PDA

View Full Version : Sorc skill lvling

lordJastafarr
12-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Can anyone tell me the 4 good skills i need for basic lvling and gettin rid of mobs quickly

Energizeric
12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
I have Fire, Lightning & Frost, and they are all good for getting rid of mobs quickly. My 4th skill is heal so that I don't spend a fortune on pots.

lordJastafarr
12-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Hmm i tried that set up but lacked aoe severly

Nightarcher
12-27-2012, 12:24 AM
For basic leveling, yeah definitely fireball and frost, and I would recommend gale force too. Either shield or lifegiver for the fourth is useful 'cause Sorcerers are pretty squishy. ;)

I personally use gale, fire, frost, and shield with 5/5 Int passive, even still at the level cap for farming elite 'n stuff.

(Note: most of what makes builds good is wisely choosing what to upgrade on the skills)

lordJastafarr
12-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Alright ill give it another go i just had a hard time gettin through early lvls thier verry mobby so i was thinking fireball gale timeshift and the lifegiver but some players say take lightnin instead of gale or timeshift but idk which to drop out lol i wish we had more slots..

ShadowGunX
12-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Alright ill give it another go i just had a hard time gettin through early lvls thier verry mobby so i was thinking fireball gale timeshift and the lifegiver but some players say take lightnin instead of gale or timeshift but idk which to drop out lol i wish we had more slots..

u either choose gale or timeshift. then u should hav lightning.
i hav 5skills
Fireball ; gale ; lightning ; lifegiver nd frostball.
i switch lightning to lifegiver when i do mob run. nd i use lightning instead of lifegiver in boss fight

lordJastafarr
12-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Ok i noticed frost is somewhat of an aoe and aoe dot if u have the skillpoint in it xD im still new so learning!

Energizeric
12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Lightning is not AoE, but it is the hardest hitting skill for one single target. It's very good on bosses, not good on mobs. If you're only concerned with mobs, then Gale Force is a good one, and so is clock.

Magiks
12-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Im using Fire, Gale and Time. It puts out a large amount of DMG on mobs for me. I'm also a full INT mage too though. For passive I have full INT and one point in DMG

Delirium
12-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Im using Fire, Gale and Time. It puts out a large amount of DMG on mobs for me. I'm also a full INT mage too though. For passive I have full INT and one point in DMG

^^^^^

This is the best leveling build.. all AoE (fire, gale, time + heal) for tomb runs.

For running normal zones + elites, I like a good mix of AoE and single target damage. Personally I think lightning is really dumb because mages have low critical rates so you hardly ever see that +250% damage on critical go off. I just drop gale for frost bolt (from the leveling build) because it's DoT stacks 4 times, so it actually does more DPS than lightning even when it criticals. That gives you my personal favorite all around build:

Skill [upgrades] (skill effects)
Fireball [1-2-3] (AoE, DoT, Knockdown)
Time [2-3-4] (AoE, DoT, Root)
Frost [2-3] (Amazing DoT when stacked 4x on single target, Root)
Heal [2-3-4] (+mana, heal)

Last 5 points into +5 Intelligence passive.

You can pull the heal upgrade that gives +10 hp regen for 10 seconds and put it somewhere else if you like, but I find it more useful than anything else for my group.

When attacking a boss, don't charge anything except for Time (for the DoT.. not mandatory since it's low, but every bit helps) and Heal, of course. You still get all the damage and DoT benefits from fireball and frost without charging them, so there is no point to do so on a boss.. just lowers your DPS. That way, you get DoT from fireball, frost (x4), time, AND the initial damage from all 3 (plus exploding clock) AND normal attacks in between. I still find myself pulling aggro from a lot of tanks (although I'm at 256 dps), but if you hold back just a tiny bit, it's not a problem with a good tank. Rogues usually steal it first anyways ;)

The build still gives you awesome AoE capabilities with fireball and time as well as one other really important thing for the battles leading up to the boss..

A lot of people don't realize is how awesome mages are at crowd control! With this build, every single skill can be used to control a mob. Between fireball's knockdown, time's root (full root with upgrade, such a great skill.. everything in your bubble gets stuck there!), and frostbolt's freeze, you can keep a mob down nearly 100% of the time and take no damage (with exception to ranged enemies). Whenever I farm Jarl with friends from my guild, as long as I lead to Jarl, nobody takes any damage at all until we pull Jarl. We run every zone (elites as well) all the time without a warrior because with two mages (all you really need is 1 good one), the enemies are literally knocked down/rooted/frozen 100% of the time. It's such a valuable tool if you learn the cooldown timings of this build.

There are, of course, specialized builds that are geared specifically for killing bosses (such as the fire light frost curse build). You typically won't ever need to use such builds unless you're going for leader board time records and your group is planned. Since it's ONLY for single target damage, you end up being pretty useless for everything up until the boss, and it's extremely mana intensive so you'll HAVE to use lots of potions.

meanakric
12-28-2012, 02:45 AM
^^^^^
Between fireball's knockdown, time's root (full root with upgrade, such a great skill..

Yes, for e.g. just put the clock tower covers green craters as soon as they dropped from the sky, dead end for the bones. Then walk few steps away, do this face to them -> :devilish: Blast with fireball, together with my pet~ I like the feeling.

Energizeric
12-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Personally I think lightning is really dumb because mages have low critical rates so you hardly ever see that +250% damage on critical go off.

Ribbit pet gives 40% crit proc that goes off quite often. I use him as my pet for my jarl runs, and usually land 3-4 critical hits during each run. I got frost too, but the lightning with critical hits causes more damage. On the other hand, I also got fire and it's pretty useless at the boss so I don't even bother using it as I'd rather just conserve mana, so I use frost, then lightning, then spam attack until frost cools down, then repeat, and throw in charged heal whenever it cools down to replenish health and mana.

Delirium
12-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Personal preference, I suppose.. I just don't see the point in having to lose all the benefits of a better pet just to have a CHANCE at proc'ing lightning's 250%. I suppose it could be worth it for Jarl runs since they are only a minute long.

As for fire being useless at boss.. that's not true at all. It does great initial damage, good DoT, and it doesn't need to be charged to get all of it's beneficial damage effects. I consider it a staple in any sorcerer build.

lordJastafarr
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Hehe well ty guys ill start lvling my mage now u guys helped alot.

Unknowable
12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Pet is a good way 2 have better stat ;-)

Unknowable
12-28-2012, 03:33 PM
^^^^^

This is the best leveling build.. all AoE (fire, gale, time + heal) for tomb runs.

For running normal zones + elites, I like a good mix of AoE and single target damage. Personally I think lightning is really dumb because mages have low critical rates so you hardly ever see that +250% damage on critical go off. I just drop gale for frost bolt (from the leveling build) because it's DoT stacks 4 times, so it actually does more DPS than lightning even when it criticals. That gives you my personal favorite all around build:

You can pull the heal upgrade that gives +10 hp regen for 10 seconds and put it somewhere else if you like, but I find it more useful than anything else for my group.

When attacking a boss, don't charge anything except for Time (for the DoT.. not mandatory since it's low, but every bit helps) and Heal, of course. You still get all the damage and DoT benefits from fireball and frost without charging them, so there is no point to do so on a boss.. just lowers your DPS. That way, you get DoT from fireball, frost (x4), time, AND the initial damage from all 3 (plus exploding clock) AND normal attacks in between. I still find myself pulling aggro from a lot of tanks (although I'm at 256 dps), but if you hold back just a tiny bit, it's not a problem with a good tank. Rogues usually steal it first anyways ;)

The build still gives you awesome AoE capabilities with fireball and time as well as one other really important thing for the battles leading up to the boss..

A lot of people don't realize is how awesome mages are at crowd control! With this build, every single skill can be used to control a mob. Between fireball's knockdown, time's root (full root with upgrade, such a great skill.. everything in your bubble gets stuck there!), and frostbolt's freeze, you can keep a mob down nearly 100% of the time and take no damage (with exception to ranged enemies). Whenever I farm Jarl with friends from my guild, as long as I lead to Jarl, nobody takes any damage at all until we pull Jarl. We run every zone (elites as well) all the time without a warrior because with two mages (all you really need is 1 good one), the enemies are literally knocked down/rooted/frozen 100% of the time. It's such a valuable tool if you learn the cooldown timings of this build.

There are, of course, specialized builds that are geared specifically for killing bosses (such as the fire light frost curse build). You typically won't ever need to use such builds unless you're going for leader board time records and your group is planned. Since it's ONLY for single target damage, you end up being pretty useless for everything up until the boss, and it's extremely mana intensive so you'll HAVE to use lots of potions.

i didn read everything but i agree with the ligthing because it only hit one and only good with boss but gale and fire is good 4 me because gale push them away and fire take lots of damage ;-)

XghostzX
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
^^^^^

These seem like wise words, thanks. And it's funny because I've been deciding if my build should be "upgraded", but I use the exact same skills as you do.

bkkiller2
01-03-2013, 10:49 AM
if you're using flamestrike and ur dps is high a **** , it's better not to charge your spells to deal more auto attacks '

my build :
3 - ice [ all upgrades except charge effects]
3 - fireball [ all upgrades except charge effects]
3 - lighting [ all upgrades except charge effects and the slain effect]
2 - heal [ health , mana for dungeons not elite]
4 - curse - [ except last skill]

the only skills i charge is heal and curse , cuz the heal is much stronger when charged and the 10% dmg reduction and 15% bonus dmg from curse is neccessery for elite.
this build is only useful to elite runs and works **** at dungeons like tomb cuz there is only 1 aoe skill
i dont really recommend this build but it's great for fast elite runs

moonway03
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Fire,wind,clock,heal
"nuff said" \m/

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

DontNerfMeBro
01-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Don't understand why more people don't use lightning. The 25% proc to spread lightning and +15% damage just incinerates things. Even when no proc occurs (chance or only 1 mob/boss) it still hits hard. All in all offering greater versatility than frost who's main claim is a stackable DOT.

Utilizing this heavy stack argument is ONLY of benefit in a boss. weaker any other time.

BadWolf
01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I use fire, wind, heal, and shield. not sure, might change shield for frost if free respecs come out, just to see which works best. if u use wind, make sure to upgrade it so it makes u go faster and in all directions. Also good to upgrade heal to increase mana.