PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic going Free To Play November 15~

Zapoke
11-08-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121107
That link there has BioWare's announcement ^

As many of my friends know, I played Star Wars: The Old Republic quite a bit. I've been slowing down on it, however, and find myself choosing NOT to buy subscriptions anymore. After three level 50 characters (and many, many alts) I only played once or twice a week, which I feel is not worth $15 a month. I've talked to several people about this game, and none of them have decided to try it due to the subscription cost. But starting Nov. 15, anyone can play up to the previous level cap (level 50)! Along with this update, they're releasing a new planet, I believe, which will bring the level cap to 55. I won't be playing to that, most likely, but I'll definitely be taking advantage of this new business model. Anyone else going to do so? :)

Cahaun
11-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Sounds interesting. I haven't tried this game yet.

Snakespeare
11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Only works on PC, last time I looked. My daughters play this one and it would be cool to hang with them, but it's not for Mac.

bronislav84
11-08-2012, 05:41 PM
If you want complimentary Cartel Coins, you must be subbed when the update goes live or you get zilch. I am buying a month just to get it and recommend any past player who stands to lose 500 or more coins do the same. I stand to lose 1900 coins, so I definitely want them.

Also no wearing purple quality gear, which is a bummer. Technically it's possible to pull the mods out and put it into Artifact, AFTER you unlock that and it's pretty expensive to do that. Everything else can be gotten around if you're willing to pay. It's a much better system than originally announced, but still bad.

The biggest ouch is even after you unlock everything you want, there are severe limits on how often you can do the non story content. It's a big cash grab and I'm probably just going to play to RP, if that.

Full list of Cartel Market offerings: http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

Zapoke
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
If you want complimentary Cartel Coins, you must be subbed when the update goes live or you get zilch. I am buying a month just to get it and recommend any past player who stands to lose 500 or more coins do the same. I stand to lose 1900 coins, so I definitely want them.

Also no wearing purple quality gear, which is a bummer. Technically it's possible to pull the mods out and put it into Artifact, AFTER you unlock that and it's pretty expensive to do that. Everything else can be gotten around if you're willing to pay. It's a much better system than originally announced, but still bad.

The biggest ouch is even after you unlock everything you want, there are severe limits on how often you can do the non story content. It's a big cash grab and I'm probably just going to play to RP, if that.

Full list of Cartel Market offerings: http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

You have to be subbed when it's released? Mm. How lame.. Which means if I don't subscribe soon, I'll be losing around 1.5k coins too. :/

bronislav84
11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, very. Just buy a month and cancel as soon as they give you your time. It isn't an obscene amount of money really, then you can just buy account wide unlocks at your leisure.

They NEED prepaid Coin cards though!

So what server were you on? I was and still am on The Ebon Hawk, which was chosen as a destination server for a lot of RP servers.

Zapoke
11-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, very. Just buy a month and cancel as soon as they give you your time. It isn't an obscene amount of money really, then you can just buy account wide unlocks at your leisure.

They NEED prepaid Coin cards though!

So what server were you on? I was and still am on The Ebon Hawk, which was chosen as a destination server for a lot of RP servers.
Jedi Covenant. I got sent there from my PvE server :P

bronislav84
11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I wish I had more people to play with! Move lol? RP is just like PVE basically. RP is optional, and most people don't get mad at you.

Zapoke
11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I wish I had more people to play with! Move lol? RP is just like PVE basically. RP is optional, and most people don't get mad at you.

I don't like playing on RP servers..sorry lol. I prefer female characters.. and that brings on.. well, you know.

bronislav84
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
All my characters are female. Does that tell you anything? So yea, I know very well.

MorewizardForums
11-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Still waiting forr KOTOR 3 :(.

Zapoke
11-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Still waiting forr KOTOR 3 :(.

BioWare already said that KOTOR 3 (for XBox and other gaming systems) won't happen, because they feel that The Old Republic IS KOTOR 3-infinity.

vampinoy
11-08-2012, 11:46 PM
SWTOR lost too many players...then they go F2P in an effort to recover their players. I played this game at release last year and I'm definitely not coming back (yet unless I get convinced that it's better than WoW and Guildwars 2), I already have Guildwars 2 and WoW, and contented.

They just lost too many players...my entire guild in SWTOR transferred to Guildwars 2 literally (the same guild name etc.)...I've never seen a game lose players that dramatically. The only thing that I like about SWTOR is story, which is expected really. Everything else is a let down, bland combat, ghost towns because there are too many servers that affected player saturation, not enough end game content (there were updates, but just not quite enough)...and overall by the time you reach 50, it gives you "that feeling of you've been there and done that"? It has nothing "NEW" to offer...sure they recently improved their UI edit capability, but that's more like "it should have been there from the start" than "new"...money was never an issue in my case, I'll pay for my game, but time is my issue, I can only devote so much a day...with Guildwars 2 (innovation) and WoW (traditional) still the top MMOs as far as quality and content...I simply have no room for something "in-between" or less than the bests.

Zapoke
11-09-2012, 09:11 AM
SWTOR lost too many players...then they go F2P in an effort to recover their players. I played this game at release last year and I'm definitely not coming back (yet unless I get convinced that it's better than WoW and Guildwars 2), I already have Guildwars 2 and WoW, and contented.

They just lost too many players...my entire guild in SWTOR transferred to Guildwars 2 literally (the same guild name etc.)...I've never seen a game lose players that dramatically. The only thing that I like about SWTOR is story, which is expected really. Everything else is a let down, bland combat, ghost towns because there are too many servers that affected player saturation, not enough end game content (there were updates, but just not quite enough)...and overall by the time you reach 50, it gives you "that feeling of you've been there and done that"? It has nothing "NEW" to offer...sure they recently improved their UI edit capability, but that's more like "it should have been there from the start" than "new"...money was never an issue in my case, I'll pay for my game, but time is my issue, I can only devote so much a day...with Guildwars 2 (innovation) and WoW (traditional) still the top MMOs as far as quality and content...I simply have no room for something "in-between" or less than the bests.

WoW .. The best? Lol. Guild Wars, sure.. WoW? No. Just, no. :)

bronislav84
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I agree with Zap all the way. :D

MightyMicah
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I had firm plans to play it until my friend introduced me to Guild Wars 2 ;-)

MightyMicah
11-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry for the double post...anyways..

I just downloaded it yesterday! So far, (I'm shocked) I like it better than Guild Wars. Does the story line literally level you through the game? If so, that's great! I can't wait to enter pvp!

Cahaun
11-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Where do I go to start playing this?

dudetus
11-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Sorry for the double post...anyways..

I just downloaded it yesterday! So far, (I'm shocked) I like it better than Guild Wars. Does the story line literally level you through the game? If so, that's great! I can't wait to enter pvp!

Kinda if u do all the subquests along the mainquestline. Gets awfully redunant in the end. I suggest PvP and flashpoints to prevent being utterly bored.

Where do I go to start playing this?

Go to swtor.com and u can download the client from there.

MightyMicah
11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Kinda if u do all the subquests along the mainquestline. Gets awfully redunant in the end. I suggest PvP and flashpoints to prevent being utterly bored.

Utterly boring? Dang. No way...That's crazy. So far I'm level 7 and still thoroughly interested in it. I guess it's only level 7 :3 haha

@Cahaun like The dude just said, check out Swtor.com You can download it and create your account free there. If you do, hit me up in game! My username there is same as here.

Cahaun
11-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Is the download supposed to be 1.68 GB long? Holy cow that'll take me hours and hours to download. O.o

MightyMicah
11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Is the download supposed to be 1.68 GB long? Holy cow that'll take me hours and hours to download. O.o

Yeah mine took freaking forever! Lol but it's worth it man.

Cahaun
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Yeah mine took freaking forever! Lol but it's worth it man.
I'll have to hold onto it until after Battlefield 3: Aftermath is released for the premium PS3 users. (me ^_^) I'm still a super big Star Wars fan so I'll get it as soon as I have the data to.

dudetus
11-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Utterly boring? Dang. No way...That's crazy. So far I'm level 7 and still thoroughly interested in it. I guess it's only level 7 :3 haha

@Cahaun like The dude just said, check out Swtor.com You can download it and create your account free there. If you do, hit me up in game! My username there is same as here.

I am that type of player that I do not play daily but when I play I always play like 5 hours in a row. In that way doing the subquests is SO boring. Which class r u rollin' atm? Have u decided yet ur advanced class for it?

MightyMicah
11-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I am that type of player that I do not play daily but when I play I always play like 5 hours in a row. In that way doing the subquests is SO boring. Which class r u rollin' atm? Have u decided yet ur advanced class for it?

Ahh that makes total sense. See, I'm more of a "pick up and play for an hour or two" kinda guy. I usually get tired or bored after longer than that. Anyways, I'm playing a Jedi knight? I think? Lol...I forgot what the advanced classes are. I remember seeing reviews on YouTube and stuff that explained it all. I'm just gonna role with it as I go. Haha