PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: The decreasing increase/progression

connerlee12
11-10-2012, 09:50 PM
(hey every1
so im not the person 2 write rly formal, but i think tis time i'll give sum effort ok)

The Situation
So recently I've noticed that the stat improvement/progression from one campaign to the successive one has been at an all time low; it's going on a decreasing increasing slope.
In other words, yes, the stats are still improving from each campaign to the next, but not as much as the improvement form the prior campaign to the current one.
As an example, remember the improvement from Sewer-> Glyph and Glyph-> Mount Fang. Look at Mount Fang-> Humania.
Now look at Humania-> BSM.
Yes, it's increasing, but ever so slightly.

Is there a reason behind this?
I believe everything the Devs do has a reason and logic supporting it.
The reason that seems most evident to me is that we've reached the stat cap.
Stat cap, is a term I like to use to define the time when the stats can be at their max potential; once the cap has been broken, everything becomes way too OP and stable.

More in depth, and how did this happen?
Our criticals, dodges, armors, everything has become out of control.
Mages already have breached the 100% Critical cap since the Sewer cap.
Bears have just recently gone to nearly 90% Dodge.
In STS's mind, every campaign increases the stats.
And so, with this poor planning, they continually increased the stats, at an "exponential constant rate".
If you've taken Biology, there's something called a carrying capacity.
This is quite similar.
The stats have gone pretty unbalanced already; many are and have been crying OP for a while now.

How did this happen?
I said it; poor planning.
The Devs expect stuff to keep going on and on.
Three or four caps ago, it might have not seemed a big issue.
Let's use one factor; critical. Even though this isn't necessarily true, some other stats ARE true and have increased in a similar proportion and on an alike severity scale.
What devs could imagine:
"Oh, the crit's only at 80% now. Let's just keep increasing at a constant factor."
Yet now, here we are, and crit's gone up nearly 10% each cap.
Now if we went like this 10% increase, we'll have nearly 150% crit in a few more caps.

This is the issue.
One thing I remember is the skill damage for mages. Staff ones are already able to one-shot birds and easily able to one shot each other without a mana shield on.

A few caps ago, this seemed all fine and dandy.
Sewers was pretty balanced.
Yet now we're at somewhere between OP and insanity.

How did this happen? How did we ARRIVE HERE? And more importantly, how does it get fixed?
The answer is, as OFFENSIVE stats immediately grew up proportionally, we lacked the growth of any TRUE DEFENSIVE FACTOR.

Now yes, you could say dodge grew a lot. But personally, dodge is more of an offensive factor.
True defensive factor, to me, is armor, and MOSTLY HP.

And that's the issue.
As all these other factors exponentially jumped, HP barely fluctuated.
Only bears got an increase of HP, and this was from an excessive amount of STR.
But why, I say, WHY must STR give HP?
HP should increase on a basis of level.
Those Humania mobs; do they have 100 HP like zombies in FH?
That Red Dragon and Aych Two Oh Elite Boss, do they have Silknight's measly HP?
No.
Yet the players still do.

Now let's do this.
Let's stimulate PvP as PvE.

Player A is me.
Player B is my enemy.
In PvE, Player A is the player.
Player B is the boss.

Player A advances and he's now doing fine in PvE. There never was an issue of OP in PvE at all, because as bosses's HP grew, players's Damage Output grew as well.
But Player B is now the boss. Sure, he hits just as hard as the Humania PvE bosses.
But what does he lack? The massive chunk of HP.
And that's where the issue is.

How do we solve it?
How does it get fixed?

As said before, around L50 cap there was a sudden nerf of all stats, because they were becoming insanely OP like now.
I believe this OP was reached somewhere after sewers again, but never nerfed and faced continuation.
And that's when people started to notice the OP Bear's Dodge and Mage's Damage Output.

But, the solution is not to go and re-nerf us. Nope. Is it really that efficient to nerf everything again every 3 or 4 caps?

No, stats will keep having to grow.
And I say stats, I mean ALL stats. Including TRUE DEFENSIVE ones.
Increase Health. Just make STR only give more armor, HP regen, and dodge.
Of course, regen should still increase. It's been at 40 HP regen, and then fluctuating over and over.
Just let it increase.
With more regen, more HP, the critical and other factors make less of a difference.
So what if the person dodges 5 times?
If each person does 500 damage per second, and we have 500,000 HP, it's not going to matter as much as now.
That's an extreme scale, but you get the point.
The solution is not only to increase HP, but rather on a second note, to mitigate such OP effects of the stats we experience now.
Thus, PvP fights should last longer and become more strategized (using skills and regens wisely) rather than a spamfest to see who has better luck with dodging and damage output.

On a final note, I believe Darkterror said something about increases from uncrafted to crafted.
1 Damage, 1 Armor is uncrafted. 1 Damage, 2 Armor is crafted.
I agree that you say this is an increase.
But it is ABSOLUTELY NOT a slight increase at all.
Instead of considering numerical values, consider variability and percentage values.
Substitue 1 by X. Armor is now 2X, which is 100% MORE.

Realistically, total armor for Wand Mage is 200. With your model and the same ratio/proportionate severity, you suggest that when we go from uncrafted to crafted, the armor increases from 200 to 400.

I think you mean from 1 to 1.1. Thus, it's a 10% increase.
So 200->220.

As a final note, I believe that STS has had a lot of trouble concerning developing new gear.
Of course they can expect the pressure and normal complaints from the player community about how crappy the new set bonus effect or gear looks like.
So they think about that A LOT.
But what the players do not realize is that the gear balance is just as equal of a factor in their development.
And so, they have twice the pressure; the fear of being mocked over rubber-ducky looks and the fear of screwing up the whole game and making one class superior multiple-fold in relation to the others.

Post any comments, for this is a discussion.

(phew dat waz rly hard i mean i nvr wrote a lot of formal stuf liek dat xD I liek ez talk mach bettr! xDDD)

slaveleia
11-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Nice job writing & the analysis of the game, I've always wondered why they never increased health on the characters! All the enemies have tons of health & we've stayed the same the whole time. Everything is just brutal now in absorbing damage from mobs or bosses. I know that increases players buying platinum & running elixirs nonstop but I don't like getting hit once & losing half my health?
I think we need more h/s like you stated...eating health pots & spamming heal isn't doing enough. I miss the Enchanted set of the Sewers & that outrageous h/s lol. It's like you said they have forgotten about that stat of h/s...we don't need m/s that high.

Deathofan
11-10-2012, 10:36 PM
An increase of hp would better balance endgame rather than a nerf on stats. I agree things have gone out off control caps ago probably since fang cap, I really like the idea of an increase of hp to balance both pve & pvp, there are some parts like frozen nightmares that already have a damage cap on mobs, no matter how much armor you have the mobs on snowball always hit 31 or 32 dmg. Maybe a certain increase of hp gained per lv up would be balance out all everything.

Superduper
11-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Great synopsis. I fully agree, just don't have time to say it inso many words.

XghostzX
11-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Hopefully this is all taken into account. Thanks for taking the time to do this :)

What's the point of Mana? Everyone is already maxed out with mana, the only class is ever concerns are mages because they can use mana shield. I want to go back to the ancient swamps cap, we're we could run out mana! This focuses on group play.

Darkterror
11-11-2012, 12:53 AM
U cant say it better :) Very well explained. I did miss to give a more complex example. I just dont like to use math to explain stuff here ("lazy yawn" ). Its fair enogh that u share values because not everyone trully understands the complicity of the math goin on here lol

People good at math have advantage on this kind of games :) I mean not everyone knows how to manipulate variables...or do complex equations.

And hopefully a balance to this problem its found soon. Whitout having to change gameplay too drasticaly . Its definately a massive problem.
Id love fights to be more strategy based rather than "instakill". If the game sistem has to be altered. It shall be welcome. To adapt to a new gameplay its a challenge to any player. Plus gives others a chance to get a better understanding of the math and new gameplay.
We can definately spect big changes on our way!

Since that moment hasn't come we can only just play on!

Energizeric
11-11-2012, 04:53 AM
There actually wasn't much of a difference between glyph and fang gear. In fact, when the cap was 66, about half of end game players were still using demonic, and as a bear there was much discussion over which was better, demonic mace set or crafted orlok sword set.

WhoIsThis
11-11-2012, 06:56 AM
It was a predictable outcome. Myself and several others pointed this out in 2011. For my part, I made recommendations a while back.

But yes, you cannot for example have 100% dodge. On that note, there is no easy fix, barring major changes to older tiers of gear, which would in turn require rebalancing the dungeons.