PDA

View Full Version : Ironman 3 speed painting exercise

RedRyder
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Speed painting is a method of practice amongst digital artist. It helps to train you to complete rough designs in a short time to present to a client, especially when you have a deadline. Watching Feng Zhu's, a concept artist based in Singapore that also runs his own concept art school and has worked for various video games, transformers movie and star wars episode 3 amongst many other things, design cinema videos (YouTube channel FZDschool) has taught me a lot about the industry and loads of painting techs.

Clients can tell you to produce some compositions during a morning meeting and expect some concepts by the afternoon. This is where producing concepts in short periods is key. You aren't going to spend 2 hours rendering a rock with a rough landscape and present it to a client when they expect to check your progress. "hey everything else is pretty rough but hey, look at this rock! You'll be expected to come up with various designs. If a client is happy with one of them, then you go in and render it out.

With speed paint, you give yourself a certain amount of time to complete a composition, and have it read as the intended subject (the audience will be able to tell what the design's supposed to be) within the allotted time. I gave myself a 2hr time limit for this one, and as you can tell, I ran out of time lol. I used one brush the entirle time, save for the background, and used a single layer. No fancy stuff, just some good old slapping paint onto the canvas.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/SurfingAlien528/0362e1c30171ccc52742e8b68728f37e.jpg

I started with painting on some basic colors to lay out the proportions. As I went along, I block in the colors to shape out parts of the armor (helmet, shoulders, hands, etc.) and fix the proportions some more. These are the progress frames in 30 minute increments, with the final frame done within an hour.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/SurfingAlien528/2e40c66eadeaae3e7b3fdc9256c53dca.jpg

I didn't manage my time well enough to finish his other leg. The piece itself is really rough, as is intended. Sometime in the future I'll get back into this and spend another 2 hrs for detail. I'll call it, speed detailing :p lol just kidding. I'll finish it up with some hours of good artistic labor.

Cascade
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Nice ground and armor detail and light reflection. Very cool.

iRusher
12-06-2012, 09:56 PM
That's awesome!

Noodleleg
12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Sweet! Now finish it and see how much better it can be ;)! (But it's already pretty darn awesome so idk how much better it could be)

Delphina
12-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Wow! That is all I have to say!

RedRyder
12-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Sweet! Now finish it and see how much better it can be ;)! (But it's already pretty darn awesome so idk how much better it could be)

I'm leaving that for Christmas day when I never have anything to do :p by that time Procreate version 1.7 (a HUGEEEE update) will be out by then, increasing the quality of my work tenfold :D

Wow! That is all I have to say!

thank you!

Noodleleg
12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm leaving that for Christmas day when I never have anything to do :p by that time Procreate version 1.7 (a HUGEEEE update) will be out by then, increasing the quality of my work tenfold :D

thank you!

Maybeh that update may motivate me to start drawing again XD!

Mitchturbo
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I love IRON MAN! <3<3<3