PDA

View Full Version : Got pots? A cruch for ineffectual builds..

DontNerfMeBro
12-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Got a solid build that doesn't rely on potting to fill the gaps?

Post it. Theorycrafting is dreamy. Screen shots are forever.

ShadowGunX
12-25-2012, 10:01 AM
wait for 3-4months

DontNerfMeBro
12-25-2012, 11:45 AM
wait for 3-4months

for what?

primaeva
12-25-2012, 02:14 PM
*blink* I would imagine sorcerers could do something with infinite CC and their mana regen heal. Warriors too, with HoR and Vengeful Blood mana regen.

But which PvE encounter are you trying to get builds for? Potting, while cheesy, is a legit part of the game, and sacrificing gold for added DPS and faster runs is what everyone's willing to do.

DontNerfMeBro
12-25-2012, 02:24 PM
*blink* I would imagine sorcerers could do something with infinite CC and their mana regen heal. Warriors too, with HoR and Vengeful Blood mana regen.

But which PvE encounter are you trying to get builds for? Potting, while cheesy, is a legit part of the game, and sacrificing gold for added DPS and faster runs is what everyone's willing to do.

+pot=win.. is this incorrect?

primaeva
12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
+pot=win.. is this incorrect?

Well, it really depends on the format of the game. If there was a leaderboard/map mode that disallowed or limited potting (cooldown perhaps), some people would build towards that and it would make for very realistic PvE.

But the current race is "go full int/dex and pot", isn't it? There's nothing to really be gained by doing it slow with a survival build when you can burst it down with full damage and infinite HP.

I get what you mean though-- I would love for that leaderboard to become reality. One pot every 10 seconds, maybe. It'll make warriors vital again, and encourage a lot of gear and build diversity. The sad truth is, if it's not recognized by STS, no one's going to bother :(

DontNerfMeBro
12-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Well, it really depends on the format of the game. If there was a leaderboard/map mode that disallowed or limited potting (cooldown perhaps), some people would build towards that and it would make for very realistic PvE.

But the current race is "go full int/dex and pot", isn't it? There's nothing to really be gained by doing it slow with a survival build when you can burst it down with full damage and infinite HP.

I get what you mean though-- I would love for that leaderboard to become reality. One pot every 10 seconds, maybe. It'll make warriors vital again, and encourage a lot of gear and build diversity. The sad truth is, if it's not recognized by STS, no one's going to bother :(

Doesn't it blow your mind to think about it? Why haven't pots been addressed?

Lemme take a gander at it....

Because if you have platinum, there is no character imbalance...there is no mana drought for rogues, there is no HP limitation for sorcerers, and warriors? ha...well, the didn't have the mana draught thing to begin with.

Energizeric
12-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Well, a good start is to spec so that you got more health &/or mana points. If you are a rogue however, then that is not really possible, so rogues probably use the most pots. Flap Jack is my favorite pet because he gives bonus of +8 mana & health regen, so that saves a ton of pots. I'm a sorcerer and I have heal maxed out, so it not only heals but gives a mana boost too, and increases both mana & health regen for 10 seconds as well. So I'm probably an example of a build that needs the least pots possible at this point. But I still use pots anyway, maybe just not as much as most do.

Wizard_Mike
12-28-2012, 03:24 AM

You first! ;)

I can see a well coordinated group with each player specced properly being able to run without using pots. Something like two warriors (both with HoR and VB) and two sorceres both with the heal that regens mana (whatever it's called). If they time their cooldowns properly they could probably keep their health and mana capped off. Heck, if all four players ran with nexus and used his arcane ability on a rotation, they probably wouldn't even need any mana regen abilities.

I can't see a single individual ever getting to the point where they never needed to use pots, though. It would definitely have to be a coordinated effort.

DontNerfMeBro
12-28-2012, 03:55 AM
You first! ;)

I can see a well coordinated group with each player specced properly being able to run without using pots. Something like two warriors (both with HoR and VB) and two sorceres both with the heal that regens mana (whatever it's called). If they time their cooldowns properly they could probably keep their health and mana capped off. Heck, if all four players ran with nexus and used his arcane ability on a rotation, they probably wouldn't even need any mana regen abilities.

I can't see a single individual ever getting to the point where they never needed to use pots, though. It would definitely have to be a coordinated effort.

me first?! lol indeed!

I dunno. maybe this is a doomed thread. I respect the Devs need for income.. more than most of you.

but when button mashing pots is the best notion for character performance solutions, I guess I feel a little cheated. I have a thread in the sorc forum where Royce and I get a little hot over this arguing about a build. check it out. ;)
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?79323-Sorcerer-Hauntlet-Build-Aggressor

tl;dr

the need for character potting isn't a build component, it's a developmental flaw, and as far as AL goes, it's widespread.

Energizeric
12-28-2012, 04:49 AM
In PL we all needed pots early on as well. Then I can remember once I upgraded to glyph gear at level 60 my health and mana regen was so high I rarely needed them, only in certain situations on occasion.

KillingManiac
12-28-2012, 04:55 AM

For my build I have vengeful blood and horn of Renew so I don't need to pot when solo-ing normal maps or tombs .For elite too, but also must must depends on your party mates.

DontNerfMeBro
12-28-2012, 05:21 AM
In PL we all needed pots early on as well. Then I can remember once I upgraded to glyph gear at level 60 my health and mana regen was so high I rarely needed them, only in certain situations on occasion.

Aren't players already milked dry by then? Honest question.. thinking about brushing the dust off

Energizeric
12-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Aren't players already milked dry by then? Honest question.. thinking about brushing the dust off

What do you mean by "milked dry"? If you mean they are broke, then hardly. That's when I started to actually do well because you were powerful enough to solo the lower level dungeons and farm for twink items.

Although it seems that in AL they are pushing everyone towards endgame since there are no "twink" dungeons, they just keep scaling them up to end game level.

DontNerfMeBro
12-28-2012, 06:39 AM
What do you mean by "milked dry"? If you mean they are broke, then hardly. That's when I started to actually do well because you were powerful enough to solo the lower level dungeons and farm for twink items.

Although it seems that in AL they are pushing everyone towards endgame since there are no "twink" dungeons, they just keep scaling them up to end game level.

Naw naw... I mean by level 60, you're not much of a "consumer".. In game or pocket.

Your last sentence is my worried sentiment :(

Energizeric
12-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Naw naw... I mean by level 60, you're not much of a "consumer".. In game or pocket.

Your last sentence is my worried sentiment :(

Not at all. That's when the fun really begins -- that is if you are a successful player. Early on there is not too much that separates the successful players from those not successful. But by level 50 or 60, those who are successful will have accumulated massive amounts of wealth, gear, and awsome stats. Those who did not will have trouble keeping up.

The most fun I had in PL was Level 70-71. It's when I became a merchant and made a nice fortune. This allowed me to get better gear, buy whatever I wanted, and it became more fun playing and less of a grind.

Astrocat
12-28-2012, 08:28 AM
wait for 3-4months

Nah lol.