PDA

View Full Version : The Making of Arcane Legends - Why it is the Culmination of the Legends Franchise

Samhayne
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
21523 (http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Arcane+Legends/feature.asp?c=47232)

Lee Bradley from Pocket Gamer sits down with Spacetime Studios CEO Gary Gattis to discuss the business side of making Arcane Legends, correct IAP implementation and the challenges of mobile MMO development. Here's a clip:

What were the key areas of innovation with Arcane Legends?

One main innovation is our Companion system.

We wanted to add a gameplay mechanic that the player could develop an emotional attachment to. Pets matter in combat, and are not just be a vanity object that follows you around. They grow with you, and you care for them.

We also added 3D cutscenes. The game is very heavily story-driven, and we needed a way to convey significant plot points to the players.

Additionally, Arcane Legends is a best-of all our previous titles. We took the most beloved mechanics from each game and rolled them in to a single experience.

Examples are the pick-up-and-play matchmaking of Pocket Legends, the environmental puzzle-solving and complex boss fights of Star Legends, and the chargeable attacks and skills from Dark Legends.

Click here to read the full article on Pocket Gamer. (http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Arcane+Legends/feature.asp?c=47232)

Vystirch
12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
At the very end it says:

We're also hard at work on our next game. I can't say what it is just yet, but I don’t think you’ll be waiting for long.

I hope this doesn't happen soon.....

Astrocat
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
At the very end it says:

I hope this doesn't happen soon.....

How many ''Legends'' games will be available in 10 years.. lol :p.
They should just stay on these 4 (which is already enough IMO) and keep updating em..
Like Death said, we now know why SL is abandoned and why other ones gets updated slower and slower..
If they keep releasing games, I don't see the point of playing hard and working hard on one of your accounts, to then leave it for a new one soon after.. IMO.
The ''you won't have to wait for long'' makes me want to stop AL already, and wait for the next one. They JUST released AL that they're already on another one, and ''won't have to wait for long''..

All IMO, so no offend.

Cahaun
12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't think STS is just making Legend game after the other. They are slowly building every new features onto one big project. Guilds, non-auto attack, achievements, companion system, story driven aspects to make it feel like a full game, and others. They take what excells and upgrade their next project with previous knowledge on what works and what doesn't work.

Vystirch
12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't think STS is just making Legend game after the other. They are slowly building every new features onto one big project. Guilds, non-auto attack, achievements, companion system, story driven aspects to make it feel like a full game, and others. They take what excells and upgrade their next project with previous knowledge on what works and what doesn't work.

True I just hope it comes to a point where they stop at on very good game or multiple (fantasy, space, other) and stick with that one/ones.

McBain
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM

I don't see any reason why they can't still make those developments with the existing games. There's a reason why their first game is still their #1 game. I'm beginning to worry that they're starting to spread themselves a little thin creatively. All you have to do is look at SL, which is all but forgotten. Thankfully, I never fully got into SL, but if I did I'd be a little pissed right now.

Tilax
12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Don't think AL will be dead when new games release. PL will be the flagship project and AL being the Best seller, and for the other 2 IMO get my updated! xD

Yuni99
12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
the more games they build, yeah it could be updated to a very fantastic level. But It seems in my opinion, STS is a small company group. And developing onto a few more games would hold back to the first couple of games that were released. It's going to be a stressful manner. But I just hope that doesn't happen.

Duflie
12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I swear if they release another legends title im going back to PL. It's the only "legend" that has maintained good playerbase plus new clases are coming so I won't be bored

Urqui
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Sl 2.0

Arcanee
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Please do not criticise sts they are doing GREAT when they say they dont think we may be waiting long I think they mean in the summer which is a while so chill (: Theres nothing wrong with playing more then one game Example-If I do not like Pl and Dl I have two other great games I can choose from Sl and Al! So just have fun :)

Ewok
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Amazing story! Bravo! 4 successful games and a rising new one! Just...wow :D

Vystirch
12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Amazing story! Bravo! 3 successful games and a rising new one! Just...wow :D

Lol 4 games, sl,dl,pl,al

Ewok
12-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Lol 4 games, sl,dl,pl,al

Yes my mistake, sorry. Thanks Vys!

Jcyee
12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
wonder how many legends titles there will be O.o

Vystirch
12-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes my mistake, sorry. Thanks Vys!

np man

Astrocat
12-13-2012, 05:17 AM
wonder how many legends titles there will be O.o

According to Spacetime Studios, like they said, a new one will be released every 6+ months.
In 5 years, 10 new games. In 10 years, 20 new games. WAIT WHAT?!?!?!

shadow90
12-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Too many games that will be abandoned...
I can't take that...

Kenzor
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Good from a business point of view to make another title, but as a player i think you kill the experience every time a new title is released. You are gonna end up with 4 titles that have a small player base, because every time you make a new game everyone moves to play it instead of the others. Star Legends was my game, i loved it, but i was pretty much forced to quit since you decided to slow down the updates and i never see my friends online anymore.

Sorcnikke
12-13-2012, 10:21 AM
No more legends please... just keep updating pl,sl,dl and al..

Arcanee
12-13-2012, 04:36 PM
No more legends please... just keep updating pl,sl,dl and al..
That was rude dont you think?

Arcanee
12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Dang am I the only one that cant wait for more games? I do not like pocketlegends or darklegends so why cant I have more choices ? Id rather play arcanee legends and another leagends rather then playing one game!

Astrocat
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
That was rude dont you think?

It's not rude, it's an opinion. I agree with him, what they did is amazing, but making more would be too much, and the older legends games will get even more abandoned.

Babbare
12-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm disappointed. I was expecting more. Like video or pictures showing " The Making of Arcane Legends." Not a little paragraph worth of chatting.

Astrocat
12-13-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm disappointed. I was expecting more. Like video or pictures showing " The Making of Arcane Legends." Not a little paragraph worth of chatting.

*Ahem* http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Arcane+Legends/feature.asp?c=47232 (it was in the main post)

Babbare
12-13-2012, 08:02 PM
*Ahem* http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Arcane+Legends/feature.asp?c=47232 (it was in the main post)

Nice! I should have searched a little bit further, but just didn't bother. Thing that stands out to me most is if updates are coming or not

shayen
12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
4-5 games would be enough. Just keep on updating/upgrading other features and events of the game would be awesome... Its ok if the PL,,SL,DL,AL will not be available for sometime if you need major changes . but adding more games makes players bored and starting all over again kinda boring.

nicoB
12-14-2012, 06:55 AM
As long as they keep adding new content to the othwr games its fine with me

Astrocat
12-14-2012, 08:06 AM
It's pretty interesting when you read the whole article. Loving it! :)

Kenzor
12-15-2012, 02:38 PM
As long as they keep adding new content to the othwr games its fine with me

Thats the point, they already ditched SL for AL

Chickenrunnn
12-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I bet next game will be called "GnagnamStyle Legend" :D

Astrocat
12-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I bet next game will be called "GnagnamStyle Legend" :D

If that's true... ZOMG.. I'll hate games forever.

wvhills
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
I think AL is great. I hope it ends up being like PL and keeps getting updates instead of like SL and DL which just get the scraps.

Vystirch
12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I think AL is great. I hope it ends up being like PL and keeps getting updates instead of like SL and DL which just get the scraps.

Noooooooooooo not another pl! Go lay pl if that is what u want! For me AL is a complete deferent game, let it be itself. It has different mechanics and should not be treated like a pl. one thing I do agree wi u is the AL would be awesome if it got as many updates as pl.

wvhills
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Noooooooooooo not another pl! Go lay pl if that is what u want! For me AL is a complete deferent game, let it be itself. It has different mechanics and should not be treated like a pl. one thing I do agree wi u is the AL would be awesome if it got as many updates as pl.

Take time to read my post. I said i hope it gets updated often like PL and never be updated like SL and DL. I don't want it to turn INTO pl. Let's keep all the plat crazed elixir users in PL. I

Vystirch
12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Take time to read my post. I said i hope it gets updated often like PL and never be updated like SL and DL. I don't want it to turn INTO pl. Let's keep all the plat crazed elixir users in PL. I

I did read again it can be taken both ways. Thanks for clarifying your view anyway.

Cahaun
12-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Agreed