PDA

View Full Version : Passives. *sigh*

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 07:06 AM
I was pretty pumped when I heard about this, but I only just read the details.

I'm a little disappointed and frustrated to see how lack luster these abilities are.

I will spend points in the same predictable manner that the game's uninspiring ability system has strangled each playable character into from the beginning.

Bless
12-16-2012, 07:16 AM
English plox? =]

Astrocat
12-16-2012, 07:17 AM
English plox? =]

Just read again, even me being French, I understand it. Lol, Miracle. xD

Lovee
12-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Yea, it's pretty.. Basic? Oh well, better than nothing I guess :)

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 07:29 AM
English plox? =]

This part of the update will not change anything about the way you've already been playing your characterters. No new game dynamic, character depth, or actual "content" comes from this..

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Yea, it's pretty.. Basic? Oh well, better than nothing I guess :)

Not necessarily Lovee. If I knew we were getting nothing there'd be less disappointment.

Astrocat
12-16-2012, 07:42 AM
This part of the update will not change anything about the way you've already been playing your characterters. No new game dynamic, character depth, or actual "content" comes from this..

But I thought it will? They talked about these passive skills, giving you bonus, and boosts stats. Do you mean it won't really be this?

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 08:05 AM
But I thought it will? They talked about these passive skills, giving you bonus, and boosts stats. Do you mean it won't really be this?

No no. They will work as mentioned but I don't think anybody would argue that there isn't much versatility in the way you can spec your characterters abilities. Sure you can play around with a little more/less of one ability but in order to be effectual... each class has to stack their build around 1 of 3 attributes.

The passives just make you do more of the same thing with at best, an imperceptible amount of added wiggle room.

Astrocat
12-16-2012, 08:08 AM
No no. They will work as mentioned but I don't think anybody would argue that there isn't much versatility in the way you can spec your characterters abilities. Sure you can play around with a little more/less of one ability but in order to be effectual... each class has to stack their build around 1 of 3 attributes.

The passives just make you do more of the same thing with at best, an imperceptible amount of added wiggle room.

Ah, makes sense. I get it now! Would be pretty good, even StS added few more points, since we won't have enough to max 4 skills, and add some few passive skills. Sure Passive ones are optional, but maxed passive skills with maxed skills would be beast. At least they should have a option to purchase more points through platinum. Just a thought.

Nightarcher
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm perfectly happy with these basic passives, which—in my opinion—give plenty of room for build customization. If you don't like them, you can choose to be a more active-skill-based player. There's so much to choose from! :)

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm perfectly happy with these basic passives, which—in my opinion—give plenty of room for build customization. If you don't like them, you can choose to be a more active-skill-based player. There's so much to choose from! :)

*shrug

Well hell... I'm not gonna try and talk you out of happiness.

Cahaun
12-16-2012, 12:35 PM
In Champions of Norrath, the passive skills actually help a lot. There are some that increase damage with certain weapons, increase regeneration for health or mana, or special abilities that add to your abilities or certain status.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 12:52 PM
In Champions of Norrath, the passive skills actually help a lot. There are some that increase damage with certain weapons, increase regeneration for health or mana, or special abilities that add to your abilities or certain status.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?79241-New-Passive-Character-Abilities-Coming-in-the-Dead-City-Expansion

I understand that they DO something but... This sort of change is pretty lazy from an improvement standpoint. I'm not undervaluing the effort that goes into this sort of thing by saying this wasn't likely a very difficult task considering the components were preexisting.

Wizard_Mike
12-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm happy to see passives added into the game, so looking forward to the update. I agree they aren't as exciting as I had hoped, since it's the same passives for all classes and they all simply give stats you would find on gear (strength, armor, crit, etc.), so nothing unique.

But this is only the first level cap increase, so I imagine STS didn't want to get too carried away with new mechanics. Now that the passive system is in place, we can hope for more specialized passives in the future, like passive poisons for rogues, increased that/aggro for warriors, etc.

I'm personally hoping that some day we'll see passives like:
Increased threat/aggro for warriors
Decreased threat/aggro for rogues and sorcerers
Block for warriors (chance to reduce an incoming physical attack to zero)
Healing effects increased for warriors

We're getting a lot of new areas, Christmas stuff, new passive system, level cap increase, etc. It's a lot of stuff, so I can't blame them for sticking with simple passives for right now, rather than going crazy with a lot of new mechanics.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm happy to see passives added into the game, so looking forward to the update. I agree they aren't as exciting as I had hoped, since it's the same passives for all classes and they all simply give stats you would find on gear (strength, armor, crit, etc.), so nothing unique.

But this is only the first level cap increase, so I imagine STS didn't want to get too carried away with new mechanics. Now that the passive system is in place, we can hope for more specialized passives in the future, like passive poisons for rogues, increased that/aggro for warriors, etc.

I'm personally hoping that some day we'll see passives like:
Increased threat/aggro for warriors
Decreased threat/aggro for rogues and sorcerers
Block for warriors (chance to reduce an incoming physical attack to zero)
Healing effects increased for warriors

We're getting a lot of new areas, Christmas stuff, new passive system, level cap increase, etc. It's a lot of stuff, so I can't blame them for sticking with simple passives for right now, rather than going crazy with a lot of new mechanics.

Fair enough. Having played all the STS titles I guess I'm a little cynical when it comes to waiting patiently for some creative innovation.

Deathpunch
12-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Fair enough. Having played all the STS titles I guess I'm a little cynical when it comes to anything.

Fify

-----
Dear STS,
Make a squid buddy pet for AL.
Sincerely, everyone.

*Zero*
12-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Can we wait till it's actually released before the criticism starts?.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Can we wait till it's actually released before the criticism starts?.

You can do whatever you like.

Asahetek
12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Dont partically like the passive skills, was hopeing for class specfic ones. Example decrease agro, increase mana regain for rogues those are 2 areas rogues need help with.

But giving the amnount of content they are adding, hopefully they will add more advanced passive skills at a later date

Tilax
12-16-2012, 04:50 PM
still dont like the fact that 21 is split apart for active and passive ones

Energizeric
12-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I totally disagree with the OP. In PL we tend to see that for example, all bears are almost identical with the same gear and the same skills and stats. In AL we are seeing that this is not the case at all. For example, I'm a sorcerer. To begin with, some sorcerers are going full INT, others going STR/INT. It seems totally up in the air as to which 4 skills most sorcerers use, it's not even close to being agreed upon which are "best". Then lastly, as for gear there is even disagreement there which is the best gear. For example, I went the route of more armor, but many go the route of highest damage. So if you take ten level 16 sorcerers at random, I don't think you will find 2 that resemble eachother. Take ten players of the same class in PL, and you will find at most 3 different variations, and you may find all ten the same.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 06:43 PM
I totally disagree with the OP. In PL we tend to see that for example, all bears are almost identical with the same gear and the same skills and stats. In AL we are seeing that this is not the case at all. For example, I'm a sorcerer. To begin with, some sorcerers are going full INT, others going STR/INT. It seems totally up in the air as to which 4 skills most sorcerers use, it's not even close to being agreed upon which are "best". Then lastly, as for gear there is even disagreement there which is the best gear. For example, I went the route of more armor, but many go the route of highest damage. So if you take ten level 16 sorcerers at random, I don't think you will find 2 that resemble eachother. Take ten players of the same class in PL, and you will find at most 3 different variations, and you may find all ten the same.

You haven't clarified the purpose of your build... Of which you have two options... Elite runs or everything else.. Once you acknowledge this, the tunnel narrows pretty sharply in regards to effective options for a good build.

TheAnonymous
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't see myself using any of these passives.

I had high hopes the passives would be race/class specific and not general for everyone to pick the same ones.

The only thing this update has of interest for me is more levels and the items that come with it outside of that pretty depressing update.

Energizeric
12-16-2012, 07:06 PM
You haven't clarified the purpose of your build... Of which you have two options... Elite runs or everything else.. Once you acknowledge this, the tunnel narrows pretty sharply in regards to effective options for a good build.

Yes, but since we can only have one build and not keep 2 builds to toggle between, we are forced to compromise and choose somewhere in the middle. Most of us want a build that is somewhat useful throughout the game. I expect that I will be doing elite runs, regular runs, and even PVP once it is released. So I must decide where my priorities are and construct a build that works for all of those purposes. And I'm pretty sure my build will end up being different than many others.

nicoB
12-16-2012, 07:10 PM
It would be cool if someone invested all the skill points in movement speed at a later lvl and lvl run circles around everone in CTF.
Lvl 51 cap = 50 % movement speed 76 cap 75% and so on...which is probably why there isnt 2 sets of skill points for pasive and reg. you have to think ahead

Wizard_Mike
12-16-2012, 07:21 PM
It would be cool if someone invested all the skill points in movement speed at a later lvl and lvl run circles around everone in CTF.
Lvl 51 cap = 50 % movement speed 76 cap 75% and so on...which is probably why there isnt 2 sets of skill points for pasive and reg. you have to think ahead

You can only invest a maximum of five points into each passive, so the max you can get is 5% movement speed, regardless what the level cap is.

nenjih
12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I got excited about passives because I thought they would be class specific. But it's the same for every class =(

Passives are excellent way of dumping skill points if you are just trying to limit active skills to four slots. In this case though they don't seem to give a good return

nicoB
12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Oops didnt realize that. thanks for the correction

nicoB
12-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I feel dumb now...I'm not gona post in forum anymore

Vystirch
12-16-2012, 08:42 PM
I feel dumb now...I'm not gona post in forum anymore

Lol no one will remember man just stick with it. We are all here to have a good time. We won't judge.

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Lol no one will remember man just stick with it. We are all here to have a good time. We won't judge.

*I* will judge! MWU HWAVHWAHA!

No seriously... Just ignore your failures.. don't point them out. Look at me. I sweat pro, bleed pro.. and omg.. I just pro'd all over the place.

brb: have to clean up this mess of pro'ness

Astrocat
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
*I* will judge! MWU HWAVHWAHA!

No seriously... Just ignore your failures.. don't point them out. Look at me. I sweat pro, bleed pro.. and omg.. I just pro'd all over the place.

brb: have to clean up this mess of pro'ness

Didn't know you had some much humor in you :D

DontNerfMeBro
12-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Didn't know you had some much humor in you :D

Yes you did..

ShadowGunX
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
so u want passive skills like zenonia series?

CriticalCyr
12-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Ah, makes sense. I get it now! Would be pretty good, even StS added few more points, since we won't have enough to max 4 skills, and add some few passive skills. Sure Passive ones are optional, but maxed passive skills with maxed skills would be beast. At least they should have a option to purchase more points through platinum. Just a thought.

Remember we aren't stopping at 21 forever ;) if we could max all of our skills and a few passives at 21, there might not be anything to grow into in later expansions.

Tuik
12-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Everyone's build is the same with respecs available at any given time. If you want a game where every character is different, find one where there are no stat/skill resets.

However, there's no best build in AL. You pick whatever suits your playing style.

Frealaf
12-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Have to agree the passives are pretty meh, they should at least have been class specific. ie increased threat for warriors, increased weapon speed for rogues, increased range for sorcerors are just some examples.

Also the ones that increase by a percentage such as increase armour by 1% is pretty useless until later levels, 1% at level 21 is hardly anything, whereas at level 50+ will be much better spent.

Can't really see me using the passives, unless I have 4 actives maxed out and there is no way of using extra active skills.

Astrocat
12-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Remember we aren't stopping at 21 forever ;) if we could max all of our skills and a few passives at 21, there might not be anything to grow into in later expansions.

Didn't think about that. I get it now. :)

Rare
12-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Im not sure what you were expecting i guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

*Zero*
12-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Im not sure what you were expecting i guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Probably some outrageous passives like a +1000 HP buff or 100% crit buff. I for one like the passives. I'm a tank so str,armor and damage passives will be nice.

Rare
12-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Probably some outrageous passives like a +1000 HP buff or 100% crit buff. I for one like the passives. I'm a tank so str,armor and damage passives will be nice.

I think these new passives will make builds even more diverse. And when PVP is available, I think it was have a drastic effect on that part of the game. I think its fantastic in DL... and I think it will be fantastic here.

Edit: Fantastic assuming you temper your expectations.

TheLowerLight
12-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Pretty boring passives. Just more stats that you can get from armor/weapons. I would have liked to seen more passives that are game changing and affect the playstyle of your character for example:

for warrior:
Blood Feud - 1% chance to gain 1% of max HP back on each attack. (max of 5% to gain 5% of hp)
Threatening Presence - Basic attacks gain more aggro per point.
Spiked armor - 3% of damage taken is reflected back to enemies. (max of 15% reflect)

for rogue:
Shadow mastery - shadow piercer and shadow veil have their mana requirements lowered by 5%. (max of 25%)
Bow master - noxious bolt and aimed shot (?) gain 1% damage and 1% critical chance. (max of 5% dmg. and 5% crit)
Hidden from View - fully charged attacks have a 20% chance to give you a 100% dodge buff for 1 second. (max 100% chance)

for sorcerer:
Arcane acquisition - mana regen is increased by 2/sec. (max 10/sec)
Elemental forces - damage done by elemental attacks (fire, frost, lightning, wind) are increased by 2%. (max 10%)
Silence - your offensive skills have a chance to interrupt the target's skill casting by 10%. (max 50%)

Now these are good passives. Skill points are scarce still and aren't worth throwing away in passives where you will hardly notice a difference.

Energizeric
12-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I think PvP is going to be very interesting when it comes out. You got different skills, different pets and now different passives. So you could have a well-rounded character, or you could go extreme and put everything into one area.

For example, as a Sorcerer I could max out Frost and Lightning, then be full INT and put 5 passives into INT. That, along with top gear and a good INT pet bonus, I would cause some serious damage. Or I could put some of my points into STR to boost my HP, and then equip a pet like Koko to boost my armor, and go the more conservative route. There are so many ways to do this. You can go full offensive, full defensive, or somewhere in between. There are going to be lots of different builds.

McBain
12-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I think the passives are pretty cool. One aspect of DL I liked and I'm happy to see it here. Keep in mind that things have to be set up to work far down the line, like when the characters are at level 50 or 60, for example. These passives may seem minor now at level 16, but later on in the game, the majority of your skill points will end up being stacked in passives, and they'll be making a huge difference then.

Rare
12-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Pretty boring passives. Just more stats that you can get from armor/weapons. I would have liked to seen more passives that are game changing and affect the playstyle of your character for example:

for warrior:
Blood Feud - 1% chance to gain 1% of max HP back on each attack. (max of 5% to gain 5% of hp)
Spiked armor - 3% of damage taken is reflected back to enemies. (max of 15% reflect)

for rogue:
Shadow mastery - shadow piercer and shadow veil have their mana requirements lowered by 5%. (max of 25%)
Bow master - noxious bolt and aimed shot (?) gain 1% damage and 1% critical chance. (max of 5% dmg. and 5% crit)
Hidden from View - fully charged attacks have a 20% chance to give you a 100% dodge buff for 1 second. (max 100% chance)

for sorcerer:
Elemental forces - damage done by elemental attacks (fire, frost, lightning, wind) are increased by 2%. (max 10%)
Silence - your offensive skills have a chance to interrupt the target's skill casting by 10%. (max 50%)

Now these are good passives. Skill points are scarce still and aren't worth throwing away in passives where you will hardly notice a difference.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

CosmoxKramer
12-18-2012, 11:23 AM

for warrior:

for rogue:

for sorcerer:

This is exactly what i was hoping for!! The current Passives are pretty lame. I am glad you started the thread DontNerfMe because it needs to be said. I would even change a couple of these. With mana problems for Rogues, i would say add a passive that returns X% mana on crit. Also, as levels increase the Arcane Acquisition would need to be 1%-5% m/s instead of a flat mana amount. 10 m/s when spells cost nearly 110 mana on average at level 21 and you have 3000+ mana. Silence % may be a bit high, but this is all theoretical. I really hope STS looks at these suggestions...

@McBain, i do agree you have to look down the line, but i'm sure they will add more skills and stuff to make more variety in builds. If even 1/2 of the passives were interesting like the above ones and then the others could be some of the flat boosts to stats that they showed us now.

TheLowerLight
12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
This is exactly what i was hoping for!! The current Passives are pretty lame. I am glad you started the thread DontNerfMe because it needs to be said. I would even change a couple of these. With mana problems for Rogues, i would say add a passive that returns X% mana on crit. Also, as levels increase the Arcane Acquisition would need to be 1%-5% m/s instead of a flat mana amount. 10 m/s when spells cost nearly 110 mana on average at level 21 and you have 3000+ mana. Silence % may be a bit high, but this is all theoretical. I really hope STS looks at these suggestions...

@McBain, i do agree you have to look down the line, but i'm sure they will add more skills and stuff to make more variety in builds. If even 1/2 of the passives were interesting like the above ones and then the others could be some of the flat boosts to stats that they showed us now.

Thanks for the recognition. Coming from WoW, I'm used to seeing skill descriptions and passives being literally PARAGRAPHS long. Players like when things are a little complex, but not too complex, and they like it when skills do something that you cannot get from equipment. Players like procs and percentage-scaling. Players do not like simple, small improvements that have no proc, like a passive that gives 1% more armor >.<

I think the current passives seem lazy and uncreative, which is what life is like. Players want fun, interesting and interactive, something that is not common in life.

Rare
12-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the recognition. Coming from WoW, I'm used to seeing skill descriptions and passives being literally PARAGRAPHS long. Players like when things are a little complex, but not too complex, and they like it when skills do something that you cannot get from equipment. Players like procs and percentage-scaling. Players do not like simple, small improvements that have no proc, like a passive that gives 1% more armor >.<

I think the current passives seem lazy and uncreative, which is what life is like. Players want fun, interesting and interactive, something that is not common in life.

First, I respect your opinion. However, you shouldn't speak as if you are everyone's voice. I for one do not consider more complexity appealing in a mobile game. If I wanted complex, I would sit down at my PC or notebook and start playing WoW.

Edit: I do agree that the passives could be a more impactful though. 1% seem very low.

flashbackflip
12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
First, I respect your opinion. However, you shouldn't speak as if you are everyone's voice. I for one do not consider more complexity appealing in a mobile game. If I wanted complex, I would sit down at my PC or notebook and start playing WoW.

Edit: I do agree that the passives could be a more impactful though. 1% seem very low.

first, if we count all comments in this thread we will see that TLL actually represents the bigger part of voices

second, he should speak the way he wants as soon as he does not offends anyone (and he doesn't)

third, there is difference between 'complex' and 'uncreative' - and this difference matters

personally i'm dissapointed in passives and hope STS will change them at least someday..

Justg
12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
As with most things, we'll get them in fairly conservatively and see how they affect gameplay. The sky... contrary to some people's beliefs... is not falling.

Rare
12-18-2012, 01:40 PM
first, if we count all comments in this thread we will see that TLL actually represents the bigger part of voices

second, he should speak the way he wants as soon as he does not offends anyone (and he doesn't)

third, there is difference between 'complex' and 'uncreative' - and this difference matters

personally i'm dissapointed in passives and hope STS will change them at least someday..

Yes yes... you are right. Of the 25 or so people that posted in this thread, the majority agree. And that is a good representation of "players" as a whole. My mistake my mistake.

Nobody said anything about offending anyone. All I said was that blanket statements shouldn't be made. If you need some help understanding what I meant, by all means, pm me and I'll help. Has nothing to do with offending people.

While I'm sure you're correct about definitions of "complex" vs "uncreative", I was responding to this quote "Players like when things are a little complex, but not too complex,". Or are you saying he mispoke?

McBain
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Players like procs and percentage-scaling. Players do not like simple, small improvements that have no proc, like a passive that gives 1% more armor >.<\

Speak for yourself man.

CosmoxKramer
12-18-2012, 03:39 PM
As with most things, we'll get them in fairly conservatively and see how they affect gameplay. The sky... contrary to some people's beliefs... is not falling.

Thanks for posting Justg. While i understand the sky isn't falling, i wish there could be some passives to help with the mana issues of Mage/rogue. It will only get worse as the mana regen from both pets and out of combat regen is a flat variable (not %) and spell costs and mana pools increase with levels. This is where i would have like to have seen some creativity (not complexity) in the passives. Mana% on crit for rogues, etc.

And i agree with Flashbackflip, that i hope these do get changed someday :) Thank you for always listening STS

Asahetek
12-18-2012, 03:46 PM
I dont have a big problem with the current passive abilites, but just wish there were some class spefic one to to help with the issues that some clases have.

Tree Dude
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM

for warrior:

for rogue:

for sorcerer:

I like these. Not overly complex, but still a bit different. Unfortunately I think the ship has sailed. We may get more in the future, but not till we get a lot more skill points. I say 4-6 months before we see any more skills.

Roberto077
12-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Cmon, don't complain! StS has worked their butts off to bring us the winterfests, massive PL updates, and the Dead City expansion. Passives will be fine. Thank StS for their amazing work!!

DontNerfMeBro
12-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Have sentiments changed since the new release?