PDA

View Full Version : Can we start a general definition thread?

Aerospacegod
04-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm sure it seems dumb but this is my first mmo. Common terms used and their definition would be helpful to many I'm sure. Thanks!

Nerf? A weapon that got spec'd down?
Tank? Someone focusing purely on defense?
Dps? Damage per second?

Just a couple Im fuzzy on, post others you know or are stumped on. Remember there is no dumb question, even on the internet!

Deathshock
04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm sure it seems dumb but this is my first mmo. Common terms used and their definition would be helpful to many I'm sure. Thanks!

Dps? Damage per second?

Just a couple Im fuzzy on, post others you know or are stumped on. Remember there is no dumb question, even on the internet!

Nerf:To make worse or weaken, usually in the context of weakening something in order to balance out a game (urbandic).
Tank: Person who soaks up the damage and pulls the aggro.
Dps: Damage per second. Often used to qualify how much damage weapons do in MMORPG's rather than by cryptic damage range and speed ratings (urbandic). Damage do-ers

Aerospacegod
04-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks gotta check my equip, I have the highest damage weapon I have in inventory equipped, it might though be slow and therefore not the best choice.

Deathshock
04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks gotta check my equip, I have the highest damage weapon I have in inventory equipped, it might though be slow and therefore not the best choice.

If theres anything else you need defined either ask or google it, there are plenty of lists out there with general MMO jargon.

Splurd
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Dps? Damage per second?

But there are lazy people. :cool:

Seriously though, you can google all these if you wanted to find out. Or use urban dictionary.

setec
04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
A glossary of terms might not be bad her for new players though. The forums should be a one stop shop for all things PL.

Furrawn
06-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Dps? Damage per second?

Aerospace-
I mailed bodhi a couple of days ago about this and wanted to know if it would be good idea for the wiki to have etiquette and jargon to help out new players... He added it to wiki & told me to start a thread to get info that would help write it... I was just coming to do that...lol

I guess ur doing it now... Ok:)

As for all the folks suggesting noobs just go google something- that's not helpful OR nice. I was new to rpg. I don't want to go google words. For this game, info should be in one place to help new folks... Same for etiquette and how some typical team structures work...

You know, at some point in ur lives, you were new to MMO/RPG too...
Why make it hard on new folks? That's just bad manners.

Diz
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
When I was new to MMOs, we didn't even have jargon!

Lil whippersnappers

Furrawn
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Lol lol

Ah patience grasshopper :)

Dizko
06-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Mobs - Monsters
Adds - Additional monsters that hang out with the bosses. Eg 'Wait here and i'll pull frogmar over here so the adds leave.'

zorprimus
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Leeroy, leeeeeeroyyy jenkiiiins, he/she leeroyed: to attack a large group of mobs when your group is not ready or already fighting against a group of mobs. Performing this act leads to a wipe and lots of bruises for your toon.

Dizko
06-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I HAVE SOLO'D FRRROOGMMMAAARRRR:

Often used to state your superiority.

Avadonna
06-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Thank you for starting this thread. Not all of us are as quick as splurd to assume that you or any other new player are lazy or have never bothered to try to figure out terms on your own.
I had to ask here what pinks and purples are. Those being terms that are unique to this game, as far as I know, no amount of googling would have helped me figure that out. And urban dictionary would have me believe that ursans, avians and mages alike were all going gaga over car titles, first dibs on a girl, reefer, and sandwich bags...Sure, I could have asked in game, but I don't play that way.

Warchanter
06-02-2010, 11:58 AM
arggo - entering an enemies attack radius...
leech- someone who does nothing and gains xp and gold/items off you or others.
noob,nub,nublet,niblet,n00b- inexperienced player.
gg-good game
lol- laugh out loud
wts-willing to sell.want to sell etc
wtt- willing to trade
wtb-willing to buy
OBO-or best offer
lf-looking for

Dizko
06-02-2010, 12:08 PM
WWDD - What would Dizko do?

Diz
06-02-2010, 12:43 PM
And urban dictionary would have me believe that ursans, avians and mages alike were all going gaga over car titles, first dibs on a girl, reefer, and sandwich bags...

Wait, you mean to tell me... D'OH!!! Suddenly it makes a lot more sense.

Avadonna
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
lol, now you know if you heard someone say they have pinks on Avadonna.... it wasn't what you thought! ;)

Gwendaline
06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
WWDD - What would Dizko do?

Bahahahahaha!!!!!

YGB!- Your gonna BLEED!!!!
NPC-Non Player Character
Mp3-audio-specific format that was designed by the Moving Picture Experts Group

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Farming- playing to get loot by jumping into a game and killing the boss for the good loot and then exiting the game w/out killing the other bad guys.

I STILL don't know what TRAIN means... Can anyone help?

Angriff
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I STILL don't know what TRAIN means... Can anyone help?

To run around and get aggro on several mobs, that then follow you like cars of a train.

Justg
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Training is when you go aggro a bunch of mobs and lead them back to other people. It is why we leash them... they return home after a certain range.

Two-fer!

Edit: You're too fast, Angriff!

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Training is when you go aggro a bunch of mobs and lead them back to other people. It is why we leash them... they return home after a certain range.

Two-fer!

JustG & Angriff~

Now I have a word for that wretched horrible thing that some people do when playing- ESP in the swamp. My hubby asks me to join his swamp games sometimes because they get into trouble and apparently I play my paladin a bit like a tank:) I go in to rescue them and they're all running every which way and then back to me while being trailed by millions of crocs. The hubby laughs as I curse how they all play.

I was trying to lvl my normal Mage JeanneDarc the other day. The other players, ESP an upstart archer, would run into a room FULL of bad guys and then run back out with the bad guys in tow. Then we all die cause we're low levels. I said, "don't run full throttle into the middle of a room. You run back out and you bring them all on us at once. We aren't strong enough."
The upstart young archer said, "I can go into the middle of a room. I'm strong."
And he did.
And he died:)

Train. Great word! Love it!
Thanks for that definition!!!

Angriff
06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
It is why we leash them... they return home after a certain range.

You can't touch this bear at lunch break!!

I like that the mobs are leashed, training in past mmo's could be quite destructive. My question is when they return home do they revert to full health?

Justg
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
They do heal on return... otherwise you get kiting ... where players bring NPCs to the edge of their leash range and continue to attack.

Angriff
06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice reply, fast and useful. I was trying to tie in another mmo term but couldn't think of one, I didn't think zerging had a place in the game yet.

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
The crocs in the swamp have a pretty long leash lol...

What is it called when someone uses a BLAST (arrrggggh) of magic like fire blast on two measly crocs and the blast causes crocs to SWARM over to us?

Justg
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe unintentional aggro?

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
JustG~

Ok. I'll bite. What is aggro?

Aggression?

ratava
06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Great thread! Good reading...

As with other MMO's in PL you can do all these classic things! eg kiting, pulling mobs/aggro as per the definitions.

kiting - Attacking at arm's length a mob with a ranged weapon and even running in circles around it to avoid being caught while attacking - very useful for rdps (ranged damage per second) classes.

Aggro - When you "hit" a mob, it makes it mad and starts chasing you. You can hit several mobs at once to "pull" their aggro so they chase towards you.

gj - good job / successful wipe (of mobs) is good msg to use.

SlipperyJim
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
What is it called when someone uses a BLAST (arrrggggh) of magic like fire blast on two measly crocs and the blast causes crocs to SWARM over to us?
Zerg rush? ;) The swamps are especially bad for being zerg rushed, but they aren't the only place. The first time my enchantress (Atropos) cast a healing spell on the "Magic Castle" map (part of Balefort Castle), she was dead within seconds. Buried under a huge pile of guys in black armour.....

Sniping = Carefully picking off mobs one-by-one, usually with a ranged weapon, while being very careful not to draw too much aggro.
Soloing = Taking on a boss and/or an entire map by yourself. Usually not recommended, unless you're farming lower-level maps for gold.
Farming = Any highly-repetitive endeavor done to gather loot. The two main types of farming in PL are boss farming and gold farming. Boss farming is done for pink/purple loot, and Furrawn basically described it. Boss farmers join a map, kill a boss or two, and then quit the map to restart the process. Their goal is to maximize their chances of getting good drops in a minimum amount of time. Gold farming is completely different. Gold farmers usually solo maps that are lower-level than their characters. They aren't looking for XP, and they probably don't even care about fancy drops. Gold farmers are just trying to get more gold and/or loot than can be sold for gold.
Drops = Loot that mobs (especially bosses) "drop" when they're killed.

Diz
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
They do heal on return... otherwise you get kiting ... where players bring NPCs to the edge of their leash range and continue to attack.

Kiting is attempting to keep distance between the target[s] and the kiter, while trying to deal consistant damage. It does not have to be an NPC target and it does not deal with agro range. Note that some monsters attempt, rather weakly, to kite players.

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Ok... So if I go into the swamp boss brawl match, and I sneak around with my team luring a few crocs to the edge of their leash and killing them. Then going on to get a few more... Each time being careful NOT to use the few magics that nerf (Did I use it correctly?) and cause croc mobs, then am I sniping and kiting?

And is that good? Bad? Or personal preference?

I like to strategize... So I enjoy trying to do a swamp boss brawl without anyone dying...

Diz
06-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Nerf wasn't used correctly. The way PL is set up, there is no dynamic "agro threshold" in regards to agro range. Meaning that gaining agro from a mob is what we would call hard agro. Basically you're only going to draw agro one of two ways - targeting the mob [term means monster not a group, if group then mobs plural] with damage or a skill [like a debuff such as Nightmare], or entering it's agro range. There is no agro threshold for initiating agro - either someone or something gains hard agro or not. In other words, a weak spell doesn't have less of a chance to create initial agro compared to a huge spell that crits. However after initial agro there is a primitive agro "threat meter". In simplest terms this means whoever is causing the most damage could potentially gain the mobs agro off of a target. This is soft threat changing. Hard threat changing would be if, say, the player that the mob is focusing on is killed - mob will do a hard agro threat check and should typically make a bee-line for whoever is next highest on the mobs threat meter. It can get more complex with targets switching places on threat meters, ppl dying, multiple mobs, etc.

If you're sneaking around specifically targeting certain mobs and then kiting them to a safer or more advantageous position then this is called pulling. Pulling is almost exclusively a PvE tactic. Pulling is a form of what would be "initial kiting" because it is kiting but slighty different in that is typically a premeditated strategy and kiting is usually a spontaneous and reactionary tactic.

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Nerf wasn't used correctly. The way PL is set up, there is no dynamic "agro threshold" in regards to agro range. Meaning that gaining agro from a mob is what we would call hard agro. Basically you're only going to draw agro one of two ways - targeting the mob [term means monster not a group, if group then mobs plural] with damage or a skill [like a debuff such as Nightmare], or entering it's agro range. There is no agro threshold for initiating agro - either someone or something gains hard agro or not. In other words, a weak spell doesn't have less of a chance to create initial agro compared to a huge spell that crits. However after initial agro there is a primitive agro "threat meter". In simplest terms this means whoever is causing the most damage could potentially gain the mobs agro off of a target. This is soft threat changing. Hard threat changing would be if, say, the player that the mob is focusing on is killed - mob will do a hard agro threat check and should typically make a bee-line for whoever is next highest on the mobs threat meter. It can get more complex with targets switching places on threat meters, ppl dying, multiple mobs, etc.

If you're sneaking around specifically targeting certain mobs and then kiting them to a safer or more advantageous position then this is called pulling. Pulling is almost exclusively a PvE tactic. Pulling is a form of what would be "initial kiting" because it is kiting but slighty different in that is typically a premeditated strategy and kiting is usually a spontaneous and reactionary tactic.

Lol...
I had to read your post like three times to understand it... New words & new concepts- but I'm getting there...

However, I'm completely befuddled by the fact that there is no aggro range.
I've tested my skills. I've watched other people use skills. If I use lightning, frostbite, or even nightmare (nightmare requires a bit more space) then I can kill a croc with another croc pacing within easy view. A large range magic like fire blast brings in the pacing crocs and even some crocs I couldn't see before. I know for a fact that is the case.

So that isn't aggro range? What is it?

Ok... buff and debuff
Any easy to understand explanation of these and how they work??

Diz
06-03-2010, 03:06 PM
There is agro range, I think you're mistaken things like AoE [Area of Effect, which is the range or area of impact that a particular skill or action causes. Think Firestorm, compared to Lightning, compared to your wand. Different areas of effect, some singular, some circular, some dynamic] and maximum range for agro range.

Imagine around each mob, an invisible circle. As soon as a player enters that invisible circle, the agro range has been breached. The mob will then begin to attack the player who entered its agro range with hard agro. The only other realistic way to draw hard agro and initiate combat with a monster is to be able to target it with a skill or weapon or damage, without entering this invisible circle. This would be impossible for say, a tank bear who uses a shield and sword and likes to melee with his weapon.

There is also maximum agro range. Lets do another invisible circle analogy. We already know there is an invisible agro range circle around each mob, that will trigger an attack if the circle is breached by a player. Now lets add another, larger circle - the maximum agro range circle. This circle dictates whether or not a mob will reset to it's original, non-agro position before the fight began. If the mob is, say, kited or knocked back by Firestorm enough, it will leave this larger maximum agro range circle. This will cause the mob to reset to its original state, without you being able to damage it while it runs back and regenerates its health to 100%.

Buffing is raising stats beyond their natural, original state via an outside force or external source. Like a spell, a weapon/armor proc, or the new powerups in the PvP maps. Different "buffs" raise different stats. These can be direct stats like, maximum hit points, or indirect, like dodge %. Buffing is typically a defensive and yet potentially powerful action by nature, and usually provide passive or indirect gains to the player that are still worth utilizing.

Debuffing is lowering stats beyond their natural, original state. Exact opposite of buffing. Debuffing is an offensive and aggressive action by nature, however the impact is has on a player is typically less direct and immediate than say, damage or healing.

Warchanter
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Camp - To remain in one strategic place and repeatedly kill people or mobs
Grind - Performing mindlessly repetitive tasks in order to level up or proceed in the game
Lag - Time delay between sending a command to the game and your character actually performing the action.
Lagger - A person who lags your game(see above)
Owned - lol creamed aka Pwned (wen ur teabagged)

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
There is agro range, I think you're mistaken things like AoE [Area of Effect, which is the range or area of impact that a particular skill or action causes. Think Firestorm, compared to Lightning, compared to your wand. Different areas of effect, some singular, some circular, some dynamic] and maximum range for agro range.

Imagine around each mob, an invisible circle. As soon as a player enters that invisible circle, the agro range has been breached. The mob will then begin to attack the player who entered its agro range with hard agro. The only other realistic way to draw hard agro and initiate combat with a monster is to be able to target it with a skill or weapon or damage, without entering this invisible circle. This would be impossible for say, a tank bear who uses a shield and sword and likes to melee with his weapon.

There is also maximum agro range. Lets do another invisible circle analogy. We already know there is an invisible agro range circle around each mob, that will trigger an attack if the circle is breached by a player. Now lets add another, larger circle - the maximum agro range circle. This circle dictates whether or not a mob will reset to it's original, non-agro position before the fight began. If the mob is, say, kited or knocked back by Firestorm enough, it will leave this larger maximum agro range circle. This will cause the mob to reset to its original state, without you being able to damage it while it runs back and regenerates its health to 100%.

Buffing is raising stats beyond their natural, original state via an outside force or external source. Like a spell, a weapon/armor proc, or the new powerups in the PvP maps. Different "buffs" raise different stats. These can be direct stats like, maximum hit points, or indirect, like dodge %. Buffing is typically a defensive and yet potentially powerful action by nature, and usually provide passive or indirect gains to the player that are still worth utilizing.

Debuffing is lowering stats beyond their natural, original state. Exact opposite of buffing. Debuffing is an offensive and aggressive action by nature, however the impact is has on a player is typically less direct and immediate than say, damage or healing.

Ok- buff basically bolsters our stats to do more damage to NPCs.
And debuff basically weakens the stats of the NPCs so we can damage them more.

Right?

The invisible circle helps explain the aggro range- thank you...
I do know that if the NPC gets back home via blast or whatever they can heal...

I'm saying though that using a skill with a wide area of AOE like a mage's fire blast breaches the aggro range of some NPCs that were not previously activated and causes them to attack whereas the smaller AOE skills don't have that effect.

Diz
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Buffs and debuffs are universal; they are not limited to PvE but are highly important in PvP.

Buffs are for you and your party members, people you want to benefit from them.
Debuffs are for the enemy and their cohorts, people you want to put a hamper on.

There are other factors besides an "invisible circle" but this is the basic principle that will help guide you to have a better understanding of the nuances of fighting mobs in a game like Pocket Legends.
When they run back home and heal, they are resetting. The easiest way to handle this in game is to just try and keep them within a particular area - pulling them away from other groups as you initiate the combat, and keeping them in a designated area where they are not too far away from their home spot. Resets can be devestating in certain situations, and a good thing at other times, but if the pulls are controlled and the party has a handle on things, you want to maximize your ability of CC, or crowd control, to keep them where YOU want them. Skills you might use on your mage are Frostbolt, Ice Storm, etc.

Yes, some AoEs are very large and some are small. Fire wands or staves, for example, can proc little explosions that do damage to other mobs adjacent to the targeted mob. This is probably the smallest AoE I have observed in the game, and is a dynamic AoE because it is target-based in regards to where the area of effect will be. Ice Storm, Fire Storm, Lightning, they all work differently, etc. Some big AoEs, some small AoEs.

The rule of thumb in every game featuring skills or spells with AoE is this - know the limits. Theoretically, any skill or spell that does AoE damage can do infinite damage - it would just require X amount of targets being damaged. So while the sky is literally the limit for AoEs, and the resourcefulness of them can never be understated, the survivability diminishes with each usage because you are then asking for everybody else to kick your butt [so to speak]. It boils down to knowing when to use AoE and when to not - sometimes you are trying to help CC a mob before things get sloppy with adds [additional mobs], but you know if you accidently mistarget or use it in a certain area or certain time, then it will also do damage to another mob that would place you highest on its threat meter [an example of this is when two mobs are on a single target, lets say a bear tank, and you are both focusing your actions on a single one, but then you accidently hit the other one, and since the bear is only doing damage to the first one, the second one comes over to you since its agro with the bear wasn't high due to no returned damage... ugh this is getting too detailed], and now you're making things sloppy for the entire group. And maybe you even pulled a new mob that wasn't even in the fight, and now you've got two mobs on you when you shouldn't have any. This is probably the most incoherent paragraph I have ever written and if you managed to make it through I applaud you and award you a Medal of Honor.

Furrawn
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I get a medal of honor:)

AND I understood.
I do use fire blast- but only in situations where the benefit outweighs the cost of activating possible additional mobs (which is rare but happens) OR when I'm aware of where enemies are so I know using a long-range AOE skill won't bring in additional mobs.

Thanks, Diz!
That last paragraph was not incoherent and it actually helped a lot!

SlipperyJim
06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I get a medal, too! :)

Thanks, Diz. I had a basic knowledge of aggro before your explanation, but I feel like I just earned a college degree on the subject. However, the risk of providing good explanations is that you get punished ... with more questions!

Well, just one more question. How do non-offensive skills/spells affect aggro? My main consideration is healing. I know that healing generates aggro. (Poor Atropos has been swarmed a few times for daring to heal her party.) How is that aggro generated? Do the mobs have to be within the healing AoE, or do I have to be within their aggro range? Worst of all, is it the intersection between the healing AoE and the aggro range? In other words, is it anywhere the invisible circles (nice analogy) could overlap?

As a follow-up (okay, two questions, I lied), I'd be interested to know how Taunt and/or Beckon affect mob aggro. I've noticed that Taunt will almost always draw all nearby mobs' aggro to me ... for a short while. However, some of those mobs will often go back to attacking their original target after a few seconds. Why?

Gwendaline
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Is the medal made of gold?

Diz
06-04-2010, 05:30 PM
...no, chocolate wrapped in tin foil...

Furrawn
06-06-2010, 03:54 AM
I get a medal, too! :)

Thanks, Diz. I had a basic knowledge of aggro before your explanation, but I feel like I just earned a college degree on the subject. However, the risk of providing good explanations is that you get punished ... with more questions!

Well, just one more question. How do non-offensive skills/spells affect aggro? My main consideration is healing. I know that healing generates aggro. (Poor Atropos has been swarmed a few times for daring to heal her party.) How is that aggro generated? Do the mobs have to be within the healing AoE, or do I have to be within their aggro range? Worst of all, is it the intersection between the healing AoE and the aggro range? In other words, is it anywhere the invisible circles (nice analogy) could overlap?

As a follow-up (okay, two questions, I lied), I'd be interested to know how Taunt and/or Beckon affect mob aggro. I've noticed that Taunt will almost always draw all nearby mobs' aggro to me ... for a short while. However, some of those mobs will often go back to attacking their original target after a few seconds. Why?

First- these are defs from another thread-
The correct term for "people watcher" in an MMO is bank sitter.

The term for someone who usually stays in town[s] or within guard zones is townie.
Credit to Diz

Also, what is the answer to slipperyjim's question? I'm curious, too.
I notice a heal can bring the bad guys running so it hits their invisible circles?

The medal is chocolate wrapped in GOLD foil (made to look like tin foil)...
And it has great stats:)

Diz
06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
[part 1 of 2]

SlipperyJim, I never saw your post. My bad.

I touched on these concepts very briefly in post #35 [page 3]. The main concern you're asking about is what would be called a "threat meter".

Every mob in the game has a threat meter. The threat meter dictates what target the mob will focus on. Learning why mobs change targets and react to different skills and actions is the key to understanding each mob's threat meter. Now, before we go any further, I must state the following -

I do not know whether or not there is a 'global' threat meter algorithm, or if each mob has a uniquely-coded 'local' threat meter. Understanding which way the mobs in PL are coded would be beneficial in truly understanding the behavior of mobs in Pocket Legends. Let me give a theoretical example of what the two algorithms would be like.

In a PL world where all mobs share a coded global threat meter, each mob would share a piece of code that tells them how to gauge and react to their threat meter.

In a PL world where all mobs have uniquely coded local threat meters, each mob would behave differently, according to their mob's set threat meter parameters.

Lets extrapolate these two examples into practical analogies.

1) Lets say in the global threat meter Pocket Legends, the threat meter was coded with strict rules that basically say the mob should attempt to focus on whoever is doing the most damage. In this way, whoever is doing the most damage will simply become the current [hard] target or find him/herself slowly creeping up the threat meter ladder and is next in line as a target [soft]. Lets also pretend this threat meter is coded for no overtaking of the hard position [no #2 on the threat list jumping into #1 just because of dps being higher than #1]. This means that every single mob in the game is going to react to damage [and damage per second] in this exact same manner. This means you simply get a tank, the rest of the party goes gung-ho, and, barring the tank dying, the mob dies while focusing the entire time on the tank.

2) Lets say in the local threat meter Pocket Legends, the threat meters are coded for individual mobs to create dynamic behaviors between different mobs. In this example, lets pretend that level 1 zombies were coded to have an extreme aversion [or in proper terms 'hate'] to fire. Considering that there are things like fire staves, fire wands, fire spells, flaming swords, etc... lets say they actually do 'fire' based damage . Lets pretend that Fire damage does more damage to these zombies than Ice damage. Then in this case, fire damage would clearly be the more effective way to do dps. However, what if the zombies were coded to not only take 2x from fire-based damage, but also were coded to take 2x the agro from fire-based damage? Would it be too hard to imagine a tank doing regular damage finding the mob switching off of him and targeting the mage spamming his fire staff?

These two examples are just that - examples. They may even contain concepts that are not even a part of Pocket Legends. However, they are simply there to illustrate the differences between local and global threat meters.

In simplest terms, a global threat meter that all mobs are coded by would be incredibly shallow and much easier to learn how to combat.

Now that we understand the two types of threat meters [there are others but these two set a tone for all PvE within a game featuring threat meters and agro], we begin to understand that the type of threat meter being used within the game will impact how the player interacts with that threat meter. Again, the examples were only used to illustrate how a player would interact with mobs differently if their behavior was dynamic.

Now, lets get down to nuts and bolts. Sorry if that part was really long and had nothing to do with your original question Jim, but it's important to know what type of playing field you're on before you start to practice and play on it.

Jim, you asked how is agro generated. Agro is dictated and generated by the threat meter. [I]Imagine the threat meter like a baseball lineup. Someone is currently up to bat [current target] and either way - a hit, a strikeout, or an out -- someone is definitely coming up to bat after the current player's fate is decided.

Whoever is currently at the plate and batting, they're the hard target. They could've been soft before, but that isn't really important now that he's the hard target, eh?

Whoever is standing in the on-deck circle, taking their warm-up swings, and studying the pitcher before his turn - this is a soft target. He/she is the highest priority soft target.

Soft [and hard] can be explained within the context of this analogy, as well. Even though it is apparently obvious that the player in the on-deck circle is next up to hit, well, things can change. It could be 2 outs and the player hitting gets out too. Or maybe the manager decides to use a 'pinch hitter' and exchange the on-deck player for another player when their turn to bat comes up. Is this making any sense? The point is that a soft target can change. The only limits on the changing [or reordering of the threat meter] is going to be dictated by the way its threat meter was coded.

[read the next post for part 2]

Diz
06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
[part 2 of 2]

In WoW there are mobs that will change targets twice a second, and completely obliterate a lot of meta-game "threat meter" knowledge that people have accumulated throughout the years and games, lugging this stuff around in their brain. There are some mobs in WoW that won't switch targets, even if the highest target on their threat meter is not the hard target but the soft target [like if the soft is dealing out obscene burst damage and the tank is just meleeing] - and the WoW example was just used to give a reference point against another game. Sometimes you just encounter a mob that exhibits such random behavior that it is almost like a riddle, trying to figure out just its threat meter, and that's not even including such potential sinkholes like attack patterns, etc.

Again the whole dynamic of threat meters within Pocket Legends hinges upon whether or not the threat meters are individually coded for each mob or just a global behavior-inducer. I have a feeling the answer is out there, however, I am not much of a PvEer and when I do PvE I am not studying the mobs behavior enough to detect differences regarding the threat meter.

It can honestly be very complicated or very simple, and I really do not know the answer so I have primed you to handle the reality, either way that may be.

Now to try and answer your questions directly, Jim -

Non-offensive actions such as a buff, a heal, or even something arbitrary like a meditation / regeneration skill [focus maybe?] can potentially impact agro. Again this is going to be something that deals with the way a given mob's threat meter is going to dictate. Does the mob react to a heal fiercely because it conceives a healer as someone drawing out the fight longer? Does the mob react to a heal fiercely because it conceives the target being healed as injured, and thus has a chance to kill it? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I know that there are plenty of other MMOs that show precedence for non-offensive actions causing, raising, or changing agro. This can get even deeper, as you also alluded to whether or not the agro would be caused to the target, to the caster, etc. To answer your question more intimately, my personal answer is that a healer needs to focus on reacting. Know your limits, know your own targets and your enemies targets, and react accordingly. As a healer you want to finish things, not start them.

Also the invisible circles is just an analogy. Theres a lot more to mob ranges and why they do a particular thing at a particular location - I suspect PL to be a little more shallow than the typical PvE MMO, but a good rule of thumb in general is that there is usually more than meets the eye with regards to mob AI.

Taunt and/or beckon would be a prime example of soft/hard threat meter dynamics. When you begin to understand how threat meters work, you realize that agro is basically designed to keep the order of things in check - tank fighting the monster, archer dpsing, mage healing. This is how class-based MMOs work.

Look, to be really blunt, any class-based MMO would almost fall apart entirely if the combat was not somehow "ordered". This is why a lot of players find PvP to be a more challenging form of combat [although considerably less rewarding; in fact, PvP usually takes items from the player over time (potion chugging, obtaining a gear set, etc.) while PvE gives them stuff over time]. Quick example -

Me and you are fighting two other identical players in a PvP arena. I am playing an elf mage you are playing a bear tank. If PvP were like PvE, then you would go off and start attacking either of their chars while I sit back and heal you, yada yada yada. Well, guess what - the other team doesn't want to do that. They want to attack me, because I am weaker, have less HPs, less Armor, and no way of defending myself. This is what it is like without threat meters and agro in a class-based MMO. People, and mobs, would just go about the fight in the most advantageous way possible, negating the basic order of things - tanks, dpsers, healers, and so on.

So, in a nutshell, Taunt and/or Beckon are basically gavels of order. They are a form of bulwarking against sloppy PvE. Taunt and/or Beckon help maintain the consistancy that is necessary to form teamwork against monsters. Again if the mob just attacked whoever it wanted, then classes would be a vanity-based choice and not a gameplay choice [in a PvE context].

Taunt and/or Beckon are the most direct methods of control surrounding threat meters and agro. They, like Heal in some ways, are an "oh sh__" button. Also, like Heal, they are a "status quo" button. They keep things neat, orderly, help to clean up messes and get people on the right track, and all within the span of a couple seconds.

Technically speaking these two abilities are, at their core, agro modifiers. They basically are instant hard/soft threat meter rearrangers. They are target swappers. They are temporary windows of opportunity for the tank to get a handle on the mob, the DPS to move into a better position or launch a huge burst attack without fear of instant retaliation, and they are a miniature stop-watch that gives mages enough time to heal injured players who are thankful to have a mob off their butt.

There is so much that is potentially involved in agro and threat meters that there are literally jobs out there in the real world that pay nerds to sit around and devise new and challenging ways for mobs to behave in games. Typically these mobs are not very nice. Sometimes it takes months for thousands of different groups and/or guilds to finally achieve success [wtfpwning the mob]. In this perspective it is understandable that some players take their mob hunting very seriously and that agro and threat meters can be very complex concepts that are not readily or easily understand and disassembled like a pile of legos.

Whether or not Pocket Legends features quality AI and how the mobs are coded with respect to agro and threat meters and behaviors remains to be seen, because the game is so young and the developers surely have bigger and better plans for PvE, while we as the community have barely scratched the surface in regards to mob/player interaction.

More knowledge is required, Jim; perhaps you should be the one to become the master of Pocket Legends monsters... perhaps you shall be the one to create a compendium of mob behavior, or at least "crack the code"!!!!!!!!!!!

Furrawn
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
[part 2 of 2]

In WoW there are mobs that will change targets twice a second, and completely obliterate a lot of meta-game "threat meter" knowledge that people have accumulated throughout the years and games, lugging this stuff around in their brain. There are some mobs in WoW that won't switch targets, even if the highest target on their threat meter is not the hard target but the soft target [like if the soft is dealing out obscene burst damage and the tank is just meleeing] - and the WoW example was just used to give a reference point against another game. Sometimes you just encounter a mob that exhibits such random behavior that it is almost like a riddle, trying to figure out just its threat meter, and that's not even including such potential sinkholes like attack patterns, etc.

Again the whole dynamic of threat meters within Pocket Legends hinges upon whether or not the threat meters are individually coded for each mob or just a global behavior-inducer. I have a feeling the answer is out there, however, I am not much of a PvEer and when I do PvE I am not studying the mobs behavior enough to detect differences regarding the threat meter.

It can honestly be very complicated or very simple, and I really do not know the answer so I have primed you to handle the reality, either way that may be.

Now to try and answer your questions directly, Jim -

Non-offensive actions such as a buff, a heal, or even something arbitrary like a meditation / regeneration skill [focus maybe?] can potentially impact agro. Again this is going to be something that deals with the way a given mob's threat meter is going to dictate. Does the mob react to a heal fiercely because it conceives a healer as someone drawing out the fight longer? Does the mob react to a heal fiercely because it conceives the target being healed as injured, and thus has a chance to kill it? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I know that there are plenty of other MMOs that show precedence for non-offensive actions causing, raising, or changing agro. This can get even deeper, as you also alluded to whether or not the agro would be caused to the target, to the caster, etc. To answer your question more intimately, my personal answer is that a healer needs to focus on reacting. Know your limits, know your own targets and your enemies targets, and react accordingly. As a healer you want to finish things, not start them.

Also the invisible circles is just an analogy. Theres a lot more to mob ranges and why they do a particular thing at a particular location - I suspect PL to be a little more shallow than the typical PvE MMO, but a good rule of thumb in general is that there is usually more than meets the eye with regards to mob AI.

Taunt and/or beckon would be a prime example of soft/hard threat meter dynamics. When you begin to understand how threat meters work, you realize that agro is basically designed to keep the order of things in check - tank fighting the monster, archer dpsing, mage healing. This is how class-based MMOs work.

Look, to be really blunt, any class-based MMO would almost fall apart entirely if the combat was not somehow "ordered". This is why a lot of players find PvP to be a more challenging form of combat [although considerably less rewarding; in fact, PvP usually takes items from the player over time (potion chugging, obtaining a gear set, etc.) while PvE gives them stuff over time]. Quick example -

Me and you are fighting two other identical players in a PvP arena. I am playing an elf mage you are playing a bear tank. If PvP were like PvE, then you would go off and start attacking either of their chars while I sit back and heal you, yada yada yada. Well, guess what - the other team doesn't want to do that. They want to attack me, because I am weaker, have less HPs, less Armor, and no way of defending myself. This is what it is like without threat meters and agro in a class-based MMO. People, and mobs, would just go about the fight in the most advantageous way possible, negating the basic order of things - tanks, dpsers, healers, and so on.

So, in a nutshell, Taunt and/or Beckon are basically gavels of order. They are a form of bulwarking against sloppy PvE. Taunt and/or Beckon help maintain the consistancy that is necessary to form teamwork against monsters. Again if the mob just attacked whoever it wanted, then classes would be a vanity-based choice and not a gameplay choice [in a PvE context].

Taunt and/or Beckon are the most direct methods of control surrounding threat meters and agro. They, like Heal in some ways, are an "oh sh__" button. Also, like Heal, they are a "status quo" button. They keep things neat, orderly, help to clean up messes and get people on the right track, and all within the span of a couple seconds.

Technically speaking these two abilities are, at their core, agro modifiers. They basically are instant hard/soft threat meter rearrangers. They are target swappers. They are temporary windows of opportunity for the tank to get a handle on the mob, the DPS to move into a better position or launch a huge burst attack without fear of instant retaliation, and they are a miniature stop-watch that gives mages enough time to heal injured players who are thankful to have a mob off their butt.

There is so much that is potentially involved in agro and threat meters that there are literally jobs out there in the real world that pay nerds to sit around and devise new and challenging ways for mobs to behave in games. Typically these mobs are not very nice. Sometimes it takes months for thousands of different groups and/or guilds to finally achieve success [wtfpwning the mob]. In this perspective it is understandable that some players take their mob hunting very seriously and that agro and threat meters can be very complex concepts that are not readily or easily understand and disassembled like a pile of legos.

Whether or not Pocket Legends features quality AI and how the mobs are coded with respect to agro and threat meters and behaviors remains to be seen, because the game is so young and the developers surely have bigger and better plans for PvE, while we as the community have barely scratched the surface in regards to mob/player interaction.

More knowledge is required, Jim; perhaps you should be the one to become the master of Pocket Legends monsters... perhaps you shall be the one to create a compendium of mob behavior, or at least "crack the code"!!!!!!!!!!!

Diz-
You are amazing. The metaphors help so much- baseball lineup, etc....terrific detailed answers....
I'm not the one who should be writing any of the content for the wiki for newbies- you should....
I hereby bestow upon you the medal of TOP COOL DOG.
(There is a fantasy book by Garth Nix that has a character called the disreputable dog which I loved- so the dog medal is a compliment). :)

SamTheDog
06-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Nice reply, fast and useful. I was trying to tie in another mmo term but couldn't think of one, I didn't think zerging had a place in the game yet.

I know I'm late to the party, but great thread all. And "zerging", man that makes me smile. I miss Starcraft. Wish that Blizzard someday brings it as far as it has Warcraft.

SlipperyJim
06-09-2010, 09:56 AM
[part 2 of 2]
Holy doctoral dissertation, Batman! ;) If your last post was good for a college degree, these two posts oughta be worth a PhD or so....

More seriously, thank you for taking so much time to explain mob behavior to us. Most MMO veterans probably knew a lot of what you wrote, but I'm not an MMO veteran, and I didn't know it. So thank you! If this forum had some way to award points for helpfulness, I'd give you a bucketful of 'em. :)

In my PL experience, mobs tend to rush the healer when healing generates aggro, not the injured character(s). In other words, the badguys swarm the poor elf, not the manly bear who's taking all of the other shots. And this behavior is intelligent, because a good healer/tank combo could theoretically keep fighting forever. If the mob(s) kill the healer, then the tank will be overwhelmed eventually.

Although, now that I've written that, I seem to remember that "rush the healer!" aggro used to be a lot more severe than it is now. In fact, I think there was even a content update that specified a lower aggro level for healing....

Here it is! Update 46046:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?694-1.0-Content-Update-(46046)
Interestingly, the Devs buffed the Healing skill in the same update. So Healing became more effective and simultaneously generated less aggro. Healers had it rough before that update!

That observation matches my own experience. Taunt & Beckon don't seem to permanently switch mob targeting to the Ursan, but rather swap targets on a temporary basis. I think your explanation is correct here. Thank you again!

The more that we dig into this topic (mob aggro), the deeper we get. What I'm finally coming to understand is that aggro is basically AI programming in a very limited form. (No, the Pocket Legends servers are not the next Skynet!) And even limited AI can be formidable in its complexity. There are algorithms at the root of it all, and those algorithms can be understood, but doing so as players will require a lot of guesswork.

I have to ask: Diz, are/were you a game programmer? You seem to have a lot more knowledge about this topic than I'd expect from a hobbyist....

ME?! Heck, no! I'll add my own observations, but I don't have the expertise (or the time) to become the PL Mob Behavior Expert! I'm just trying to learn some things so that Epimetheus can be a better tank....

Diz
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Np, Jim. I think most of what I stated is just the type of stuff that is picked up if you play MMOs long enough. It's not rocket science, but PvE can be very challenging and exciting.

I like that they lowered Healing agro. My point in that section of the original post was just to show that while agro and threat meters can be very primitive in design and implementation, they can also be very deep and complex and emulate dynamic situations; the sky [or code] is the limit for mob AI, really. It's come a LONG way from the old school "cheating" style, to the more acceptable and practical "beefed" style [like how mobs have 10x hp/mp of players of similar level], to the insanely detailed and complex style seen in particular "end game raids" like in WoW, etc.

Taunt and Beckon are temporary, yes. However, I think I failed to accurately describe that the potential is there for Taunt and Beckon to create permanent threat meter switches. BECAUSE the Taunt and Beckon change the situation, it is surmisable that the threat meters can switch around and remain that way. For example, lets say theres a bear, an elf, and a zombie mob in a fight. The zombie is on the elf because the elf wandered into agro range. Elf is taking light damage while running away - not activating any skills. Bear taunts and temporarily becomes the main target of zombie. Bear starts going buck-wild on the zombie. Elf keeps running to safe distance and does nothing for several seconds. It's plausible that the zombie can switch to the bear permanently in this case. Or if the mob is killed - then it's a self contained [and in practice, permanent] situation. I could be wrong, I don't know a lot about Pocket Legends agro and meters in particular, but this is pretty much standard soft / hard agro switching that you see in your run-of-the-mill MMO.

Yes, mob AI can be very complex and exciting to interact with. Some luster leaves over time [like, say, killing the same end game boss in WoW 20 times just to see a particular item drop once... at that point you're only killing it for the item], but since the nature is to keep building [ie Alien Oasis], it keeps the carrot stick moving ahead of the horse sufficiently and in an engaging way. No I am not a programmer, I can barely code a website, but I have been playing MMOs since their inception a long time ago. I have been helping to design an independent [like Pocket Legends] MMO for over a year now, and I find Pocket Legends not only exciting and entertaining as a game but also very similar to my own dev situation. I find a lot of similarities between this game and Spacetime and my own situation, only Pocket Legends is about six months ahead of our schedule. And no I'm not working on a phone game and I'm not going to talk about my own stuff here on PL forums. Anyways, yes, I consider myself more than an enthusiast, but I would not call myself a professional. I've lost track of how many MMOs I've beta tested and I've done a lot of community work [GMing, Counselling, Admining] in games and their obligatory community outlets. Games are just a big part of my life, and I don't really take them super serious, I just find them to be fun and worth taking the time to figure out - like everybody else, I wanna be the best!

Someone is going to figure out the inner workings of the different AI scripts and whatnot in Pocket Legends, it's just a matter of time. At some point people will know the range for HPs a certain mob spawns with, every spell or skill it can use, etc. It's a lot of leg work, though, that's why wikis are huge for MMOs - each person giving input makes the homework easier.

tjornan
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
rez- revive/resseruct- mage spell

Angriff
06-15-2010, 04:04 PM
At some point people will know the range for HPs a certain mob

I noticed that when a mob returns to full health after being pulled to far from the spawn point, you can see the number of hp it regains. I think it was on AO but not to sure, I can't remember any details as to what class it was, it was just a standard mob, no boss, but it was 500ish HP on a mostly dead mob.