PDA

View Full Version : Damage vs. DPS

Reggin
12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed, but from a pure damage perspective (talking skill damage, not auto attack damage) the Bane Knives of Potency are actually the best weapons in the game. Wondering the viability of a build around that... they're actually quite cheap...

Yakiniku
12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Haha yea, there was actually a big convoluted thread about it in General. I have a set of 21 Bane Knives of Potency myself, but it seems you really need to be a skill spammer and pot chugger to make them effective. I'm guessing something like Aimed, Nox, SSS and Veil would make these blades viable.

But since I'm either a poor player (gold-wise) or maybe just a poor player in general lol, I'm still running around with stacked AS crit, DPS-oriented attacking and Lifethiefs in PvE, at least for now. PvP on the other hand... definitely planning to pull out the Bane Knives again. I've not played previous STS games, but PvP is usually all about the big alpha hit.

Solanu
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
My fav build is shadow piercer 3, aimed shot 5, veil 4 and razor daggers 3 and 5 in dex passive. Combine that with a few points in mana and the rest in dex, agile ranger dex int gear and bane knives of potency. The skill damage points are the most u can get and I find it very effective on normal pve mobs, very high dodge and serious hit power.

Only problem with it is its not the most effective boss killer as pierce uses a lot of mana and NOx. Bolt is better for boss killing. I have respecd ATM and am using lifethiefs and NOx bolt but I prefer the bane knives as its less button bashing and more tactics. Will probably change back once new levels are released.

Bless
12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Best if you use the search button next time there is already a discussion;)

Aeoros
12-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I feel ppl are confused when it comes to topics like this and there have been multiple topics about this already. From what I've seen, damage and DPS are inseparable, seeing that one is a component of the other. A better question would be Autoattacking vs. Skill Spamming

From what I can tell...

[DPS]=[ASPD]X[DMG]
[SKILL DMG]=[DMG]X[SKILL MULTIPLIER]

Therefore, slower weapons with higher damage may end up with a lower DPS, yet when skill spamming, the ASPD of the weap doesnt really come into effect and you end up with higher skill damage output.

To take this example to the extreme... Let's say we have a weapon with 999999 damage but takes like... 2 hours per swing... obviously won't be a very effective autoattack weapon, but sure as hell will be a good Skilling weapon.

But yeh, definitely wanna look into this more, especially if people have other data. Sometimes weapon scaling to what's shown on your skill page is off by a bit, not significant, but not small enough to be just rounding either.

Reggin
12-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Honestly in PvP, I think bows will reign supreme since they have high base damage (thus high skill damage) and a slower attack speed. The ranged setup and fact that charged hits can snare will make rogues kiting machines. I've already got a maxed twink rogue geared and ready for PvP. Level 15... figure that will be a popular bracket like in PL...

nicoB
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Well since eveey class has a effective heal skill. kitting wont help much

Reggin
01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Yes it will... kite until they run out of mana healing, then kite them to death...