PDA

View Full Version : Does this forum support the Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display?

Zeus
11-27-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm only asking because I recently just started using my Macbook Pro with Retina Display again and I'm not sure wether the website supports it, as text is crystal clear, but icons like the "Facebook|Connect" are blurry.

If needed (although I don't see how), my specs for the laptop are:

• 2.7 GHz i7 Quadcore
• 16 GB RAM 1600 Mhz DDR3
• Duel Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB & NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
• 2880 x 1800 Display

Also, I have noticed that the flash based Pocket Legends is very laggy? I'm a bit perplexed as to why, because I'm pretty sure it's not due to weak specs on my laptop.

Roberto077
11-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Your laptop should be able to access this site. The flash version is laggy because the game isn't already installed to your computer. When you install the game there should only be server lag and no installation lag.

Zeus
11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Your laptop should be able to access this site. The flash version is laggy because the game isn't already installed to your computer. When you install the game there should only be server lag and no installation lag.

Hey Roberto077,

I'm not talking about wether the laptop is able to access the site or not, as it very well can. What I'm asking is does the website support my display? It's a 2880 x 1800 display and things are not appearing as crisp as they should be. I don't know wether it's just from the lack of sleep being a college student or what, lol! :)

In reference to the second part, how would I go about installing the game then? I've been out of PL for quite some time now. I haven't been keeping track of much at all, so any advice would be great.

Thanks! :)

Bilaxman
11-27-2012, 04:48 PM
In reference to the second part, how would I go about installing the game then? I've been out of PL for quite some time now. I haven't been keeping track of much at all, so any advice would be great.

Just go to http://account.spacetimestudios.com/pocketlegends/ on safari and wait a bit. Once you have waited for PL to load up on the screen it should be faster after that. If it still slow after that I would recommend using Chrome. It works pretty fast on my MacBook Pro.

Roberto077
11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey Roberto077,

I'm not talking about wether the laptop is able to access the site or not, as it very well can. What I'm asking is does the website support my display? It's a 2880 x 1800 display and things are not appearing as crisp as they should be. I don't know wether it's just from the lack of sleep being a college student or what, lol! :)

You can't install the game with flash on computer. If you can get google chrome and install PL there it won't lag or if you download an application called Bluestacks you can play PL but will terrible controls for computers.

For the buttons being blurry problem, I have no clue what the answer is. I have a 1366 x 768 display on my HP and the buttons appear perfectly clear.

Chrome link: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk&utm_medium=ha

Bluestacks link: http://bluestacks-app-player.soft32.com/free-download?gclid=CNjp4OSQ8LMCFQWe4AodD00A3w

Zeus
11-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Here are some examples.

I think it doesn't support it because I tried to take an entire screenshot of my desktop and the attachment wouldn't upload? However these screenshots would. It seems like the website cannot handle the full resolution of my laptop being posted?

It feels like my OS is upscaling the images in order to have the website at a readable resolution, so it scales it up? However, since the website itself doesn't support the upscaling, it makes things look blurry.

These are two examples as to how the native resolution looks like, which as you can see, is MUCH clearer.

Noodleleg
11-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Lol mine does fine. I have a MacBook Pro with retina right now (took your recommendation). It's working fine! Idk if it's 15" though... Should work though lol.

Zeus
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Lol mine does fine. I have a MacBook Pro with retina right now (took your recommendation). It's working fine! Idk if it's 15" though... Should work though lol.

Well, what are your specs like? And the display size? That should determine it. :)

Noodleleg
11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Can't remember... Not at my house atm lol. It's the cheapest one though :)

Roberto077
11-27-2012, 07:04 PM
On Safari, try going to settings -----> preferences -----> appearance -----> font smoothing

20763 the little gear thing by the search bar (top right)

then

then

Choose whatever works best

Zeus
11-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Can't remember... Not at my house atm lol. It's the cheapest one though :)

You don't even want to know how much mine costed... Somewhere up in the $3000s, lmao. :(

@Roberto077

I went to that, but the "appearence" tab is missing, therefore I cannot go to font smoothing. I believe it's because you're using a windows?

Otukura
11-27-2012, 07:10 PM
alright i didn't expect you to go full retard in just 2 months.

Zeus
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
alright i didn't expect you to go full retard in just 2 months.

Lol, Chris, it's actually been more than two months since I've been gone from the game, so do you mind helping me out?

Seminole
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm only asking because I recently just started using my Macbook Pro with Retina Display again and I'm not sure wether the website supports it, as text is crystal clear, but icons like the "Facebook|Connect" are blurry.

If needed (although I don't see how), my specs for the laptop are:

• 2.7 GHz i7 Quadcore
• 16 GB RAM 1600 Mhz DDR3
• Duel Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB & NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
• 2880 x 1800 Display

Also, I have noticed that the flash based Pocket Legends is very laggy? I'm a bit perplexed as to why, because I'm pretty sure it's not due to weak specs on my laptop.

College student? Shouldn't you be out partying and not behind the computer? Man I can't wait until I get to college. I'll be leaving my gaming days way behind me that's for sure.

aniybo
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Lol, Chris, it's actually been more than two months since I've been gone from the game, so do you mind helping me out?

Look in dah internet there might not be some websites that can hold the display. ( Nice Macbook though! )

McBain
11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure why things look blurry for ya, but I don't think there's such thing as a website not "supporting" a certain type of display. The site and the display on your computer aren't directly connected, if you know what I mean. If there's a problem, it's with your browser.

Zeus
11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
College student? Shouldn't you be out partying and not behind the computer? Man I can't wait until I get to college. I'll be leaving my gaming days way behind me that's for sure.

I actually haven't gamed much. Thanks for the troll though :)

The logical mind would understand that there are only so many hours one can party in a given day, per day. Trust me, you get sick of partying eventually.

Also, the frat guys game occasionally as well, they're just more discrete about it. How do I know? I'm a candidate in a frat and do party regularly while keeping grades up.

Seminole, college is all about balancing your schedule for everything. The forums is not gaming, it's just something I like to browse while writing an essay.

modredd
11-27-2012, 09:14 PM
on behalf of everyone who plays Pocket Legends I miss you and you are a staple of the game

Zeus
11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure why things look blurry for ya, but I don't think there's such thing as a website not "supporting" a certain type of display. The site and the display on your computer aren't directly connected, if you know what I mean. If there's a problem, it's with your browser.

McBain, there's never been a problem with a website not supporting the display because most displays are 1080p. My display is higher than 1080p, so that's why it's a problem.

I know that some websites have already made upgrades to support my display, but others haven't. What I was asking was has STS made the upgrades? Or rather, has vBulletin?

vampinoy
11-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Wrong section, should be in off topic, obviously just trying to get more people's attention to inform them about the laptop about having these specs (which isn't good considering its price, can outspec it with assembled parts from cheap market) and it's not weak yada yada, not to mention this question is directed to STS so a PM to support would have been more logical. But if that's what makes you happy :D Life outside must be really tuff for you, eh?

Silentgoddess
11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
cool laptop bro its a dang good one
i just prefer PC and anyone that wants to fight mac vs pc... is on

Dragonrider023
11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Yup, it should be working correctly because right now I'm using macbook pro 13"

Otukura
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
vamp youre my idol have a thumbs up

Zeus
11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Yup, it should be working correctly because right now I'm using macbook pro 13"

With Retina, right?

I brought this question up because I figured many people that use forums probably have similar laptops. I don't know if it's just my head (or eyes, rather), but I definitely feel like there is some blurriness with images.

The reason why I asked in General Discussion there is a greater chance that more people with the newer Retina Macbooks have had problems as well. I have actually had the laptop for quite a while (since it July, I think), just didn't use it much. Now that I am forced to because my desktop is having problems, I would like to sort out the problems I am having with this one.

It's not just this website that gives me problems, as other websites gives me blurriness issues as well.

@Vampinoy

I realize that you can build a computer with better specifications then what my laptop has. Was that what it's about? No, I gave the specifications that I thought would help (if I wanted to show off, there are more specifications than that I could put as well. I just gave the basic specifications).

If you'd like to understand the reasoning why I didn't build a hand-built computer myself, fine.

1. Hand-Built Computers are chunky and unattractive.
2. I needed portability.
3. I love high resolution screens.
4. I don't think your hand-built computer has warranty, does it?
5. I don't want a project, I'd rather pay for the labor and have a company hand me a top notch laptop (which may not have the best specifications, but good enough to get done what I want it to do).
6. I do not like windows. In fact, I prefer Unix systems.

It just so happens that the computer I ended up purchasing is ridiculously expensive, I hope that isn't a problem for you.

McBain
11-28-2012, 05:28 AM
McBain, there's never been a problem with a website not supporting the display because most displays are 1080p. My display is higher than 1080p, so that's why it's a problem.

I know that some websites have already made upgrades to support my display, but others haven't. What I was asking was has STS made the upgrades? Or rather, has vBulletin?

Still, though, I believe it would be an issue related to the browser, or possibly something else, although I'm not sure what. The resolution of your display doesn't matter. It's the browser's job to make the website fit correctly to your display at the correct resolution. That's my understanding, anyway. I do a little web design, but I'm by no means an expert.

edit: I just saw you're talking about images. The resolution of an image is inherent in the file itself, so the browser upscaling these lower resolution images is causing the blurriness you're talking about. There's not really an "upgrade" for that, other than replacing every embedded image on the site with a higher resolution version, which of course would have a much larger file size and affect the site's load time.