PDA

View Full Version : is one dev still assigned to each game?

wvhills
12-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi,
I was going to put this thread in the general spacetime section but it's been changed to the insider section so...I guess this is as good a place to put it as any.

Many of you may remember Mt Fang era of PL. You probably do because it was level cap for 8 months or so. During that time most of STS' personnel were working on DL. PL and SL went a looooooooooooonnnng time without updates. STS made a good decision at that time and assigned a dev to each franchise. Technoemail was assigned to PL, Carapace was assigned to DL and "Gibber" (who may or may not be real) was assigned to SL. I never even downloaded SL but from what I read I don't think it received much attention after that but PL and DL started getting updated more frequently. Not only that, but PL, imo, experienced a rebirth in creativity. Humania (while way to spread out and prone to scatterbears for me) and blacksmoke maps and equips were new and not rehashed balefort maps like mt fang or reused bosses like nuri's.

We haven't heard anything from "Gibber" in months. Idk if he quit or was made up to start with so idk who is taking care of SL. I've seen both carapace and techno post on the AL forums (mostly carapace with techno posting occasionally). It seems to me carapace is the lead dev on AL so it appears he is splitting time between it and DL. The level cap in DL has been the same for a long time and now we hear STS is working on yet another game.

I think the idea of assigning a single dev to each franchise is a great way to go. Imo both PL and DL were doing great when things were arranged that way. I guess I'd like some clarification of what to expect in the future. Is the expectation of a new level cap in each game once every 3 months unrealistic? With so few devs working on so many games should we expect a level cap once every 6 months or once a year? AL is being updated today and I'm looking forward to it but it's the new game. It seems like the pattern is to start a new game, update it often to get people playing then create a new game and update the older games less and less.

So, here's my question: Would you guys rather play 1 or 2 games that regularly get updated or spread yourselves out over 5 or 6 that are updated less? I'm not into scifi so i never played SL and it's too dead there to get started, I love pvp in DL but hate the Pve, PL has become way too elixir intensive for me so I'm left with AL but I understand people are different and was just curious as to how others feel.

Tree Dude
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I play just AL and PL. Not enough time to play 4 games for me. I made quick toon on SL and played it for a bit, but it seemed like a reskinned PL to me, so I stopped.

I think PL will be around a long time. SL seems to be fading and I predict it will be the first game STS gets rid of. They already have a 5th game in the works and are spreading themselves very thin. Unless the 5th game is a true MMO and not instanced, I don't see why they would bother.

Limsi
12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
A very well detailed observation there.

To give thoughts on your question, I would most like choose a single game and treat it as my main priority, no back ups and such. Something that I could spend time on without minding the need to shell out real money if it's for the further cultivation of my playing experience.

Updates would pretty much be an added fuel to every MMO player's veins. The thought of having map expansions, level cap extensions, the introduction of new quests, newly-designed armors/weapons to your arsenal line up, and pretty much any innovation that would redefine the current playing style of players in a game would never be much more promising. For a player like me who considers a game so important at times when I spend most of my time into grinding and "merching" for better equips, I would never trade these experiences over different titles on the same category (MMORPG). The term "Focus" pretty much sums up my personality towards games like these

Yet,

If a game gets less updated, I would most probably minimize my focus and playing time. Since monotonous grinding and farming for the things that I desire may seem a potential threat for my enthusiasm, regular updates and development play a big factor for me.

Slant
12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
what do you mean get rid of?
hope things aren't as bad as that

Urqui
12-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Gibber seems really hyper like technoemail. hmmmm:suspicion:

Slant
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
wow lol, conspiracy theories on dev identities... pls not to hurt dev's feelings, recycling is always for the best, wouldn't you rather have the things that already take up space in the game put to better use? and there is always some kind of player churn, maybe they are thinking a little too long term for our immediate comfort, but the pay-off is that we have a great time ahead in future updates