PDA

View Full Version : savage dragon master blade underpowered

Fusionstrike
12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I've done some comparing of the options for the BSM str set and have concluded that there's really no case for ever using the dragon master blade (the crafted 2H) over the scythe and shield. Usually the sets are designed to give players an offensive and defensive option, allowing them to make trade-offs for the situation. However, the blade is so underpowered that there's basically no reason ever to choose it over the 1H set option.

Here's a picture of how the sets compare. On the left I am wearing the scythe+shield set and showing the change if I equip the blade. On the right is the same thing except I'm wearing the fossilized dragon egg as my shield.

Compared to the shield set, the blade does up the hit some and of course the damage as well, but the downside is harsh. Losing all that armor, dodge and H/s is just crippling, not to mention the DPS drop. Compared against the egg set, which is already a more "offensive" option, the trade-off is even starker. It's solely a damage boost with losses everywhere else (though not quite as much, it's still a significant hit).

Now the usual argument is that the reason to use a 2H set is not just the regular damage but the boost to skill damage output as well. So let's look at the comparison for damage output for all three options.

The gain for the blade set is only 9 damage for super mega slash, the highest damage potential skill for a bear. The boosts for the other skills are similarly anemic. I don't know how much this set helps pally or warbird, but for bear it's definitely a meaningless improvement to use the 2H set for skill damage output.

So my conclusion is there's absolutely no case to be made ever to use the crafted 2H str set. The 1H set is a clear winner in performance where it counts, and those with the egg have even that much less incentive to use the 2H set given the nice offensive boost from just using the egg shield. Hopefully STS will consider boosting the dragon master blade in some way to make it relevant.

AbsolutePally
12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Really good post! Have you tested it in action? Pvp vs scythe set or other 2h weapons on different classes?

Fusionstrike
12-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Not a PVPer so can't comment there. Using in BSM runs it just feels weak, although I'm never really a damage leader in a good party so it doesn't seem to affect the overall team performance one way or another. Although that statement itself kind of makes the case, because if you go to an offensive set but team doesn't do any better overall, then you might as well just use the defensive set and save on healing potions.

Energizeric
12-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. With the older crafted sets (lvl65 and below) the 2H set also usually gave higher DSP in addition to higher dmg. So it was quite useful in situations where you didn't need the higher armor or dodge, such as when farming lower level dungeons. But now with the 2h set having lower dps, it's not even useful in those situations. So not really sure why anyone would want the 2h set. And I'm pretty sure that's why I've not seen a single playing using the blade. I see a bunch of the uncrafted ones in the store, but I don't know why anyone would bother to craft considering the cost of the red diamonds.

FluffNStuff
12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I can't even give away a recipe for a crafted blade ... speaking of which, anyone want to buy a blade recipe ... j/k.

In seriousness, it looks like it is still suffering from the two hand skill issue, just not as bad (at least it does not go down). 85+ damage and only 10 points to skills. It is the reason I gave up on two handed strength weapons a long time ago (as in Gurgox hammer time).

Multibird
12-12-2012, 06:02 PM
good thing I didn't kept mine :)

tHelonestud
12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Pretty sure vengeful slash has more dmg
Just a minor point
But on topic, the problem is obviously with the scythe it has way too much dmg
The crusher from last cap was already slightly too powerful, sts wanted to make this gear much better so they had to out do crusher

Gaunab
12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
In all honesty, why would anyone use a two-hander anyways?!? The skythe has (maybe way too) awesomely high dmg and allows you to tank which is almost always the purpose of using str gear. If you want to maximise the dmg output in trade for survivability just use a bow or dex geat. Most chars with str are half dex anyways.

The last time Twohanders were effective in PvP was propably ao2 (when the djinn blades were glitched for a short time).

Deathofan
12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
In all honesty, why would anyone use a two-hander anyways?!? The skythe has (maybe way too) awesomely high dmg and allows you to tank which is almost always the purpose of using str gear. If you want to maximise the dmg output in trade for survivability just use a bow or dex geat. Most chars with str are half dex anyways.

The last time Twohanders were effective in PvP was propably ao2 (when the djinn blades were glitched for a short time). Marlin sword worked very well last cap.

@fusionstrike I don't think they should make it stronger than the op scythe, it's already slightly better than the scythe atm changing it's dmg would ruin endgame pvp even more. Even if they look at this thread and decide to make changes I would rather see them improve the elite 2h weapons (assuming they will still be 2h weapons like last cap) than changing the current weapons. Something I don't get is techno said 2h sets would stand on offensive bonus and 9dmg is so small of a difference, but like I said I would like the changes to go to elite weps..