PDA

View Full Version : Need help for building my mage

ArticBlast
11-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi guys,

Today just used the free respecs from STS. Thanks, STS ! Now I'm a lvl 15 thus with 14 skill points and 84 stat points. I want my mage to perform good vs mobs and vs boss. I want my skill selection to be usable/flexible against mobs and boss. Do you guys have tips on (sub) skill and stat points investments?

I think I want to have at least 1 point in Lifegiver. And I want to keep using Gale Force, because it is fun. The speed increase is also fun. I will invest in all of GF except protective current, because it is not worth it right? Is GF sufficent against mobs?

Other skills i'm interested in:
*Time shift - the ability to root, DoT, and AOE is fun, but in order to use it, means either the mob must come to me or I come to them. Does the root and damage effect Boss?
*Frost Bolt - mainly interested because it can stun. Can it stun Boss and is its damage enough? Does it stun multiple mobs?
*Lightening - very nice damage, but i wonder if stuns sufficiently. Have good damage vs Boss, but vs Mobs, not much use.
*LifeGiver - put more points in LG? I'm not interested in being a support heal mage

limitbreak
11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Put +4 on int and +2 str( more HP no more squishy)

1st skill- Fireball(aoe/stun/bleed) Upgrde evrything except scorch

2nd skill- Time shift(aoe/root/dmg ot) upgrde evrything except Lower dodge

3rd skill- GF (aoe) blowemaway!- upgrde Outward and Weight

4th skill- Lightning (Boss)nuker - Upgrde Empowered and Positive

Repeat process..

And please if you gonna rush to mobs like in kraag tombs especially, keep running around, dnt stay in 1 spot while using all the skills.

Preferred Pets

FLAPPYJACK
MALLISON
BLIGHT
COLTON( u wish ;P)

Ambient
11-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Time Shift does damage over time on bosses, but most bosses can't be rooted. Some can, though. And with Gale Force as your primary skill, I don't think you'll find it syncing well with Time Shift, but that's just my opinion. Gale Spreads your enemies out away from you, while you need them gathered to make Time Shift effective.

Frost Bolt, again, can stun very few bosses. Most are resistant. If opponents are real close, I believe it can slow down opponents adjacent to your main target, but I don't think it will freeze them. Not sure. This skill was also buffed in a patch yesterday, so I'm not sure if it's become a slight AoE with that upgrade or not. Damage is real good, imo. I'd have to log in and calculate it, but the damage over time on this spell may or may not make it as strong as the +15% lightning damage.

Lightning definitely has the potential to be the largest damage dealer, but I don't want to give my personal opinion out on it, since I haven't used it so much.

No support mage? Don't put many points into lifegiver. That mana heal is pretty damn handy, though.

ShadowGunX
11-27-2012, 10:55 PM
fireball having knockdwn upgrade with a gale force combo is an instant knockout to group of mobs. max lighting nd also put more points det recover lost mana in lifegiver

ArticBlast
11-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. Appreciate it alot.

Very fun with GF speed upgrade. Drop the bomb and run away!

A fun tactic I like to do is to Time shift, close in and then Gale Force. But would this knock the mobs out of the circle, thus ending root of TS?
Although the DoT is attractive, the problem with Time Shift is high cooldown.

It's a pity that none of them can stun/root Boss effectively. Using all frost bolt, GF, fireball and time shift would be redundant. so i think the choices would be between:

* For mobs, Time Shift vs Fireball: both can stun/root = same thing. Which would you choose? Time shift DoT attractive. Drop and run away, mob die win!

*For Boss: Frost Bolt vs Lightning: both can stun I think. Frost bolt a bit longere though. Normal damage, with current update, both are same. Critical damage Lightning more. So Frost bolt (longer stun) vs Lightning (maybe higher dmg - critical). So against bosses what would you choose?

Skeazeti
11-28-2012, 10:55 PM
well i have found that 5/5 Livegiver (for mana and hp regen) 4/5 Fireball (no scorch AOE/Stun great) 4/5 Lightning (no Electrical discharge for boss killing uberness) and the 2/5 gale force for more AOE fun seems to be the best hybrid class i could think of. it works very well for soloing or group play.

ArticBlast
11-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah Skeazeti, i am coming to think about using LifeG, Fireb, Light & GF too.
But can you explain your choices of subskills?

*Fireball - you mean all subskills except scorch? Why not? -25% to hit is always helpfull right?
*Lightning - same with electrical discharge. By boss killing uberness, you mean it is too OP?
*LifeGiver - Problem with sorcerer is that it is so many intensive. If you use manapots - its just so expensive. Well LG is the only way for a mage to gain mana. But is it worth it? I hear from others that the mana gain and regen is not really worth it.

One final point. You said soloing. My impression is that for example the rogue is better at soloing (vs boss and mobs). Sorcerer is good vs mobs, but vs boss it dies easily.

Skeazeti
11-29-2012, 12:16 PM
lol. ok let me explain. Fireball the reason i say dont use skorch is because with GF and Fireball your opponents spend most of the time on the ground. use fireball then spam your weapon attack until they stand up and GF. just rinse repeat till dead.

Lightning the reason i dont use Electrical Discharge is because it says enemies Slain by lightning, when in a group of mobs im spamming my AOE/GF/Sorc weapon AOEs and not really using lightning. and even if i do i dont kill mobs often enough to let the 15-25% chance really be effective. i use lightning against bosses. its just uber sauce powerful and with a quick CD it destroys.

lifegiver i feel the mana/hp regen are well worth it, even if in the middle of a fight you use it, you still get 1-3 skills before the mana goes away, and 1-3 AOEs can finish a fight.

i solo with my sorc all the time, Lifegivier and the utter destruction AOEs and lightning cause help a ton. when soloing with a sorc you can never ever stop moving. thats the only way to do it :D