PDA

View Full Version : About Revive

Samhayne
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
The main reason that a Revive ability isn't currently in Arcane Legends is the limitation to only 4 skills. If one class did have such an ability, they'd pretty much always have to have it up when running in a party (or their party mates would likely browbeat them into slotting it - which isn't something we want). The limitation to 4 skills is by design and fits well with the current functionality to upgrade skills. Also, with all 3 classes having access to a heal ability and how bosses pop out heal plusses as you fight them - dying is part of the intended difficulty. We'd say, play better.

However, we do understand that, if you do fall, running back, especially on a big map, is less than fun. All of this is to say that the Design Team is looking into some alternatives for revive. I think the leading one is to change up the revive at full health/mana to be for gold (and tune the amount of gold to change per level) and tune the gold cost to help as a gold sink for the economy. Economy is also another big discussion going on right now with the Design Team, but that's for another post. As always, there are no guarantees that anything will change, but I did want to let you know that it is being looked into.

Bilaxman
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Could there be checkpoints at certain parts in the larger maps?

Samhayne
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Could there be checkpoints at certain parts in the larger maps?

I don't believe we currently have tech for such, but it is an interesting idea.

Azibas
11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Another thing you can do is to rest between mobs. You can also do that with bosses to an extent where you run away till they dont follow. I do believe there is a safe distance where they wont chase you and they wont replenish their health. One suggestion to STS would be to have the mobs and bosses not replenish their health if you die and have to walk all the way back. It would make the pain of being killed a little more bearable.

Mitchturbo
11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Well on my Mage I use the wind with 25+ speed boost buff to run back to where I died. Very handy.
Also our mages heal while efficient. The mana regen and Heal regen that we spen skill points on need to be more efficient. Otherwise I'd leave them off. Unfortunately I can't respec again after today's plat purchase I made and another respec I did earlier.

Lowlyspy
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
We'd say, play better.
Lol to the people saying the bosses are too hard xD

Actually i think this has already been implemented in a way, though not in AL. In PL there are certain levels that make you have to go through a portal to get to the boss and when you die you respawn at where that portal took you, not at the beginning of the map. (Ex. Victory Lap, Ao3 Close Encounters) I'm not sure a portal could be done but i just thought i'd bring this up, maybe it could sprout some ideas.

Aeroflame
11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
If you want my honest opinion, which you probably don't, If you consider making gold revs, please don't make it too expensive, because many die a lot, and tend to solo more often. Since it normally cost 1 plat in your other games, why not make gold cost the equivalent of 1 platinum? I haven't played AL for too long but it doesn't seem as difficult as SL (but I'm still a noob tbh), but the maps are mondo huge. From the posts I've seen so far, those three ideas are awesome. Checkpoints, heal, or gold revive.

PS do we have a natural healing skill?

razerfingers
11-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Add a revive proc to the mages heal ;)

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

Elyseon
11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm just saying with one hit kills its kinda fair to have rev
You could argue that with a good team/skill you shouldn't take any major attacks, but I really would hate to have to run with the perfect tank just to beat the boss

Samhayne
11-05-2012, 04:28 PM
You could argue that with a good team/skill you shouldn't take any major attacks, but I really would hate to have to run with the perfect tank just to beat the boss

If you're getting one hit killed, you really need to learn to dodge the red warnings and/or put some points into STR for more health.

Samhayne
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
If you want my honest opinion, which you probably don't, If you consider making gold revs, please don't make it too expensive, because many die a lot, and tend to solo more often. Since it normally cost 1 plat in your other games, why not make gold cost the equivalent of 1 platinum? I haven't played AL for too long but it doesn't seem as difficult as SL (but I'm still a noob tbh), but the maps are mondo huge. From the posts I've seen so far, those three ideas are awesome. Checkpoints, heal, or gold revive.

PS do we have a natural healing skill?

All classes have access to a skill that can do healing. Mage and Warrior are aoe heals, the Rogue throws down heal packs. All of these heals can be improved by spending skill points (which if you use them a lot you probably want to do, as the base skill isn't that hot).

Masterminds
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM

O.o what you mean tech? I think everything is possible with android apps

Aeroflame
11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the healing skills are more beneficial to certain classes, because I have no desire to strengthen my warrior's int, which I'm sure controls the healing power. With that said, I'm gonna need a blue friend at all times.

Samhayne
11-05-2012, 04:45 PM

By tech, I mean what is currently doable in the Spacetime Engine. Another example would be player housing or mounts. All cool ideas, but stuff we haven't built into the engine. If we wanted that feature, we would have to build it. When we decide to build stuff, it goes into the list of everything we want to build and we have to prioritize what to do over what we can put off for later - because, you know, we can't just build everything we want. Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that :D

Elyseon
11-05-2012, 05:00 PM

If you're getting one hit killed, you really need to learn to dodge the red warnings and/or put some points into STR for more health.
Well i have been avoiding it for the most part
The rogue boss that throws a wave of knives or idk what hes doing but i havent found a way to dodge his
Especially when he teleports all over the place, i havent seen any warning for that

razerfingers
11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
The rogue boss that throws a wave of knives or idk what hes doing but i havent found a way to dodge his
Especially when he teleports all over the place, i havent seen any warning for that

Avoid poison barrels too. The things he stands on its like the lava in BSM

Elyseon
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Avoid poison barrels too. The things he stands on its like the lava in BSM

I pro enuff fer dat then i dodge liek 6 daggres but invisible one gets me in throat
He ez tho when i solo

I guess i could just no help kill him while my mana shield cools down

Abadaobiran
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
sounds fun :excitement:

WowThisGuy
11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I was bullied on SL for making a combat eng. I agree 100% with the devs. Stop dying...

Elyseon
11-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I was bullied on SL for making a combat eng. I agree 100% with the devs. Stop dying...
K all classes shud be pure str

Bebsi
11-05-2012, 05:36 PM
All classes have access to a skill that can do healing. Mage and Warrior are aoe heals, the Rogue throws down heal packs. All of these heals can be improved by spending skill points (which if you use them a lot you probably want to do, as the base skill isn't that hot).

Most heal techniques are for ur fellow team members making soloing a big problem.
When I throw heal packs why isn't is possible for my char to get a part of the heal packs.

Samhayne
11-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Most heal techniques are for ur fellow team members making soloing a big problem.
When I throw heal packs why isn't is possible for my char to get a part of the heal packs.

You can improve your heal packs to have a self heal component when cast. You can run over them too. Also, if you find you're dying, you might put points into STR as more hit points will help. Lastly, keep an eye out for green + heals that bosses put out around them as you fight.

Masterminds
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
By tech, I mean what is currently doable in the Spacetime Engine. Another example would be player housing or mounts. All cool ideas, but stuff we haven't built into the engine. If we wanted that feature, we would have to build it. When we decide to build stuff, it goes into the list of everything we want to build and we have to prioritize what to do over what we can put off for later - because, you know, we can't just build everything we want. Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that :D

Lol :D

CosmoxKramer
11-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I love the initial ideas Sam but this makes me think one thing:
The players that are good and don't die often are probably the ones that play the most and have plenty of money. The people that die often may not be experienced in MMOs, action RPGs and may be the same people that have a hard time affording pots and other items or better gear.
So I'm not sure this 'money sink' will effect the right people, unless u make the elite dungeons cost 2+ times the normal mode in gold
Thoughts?

Cahaun
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
The players that are good and don't die often are probably the ones that play the most and have plenty of money. The people that die often may not be experienced in MMOs, action RPGs and may be the same people that have a hard time affording pots and other items or better gear.
So I'm not sure this 'money sink' will effect the right people, unless u make the elite dungeons cost 2+ times the normal mode in gold
Thoughts?
Why should Elite maps cost twice as much?

Elyseon
11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Pure str is way to go it seems
I just respec 1k health on a sorceror

CosmoxKramer
11-05-2012, 09:22 PM

ok, maybe that isn't the solution, but if you read my full message, i don't know if based on Sam's original comment that reviving costing gold would help be a money sink, i disagreed with it.

maybe instead of an expensive full health/mana revive, a really cheap 100-500g 1/2 health/mana revive wouldn't hurt the poor or part time players as much

Cahaun
11-05-2012, 10:18 PM

ok, maybe that isn't the solution, but if you read my full message, i don't know if based on Sam's original comment that reviving costing gold would help be a money sink, i disagreed with it.

maybe instead of an expensive full health/mana revive, a really cheap 100-500g 1/2 health/mana revive wouldn't hurt the poor or part time players as much
Prepare yourself for the most extreme constructive criticism post you'll have.

1. I read it all, but I disagree that it should be split between "good player who has lots of money and skill" compared to "player that struggles in game". It needs to be equal because everyone has the same chance for success. Thus is why I disagreed against the higher prices for people in the Elite mode. Just because they are good, it doesn't mean they have to be charged more.
2. Just making the revive a gold purchase will indeed be a golf sink to ANYONE because it takes out money from their gold so I don't know what made you think it wouldn't drain gold. If STS makes a price, U always say "If you can't go with it, don't use it". If potion prices are super high and it seems like only the good players can afford it but you can't, just go with it. I did. That's why I'm rich in this game. (I'm cheap)
3. You make it sound like people who are rich will get more benefits from this than the "poor and part time people" and therefore aren't effected by anything that effects then the others. This a natural human thing so I'm not going to be in bash mode. It's like the poor people wanting to tax the rich people to death because they feel they need to feel their pains in life. (Kinda like a "if I can't have it, than neither shall they"). Now how does any of this affects the game? I always think of this as a pyschological drift that naturally appears between people who don't fully understand the "rags to riches" theory that drove America to success. (Aka American Dream of being able to be from ultra poor to very rich when hard work pays the best). Now that I said a slight historic example, I'll continue to say that this is a common thing so don't think of me at all as a badger but giving my incite on this. (When it comes to minds, I make longer posts)

Overall message for those who don't like long posts!
Everyone has equal opprotunity in this game to be ultra awesome and thus nothing should be done to affect anything based on how well a person performs or by the status they are (If you have a question on this comment that can be interpreted in many ways then just ask me. I always plan ahead when posting stuff like this). I personally teach methods to newcomers in this game and equip everyone on a crash course to success because I believe that everyone has momentous opprotunity. The poor peoples in this game aren't doomed to stay poor forever.

JezzaDJ
11-06-2012, 03:04 AM
having played AL for a little while, I' d suggest letting team mates do a res (all classes, without needing a res skill), by standing next to downed player and using the interaction mechanic (as we currently do to open the chests) - a few seconds delay ought to work (so it's *difficult* to do in heat of a tough boss battle, but not impossible) - similar to hero res in Dawn of War 2.

tearacan
11-06-2012, 07:12 AM

You already did a similar thing in SL with voleria sector. By using the 'tunnels' to commando loot-rooms it created new spawn points.

Wonder if those unlock-area-shields which are used in dialy-story-quest can be used as spawn points too?

CosmoxKramer
11-06-2012, 08:01 AM
forget i ever said anything about poor/rich players in game, what i really was meaning but didn't convey correctly was this; Assuming the price to purchase a revive is 'decent' or even fairly 'cheap' on normal mode, then elite mode could cost more (e.g. 100 ->500g or 500->1000g) "with great risk comes great reward." Better drop rates of good gear, so why not have more risk involved.

I really like the previous two ideas however more than the original too

n00b13st
11-07-2012, 03:01 PM

LOL. Yes, we're going to find an android app that creates checkpoints in AL games.

n00b13st
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Another example would be player housing or mounts.

Hey, combine those two ideas - player housing you can ride! (Yes, I feel a bit silly today.)
:vP::vP::vP:

n00b13st
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Because elite players have 100 times as much gold? :vsmile::vsmile:

n00b13st
11-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Thoughts?

I think something along these lines is a great idea! Maybe a sliding scale based on the amount of gold the account has? (Of course the minimum would have to be set to not make reviving trivial for the really pathetic players.)

BodMaster
11-07-2012, 08:16 PM
One awesome thing comes from this!

No more, "rez pl0x"

Aracnus
11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
One awesome thing comes from this!

No more, "rez pl0x"

YES! Finally i won't get mobbed, and hated on becuase "COme on Engi, can't you see i'm dead" or "Why didn't u rev fast enough" or "open ur eyes man, i dead ova hur"

BodMaster
11-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I think that maybe the "Heal" for one of the classes should have a revive upgrade, then ^_^

Heal and Rez all in one? Genius! :D

EliB
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't think this belongs on this thread but... I find that warriors heal way more then mages and I find that unfair lol they heal like consistent 100 5 times in a row like the heal from the engineer in SL and mages throw out the occasional 200 every like 10 secs or so (I forgot the cd on the healing lol) I just wanted to say that.. X)

Lady_Pebbles
11-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think this belongs on this thread but... I find that warriors heal way more then mages and I find that unfair lol they heal like consistent 100 5 times in a row like the heal from the engineer in SL and mages throw out the occasional 200 every like 10 secs or so (I forgot the cd on the healing lol) I just wanted to say that.. X)
Bingo. The Sorcerer's heal cd time is a tad high. Especially when charged. I can use it maybe two times during a boss fight but have to start using pots after casting cuz the mob around the bosses plus the boss himself, do lots of dmg. I use the shield and heal but I think they need to be tweaked to be more effective.

However, I plan to respec. I went all INT on my Sorcerrer but Im gonna try a tri-spec on my toon. Add half to INT, then split the rest into DEX & STR to see what happens. I think this will change up everything. I'll let yall know how the skills and gameplay goes when I do that.

EDIT: Tri-Spec on Sorcerer sucks -.- but dual spec is awesome! @lvl13 I put 20pts in STR the rest in INT and it works. Now at lvl14 this vuild is great. Less deaths. Plus the skills Im using are great.

MightyMicah
11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
The main reason that a Revive ability isn't currently in Arcane Legends is the limitation to only 4 skills. If one class did have such an ability, they'd pretty much always have to have it up when running in a party (or their party mates would likely browbeat them into slotting it - which isn't something we want). The limitation to 4 skills is by design and fits well with the current functionality to upgrade skills. Also, with all 3 classes having access to a heal ability and how bosses pop out heal plusses as you fight them - dying is part of the intended difficulty. We'd say, play better.

However, we do understand that, if you do fall, running back, especially on a big map, is less than fun. All of this is to say that the Design Team is looking into some alternatives for revive. I think the leading one is to change up the revive at full health/mana to be for gold (and tune the amount of gold to change per level) and tune the gold cost to help as a gold sink for the economy. Economy is also another big discussion going on right now with the Design Team, but that's for another post. As always, there are no guarantees that anything will change, but I did want to let you know that it is being looked into.

Hey Sam, thanks for the heads up! Would it be alright if I present an idea?

What if you guys made the revive like in Guild Wars 2. When someone dies in that game, you walk up to them and an option appears to "press F to revive." Then your character kneels down and begins reviving them. In other words, anyone can revive anyone, but it's always a danger to revive in the midst of battle. Would that be too out of the box for StS? It would certainly encourage team play which seems to be an aspect of this game.

BodMaster
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Revive/recuperate fallen soldiers/players have been in games for as long I can remember. (Mostly RPG, but not entirely, GoW etc)

Nightarcher
11-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I highly approve of removing the revive skill from Sorcerers and giving healing skills to everyone, so people don't look at Sorcerers as just the "support class." Players will utilize greater strategy and teamwork now!

Also, a gold-to-revive system is a good idea in my eyes. :)

But the cost should be the same for everyone regardless of skill or wealth. Why punish the rich/skilled and take away their incentive? That's socialism.

BodMaster
11-11-2012, 02:15 AM
I highly approve of removing the revive skill from Sorcerers and giving healing skills to everyone, so people don't look at Sorcerers as just the "support class."

Healing skill has been given to all class or the opportunity to pick it has, and no revive in total. (Just plat)

But now, players turn around and ask Rogue to drop heal packs lol. (Sorcerer gets off lightly)

I'm full DPS, so don't even have Heal Packs.. could imagine how that will be.

Nightarcher
11-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Healing skill has been given to all class or the opportunity to pick it has, and no revive in total. (Just plat)

But now, players turn around and ask Rogue to drop heal packs lol. (Sorcerer gets off lightly)

I'm full DPS, so don't even have Heal Packs.. could imagine how that will be.

I got into the Beta so I know this, I was just stating my approval of it haha :)