer Guide

Splurd
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
The Archer
My Guide to the archer. This is just a guide. It is not a instruction manual, the purpose is to give you insight into the archer. Hopefully with the knowledge you gain, you can use your own intelligence1* and create your own build to your own playing style.

Introduction
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/176/archerprotrait.jpg

The Avian are nimble bird-like humanoids with perfect eyesight, quick reflexes, tiny appetites and short attention-spans. The Avian Archer is the master of the bow. A true marksman.
Base stats for Archer: 2 Strength 7 Dexterity, 1 Intelligence.

Yeah, thats the what the game says. The archer is a ranged character, although he has several melee options as well. But the primary focus of his items and skills are for ranged playing style. The developers have said before that the Archer class is supposed to be the DPS class, giving the highest output of damage to a single target.

Attributes
Base stats for Archer: 2 Strength 7 Dexterity, 1 Intelligence.
Firstly, some info on attributes. Firstly, it appears that all attributes have the same effect on each character. So adding str for a archer will have the same effect as adding str for a warrior. In any case, all stats will increase your damage (and thus DPS) and hit%. Dex has a greater effect for hit% and dodge.
Strength: 2 Str = 1 health. Also enough strength will increase h/s. Allows melee weapons and armor with high defence
Intelligence: 2 Int = 1 mana Also, enough int will increase m/s. Allows wands and staffs and bracers.
Dexterity: Adds hit%, dodge, and crit rate. These are important for high damage out put.
For more discussion on Attribute , look at other threads.
Thread on Int (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?645-EXPLAINED-Intelligence-vs-Stats-Increase-(with-GRAPHS))
Thread on Int, Dex, str (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?555-The-Thread-o-the-Future-By-the-Legends-Guild)

So Dex is the most important Attribute for Archers. Strength and Intelligence is not good choice to add, as they give only minimal benefits. So unless you are aiming for a unique build (like a melee str archer), you should focus your points into Dex.

Skills
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8100/skillbutton.png
You start off with 0 skills (borrring) and will get a skill at every 2 levels till lvl 24. For a total of 12 skills. You also get 1 skill point at every level, for a total of 29 skill points at lvl 30.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8909/archerskills.jpg
All the skills. Lovely.

Lets go in detail.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/44/skillfocus.png
Level 2: Focus (Increase hit and crit chances!) Cost 20, 20 secs, +10% chance per rank.
Cooldown is 30 seconds. at level 5, gives 50% to your hit and crit chance. This skill is very important. Hit% is not a issue, since dex gives you huge ammounts of hit% but getting 50% crits makes your damage output go up by alot. And since your skills can crit, it is always good to cast focus before skills like blast shot.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4844/skillblastshot.png
Level 4: Blast Shot (Damage enemies that surround your target!) Cost 15, +2 blast area per rank.
The best offensive skill archers get. Does AoE damage with no knockback. Does 2 hits of damage, of around crit damage. This damage can crit also, so you can do around x8 damage. For example, I do around 50 damage per attack, 100 per crit. My Blast shot does 100dmg per hit, 200 if crits. So its possible to hit around 400 damange.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9520/skillshatteringscream.png
Level 6: Avian Scream (Push back enemies and stun them!) Cost 15, 3 second stun, +10 damage per rank.
This skill has limited use. It will stun all enemies and knock back them by a bit. Not as impressive as warriors stomp though. No idea on damage.
I left this skill at level 1. The primary reason is for the stun, in case you get surrounded by melee monsters, you can scream like a little girl and run away.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3810/skillthornroot.png
Level 8: Thorn Root ( Stop enemies in thier tracks!) Cost 20, 3 sec root, + Damage per rank.
5 second cooldown. No idea on damage. This skill is very useful. Stops enemy movement, but they can still attack. So if a melee enemy is chasing you, be sure to root him before he reaches you, as he can still attack you. Also, no point in rooting ranged opponents as they can still attack you. You can run out of their range though. The primary use of this skill is to stop bosses from comming near you. a 3 second root + 5 second cool down means you can have a boss rooted 50% of the time.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/330/skillmeditate.png
Level 10: Meditation (Regain your magic power through meditation) Cost 10, +30 Mana at rank 1, +10 mana per rank.
40 second cooldown. At lvl 5, this gives 80mp, tho 10 mp is reduced from cost. But 70mp every 40 seconds is more then enough for your skills. You will hardly need to use a mana pot if you diligently spam this every time it cool downs

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1738/skillrestore.png
Level 12: Restore (Increase your health regeneration!) Cost 20, Regen +4 for 5 secs, +10 heal per rank.
Hmm. I honestly dont know how this skill works, but it gives a pretty good health boost from the regen. the +10 heal, not so much. Gives around 50-70 health, so its like a spell version of a health potion. Its good if you feel like saving on potions. Get it *only* if you feel very cheapskate to not use potions. Otherwise it is far simpler to pop a health potion.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5194/skillevade.png
Level 14: Evasion (Dodge incoming attacks!) Cost 20, 20 secs buff, +10% dodge per rank.
Evasion is vital for tanking. Yeah, archers dont tank, but once in a while you'll be faced with a situation where mobs are targeting you. This is where evasion is vital. Cooldown is 30seconds, same as focus.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2180/skillbreakarmor.png
Level 16: Break Armor (Reduce your targets armor) Cost 25, Reduce targets armour, -10 per rank.
Cooldown is 10 seconds. Makes a single target armour reduced. at level 5, I noticed around 20-25% more damage. This skill is great for bosses, since it allows all teammates to benefit from it. Lasts around 5 seconds only though.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9520/skillshatteringscream.png
Level 18: Shattering Scream (Blasts targets and reduces their damage), cost 20, -5 target damage per rank.
I never got it so I never tested it. Frankly, I dont want to be getting hit in the first place. And -5 (or -25 damage) is not useful enough to save you from bosses.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9624/skillrepulseshot.png
Level 20: Repulse Shot (Knock your target back with this heavy shot), cost 15, +2 knock-back per rank.
10 second cool down. This skill does damage, but around the same as a normal arrow. But it does knock back the opponent a fair bit. Useful for making bosses go away. Single target

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1668/skillblindingshot.png
Level 22: Blinding Shot (Reduces enemy hit chance for 5 sec.), cost 25, reduce 10% hit per rank.
I never got it so I never tested it.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8314/skillthornwall.png
Level 24: Thorn Wall: Root enemies when they surround you. Cost 30. +Multi-Target range per rank.

15 second cooldown. This is an AoE version of Thorn Root. However, I dont recommend it. I tested it at lvl 3, the range is pretty decent, same as thorn Root, and it does hit multiple targets. The greatest flaw is the long cooldown. 3 times that of thorn root. And it does no damage.

Skill Build

Focus & Blast shot

Obviously a 5 for these two. These two skills will increase your damage out put by a large amount.
Evasion

This skill helps if you're faced with a situation where you must take damage. eg, fighting a ranged boss, with no assistance. Or being mobbed by too many monsters.
Avian Scream & Thorn Root

1 point is fine. They will help in crippling bosses and helping you stay at range.
Meditation

Optional but Highly recomended. 5 points in it helps mana problems by a HUGE amount.
Repulse shot

Optional but it helps when fighting bosses. Sometimes they will be melee-ing you, and due to lag+boss whacking you, you cannot run away. This sends them flying so you can run.
Break Armor

This skill allows the entire team to increase their dps, which is great when you need to focus on a boss.
Blinding Shot and Shattering Scream
I've never tested these skills, but I am against them since they do not contribute to dps, only focus on reducing the damage you take. And since you have evasion to help with that.

Splurd
04-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Weapons
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1193/itemweaponbow.png

Bows. You start with one, and will be using them for a while. Long range and decent dps. Speed: 1.2
Talon Spikes. You'll get them at around level 20. Short range, around half of bows, and decent dps. Speed: 1.1 The unique thing about talon spikes is that they are 1 handed. So yes, you can equip a shield.
Cross Bows. Different varieties at different levels, from novice crossbows to heavy cross bows. Speed: 1.0 Longest range. You can snipe monsters well out of their firing range. But its possible to be so far away, skills like blast shot and thorn root cannot reach them.
Auto-Crossbow. Same as crossbows, but this weapon has insane attack speed: 0.9. Lower damage though, so the DPS comes out to be around the same.
Daggers & Sai. A dex melee weapon. Nerfed recently, so they are not very good for dps.

Combat tactics
Combo's
Combos is when you combine two skills together, and the resulting damage will have a "COMBO" text appearing, followed by the name of the combo. These combos are usually when you disable a monster (like thorn root, or if they get frozen) followed by another skill. Archers dont have any combos which they can do on their own, but they can still combo.
Nature Strike = Archer's Thorn Root + Enchantress Lightning.

Kiting. Kiting is the process where you attack monsters from range, avoiding taking damage, rather then rushing in and taking alot of damage. Obviously the longer ranged weapons are better for this. However, dont just go firing non stop. The more you attack a monster, his team mates will become more hostile as well. So if you find a tough group of monsters, dont just happily fire blast shot and try to fight them all at once. Instead, fire 1 or 2 arrows at the nearest monster, and patiently way till he runs away from his group. Then feed him arrows till he dies.

I have seen many archers run into the midst of a large group and try to herd them together so they can use blast shot. These people are crazy and will rely heavily on pots and most likely die. Yes its faster, but alot more dangerous.

Avoid ranged bosses. Seriously. I speak from experience. They will shred you to pieces unless you're properly decked out to battle them. Sparky from Fathom Crypt once crit hit me for 230 damage. And dont talk about lil' bill from LE.

As for normal melee bosses, you can easily run circles around them with thorn root, combined with avian scream and repulse shot. These skills help you knock them around to your hearts content. The King of bling cries "you cheated!" for a reason and that reason is archers.

Final thoughts
This is just a basic guide. Feel free to make your own decisions about how to play your archer. Any feedback is welcome, both positive and negative. I do need some points of view on skills, as I have not used them all. But back any criticism up with reasoning please. The only criticism I accept without reasoning is if you criticize how awesome I am.
Also, I'd like to thank Reaper from Legends for posting the skill list. I copy pasta-ed from his post.
Also thank Justg for being active on the forums. Plus I figure enough brown nosing might convince them to give me a bow which shoots lightsabers.

Special Bonus for reading to the end
Shake your device to emote a Wave. Try it... it's fun!

Splurd
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Spot reserved in case of future content.

nathanyc
04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice in taking initiative to post a helpful guide for new archers :)

I would like to offer some of my thoughts on some of the skills. I currently have 13 empty skill points because a lot of the skills i find are useless to me and/or are broken. I'm hoping they add more skills eventually. If i wanted to, i would probably spend points into debuff shots to help tanks on harder mobs and bosses... but currently there are no bosses that really hurt tanks all that much right now.

So first off, Thorn wall is pretty much like and AOE thorn root... so it does do some damage as well.

Restore is another skill i would not get, bow archers don't get hit often so our health doesn't go down as much as our mana.

The skill evasion used to be decent when dagger builds were great and the cool down wasn't so long. If you plan on being a talon or bow user (most are bow users), you shouldn't be taking damage anyways if you do your dps correctly. So in my opinion, this skill is currently a waste of 5 points. Might be useful of in the future if certain bosses do aoe attacks.

nathanyc
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
ok well that last post about debuffs not working has been fixed just now. so feel free to allot stats into those skills :)

Splurd
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
ok well that last post about debuffs not working has been fixed just now. so feel free to allot stats into those skills :)

I swear the devs did that on purpose!
*grumble*

using a auto crossbow which gives my char 48-50 dmg (so the range is small)

Forest haven, normal arrow, 39-41 damage.
After armour break lvl 5
50~ damage.
So around 25% more damage. Hmm. Dont know if that is worth it or not. Maybe with higher damage bows I can see the % clearer... If I had more skills lots yeah it would be useful on bosses, but unsure how long it lasts.

Noname
04-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Very nice guide bro. I have been wondering for a while.

Are daggers rare? And around what level do you get them.

nathanyc
04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
I swear the devs did that on purpose!
*grumble*

using a auto crossbow which gives my char 48-50 dmg (so the range is small)

Forest haven, normal arrow, 39-41 damage.
After armour break lvl 5
50~ damage.
So around 25% more damage. Hmm. Dont know if that is worth it or not. Maybe with higher damage bows I can see the % clearer... If I had more skills lots yeah it would be useful on bosses, but unsure how long it lasts.

on a boss or mob where hp is higher its good because it not only applies for you but for the entire groups damage.
but right now everything dies really quick still

Felora
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Great write up! Thanks!

Endless
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
This is gonna be a big help to new players. Thanks Splurd.

Pixxie
04-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Splurd, got any advice on recommended builds? Not just skills but the complete package?

Thanks for the guide!

Splurd
04-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Splurd, got any advice on recommended builds? Not just skills but the complete package?

Thanks for the guide!

I have not tested many builds so I cant give advice on this. I simply pumped ALL my stats into dex. Makes me a high dps, but very fragile. I've yet to see alternate builds for archer that really impress me. (cept well, a str archer with 50ish armour or something, but then why play archer?)

Noname
04-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Hey bro. Can you answer my question?

Pixxie
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Very nice guide bro. I have been wondering for a while.

Are daggers rare? And around what level do you get them.

Not that rare...no.

Noname
04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Not that rare...no.

Alright. Thank you.

Splurd
04-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Hey bro. Can you answer my question?

well I didnt have any low level daggers so I couldnt comment at that time but you can get daggers at lvl 9.

Bows do better dps then daggers though, because daggers got nerfed a few patches ago.

Splurd
04-25-2010, 03:05 AM
One thing I'm looking for is how much damage does a lvl 5 avian scream and a lvl 5 thorn root do?
If anyone can help me find that info out, would be great. (post your usual damage on monsters too)

Sayishere
04-25-2010, 06:23 AM
One thing I'm looking for is how much damage does a lvl 5 avian scream and a lvl 5 thorn root do?
If anyone can help me find that info out, would be great. (post your usual damage on monsters too)

i wanna know this to, especially thorn root with its short cooldown, dont feel like paying money on respec :P

they should change it so we can gold to respec but its smart on their end!

Splurd
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Added some changes to skill info, for evasion and thorn wall and restore.

Azrael
05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
this is the nicest looking guide ive ever seen, now to read it

PvP
05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Good guide. I'm glad you put in pictures, they managed to keep my attention for most of it, until I saw the squirrel run around out side. Anyway, I reccomend you keep making guides on various topics, perhaps ones that most people don't think of. All I see are unique and regular build guides. Perhaps when PvP comes out you can make one specifically based on tactics for an archer, and what role it plays in a PvP team. I like your guide and I'm hoping to see future ones. Good job.

Nerit
05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Which bird skill is the one with the trippy music? I would consider that a good reason to develop that skill. It's the musical highlight of the game so far.

SlipperyJim
05-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Which bird skill is the one with the trippy music? I would consider that a good reason to develop that skill. It's the musical highlight of the game so far.
That would be Meditation, which is well worth learning even if you play with the volume muted. ;)

TrogZ
06-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Great guide splurd, but you should update it with the changes they made on the skills for pvp.

Teflon
08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Very decent guide. As a new archer (own a lvl 32-to-be-tank as well) this has been very useful. I plan on going full Dex and then Str in order to create my 'TeflonBird'. Now if I can just make it to lvl 45 :-). Thanks again!

KingFu
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Break Armor

This skill allows the entire team to increase their dps, which is great when you need to focus on a boss.

? Break armor lowers the opponents armor, how is break armor an aoe buff? It is a debuff.

Royce
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
? Break armor lowers the opponents armor, how is break armor an aoe buff? It is a debuff.

He means it increases everyone's effective DPS by lowering opponent armor. BTW, asking Splurd questions is probably useless at this point. I haven't seen him online forever. Though his profile shows activity as recently as July 26th.

Snakespeare
08-10-2010, 07:02 PM
This is gorgeous! Good job, but...

Shattering Scream... never got it? Never did any combos? I think I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have the Cruel Blast combo.

Pudge
08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Btw shattering does increase your dps because it lowers mobs armour. Also, Archer without cruel blast is lame

jef_99_99
08-12-2010, 08:01 AM
"Combat tactics
Combo's
Combos is when you combine two skills together, and the resulting damage will have a "COMBO" text appearing, followed by the name of the combo. These combos are usually when you disable a monster (like thorn root, or if they get frozen) followed by another skill. Archers dont have any combos which they can do on their own, but they can still combo.
"

Good post but this statement is incorrect, Archers can combo themselves with Shattering Scream then Blast shot = Cruel Blast

----------------------
Neptimus - Archer
Neptimust - Bear
Sadari - Mage