PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Hauntlet Build [Aggressor]

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Since the sorcerer threads aren't exactly overflowing I've posted this here.

This is all about positioning. Nail that, and the sorcerer will do work. Keep the mobs/enemy line on the edge of your screen and rain hate! All points in intelligence. Intelligence=Damage+mana. More mana means more damage and since you'll be spamming the hell out of your abilities, more mana=more face melting

Don't just use this when you need health. If you're keeping yourself away from trouble it's a handy mana perk. More mana is always good, all the time, especially when raining hate on your enemies. This is NOT to heal allies. That's not your job.

This skill is good in so many different situations. Try not to utilize it too close to Fireball w/ 25% hit reduction and you'll maximize the AOE CC/Debuff in this build.

This ability can be temperamental but sticking with the aggressive theme of this build it's epic. When it hits, it hits hard. When it procs....Hate rain.

An obvious staple in any sorc build. The -%25 is amazing and shouldn't be overshadowed by overlapping abilities with knockdown or other CC. It's a built in, highly spammable, survivability perk.

Deathpunch
12-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Yep, looks good to me, almost my build exactly. The effectiveness of this builds ability to bring the hurt is unparalleled. Seems I need to adjust my stats, though.

-----
Sent from my Nexus 7

Astrocat
12-15-2012, 09:20 AM
''Aggressor'' ... lol :p

Deathpunch
12-15-2012, 09:23 AM
''Aggressor'' ... lol :p

Yeah, you might want to read it. Mages take a little more effort to stay alive with than warriors.

-----
Sent from my Nexus 7

Astrocat
12-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah, you might want to read it. Mages take a little more effort to stay alive with than warriors.

-----
Sent from my Nexus 7

What is happening these days? everyone gets banned :(... today Gison, Cero, adee, and more ... :(

Royce
12-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Why bother with heal on an aggressor build? It's nothing but a minor pot saver. If you really want maximum face melting, you'd do far better replacing it with time shift.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Why bother with heal on an aggressor build? It's nothing but a minor pot saver. If you really want maximum face melting, you'd do far better replacing it with time shift.

Time shifts impact damage is lost unless enemies are within range . staying OUT of range is the entire point of this.

Healing is important because this build needs SOME form of survivability. HP is very low. Without a panic button you won't last long. Also, time shift doesn't cycle well with this.

csyui
12-15-2012, 01:48 PM
I dont think healing is necessary for hauntlet run. You have to charge to refill your mana, it may waste some time. I would suggest replace healing with arcane shield, and use potions during the run.

Lightning is good for boss fight coz of its high damage, but some times it's hard to hit on right target.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I dont think healing is necessary for hauntlet run. You have to charge to refill your mana, it may waste some time. I would suggest replace healing with arcane shield, and use potions during the run.

Lightning is good for boss fight coz of its high damage, but some times it's hard to hit on right target.

I can afford as many pots as I need but I feel builds that rely on them somehow lack integrity.

Since your HP is so low from this build, shield looses its luster. Your HP is going to get reduced regardless of how well you move about the battle. Healing supplies you with around 80% of your life back instantly.

As I said, lightning can be flakey but when it procs it simply vaporizes a good chunk of the enemy population.

Royce
12-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Time shifts impact damage is lost unless enemies are within range . staying OUT of range is the entire point of this.

Healing is important because this build needs SOME form of survivability. HP is very low. Without a panic button you won't last long. Also, time shift doesn't cycle well with this.
Panic button=health pot
Heal is nothing but a small money saver, and does far more good for your teammates than yourself. If you don't like time shift with this build, even frost would be better for your damage dealing purposes than heal. It just doesn't fit in at all. The only reason to use heal is as a support mage to keep your teammates mana full, and help a bit with health regen.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Panic button=health pot
Heal is nothing but a small money saver, and does far more good for your teammates than yourself. If you don't like time shift with this build, even frost would be better for your damage dealing purposes than heal. It just doesn't fit in at all. The only reason to use heal is as a support mage to keep your teammates mana full, and help a bit with health regen.

See my post above...

"just pot " is the obvious answer in ANY situation. Low HP? Just pot. Low INT? Just pot. Low armor? Just pot. Have a headache from playing too much? Well... you know where this is going...

Also, Gale/Fireball/Lightning encompasses all of your DPS needs in the time it takes to rotate them. adding another DPS ability would be superfluous so we should select an ability that offers utility.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 02:11 PM

See my posts above regarding DPS/cycling/utility constraints.

Royce
12-15-2012, 02:13 PM
See my post above...

"just pot " is the obvious answer in ANY situation. Low HP? Just pot. Low INT? Just pot. Low armor? Just pot. Have a headache from playing too much? Well... you know where this is going...

Also, Gale/Fireball/Lightning encompasses all of your DPS needs in the time it takes to rotate them. adding another DPS ability would be superfluous so we should select an ability that offers utility.
Yes just pot is the answer for low health when the sorcerer heal is so weak. It has a 15 second cooldown so chances are if you are in a panic, a pot is more likely available than a heal. And you're gonna have to define your "DPS needs". I was under the impression higher DPS was always better for a max damage build ;)
Maybe I misunderstood your intentions. If this is meant to be a hybrid damage/gold efficiency build, then fine, but for any max damage build, heal has no place IMO.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure how to explain this further. Maybe post your build and we'll evaluate it in its entirety.

Royce
12-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure how to explain this further. Maybe post your build and we'll evaluate it in its entirety.

Im pretty sure you don't need my build to explain why you want heal, which does nothing but save you money on pots, instead of another damage dealing skill, which would increase your overall damage (and add survivability through debuffs in the case of time shift). Either you want gold efficiency over damage, or you have some so far unexplained play style that wouldn't allow another attack skill to fit in. FYI, my current build has heal, but only because as a sorcerer, it's the best way I can contribute on boss rushes since rogues do better single target DPS and tanks tank. Sorcerers are only good for clearing mobs, and when everyone just runs past them, we become pretty pointless so I added it to give me some value to farming teams.

Nightarcher
12-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Yeah, time shift may be the most useful of all the AOE's. It should definitely be in here. :)

My build atm is:
4/5 Fireball
5/5 Time
2/5 Gale
4/5 Frost

PS: you should get an Enchanter hat of Security.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Im pretty sure you don't need my build to explain why you want heal, which does nothing but save you money on pots, instead of another damage dealing skill, which would increase your overall damage (and add survivability through debuffs in the case of time shift). Either you want gold efficiency over damage, or you have some so far unexplained play style that wouldn't allow another attack skill to fit in. FYI, my current build has heal, but only because as a sorcerer, it's the best way I can contribute on boss rushes since rogues do better single target DPS and tanks tank. Sorcerers are only good for clearing mobs, and when everyone just runs past them, we become pretty pointless so I added it to give me some value to farming teams.

this is a thread about a hauntlet build but thx for the FYI portion of your post. To the remaining content of your post, I'll direct you once again to my above posts. thx for your input! :D

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, time shift may be the most useful of all the AOE's. It should definitely be in here. :)

My build atm is:
4/5 Fireball
5/5 Time
2/5 Gale
4/5 Frost

PS: you should get an Enchanter hat of Security.

Time shifts roots or snares and DPSs in a radius. the root/snare is pointless in hauntlet if you're clearing mobs as fast as you can and the DPS in overshadowed by the recycling of skills offering utility like the fireball/gale knockdown.

Nightarcher
12-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Time shifts roots or snares and DPSs in a radius. the root/snare is pointless in hauntlet if you're clearing mobs as fast as you can and the DPS in overshadowed by the recycling of skills offering utility like the fireball/gale knockdown.

It still hits harder than any other aoe, and keeps melee mobs rooted therefore adding survivability. :)

Royce
12-15-2012, 03:07 PM
To the remaining content of your post, I'll direct you once again to my above posts. thx for your input! :D

So then you don't have an answer? Or your build is not for max hauntlet killing effectiveness, but for gold efficiency? Because you didn't explain the inclusion of heal for any sensible reason in any previous post.

DontNerfMeBro
12-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Bro.. If there's something you're not getting I can't help you.

Try rereading each post... slower.

Energizeric
12-16-2012, 12:50 AM
I have a similar build to the OP, except I have a 5th point in fireball and one less point in lightning. I didn't feel it worth using a point for the AoE on lightning. Since the chance of it happening is only 15%, and not worth having to charge the skill to get only an extra 10% chance of it being AoE.

Regarding the stats, I went with a 3-1-6 (str-dex-int) out of every 10 stat points. It seems the OP got much of his STR from the gear. I couldn't afford as good gear, so my gear is pretty good, but much of it gives a dex-int bonus instead of the str-int bonus which is more pricey for mage gear. So I had to spec some str. Even still, my final stats look similar to his except my damage is only around 140, but my armor is much higher at around 400.

But even with all that, I find myself still dying in Hauntlet, but that is when running with random groups. That is really my biggest problem, lack of being able to find a good group to run with for more than a few minutes, and then everyone wants to leave. So I end up joining random groups. Keeping away from the bad guys is very difficult when you got 140 dmg and the 3 people you are running with all have less than 100.

Royce
12-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Bro.. If there's something you're not getting I can't help you.

Try rereading each post... slower.

I've read every post, and I still can't understand why you would put heal in a build designed for hauntlet runs. It just doesn't fit. I figured since it was your build and you made a thread about it, you could explain it, but I guess not. Heal just doesn't logically fit into a hauntlet/damage build where the focus should be AOE damage. You can't even seem to explain why you think it does. Saying things like all my DPS needs are covered by other skills is just meaningless nonsense without further elaboration.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I've read every post, and I still can't understand why you would put heal in a build designed for hauntlet runs. It just doesn't fit. I figured since it was your build and you made a thread about it, you could explain it, but I guess not. Heal just doesn't logically fit into a hauntlet/damage build where the focus should be AOE damage. You can't even seem to explain why you think it does. Saying things like all my DPS needs are covered by other skills is just meaningless nonsense without further elaboration.

lol oh Royce.. (pets him on head)

Royce
12-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Okay how about we do this real simple like so even a 4 year old could play along. Tell me which of the following true statements you disagree with:

1) Heal does not help your survivability or killing effectiveness at all.
2) You can kill large groups of mobs faster with more AOE damage skills than with less.
3) doing more AOE damage means faster progression through the hauntlet.

If you disagree with none, than you are left with 2 options, please choose 1:
1) This build is not really for Hauntlet speed and devastation.
2) This build is not good.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Gettin a little mad?

Deathpunch
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Okay how about we do this real simple like so even a 4 year old could play along. Tell me which of the following true statements you disagree with:

1) Heal does not help your survivability or killing effectiveness at all.
2) You can kill large groups of mobs faster with more AOE damage skills than with less.
3) doing more AOE damage means faster progression through the hauntlet.

If you disagree with none, than you are left with 2 options, please choose 1:
1) This build is not really for Hauntlet speed and devastation.
2) This build is not good.

1. False. Heals increase your survivability.

2. Somewhat true. Why use a hammer to swat a fly. More DMG skills are unneeded.

3. False. Damaging isn't killing.

-----
Dear STS,
Make a squid buddy pet for AL.
Sincerely, everyone.

Royce
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Gettin a little mad?

No, I don't get mad about dumb stuff. I do find your inability to either explain the inclusion of heal or admit it's a gold saving cop out a bit frustrating, but hopefully most readers will be smart enough to realize the build is either flawed or misguided as is.

Royce
12-16-2012, 02:02 PM
1. False. Heals increase your survivability.
Nope with a 15 second cooldown and weak effect, survivability differences between someone using heal and pots and someone using only pots are nonexistent. It does nothing for survivability at this point in the game.

2. Somewhat true. Why use a hammer to swat a fly. More DMG skills are unneeded.
If this is true, then great. That's what I've been trying to get at. Maybe a play video would help?

3. False. Damaging isn't killing.
You're gonna have to elaborate here. Damaging is not killing but it is the one and only component of the process that produces kills.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 02:24 PM
No, I don't get mad about dumb stuff. I do find your inability to either explain the inclusion of heal or admit it's a gold saving cop out a bit frustrating, but hopefully most readers will be smart enough to realize the build is either flawed or misguided as is.

why you getting frustrated? if you don't understand, that's ok bro. You seem really taken by my build and I appreciate how much time you've spent on this thread.

I'm trying to think of better way to explain things... We'll get thru this together. just try not to get too mad in the meantime. cool bro? :)

Deathpunch
12-16-2012, 02:29 PM
why you getting frustrated? if you don't understand, that's ok bro. You seem really taken by my build and I appreciate how much time you've spent on this thread.

I'm trying to think of better way to explain things... We'll get thru this together. just try not to get too mad in the meantime. cool bro? :)

Try holding hands. The human contact will breed understanding.

-----
Dear STS,
Sincerely, everyone.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 02:37 PM

-----
Dear STS,
Sincerely, everyone.

hahaha!

Astrocat
12-16-2012, 04:12 PM

-----
Dear STS,
Sincerely, everyone.

Lol xD I have a friend who I should say this to -_-

Energizeric
12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I think there needs to be a question asked here...

(1) Is the purpose of your "hauntlet build" to finish the hauntlet in record time?

...Or...

(2) Is the purpose of your "hauntlet build" to farm the haunlet for the 350 hauntlet coins needed to buy both hauntlet exclusive pets?

If your answer is 1, then Royce is correct that the heal skill will not help your survivability as you can use potions instead. BUT....if your answer is 2, then heal will help you avoid spending tens of thousands of gold in potions during your hundreds of hauntlet runs.

For me, I'm more interested in #2. I've been running dozens of hauntlet runs every day trying to accumulate hauntlet coins, and if I end up using 20 health potions and 5 mana potions on every run, then my cost of getting to 350 coins will be huge. Instead, I have to find a way to minimize this cost, and using the heal skill saves me from having to use any mana pots, and minimizes that number of health pots needed per run to only a few.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I think there needs to be a question asked here...

(1) Is the purpose of your "hauntlet build" to finish the hauntlet in record time?

...Or...

(2) Is the purpose of your "hauntlet build" to farm the haunlet for the 350 hauntlet coins needed to buy both hauntlet exclusive pets?

If your answer is 1, then Royce is correct that the heal skill will not help your survivability as you can use potions instead. BUT....if your answer is 2, then heal will help you avoid spending tens of thousands of gold in potions during your hundreds of hauntlet runs.

For me, I'm more interested in #2. I've been running dozens of hauntlet runs every day trying to accumulate hauntlet coins, and if I end up using 20 health potions and 5 mana potions on every run, then my cost of getting to 350 coins will be huge. Instead, I have to find a way to minimize this cost, and using the heal skill saves me from having to use any mana pots, and minimizes that number of health pots needed per run to only a few.

I mentioned my sentiments on pots on Page 1 of this thread. Maybe you could read it and help Royce out at the same time. He's taking this pretty hard. :(

FYI: Pots don't help the rogue in your party with health/mana management. Healing w/perk does. A good rogue can be a large part of a fast run. Of course this is where Royce will say, "uh tell the rogue to spam pots too!"

Royce
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I mentioned my sentiments on pots on Page 1 of this thread. Maybe you could read it and help Royce out at the same time. He's taking this pretty hard. :(

FYI: Pots don't help the rogue in your party with health/mana management. Healing w/perk does. A good rogue can be a large part of a fast run. Of course this is where Royce will say, "uh tell the rogue to spam pots too!"

You specifically stated the heal is not for your party, it's for you. Yes, it saves everyone money, but rogue could also spam pots and play with the same effectiveness they'd have with pots plus a heal every 15 sec. All I'm saying is, if this build's for maximum damage output and speed runs, without consideration for things like gold economy, then heal makes no sense. If you can provide a convincing argument for why an additional offensive spell would have no impact on your speed/success, then I could change my mind, but I can't see how that would be possible. It sounds to me like this is intended as a less extreme Hauntlet running build with gold economy and party friendly considered alongside speed/destructive capability, and that's fine. You just weren't clear on that, and didn't explain (in fact denied) that the purpose of including heal was to support your party and reduce pot dependency until now.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
You specifically stated the heal is not for your party, it's for you. Yes, it saves everyone money, but rogue could also spam pots and play with the same effectiveness they'd have with pots plus a heal every 15 sec. All I'm saying is, if this build's for maximum damage output and speed runs, without consideration for things like gold economy, then heal makes no sense. If you can provide a convincing argument for why an additional offensive spell would have no impact on your speed/success, then I could change my mind, but I can't see how that would be possible. It sounds to me like this is intended as a less extreme Hauntlet running build with gold economy and party friendly considered alongside speed/destructive capability, and that's fine. You just weren't clear on that, and didn't explain (in fact denied) that the purpose of including heal was to support your party and reduce pot dependency until now.

*yawn stretch* tl;dr

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Working you like a puppet... all day Royce.

Delphina
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Please everyone follow the forum rules:

1. Please Respect Others.
The purpose of the forum is to provide a platform for the exchange of ideas. Occasionally, conflicts may arise when people voice opinions. Be courteous when disagreeing with others. Debating the opinion is appropriate, however criticism against the originator of the opinion is not allowed. Disrespect can be construed as flaming, trolling, harassing, profanity, abusive language or abbreviations, personal attacks, racial, religious, ethnic, sexual slurs, or similar behavior/language.

Flaming is defined as posts which are designed to personally berate or insult another.

Trolling is defined as deliberately posting derogatory, inflammatory comments/threads in order to bait other users into responding. Trolling or accusing someone of being a troll is also a form of trolling and is not permitted.

Posts similar to “Moderator Notified” or “Needs thread lock” are discouraged, as these types of posts are a form of trolling. If a thread is in violation of the forum rules, use the notify moderator button or send a private message to a moderator or administrator directly.

Personal attacks include, but are not limited to insulting a poster directly:

Example: “You are stupid, you suck, and you should [censored].”

I don't want to have to close this thread
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/misc.php?do=vsarules

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Delph.. you're like a laser guided missile of order and reason...

No worries... I'm cool.

but seriously... what do YOU think of this build?

Sharaobic
12-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Why not include frost instead of lightning for max damage ?

Sharaobic
12-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Why not include frost instead of lightning for max damage ? U know i accidentaly chose frost instead of lightning for max damage built but i have only +3secs improvement to frost so 2 skill poin4s are wasted, the rest like urs.my mage is on level 10 should i delete him? btw he is pure intel.

dtandel10
12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
i think ur build is great wiv the 200 damage

but in the update when u get skill poins spend on active skill and maybe 1-3 on passive that way ull be able to see the difference of how important heal is/not

when the update comes im gonna have this build

fireball 4/5
lightning 4/5
gale 3/5
frost 4/5
heal 1/5 - save that 2 pots

ill only have heal when doing eliet and probebly hauntlet