PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good built?

Xuan Rui
12-27-2012, 06:44 AM
My current stats: 42 Strength,52 Dexterity,236 Intelligence,DPS:220.3,Armor 504.

Fireball 5/5,Time Shift 5/5,LifeGiver 5/5 and Arcane Shield 4/5.Added 1 point to passive strength by accident.

TheLowerLight
12-27-2012, 10:45 AM
if it works for you then its good.

ShadowGunX
12-27-2012, 12:26 PM
ur build is not effective in elite maps. drop arcane shield nd hav lighting instead.

Xuan Rui
12-28-2012, 03:06 AM
Well Shadow, you're wrong.To me,my build is rather effective in elite maps.Ive been running elite maps and i have no problem with it.I can tank hords surprisingly.

meanakric
12-28-2012, 03:22 AM
I haven't use Arcane shield before. Is it good? Recently I am thinking one of the way using it is 1. Switching on shield 2. Dash into mobs 3. Plant time bomb 4. Came out safely. How did you use this skill normally?

Does the shield give damage when knocking enemy off?

Sorry, I really have no idea about shield...

Energizeric
12-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Back when I was level 15 I tried the shield and found it not very effective. It felt like it added some armor, but I was still getting hit all the time, so maybe I could withstand an extra hit or two. At the time I switched it to gale force which I found way more effective when used charged. It just throws everyone back and is much better when trying to protect yourself from a mob, while also causing more damage.

Now that I've upgraded my gear to good armor, I respeced again and chose frost instead of gale. So now I got Fire (5/5), Lightning (3/5 - no charged upgrades), Frost (4/5), Heal (5/5) and 3 points in passives, although I've debated taking the range upgrade from heal and putting that into passives. Obviously it does nothing to help me, but it helps my group so I leave it. But it would be a liability in PvP or when I solo.

Lyonvastia
12-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Well Shadow, you're wrong.To me,my build is rather effective in elite maps.Ive been running elite maps and i have no problem with it.I can tank hords surprisingly.

well this might put you in a support role.. What Shadow might be saying is as a pure/fast damager, you need to put lightning to kill bosses fast.

Xuan Rui
12-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Okay.Thanks for the replies.

Unknowable
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM
remember your pets help your stat

DontNerfMeBro
12-29-2012, 02:24 AM

what exactly was your question?

Dragonik
12-29-2012, 08:48 AM
My current stats: 42 Strength,52 Dexterity,236 Intelligence,DPS:220.3,Armor 504.

Fireball 5/5,Time Shift 5/5,LifeGiver 5/5 and Arcane Shield 4/5.Added 1 point to passive strength by accident.

The answer to your question is no, bit seeing as how someone already told you that and you refuted his answer I don't think you actually want to hear the answer to your question.

1. You have way too many skill points invested in abilities and not enough in passive.

2. Your stats are decent. Seems you went pure int which was a good idea and your armor is high enough to take a couple hits.

3. Lifegiver imo is worthless. While yes it's nice and can be utilized to save you about 2 pots every 15 seconds, going 5/5 isn't the best idea. The CD on it is far too long to be the source of a reliable heal.

4. Timeshift is also completely useless. The DoT is lower than either frost or fire (from my previous testing) and the CD is ridiculously long. Mobs usually die long before the clock has time to utilize the explosion. Initial damage is nice but with the random touchdown points and shorter CDs on other abilities leave this on in the dust.

Crystalite
12-30-2012, 02:10 AM
what exactly was your question?

I think this is a very pertinent question: what would the OP like to do with his build?

IMO if you are going for a damage-oriented build for running elites, you might want to consider at the very least one other skill like either frost bolt, or lightning bolt. I believe primeva has a thread from some time ago concluding that frostbolt has a slightly higher dmg than lighting due to stackable DoTs, assuming you do not have insane amounts of crit, and in any case, these two spells are the strongest in the mage's arsenal, so do consider them. Fireball is a good choice as a third dps spell(after frostbolt and lightning), plus the knockdown is nice for the group before jarl, as well as some of the larger groups in tower.

I agree with previous comments on Time shift's cd being too long, and thus less effective in maxing damage. Arcane shield, while welcome as a survivability buff, can actually be replaced by a quick pot finger and good ping :) once you have enough hp/armor to avoid getting one-shotted. Lifegiver imo is entirely up to you and your teammates, and how much of a min/maximiser you are when it comes to making a damage build. Some rogues also absolutely demand mana recover, others are cool without it.

I think most players expect a sorc to be dps-oriented, but maybe you have alternative playstyles like support or even 'sub-tank'. i suppose it all comes down to how you play.