PDA

View Full Version : Level Cap (explicit and implicit), aka "I can't get any more XP!"

asommers
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
There have been a lot of heated debates about this issue, so I thought I'd try to explain a few things.

Let me first start off by saying there is one explicit level cap, and it's currently intentionally set at 30. We raise the explicit level cap by 5 with each new campaign we release. The most recently released campaign is The Lost Expedition.

It's perfectly reasonable to limit the amount of XP you get when facing mobs of a lower level -- most RPG games do this. If you're level 30, you won't get XP for fighting a level 1 mob, or a level 10 mob, or a level 20 mob. So, with that said, we chose 3 as the level difference limit. You don't get XP for mobs more than 3 levels below you (in fact, if 1 level below, you get 75%, 2 levels below, 50%, and 3 levels below, 25%). Now the game certainly doesn't say anywhere that you don't get XP for mobs more than 3 levels below you, but that will be addressed soon. The next client update introduces con colors next to the mob's health bar, so you'll be able to tell immediately if the mob you're about to fight is an easy kill or death on sight.

It's perfectly reasonable for campaigns to have mobs that are a specific level range. This is clearly stated in the campaign description. Forest Haven is for levels 1-10, Dark Forest is for levels 10-15, Balefort Castle is for levels 15-20, Fathom Crypts is for levels 20-25, and Lost Expedition is for levels 25-30. Since you don't get XP for mobs more than 3 levels below you, if you only play in Forest Haven, you're only going to get up to level 10 mobs. Once you hit level 13, you're no longer facing a mob that can give you XP.

Admittedly, the only concrete thing the game allows you to do right now is PvE (well, that and socialize in town). This is intentional. These games are by no means cheap to make, we felt that in order for the game to succeed, the first thing that had to be fun was the core combat mechanic, so our release centered on that. What you spent most of your time doing had to be fun, Fun, FUN. If the game allowed us to [barely] break even, we could afford to expand it. If it didn't, well, you wouldn't be here reading this post. Our next client update (detailed here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?635-Preview-of-Apple-Submission-this-week-(1.1))) introduces so much more to the game. Our technology roadmap (detailed here (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?463-Technology-Roadmap)) gives a high-level overview of you what we're committed to delivering.

As far as limiting access to campaigns if you're not of a certain level, we won't be doing this. We want you to play. So, should you only buy The Lost Expedition? That choice is yours, depends on what you like to do. But understand that when we add features to the game, they will more than likely only be available in specific areas of the world. For example (not set in stone):

Bank/Stash/Mailbox - Forest Haven
Quests - In all campaign townes
Vendors - In all campaign townes
Player Housing - Balefort Castle
PvP - Fathom Crypts
Pet Shop - Dark Forest
Lost Expedition - Explicit level cap
Others - future campaigns

We made it free so everyone could try it. We are a small, passionate group of game developers who have spent our hearts and minds creating a game unlike any other on the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Not everyone is going to like it, and we have recently gotten over that fact.

As always, we WELCOME your constructive feedback, criticism, and support.

-ALS

Prest87
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey Just wondering what pets would do. Would they be for looks or help u kill mobs?

Deathshock
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
You should sticky this for now

asommers
04-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Hey Just wondering what pets would do. Would they be for looks or help u kill mobs?

We will post more about various systems when we can.

-ALS

nerdherd
04-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Very well written and explained. Thanks for all the hard work!

Splurd
04-23-2010, 02:24 AM
cough so shouldnt the current cap be lvl 33? ;)

beatleariel
04-23-2010, 07:02 AM
You got my support guys!

Banned
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I hope there won't be any level restriction whiners anymore. And you guys should take a break after you finish with the new update. The new features you guys are adding should keep us busy for a while.

setec
04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Great post! Thanks.

btutterrow
04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
But understand that when we add features to the game, they will more than likely only be available in specific areas of the world. For example (not set in stone):

Bank/Stash/Mailbox - Forest Haven
Quests - In all campaign townes
Vendors - In all campaign townes
Player Housing - Balefort Castle
PvP - Fathom Crypts
Pet Shop - Dark Forest
Lost Expedition - Explicit level cap
Others - future campaigns

-ALS

This section is VERY important. I knew you guys were going to be hurt financially by making it so that someone could jump straight to a higher level area. This is an elegant solution to adding value to the current expansions, and giving everyone a reason to own them all. I look forward to seeing what is coming up.

Endless
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Looking forward to the new content! And don't worry about them haters!

AmonRaa
04-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Yup, great system. You did the right thing by making the app free. People who like this kind of games pay easily 10-15$ a month anyway, so a sporadic 2$ for a new campaign won't kill anyone.
I suppose you all heard about the 400.000 units of 25$ celestial horse thingy sold on WoW.
Bring the pets on!!

Invictus
04-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks again for your hard work in bringing us the new content. People need to realize that paying very little for an excellent game is a good thing.

Pocket Legends
04-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Great stuff coming our way. I'm still curious about pets. Can't wait to read more about it.

Puretwin
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Sounds good. Can't wait for pets. There better be a gerbil or a turtle. :3

Azrael
04-25-2010, 03:44 PM
The business model you guys have put together is absolutely fine. Quite frankly the vast majority of people who complain about the level cap or the payment system are people who have no intention of spending a dime on a game for their phone anyway; they have no interest in changing the payment system but rather they just don't want to pay at all.

Don't worry about they haters devs, your loyal community shall smite them! :cool:

AmonRaa
04-26-2010, 02:37 AM
yup. I've spent about 20$ on legends so far, mostly buying gold for two characters (enchanteress Does gobble down loads of blue potions)

If the game was for sale, it would cost easily 10$, and I wouldve bought it with no regret, so yeah, great marketing here.

Azrael
04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Never paid for gold, as I get far more than I can spend in game on my chantress as my warrior. But I've paid for map packs and two respecs

King Richie
04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
thats fantastic cause i have bought everything so far except items and an extra charachter and ive been feeling a little short on what i recived for my 1:54 € so i love the way your mixing things into different places !!! LOVE IT !!

Splurd
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
yup. I've spent about 20$ on legends so far, mostly buying gold for two characters (enchanteress Does gobble down loads of blue potions)

If the game was for sale, it would cost easily 10$, and I wouldve bought it with no regret, so yeah, great marketing here.

Honestly speaking, I would not have bought it. =p
Simply because I want to play a game first before plonking down money for it, which is why this "in app purchases" is good for me.

SlipperyJim
05-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Level cap is now 35, right? Need to update the first post....

theheavenlyone
05-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Perhaps u could add another way to get plat because I can't buy things from the app store

Avadonna
05-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Perhaps u could add another way to get plat because I can't buy things from the app store

If you don't mind my asking, Why can't you buy things from the app store?

ratava
05-29-2010, 12:39 PM
We want you to play. So, should you only buy The Lost Expedition? That choice is yours, depends on what you like to do. But understand that when we add features to the game, they will more than likely only be available in specific areas of the world.

This is a great idea! Adds value to each campaign.

Darkromantic
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Honestly it would make more sense to release a bunch of campains and put level restriction so lower levels couldnt just skip buying all the campains in the middle (money problem solved) It also opens up compatition who will be the highest most bad *** level and so on. I mean really pl is fun to play but when ur sitting there with more then half the pop at max level with all the items and money they could need you lose the (haha im better then you) aspect of the game. As much as i love pl it seems that it will never move on to be a competitive game. I yes i exadurated a bit on the level of the pop but thats just how it feels. Anyways i hope this game evolves soon otherwise the number of players will keep dropping. Sorry for incorrect spelling im in a hurry.

TrogZ
06-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Honestly it would make more sense to release a bunch of campains and put level restriction so lower levels couldnt just skip buying all the campains in the middle (money problem solved) It also opens up compatition who will be the highest most bad *** level and so on. I mean really pl is fun to play but when ur sitting there with more then half the pop at max level with all the items and money they could need you lose the (haha im better then you) aspect of the game. As much as i love pl it seems that it will never move on to be a competitive game. I yes i exadurated a bit on the level of the pop but thats just how it feels. Anyways i hope this game evolves soon otherwise the number of players will keep dropping. Sorry for incorrect spelling im in a hurry.

The number of players will keep dropping? Half the population maxed? Maybe maxed players are waiting for the next content update, like myself. And the last thing we need is PL turning into a bigger E-peen fight like WoW. PL is a nice little game just how it is without the high level of idiocy that surrounds most MMO's these days.

Darkromantic
06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Yea but whats the point of levels if ur not competing to be the highest? Might as well be level nothing and just put up new maps. Im just saying is all.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
07-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Yea but whats the point of levels if ur not competing to be the highest? Might as well be level nothing and just put up new maps. Im just saying is all.

Lol........

Kurlz
07-31-2010, 10:56 PM
he point of levels is to be able to use items that you cant use otherwise

Fabz
08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the explanation asommers!

TwinkTastical
08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Im LVL 45! Why cant i get anymore xp! meh..

Kurlz
08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Im LVL 45! Why cant i get anymore xp! meh..

well...first u have to go bungiee jumping from torch of the statue of liberty, then u gotta spin around in circles 20 times while chanting "POCKET LEGENDS!", after which you have to take a bubble bath in orange juice and vinegar. after that you should be able to get ur char to lvl 50.

also, you can substitute the orange juice with apple juce, but if you do you have to repeat the process again every other day.

lol

FluffNStuff
08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
well...first u have to go bungiee jumping from torch of the statue of liberty, then u gotta spin around in circles 20 times while chanting "POCKET LEGENDS!", after which you have to take a bubble bath in orange juice and vinegar. after that you should be able to get ur char to lvl 50.

lol

Didn't work ...
Oh crud, you said orange juice, not apple juice.
Does this mean I have to start again at the beginning?

Kurlz
08-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Didn't work ...

wow, u got to that quick...i guess i didnt edit fast enough...lol

nattissen_88
08-31-2010, 04:02 AM
lvl 45 is top lvl at the moment

icantgetkills
08-31-2010, 04:04 AM
Yer pets will be awesome but interesting watt you can do with them :) like the variety and if you can mount them etc

nattissen_88
08-31-2010, 04:32 AM
mounts should be a separet pet.

Kurlz
08-31-2010, 11:39 AM
lvl 45 is top lvl at the moment

joking around...lol...we know that already

Flamin
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
This thread should be in the New Players forum, not in the general discussion forum.

Kurlz
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
theres already one in the new players section, i think they just wanna make sure it gets seen.

bmc85uk
09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
And yet astonishingly so often it doesn't.

Kurlz
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
right? some people just dont pay attention at all...

Tailless
09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Yer pets will be awesome but interesting watt you can do with them :) like the variety and if you can mount them etc

I'm pretty sure that's illegal and just ... wrong
lol

Stratospaly
10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I am only level 30, but am I missing something in each town? I have only found venders in the starting town, and the swamps doesnt even have a town to give quests. I have not tried to go past that yet, but it feels odd going back to newbietown to buy pots every time.

cyberkamote
11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Im a new player and i noticed that we can play up to Dark Forest campaign which means that you can play for free up to lvl 15, right? Im now at 14 and still gaining xp at D.Forest. if so,i think page 1 of this thread should clearlt state this fact (what lvls are free and when do you start buying dungeons)

Also, at lvl.14 i am still gaining xp from zombies..i thought they were at lvl 10? And if what is written here at page 1, they are 3 levels lower and i shouldnt gain anything frm them right?

Sorry for being stupid..

Kurlz
11-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Didn't work ...

hehe, told ya it would work fluff, ur lvl 50 now arent you? lol

asommers
11-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Im a new player and i noticed that we can play up to Dark Forest campaign which means that you can play for free up to lvl 15, right? Im now at 14 and still gaining xp at D.Forest. if so,i think page 1 of this thread should clearlt state this fact (what lvls are free and when do you start buying dungeons)

Also, at lvl.14 i am still gaining xp from zombies..i thought they were at lvl 10? And if what is written here at page 1, they are 3 levels lower and i shouldnt gain anything frm them right?

Sorry for being stupid..

If you're playing in Dark Forest, you can play up to level 18. 15 is the Dark Forest level cap, plus reduced XP for an additional 3 levels. There will be an indicator on the HUD that specifies you are no longer getting XP. Yes, that thread is old and should be updated.

-ALS

cyberkamote
11-22-2010, 02:14 AM
If you're playing in Dark Forest, you can play up to level 18. 15 is the Dark Forest level cap, plus reduced XP for an additional 3 levels. There will be an indicator on the HUD that specifies you are no longer getting XP. Yes, that thread is old and should be updated.

-ALS

Thanks a lot!! cool, now I can actually wait till lvl 18 and still play for free! baaah ill buy plats soon just for the cute head gears! LOL

StompArtist
12-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Pet Shop??? Shouldn't Pets be humans?

Dena
12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Pet Shop??? Shouldn't Pets be humans?
AH, yes u r right!!! that would be something