PDA

View Full Version : T4T (Tips for Tanks)

Delirium
12-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm making this thread after dying multiples times in one Jarl run due to the tank not knowing what he was doing. Below, you will find tips that every tank should know pertaining to Jarl runs.

1. During Jarl runs, instead of just running by the trash on the way to Jarl, please swing at them as you run by to keep the rest of your team safer. This way, the mobs you run by will keep chasing you until they reset instead of switching to the squishy mages and rogues running behind you.

2. Don't run all the way to Jarl and then stop just after the bridge to let everyone catch up. Run straight to the trash mob and begin attacking.

3. Even though you may already have aggro, you should still keep your taunt skills on cool down.. all it takes is one shot to take out a full dex rogue or full int sorc.

4. KILL THE TRASH MOBS FIRST. Don't just ignore an archer and keep attacking jarl.. one fireball aoe from a mage will pull that archer and cause problems.

5. Please don't run right up to Jarl when pulling him.. you only need to get near him to pull. That way you don't pull the extra trash mobs behind him making the run longer and possibly causing the squishies to die.

6. Please make sure that Jarl is facing only you and not the rest of the party.. if he gets his AoE special attack off and he's facing your party, the rogues and mages will die.

7. If there are multiple tanks, they should all stand on top of eachother so the squishies don't have to continually run behind jarl when he switches targets.. that way the run goes faster and nobody dies from not paying attention.

I'm going to add a lot more when I get home.. feel free to add anything you can think of.

ShadowGunX
12-15-2012, 12:01 AM
u should say "tip for rookie warriors" in title

Wizard_Mike
12-15-2012, 01:05 AM
1. During Jarl runs, instead of just running by the trash on the way to Jarl, please swing at them as you run by to keep the rest of your team safer. This way, the mobs you run by will keep chasing you until they reset instead of switching to the squishy mages and rogues running behind you.

If the tank runs in first and no one attacks any of the "on the way" trash, then shouldn't the trash completely ignore everyone but the tank?

I agree with you, the tank should make sure none of that trash is hurting the team on the way to jarl. But it seems to me that the only reason any of that trash would pay attention to anyone else but the tank would be because they ran ahead of the tank (so the mob sees them first, rather than the tank) or they are attacking along the way.

Perhaps a smooth ride to jarl is everyone's responsibility, not just the tank's?

Delirium
12-15-2012, 02:32 AM
If the tank runs in first and no one attacks any of the "on the way" trash, then shouldn't the trash completely ignore everyone but the tank?

I agree with you, the tank should make sure none of that trash is hurting the team on the way to jarl. But it seems to me that the only reason any of that trash would pay attention to anyone else but the tank would be because they ran ahead of the tank (so the mob sees them first, rather than the tank) or they are attacking along the way.

Perhaps a smooth ride to jarl is everyone's responsibility, not just the tank's?

I thought this was the case too, but the last 5 runs I did, I always got attacked by the 2 archers in the bushes and one of the lancers even when the tank got their attention first.. maybe there is another factor that affects who gets aggro besides just who they see first? On my tank, I always make sure I give them a good charged AoE whack so I hit both of them. Nobody but me ever takes damage on my runs and I don't have to go out of my way to accomplish that.

I just feel that the tank has a little more responsibility in protecting the rest of the party--I mean after all, he IS the tank. He is supposed to take the damage.
It was just getting annoying doing run after run and having to use a bunch of pots before even getting to Jarl and not being able to do anything about it. It's not really hard for a tank to just swing as he's running to Jarl.. that's all it takes.

Yeah, if some yahoo mage shoots a bunch of fireballs on the way to Jarl, he's gonna get hit.. THAT is an example of something the tank can't control. The rest, however, is the tank's responsibility. That's why we all chose a warrior right? If you chose a warrior to do damage then I'm sorry.. but you chose the wrong class.

The point of this thread is to share my experience with others.. every one of my Jarl runs (when I'm on my tank) go smoothly and every bit of damage goes to me. If I can share how I do that with others, then maybe people will learn and when I feel like playing my mage or rogue, I won't get all ragey because the tank doesn't know what to do.

Vystirch
12-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Nice sig Adam :p

Crystalite
12-15-2012, 07:41 AM
I find e two archers tend to attack the player right behind the first guy. I think this is because it takes time for the 2archers to pop from hiding, and by that time, the first guy is out of range and so they shoot the 2nd player. Either this, or the two archers are spawned upon first player's initial contact with the existing mobs, and when e archers spawn, they immediately agro on whomever is nearest to them. I believe it is the latter case.

Can OP add the tank should face boss away from rest of party too? Lost count of the number of tankd who just so love taking the trouble to bring jarl to a corner, only to fight jarl with him facing the entir party wit his red light area. /facepalm

Delirium
12-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Good thought crystalite--added!

Yakiniku
12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
How about, if there is more than one warrior present, please don't have an aggro competition. My rogue seems to get a lot of exercise running out of the red cone lately because of this. :p

Delirium
12-16-2012, 02:01 AM
That's a good point too.. just today I was doing the "jarl dance" when two tanks were fighting over aggro.. until one of them ran out of potions and then just ran in circles, killing the mage that was with us.. that was a little funny. sad, but funny.

Wizard_Mike
12-16-2012, 03:22 AM
I thought this was the case too, but the last 5 runs I did, I always got attacked by the 2 archers in the bushes and one of the lancers even when the tank got their attention first.. maybe there is another factor that affects who gets aggro besides just who they see first? On my tank, I always make sure I give them a good charged AoE whack so I hit both of them. Nobody but me ever takes damage on my runs and I don't have to go out of my way to accomplish that.

I just feel that the tank has a little more responsibility in protecting the rest of the party--I mean after all, he IS the tank. He is supposed to take the damage.
It was just getting annoying doing run after run and having to use a bunch of pots before even getting to Jarl and not being able to do anything about it. It's not really hard for a tank to just swing as he's running to Jarl.. that's all it takes.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I always snag those goblins at the beginning with a charged HoR.

Wizard_Mike
12-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Can OP add the tank should face boss away from rest of party too? Lost count of the number of tankd who just so love taking the trouble to bring jarl to a corner, only to fight jarl with him facing the entir party wit his red light area. /facepalm

How about, if there is more than one warrior present, please don't have an aggro competition. My rogue seems to get a lot of exercise running out of the red cone lately because of this. :p

That's a good point too.. just today I was doing the "jarl dance" when two tanks were fighting over aggro.. until one of them ran out of potions and then just ran in circles, killing the mage that was with us.. that was a little funny. sad, but funny.

None of that would be a problem if the tank had Chest Splitter with Staggering Blow, which interrupts those windups.

Tilax
12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Very good basic tips for warriors. Well done :)

ShadowGunX
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
None of that would be a problem if the tank had Chest Splitter with Staggering Blow, which interrupts those windups.

i hav that upgrade. :-) nd dets y i dnt fear elite bael as HoR heals my whole party nd u kno wat my CS does ;-)

Dutchhardest
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah well i saw all the things a tank should do ok nice this will help me but the only problem im facing dont have that many armor 480 but if i dont pot my *** of i would die also because the other players never try and help me to heal. They all expect me to tank , ok no problem but when they see i almost die instead of bursting that heal skill near me they keep AOEing those mobs... Are they justnot paying attention or are they supposed to not heal me?
Cause if i die they are also doomed...

Sagacrown
12-20-2012, 02:58 PM
u should say "tip for rookie warriors" in title
agreed

crestmage
12-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Now that winter season is on, and the rabid santa goblin is on the loose, a quick detour to the pile of barrels on the bridge could be done :D