PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you see a scammer/spammer/jerk

Zaheris
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
As a new player, you'll be hanging out mainly in forest haven. Now, this is a great place to make friends (it's where I've met most of mine), but it can also be a jerk magnet. Scammers frequent this area to pick on new players, and I have seen many an argument explode out of control here. Unfortunately, those trying to stop the scammer/spammer/jerk often end up flamed. This is my advice on how to deal with bad players.

First, the spammers. These guys will say messages, sometimes random and sometimes hurtful to another player, OVER and OVER and OVER. If you see a spammer, just type /mute <insert spammer's username here). Then, you won't have to listen to them. Don't even bother talking to them.

Scammers, however, are another story. You know you've got a scammer when you see somebody doubling gold, selling promo codes (onthebeach, reciprocity, and awareness are the only codes), or asking for account info. Scamming is against the terms of service, so if you see a scammer, send them a PM to cease and desist or they will be reported. If they continue, just type /report username for doing this scam: (then write all you have seen about the scam). If you see anybody who looks like they will fall for the scam, warn them with a private message.

Jerks are remarkable in the sense that they can turn everyone around them into jerks, start a war, and ruin the game for everyone. When I say jerks I mean bullies, people who have huge public arguments, and rude people in general. Simply place them on your ignore list.

Most importantly, NEVER LET YOURSELF GET DRAGGED INTO A CONFLICT!
Just deal with it quietly.
Hope this helps.

Bless
11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
True but I don't think anybody would scam a new player...if it's an old player then Its a different story.

Arexos
11-01-2012, 07:10 PM
When I first started I actually found a lot of the more experienced players extremely helpful. They'd help me complete quests and bosses I wasn't strong enough to defeat and I was extremely appreciative of that. I think compared to other game communities, PL has one of the nicest, there will always be scammers and deceivers within all games. You're right, you should never let yourself get dragged out into a conflict regarding a scammer but you have to understand the scenario. If you see a person scamming another, perhaps /tell the victim about what situation. Don't try to apprehend the scammer, simply report him of course you can try to but usually as you said, it ends in a flame-war. Ego vs. Ego.

glennleejunxian
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Don't be a spoiled sport

Zaheris
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
It's not a game. It can be very annoying and ruin a perfectly good game for new players who don't know what to do.
And Arexos: I completely agree, I had the same experience as you, and I think that a lot of people flaming scammers are really trying to help, but they just end up looking immature.

Pokechmp
11-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Good advice

xbabybugszx
11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
This is what i do. Reports scammers, mute spammers, and rush jerks if i ever see them in pvp. Nuff said :p

+*Trust*+