PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, I'm new to game so I need help.

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Hey guys, you all seem really helpful from the threads I've read so I hope I can get my questions answered.

I'm on an iPhone 4 playing PL.

I'm new to the game so these are my basic questions:

1. I'm currently living in Australia (Sydney) and my ping is roughly 300-500, does this affect game play a lot? I do notice some delays on damage popping up etc on my game.

2. I have cash to spare so I'm thinking of getting some plats. I'm currently level 8 so I'm thinking of getting that bundle deal for archer, the level 5, 10 plat one. What can you guys say about buying stuff via plat? Worth it? Or is it just better to get in-game items.

3. I've noticed monsters having different colored dots beside their names. I can't tell which is higher/lower than me or such. Help here?

4. I don't really understand yet how the game works. I usually choose enter world, then I go look for my most recent quest (The one that hints give), but aside from that I don't understand how "games" works or such.

I've played MMORPGs before, and a lot, so I'm quite experienced in a general sense, though I'm new to this platform and PL. I hope you guys could help me! And I'll post more questions here if ever I come across them. Cheers!

icantgetkills
09-15-2010, 03:20 AM
1) I'm from aus I get same ping laggy sometimes but still runs smoothly

2) in game items are quite bad I say save plat for more campaigns

3)monsters don't have levels .

4)When you get more campaigns your slowly figure it out add me in game ::

It takes a while to get used to but when you do its alot of fun and more enjoyable

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 03:55 AM
I see, awesome! Thanks much!

jonboy
09-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Hi I'm from Aus as well, if your talking about the colours next to mobs they represent they level compared to you and also the amount of xp received. It's I think, red, yellow, blue, white, grey in decending order I believe you get a bit of xp for blue, but none below.

Games are essential 5 man dungeons, that can be accessed from join games, or from other means.

Spend money on a campaign bundle if you wish, I prob would nt get a level pack, anyway you can lvl to 17 without having to get more maps.

Welcome to PL and the community.

Edited Ty icant

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Yeah thats what I meant, the level difference between me and mobs.

So how is leveling here usually done? Via games or grinding? I just accept any quest I find but I'm not sure if they're ideal to do yet/too low to do.

icantgetkills
09-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Hay bogan I didn't even know about that level thing lol and it's level 17 now ;) and spending plat on a level pack? Hmm never thought it was worth it

Join forest haven dungeons for now until level 13 then dark forest

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Alright I'll do that! Any other tips you guys can give? I find potions really expensive especially with how much you have to use if your solo.

jonboy
09-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Oops meant don't get a level pack. Stupid iPhone.

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 05:23 AM
Do plat items like weapons, armors etc really give way more though vs the in game ones? Like do you get a significant advantage?

Gavry
09-15-2010, 05:31 AM
At low level, 10-25 you generally get slightly better stats from the plat items than the ones you get from drops. After that its exclusively better getting items from in game than purchasing with plat. I generally suggest getting yourself a couple of items so you have at least 1 h/s regeneration and 1 m/s regeneration. It makes a big difference to the number of potions you need to chug down at low levels.

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 05:32 AM
Alright Gavry. So basically the plats should be used to purchase content more than anything? I've just been used to a lot of F2Ps that have huge advantages using the cash shop or such.

jonboy
09-15-2010, 05:37 AM
And hats, :)

Also buy pots from the npc in forest towne rather then from the store if you can, cheaper

vulgarstrike
09-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Hey guys, you all seem really helpful from the threads I've read so I hope I can get my questions answered.

I'm on an iPhone 4 playing PL.

I'm new to the game so these are my basic questions:

1. I'm currently living in Australia (Sydney) and my ping is roughly 300-500, does this affect game play a lot? I do notice some delays on damage popping up etc on my game.

2. I have cash to spare so I'm thinking of getting some plats. I'm currently level 8 so I'm thinking of getting that bundle deal for archer, the level 5, 10 plat one. What can you guys say about buying stuff via plat? Worth it? Or is it just better to get in-game items.

3. I've noticed monsters having different colored dots beside their names. I can't tell which is higher/lower than me or such. Help here?

4. I don't really understand yet how the game works. I usually choose enter world, then I go look for my most recent quest (The one that hints give), but aside from that I don't understand how "games" works or such.

I've played MMORPGs before, and a lot, so I'm quite experienced in a general sense, though I'm new to this platform and PL. I hope you guys could help me! And I'll post more questions here if ever I come across them. Cheers!

Hi there, welcome to the wonderful game in progress :P

1. Your ping may hurt you slightly but it really does not make a difference enough to ruin your gameplay, unless of course you are a hardcore PvP player. You are roughly half a second off from server response so think about that.

2. Typically, the platinum store items are pretty terrible, but before level 19 they are extremely useful and I WOULD recommend them. Although you should get the Level 10, or 15 one, as Level 5 pack is pretty weak for a level 8 player. I have always purchased plat items individually. Hats are pretty cool, but they are useless in combat, so unless you're going for vanity items skip that expensive guzzler. After level 19, you should focus on finding better in game items rather than plat.

3. Contrary to jonboy, after making a new character I have found that the order is descending: Red, Yellow, White, Blue, Grey
You can earn experience up to blue, and more at red. I believe it is something like this: Mob Level = Player Level means 1 xp point per kill; Mob Level > Player Level can get you up to 2 xp points, if the mob is 3 levels higher than you are. If it is two levels higher, a little less. If the mobs are weaker than you, you earn less xp, i belive to 0.75, or 0.50 or something around that range. My guess is 2 xp for red, 1.5 for yellow, 1 for white, and 0.75 for blue.

4. For a low level player, the fun things are quests, and playing them. There is PvP, but not many for the little ones. You could also farm items, or just chill in the many townes. I recommend purchasing the largest campaign bundle right away IF you like the game. Content IMO is the only true investment from this game, but I am guilty for purchasing just about everything else ^^

Enjoy.

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Awesome help guys, I'll try to do those things you recommended. :) I'm enjoying the game so far! Just quick questions in the battle system:

1. I've noticed if I do get hit by a mob when kiting etc, I "rubberband" back to where I got hit? Instead of continuing to move away.

2. Sometimes when I press the attack button, to target the nearest mob and auto attack it, it still targets a further away mob. Idk if there's something wrong I'm doing.

Thanks!

vulgarstrike
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Awesome help guys, I'll try to do those things you recommended. :) I'm enjoying the game so far! Just quick questions in the battle system:

1. I've noticed if I do get hit by a mob when kiting etc, I "rubberband" back to where I got hit? Instead of continuing to move away.

2. Sometimes when I press the attack button, to target the nearest mob and auto attack it, it still targets a further away mob. Idk if there's something wrong I'm doing.

Thanks!

Both problems are usually due to lag. With some weapons, particularly staffs and two handers, you should be momentarily paralyzed on spot for a brief half second or less. Of course with lag you may see yourself teleporting back to where you got hit.

Ellyidol
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Alright!

I just got my hands on some items that have 1 M/S and I found it really useful.

What do you guys recommend are the top stats in armors/weapons?

I really like 1 m/s cause I get to spam a lot + my meditation skill. I'm not sure with 1 h/s, and other stats.

Ellyidol
09-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Oh and guys, I just got the 4 latest content maps, I was wondering what the difference is between each map? Cause I join games from the first map and the 5th map and they still have the same levels (if i join the ones in my level range). So does each map differ in loot? I don't really see the difference.

jonboy
09-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the correction vulgar it's been awhile since I seen a colour difference, only got white and blue around the wrong way.

Also some mobs do a stun that stops you and looks like a lag bounce but smaller. To target a mob double tap them to cancel a target double tap yourself. Tapping the top line of the chat cycles between 1 line, 3 lines, or all lines.

Ellyidol
09-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks jonboy! I really find that useful tapping and such.

BTW, whats the fastest way to level? I just join games/try to do my quests. Is there some sort of power leveling by joining really high level games etc?

EDIT: Is there a list of weapons or such out there where I know what weapon I should aim for next? Or are there certain names for weapons like Bow of Dex that adds dex especially.

jonboy
09-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Well power leveling frowned upon by some players, myself included that would recommend following the quests and play some dungeons, however for back story and ideas if your keen on it search the forums for "Mynas Generation" :)

icantgetkills
09-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Yes I only powerleveld after my first 45 because I was lazy but getting a legit 45 first is always good

Hay add me in game I'll he'll you out

Icantgetkillz... I could give you some of my lower level items if you want some haw h/s and m/s depending on watt class U play as also item rarity
Grey, white, orange, green, purple, pink

Snakespeare
09-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, everybody who understands the game mechanics probably does some sort of power levelling. The good ones do it within the campaign meant for their level.

The nuissance power levellers are the ones who only play one map over and over, learn absolutely nothing about teamwork or strategy, then act like bigshots after they reach level cap in 3 days, and finally quit after a week out of boredom. They tend to do this in the campaigns meant for the highest level players.

I doubt, from the type of questions you've asked, that you will follow that path.

But when you are playing in the campaign meant for your level, the fastest way to gain experience is to pay attention to those color bubbles, and team up with others who want to grind through the mobs. If you feel that you have the hang of it and won't die for a full five minutes, then, when the bubbles are red or yellow, take a hardcore playas potion. You'll notice that some maps have more mobs and others have more bosses. Well, you know, killing a boss gets you better treasure, but it only gives you xp for a single adversary. After you've been through a campaign a few times, and you're still only halfway to the next campaign, grind the maps with more mobs.

That's the cool way to power level, and you make a lot of friends along the way.

Also, if you go through the campaigns in succession, there is a story. And you learn some essential teamwork skills.

I did something weird, and I only know a few others who did the same as me. I simultaneously (sort of) leveled one of each "pure" character type and used the Stash to swap treasure. This got each of the three characters pretty good stuff, but it took me a few months to get them all up to the most recent campaign. Two are now level-capped, and one needs just a few more levels. I think that it made this game have more meaning for me, in some strange way. I play it for fun, not to be rich with fake money or to be the guy with the most pink items. So I also have four low level characters for whom I have disabled XP gain and I use them in the low level campaigns. My style of play is definitely not for everyone, but I'm telling it just in case it is for you.

Snakes

Ellyidol
09-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I understand how PL-ing makes you understand the game less. Happened in past games I've played before too.

Okay, just to clear up some things, each campaign means Forest Haven, Dark Forest, those maps right? And within those campaigns there are several maps?

I was 13 and my quest was from the B. Castle, and I realized that the mobs were red and most people were lvl 30 in the map, I wasn't sure if I was too low for the quest/campaign?

Do I always need a quest to go along with the mobs I fight to know its for my level?

Raxie
09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
if you are level 13, you need to go to dark forest to level. well, you don't have to but it will be much easier.
my intbear is level 15, so if you want to level with me, it will be awesome.

Ellyidol
09-17-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm 18 now btw. And I got some stuff that I think are good but idk how much its worth. Like avenger's battle sword and stuff.

jonboy
09-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Hey what char are you bird bear chantress, if you going to be 19 soon let's see if anyone has some nice 19 gear for you.

Ellyidol
09-17-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm an archer, so I think thats bird. I'm 19 now, using an auto-xbow of something. lol i find game pretty fun! still finding out some stuff though. Whats your ingame name? I'll add you there. Mines EllieIdol

EDIT:

I think I just understood the campaigns more. Each campaign only has one set of maps/kind of mobs in them. Game's "level" is only the highest level of a player in it right? So joining whatever game in the same campaign should give the same exp, but could differ in how fast you do them depending on your players etc. Hope I got it right. So if you want more exp, you go to a higher campaign?

jonboy
09-17-2010, 03:09 AM
By George he's got it. Hey add me ign: bogan

Something to note all the bosses in the campaigns except AO2 have a shared loot table, AO2 bosses have there own loot tables.

Also when you get to pinks drops, it's not wow where the roll for loot is group based, when you kill a mob all the players have individual rolls on the loot table.

Ellyidol
09-17-2010, 03:22 AM
I hope that wasn't sarcasm! lol alright i will!

Alright good to know! I'll learn more when I reach that level anyway. Talk to you in game.

jonboy
09-17-2010, 03:25 AM
No not sarcasm, you summed it up well was impressed is all, the game has depth that isn't always apparent to new players.

And the loot tables are per campaign, unless royce corrects me.

Oh btw Royce is the bible re PL meta gaming info, he is a demigod of knowledge.

Ellyidol
09-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Thanks! Royce is? I added you in-game, IDK if it goes through though. Yeah right now I think im starting to get into this extended tomes of knowledge quest, so I'll be on it for awhile.

jonboy
09-17-2010, 04:34 AM
Royce is a dude on the forums, surprised he hasn't popped in.