PDA

View Full Version : Healer/ Support mage?

Ozwald
12-28-2012, 01:02 PM
I've always played a healer or tank, The warrior has the tanking covered but is there a viable build for a "healer". I enjoy playing as a support class more than just face melting. Personally I find reward in allowing the dps to do what they do best hence my starting this thread. My questions are as follows.

1. Is the mage a viable contributor to a group as a "supporting role"?

2. Does the mages healing allow other classes to focus more on doing damage and not so much on self preservation?

3. What would a possible build look like as I have only really played my warrior up till now. (mage is lvl 9)

4.Should I seek psychiatric evaluation for having these thoughts of turning a face melting class into a robe wearing sandle toting vw microbus driving hippy healer?

Any and all input is appreciated, Keep in mind that this is an honest set of questions not some troll. I have always found the community to be any games strongest and best asset which is why I turned here first.

Thank you all for your time.

Nightarcher
12-28-2012, 01:48 PM
The developers have gone to extreme lengths to make sure Sorcerers do not end up as simply a support class in AL. They accomplished this by not giving them a revive spell, and by giving healing skills to all classes so parties wouldn't have to rely on one class as the "healer."

In PL there were so many problems with mages being yelled at to "heal me!" and "revive me!" and I am so glad we are our own class now. Sorces can support some, but they are so much more and are best utilized by going offensively most of the time. :)

Delirium
12-28-2012, 03:56 PM
What he said.

The sorcerer really only has one "support" spell, and it's cooldown is too long to really be useful in keeping others from using potions. For now, Sorcerer is DPS or bust!

Ozwald
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Thank you both for the reply that is a perfect answer to my questions. Having not played PL as extensively as i'd liked (i only discovered in in july) I had a very limited platform of knowledge. Well we can always hope for a healer class to be introduced in later xpansions ;D

DontNerfMeBro
12-29-2012, 02:44 AM
thx to OP for amusing, polite, and good question..

I'll take the other side for this one...

I think support is actually a great concept if you're undergeared. CC from gale knockdown, hit mitigation from fireball, and despite the lengthy cooldown from healing ability, when specced heavy, it's actually "giving" to your team for a good duration while cooling down. Not to mention the extra AOE perk for the heal that still allows personal mobility while healing half the map area.

The stuff above has a huge amount of utility and is NOT DPS reliant... did I even mention Time shifts root?

sounds like the epitimy of support when you can't afford the gear.

TheWeps
12-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Curse is the winner for Mages IMO, healing not so much especially within Elite zone.

DontNerfMeBro
12-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Curse is the winner for Mages IMO, healing not so much especially within Elite zone.

so you get a lot of use from curse outside of elite zones? or were you simply recommending a circumstantial swap?

ps: these questions are rhetorical

Ozwald
12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
thx to OP for amusing, polite, and good question..

I'll take the other side for this one...

I think support is actually a great concept if you're undergeared. CC from gale knockdown, hit mitigation from fireball, and despite the lengthy cooldown from healing ability, when specced heavy, it's actually "giving" to your team for a good duration while cooling down. Not to mention the extra AOE perk for the heal that still allows personal mobility while healing half the map area.

The stuff above has a huge amount of utility and is NOT DPS reliant... did I even mention Time shifts root?

sounds like the epitimy of support when you can't afford the gear.

Whole different take on it. I just have been looking for some more depth in the game and have always found healing to be the most fun. However there's a big difference in pally healing in WoW and sorc "healing" in AL lol. I tried this out last night though and even though i'm only lvl 16 now it was pretty fun in Hauntlet the rogues had a field day and the tank had no issues holding the mobs down. Even when our "tank" bailed mid run we cleared and got a coin with me and 2 rogues. I'm interested to see how it plays out at 21.