PDA

View Full Version : smartphone without the data plan?

Jcyee
11-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Hello forumers,

So recently, I've been looking for a new phone, particularly some kind of smartphone, to replace my super old phone. However, I can't seem to find a smartphone that doesn't require some kind of data plan. So I was wondering if there was some way around this that isn't too complicated? All help/advice is appreciated. Thanks :)

Noodleleg
11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
You can buy it unlocked and use your old SIM card. However, it costs more upfront. It'll pay off soon though! Good luck! Which phone are you thinking of, by the way?

Jcyee
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I really have no idea yet lol. Just looking around as of right now but thanks for the info :)

Wrath
11-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Wifi and get ur buds to get same free texting and calling apps and really stick it to the fone companies lol

Jcyee
11-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Wifi and get ur buds to get same free texting and calling apps and really stick it to the fone companies lol

How am i supposed to get the phone without the data plan tho? Lol. Because from what ive seen from doing my research, the plan comes as a package with the phone itself...

Thelastblink
11-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Pre-paid? Some of my friends have it, they say you place as much money inside the phone and use it. For example, if a call is 50 cents you can place a dollar inside and call 2 times. I think this is only possible on brickphones like Nokia ones.

Zeus
11-23-2012, 03:55 AM
You can buy it unlocked and use your old SIM card. However, it costs more upfront. It'll pay off soon though! Good luck! Which phone are you thinking of, by the way?

I wouldn't recommend this as cellular providers will add a data plan to the phone bill if caught. Trust me, being caught is quite easy as cellular providers can identify what type of phone is hooked up to that SIM.

Gragorak
11-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Order phone from Europe? Here phones usually come without data plans.

Noodleleg
11-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't recommend this as cellular providers will add a data plan to the phone bill if caught. Trust me, being caught is quite easy as cellular providers can identify what type of phone is hooked up to that SIM.

My little brother (yes, the irritating 11 year old has a better phone than me) has an iPhone 4s... Lol we're using T-Mobile ;)!!!

Zeus
11-23-2012, 02:11 PM
My little brother (yes, the irritating 11 year old has a better phone than me) has an iPhone 4s... Lol we're using T-Mobile ;)!!!

I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying that it is easy to get caught, so be ready for a forcefully added data plan on your phone bill if you are caught.

Noodleleg
11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying that it is easy to get caught, so be ready for a forcefully added data plan on your phone bill if you are caught.

Lol I'm guessing you're on a data plan :)

Jcyee
11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Order phone from Europe? Here phones usually come without data plans.

how much would overseas shipping cost? haha