PDA

View Full Version : Best helmet armor and weapon for pure tank?

Cronaldo777
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Any ideas? Tks

Takezaki
12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Mighty Berserker Set + Arctic Ward of Potency.

Cronaldo777
12-31-2012, 11:31 AM
How about mighty jug?

Reggin
12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
I'd say it's actually somewhat debatable on the helm, but the weapon is definitely right. After more and more testing, I'm leaning more towards trying to maximize dodge. I also like cheap, so I've decided to go with agile berserker set.

I'm sitting at 2900+ health, 900+ armor, and 11%+ dodge. While I know I could go for pure armor, in doing the math behind damage reduction from armor I believe my focus on dodge will grant a higher percentage of total damage reduction than I can get from armor alone.

The other great thing about dodge is that a dodged attack deals 0 damage so avoiding those big hits helps compared to having to heal through. I'm sure a case can be made for both sides, but I like the cheap option personally.

Hopefully pure tank gear will be itemized in the future, granting strength, dodge, and armor as the primary stats... That's ideal for tanking imho...

Cronaldo777
12-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Do u r saying that dodging is better than armor? U sure?

ShadowGunX
12-31-2012, 10:46 PM
its nt like sl to hav more dodge on warrior. u need more armour nd health.
the cheapest stuffs that can give u 900+ armour nd 3k hp r:
1) agile berserker helm cost 5k
2)storm warrior plat cost 10k
3)avalenche of will cost 10k
4)irong ring of fitness (epic ring)
5)any pendant granting str as well as armour
pet: snaggle.

Reggin
12-31-2012, 10:53 PM
No... not more important... but it's important and often over looked... armor and health should still be most important tank stats, but once you have a good base in both you may be able to itemize dex and dodge in for ring and necklace and get a better overall chance of reduced damage than using armor necklace and ring.

I've been using the 25 str 10 dex 1.9%+ dodge jewelry and I'm still over 900 armor but over 11% dodge. A pure armor tank could likely get to about 1050 armor, but has maybe 3% dodge. I'd have to do some testing, but I think 8% extra dodge may result in better damage avoidance than the 150 armor.

Based on a prior discussion, I believe 50 armor is about 2% damage reduction, so 150 armor is about 6%. The 8% dodge is less consistent, as armor reduces every shot by a small amount, but the dodge reduces the occasional shot to nothing.

Armor is definitely the better stat from a pure perspective, but once your armor and health allows you to survive elites relatively easily, I personally like grabbing as much dodge as I can to avoid the big shots every once in a while.

This is just theory crafting, but in practice I find it isn't far off... the dodge lets me survive things I normally couldn't, but I sometimes find myself taking more consistent damage.

Ultimately, go armor for guaranteed reduction, but likely less total reduction over a long period than dodge. However, if you have luck on your side dodge will reign supreme.

I also think that dodge will be better in pvp, as if the game is as bursty as other sts games a small reduction from losing 50% of your health in one shot to 45% isn't as useful as losing 0% of your health 8% more often.

Reggin
12-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Shadow... dodge is an important mechanic in any game where tanking exists... like I said, not more important than armor but once you get to 900 armor, if given the choice between 150 more armor or 8% more dodge I personally lean toward the dodge. Regardless of the game, a dodged attack deals no damage. So if a tank had 100% dodge, they take 100% less damage.

Especially if the game evolves to the point where elite bosses will even one shot a warrior tank if they don't have shield or jugg active, the value of a dodge tank would rise. Armor is still first priority... but once you hit a certain point it is worth exploring the mathematical options that might work better...

Cronaldo777
01-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks peeps. Any ideas how to get Arctic ward of potency?Cant seem to find high level ones in AH?Hey reggin does dodge work for u in elite maps?

Reggin
01-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Level 20 ones were all over the CS the other day... I think 21s too... unless someone caught on to these actually being the best warrior weapon and bought them all to hoard them and set a new price via manipulation...

Dodge works just fine in elite areas... I dodge about 11% of all things coming my way...

Cronaldo777
01-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh ok thanks reggin. What's CS? So I guess I have to rely on drops from the elite golden chest ||?

Szangheili
01-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I agre with reggin, I'm using his build as of now and seems to work really well. My dodge isn't as high as his somehow, gonna have to fix that ASAP. And as far as the "best" pet for warriors, I have 3 top ones. My overall best/effective pet would be Flapjack, die tomthe fact that he's giving us +8 Mana and Health Regen making him the most effective in PvE because when using the skills in dungeons, I noticed that the bar goes from 100% to 70-75% really quick, and when using Flapjack, it regains itself really quickly. Unless you want to spend cash on Mana potions, I suggest that every warrior reading this gets the,selves a flapjack either through the CS or by platinum. (The way I did it :D)
List of "best pets":
1. Flapjack
2. snaggletooth
3. Ribbit
4. Cerella (Weird but true, the +60 Armor comes in handy)
5. Rocky

Cronaldo777
01-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Why is there a need for mana when u have vengeful blood 5/5?

Zampler
01-02-2013, 12:46 AM
ehem...pure tank warrior?

Takezaki
01-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Why is there a need for mana when u have vengeful blood 5/5?

There is none.

Cronaldo777
01-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Arctic ward of potency or frost sword n shield set better for pure tank?

Szangheili
01-02-2013, 04:10 AM

Sword and shield, raises the armor.

Reggin
01-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I personally rank the pets for my style Nexus, Flap Jack, and Snaggletooth. Rather than Cerella, I'd go Koko if you want the armor boost.

Ashanto
01-03-2013, 01:11 PM

What is Frost sword and shield? Th eonly sword and board that I know of in game at 21 is Arctic?

crestmage
01-03-2013, 10:30 PM
its nt like sl to hav more dodge on warrior. u need more armour nd health.
the cheapest stuffs that can give u 900+ armour nd 3k hp r:
1) agile berserker helm cost 5k
2)storm warrior plat cost 10k
3)avalenche of will cost 10k
4)irong ring of fitness (epic ring)
5)any pendant granting str as well as armour
pet: snaggle.

On the contrary, warriors (bears) in PL rely on tons lots of dodge. Why shouldn't it be the same in AL?