PDA

View Full Version : Opening Chests does Not Affect Drop Rates

Samhayne
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Just to help dispel rumors - whether or not you open chests does not affect boss or monster drop rates.

drewcapu
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
in AL only?

I could swear it's true in SL!!!

;)

Rare
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
FINALLy!!! The rumors can stop!

Mrsberry
01-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks Sam!
Might take a while for it to catch on.

Jcyee
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Lol what? Just opening in general? I've never heard anything about this :/

Siejo
01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Just to help dispel rumors - whether or not you open chests does not affect boss or monster drop rates.

I'm sure this applies to SL too right? You don't know how many people still say it does.

Carapace
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
as a gamer myself, I definitely form my own superstitions surroundings loot drops in various games so I can understand the idea behind the rumors. As Sam has said, this one is not true!

Reggin
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
What about the balance your phone on one finger while opening chests to get better lewt? That one still works, right? It cost me a couple GS3s so far, but those 3 pink coppers are worth it!

wvhills
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
but mages still can't use shield on keeper in PL right?

Goria
01-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Lol, heard about this today in AL. Players ragged about me, because I was opening a simple chest on an elite map. They should look at this. Thanks, Sam!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

Steverd
01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
If someone says 'don't open the chest'. I like to run right over and open it!!!
Then I say read the forums!! I want to say it's ALWAYS a lvl 20 player.

Siejo
01-02-2013, 06:12 PM

That rumor was squashed a long time ago too. He still uses his own shield regardless if the Mage does or not.

DataPunk
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Any word on pets not dropping and being bugged? No ofcourse not since people are wasting plat on them.

Bless
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM

That rumor was squashed a long time ago too. He still uses his own shield regardless if the Mage does or not. he was joking lol siejo

GoodSyntax
01-02-2013, 06:27 PM
That rumor was squashed a long time ago too. He still uses his own shield regardless if the Mage does or not.

Squashed? I got yelled at by some noob just the other day for it when I came with my lv 71 to help a guildie. I told him it was a rumor and he of course booted me.

So funny, someone with 1500 kills telling someone 20 levels higher with 50000+ more kills how the game should be played.

Still get a kick out of the rumor though...

Rawrimafish
01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
when a rumor ends, a new rumor begins sometime after

KillaSkillz
01-02-2013, 07:34 PM
All I know is last night running elite tower I opened no chests, I let others open and I made my pet gather the loot.
4 runs like that back to back and I got an elite banded golden chest each time. I did not get one elite banded golden chest when I opened a chest or collected loot with my toon. For me the superstition is real, and I encourage anyone else to open chests! ;)

Reggin
01-02-2013, 07:48 PM
To anyone who has a superstition, look this up... RNG... this is all!

smeagolette
01-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Exactly!

Asahetek
01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
It gets annoying today people kept repeating it over and over, either way im having no luck at all during this update

wvhills
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Keeper steals my birds shield all the time. :(

math83
01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Please do some announcement in game saying that, when i open chest a lot leave game or say crappy thing

DontNerfMeBro
01-04-2013, 06:35 AM

have to lol here.

Never said anything but since it's been brought up....

It's like this little itch in the back of my brain that periodically manifests enough for me to scratch; believing in a conspiracy that manipulates the standard looting parameters.

For example: someone who spends lots of platinum has drop rate reduced. many reasons for this possibility.

and Sam. Stop reading my emails and my mind... and stop trying to convince my dog to kill me. We've already discussed your treachery with the cat.

math83
01-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Bump!

TheStoic
01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Someone calls me an idiot when I opened a chest,lol, and to his disappointment I got an elite banded golden at the end. Loser!

Shadowskills
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes all the Noobs should read this before shouting nonsense. It ticks me off to the bone. I want to slap the truth into them so they can reflect and not call people "Idiot" or "stupid" whenever we open chest in tower.

Seriously. But i guess only 10% of them will get this message in the end as most noobs don't read forums.

Sympathetic
01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Lol you should put a announcement whenever a player enter tower it says "opening chest does not affect drop rates idiots" XD

KillaSkillz
01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Been running tower most of the day today. It's a saturday. Seriously almost every game gas a person saying "no chests" I am at the point I am going to become unpleasant with them, since they become unpleasant with me. I have gone offline 4 times today because I really don't need the frustration and harrassment from these fools in this community. sigh. Should be a week long message on the play screen so these dummies get a clue and stop harrassing people.

Asahetek
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Still going on had few guild and pub runs say dont open chests and few days ago half the party left because a chest was opened.

xcainnblecterx
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Dont they know it only affects their drop rates if they open silly rabbits

Asahetek
01-06-2013, 08:24 PM
The loot rate is just that bad ive only gotten 2 pink from tower one from arcaneum grounds and one from another map.

Fyrce
01-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Haha, I am SUCH a noob for opening chests! At least that's what I still hear, from Elite types, of course. Cause I'm such a noob!

Rare
01-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Haha, I am SUCH a noob for opening chests! At least that's what I still hear, from Elite types, of course. Cause I'm such a noob!

You are such a noob Fyrce!! Opening chests actually enhances your drop rate!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Asahetek
01-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Sigh this rumors still going arround, one run someone in party said no chests and when one was opened they called them an idio. Serioulsy enough its annoying.

Astrocat
01-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Someone insulted me horribly today, for opening 1 single chest in tower. I said, ''dude, it's a rumor, even a developer said it''. He was like ''you're a newbie you don't know anything it works noob''. This happens a lot, I just want to boot these guys. :emmersed:

BoomBox
01-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Ive ran into several of em ha, so annoying -.-

Asahetek
01-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Yeah even after i explained it they made some dumb joke about whatever. I wish we could boot but its mainly during pub runs for me.

BoomBox
01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
I fully agree!

Cashews
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Still seems to happen in about half the runs lol. But hey, the foolish man speaks his mind while the wise man stays silent and laughs at the fool screwing himself over. The way I see it, if these newbs don't want to open chests they don't have to. Every drop they miss because of it drives prices up and helps me make money because I do open the chests.

Rare
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Still seems to happen in about half the runs lol. But hey, the foolish man speaks his mind while the wise man stays silent and laughs at the fool screwing himself over. The way I see it, if these newbs don't want to open chests they don't have to. Every drop they miss because of it drives prices up and helps me make money because I do open the chests.

Well... i don't think anything worthwhile is coming out of those chests anyway.

I generally don't open them anyway because its wasting my time. But for some reason when someone says "Don'T open chests" I am compelled to do it. Its an uncontrollable urge. I can't fight it.

Uzii
01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Well... i don't think anything worthwhile is coming out of those chests anyway.

I generally don't open them anyway because its wasting my time. But for some reason when someone says "Don'T open chests" I am compelled to do it. Its an uncontrollable urge. I can't fight it.

Haha i do that too then say uups... :D

Fyrce
01-27-2013, 04:08 AM
LOL I'd say this the most persistent myth in Elite Tower of Mardrom -- don't open the chests!!
I think maybe I'm starting an ignore morons List.

SuRfY
01-27-2013, 04:57 AM
From my perspective although i do open chests, i come up with a thinking. For people not to open chests, its with the loot reroll elixir in the equation. Because its only 25% and is similar to the PROC in weapons, it does not happen all the time. So rather than opening the chest and activating the 25% loot reroll chance which is totally random, they wanna save it for the loot reroll chance on the boss. Which sounds logical to me. So opening chests does not affect drops rates but it will affect the person with loot reroll elixir to "activate" the loot reroll chance automatically if he/she is within range of the opening of chests. He/she is hoping that the 25% chance happen on the boss instead of some chest which is wasted. Its like rerolling on a chest before the boss and on the boss, it does not reroll because it has just been rerolled. lol. Totally random but I can understand the logic. :)

Rare
01-27-2013, 09:55 AM
From my perspective although i do open chests, i come up with a thinking. For people not to open chests, its with the loot reroll elixir in the equation. Because its only 25% and is similar to the PROC in weapons, it does not happen all the time. So rather than opening the chest and activating the 25% loot reroll chance which is totally random, they wanna save it for the loot reroll chance on the boss. Which sounds logical to me. So opening chests does not affect drops rates but it will affect the person with loot reroll elixir to "activate" the loot reroll chance automatically if he/she is within range of the opening of chests. He/she is hoping that the 25% chance happen on the boss instead of some chest which is wasted. Its like rerolling on a chest before the boss and on the boss, it does not reroll because it has just been rerolled. lol. Totally random but I can understand the logic. :)

You do realize though that that isn't any logic in that? I'm not saying people don't think this way...but it isn't any better than thinking loot is dependent on chests being opened or not.

SuRfY
01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
You do realize though that that isn't any logic in that? I'm not saying people don't think this way...but it isn't any better than thinking loot is dependent on chests being opened or not.

Well, there is logic. It's like playing Russian Roulette in 2 scenarios. First scenario is player vs boss drops, second scenario is player vs boss drops vs chest drops.

Rare
01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, there is logic. It's like playing Russian Roulette in 2 scenarios. First scenario is player vs boss drops, second scenario is player vs boss drops vs chest drops.

Problem is, the logic isn't the same as Russian roulette. To make it the same, you would have to load and spin the cylinder every time. Because each drop is completely unrelated to the last and the probability is the same for each. Whereas with RR there are a finite number of shots and the probability of a live round is totally based on the last shot.

SuRfY
01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Problem is, the logic isn't the same as Russian roulette. To make it the same, you would have to load and spin the cylinder every time. Because each drop is completely unrelated to the last and the probability is the same for each.

That is only if the loot reroll elixir is not in the equation.

Rare
01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
That is only if the loot reroll elixir is not in the equation.

I think you are mistaken. The lot reroll elixir gives you a percentage chance to reroll for loot. It is the same percentage for every drop and is not related to the last drop.

For example, first drop I have a 25% chance to reroll. Second drop I have the same chance regardless whether or not I rerolled on the previous drop or not.

To say it a different way, you are not guaranteed that 25% of your drops will be rerolls. But that each drop has a 25% chance to reroll.

SuRfY
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
I think you are mistaken. The lot reroll elixir gives you a percentage chance to reroll for loot. It is the same percentage for every drop and is not related to the last drop.

For example, first drop I have a 25% chance to reroll. Second drop I have the same chance regardless whether or not I rerolled on the previous drop or not.

To say it a different way, you are not guaranteed that 25% of your drops will be rerolls. But that each drop has a 25% chance to reroll.

First 2 lines are straightforward. The last line is the point. That being not guaranteed doesn't mean it's a zero percent chance of it not happening. It's like taking a subset of a subset. This is getting so interesting. :)

Mrsberry
01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Reroll is just like drops its randome put at a percent. Opening chests wouldnt effect ether.

Rare
01-27-2013, 06:33 PM
First 2 lines are straightforward. The last line is the point. That being not guaranteed doesn't mean it's a zero percent chance of it not happening. It's like taking a subset of a subset. This is getting so interesting. :)

I don't understand what you're saying. What is not a zero percent chance? What that last line means is that possibly rerolling on a chest has no affect on whether you reroll at the boss.

Nerola
01-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Problem is, there isn't a true random number generator. Second of all, those who are freaking out on reloot roll is infected by gambler's fallacy, where one believes the chance of succeeding increases as failures increase. And people will always be superstitious. Even if you have the devs come out and say otherwise, there will always be naysayers who think they know better.

Rare
01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Problem is, there isn't a true random number generator. Second of all, those who are freaking out on reloot roll is infected by gambler's fallacy, where one believes the chance of succeeding increases as failures increase. And people will always be superstitious. Even if you have the devs come out and say otherwise, there will always be naysayers who think they know better.

I agree. Luckily, it doesn't have to be a true rng. It only had to appear to be one. From our perspective, it is.

But yes, I think in every game people think there is some kind of method to getting better loot

BoomBox
01-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Its just redicilious how much people freak out about it, I was playing yesterday and I was at the forest and someone freaked cause I opened a chest lol then wentt off on me lol, I just lauged and told him to read the forums, since dev has confirmed lol

Asahetek
01-27-2013, 07:24 PM
It is kina ridiclous how people freak out over this, the pink rate is horrendous ive only gotten maybe 5+ from the new elite maps.

BoomBox
01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Ive gotten a couple but spending most my time pvp

Fyrce
01-28-2013, 05:01 AM
It's amazing how powerful people think computers are. They actually think that devs would write a program that keeps track of each action in a long list, then using that to calculate a non-random number. I'm impressed by the computers these people are imagining. Such complications.

Rollo
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
So reroll doesn't work on chests then? If it does then yes, opening chests affect drop rates.

Rare
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
So reroll doesn't work on chests then? If it does then yes, opening chests affect drop rates.

Reroll works on chests I believe. But, no, It doesn't affect drops rates from bosses. I think you are confused about how the luck elixir works.

As I mentioned in comment 48... the reroll chance (25% for example) is your chance to reroll on EVERY loot drop. It does not mean 25% of your drops will reroll. It means each drop has a 25% chance to reroll. So theoretically, you can have 100% of your drops reroll... or you could have 0%. But one drop does not affect the outcome of another drop.

Sky../
01-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Dude even if you re-rolled 10x in a row, you still have the same 25% chance to re-roll on your 11th drop.

I don't understand why these people can't seem to understand that.

[Sisu]Craphe
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
It gets annoying today people kept repeating it over and over, either way im having no luck at all during this update
...truth...

Valsacar
01-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Dude even if you re-rolled 10x in a row, you still have the same 25% chance to re-roll on your 11th drop.

I don't understand why these people can't seem to understand that.

They were sleeping in statistics class.

Zaonabiuibil
01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
But if you kill the boss and THEN go back and open the chests, the chests contain special Elite items, right?!

-------------------
Sent using spray paint on the city walls.

Valsacar
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
No no, it makes your drops super great on the next boss run, but only if you run Staab in between.

Majikul
01-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Sick of repating myself to people needs to have a Tip on a loading screen telling people not to be afraid of the Chests. The rudeness of people in this game is astounding as well... but oh well.

Mrsberry
01-30-2013, 03:26 AM
When your using a luck elixer and you kill a boss or open a chest and you reroll that item that drops from that chest/boss will turn into a rarer item example if drop was originaly white it rerolls to green, green into purple, purple into pink. The reroll work on the item you get at that moment not the one after or befor. Its a 25% chance to reroll on every chest,mob,and boss does not change if you have opened a chest at any time on the run. Just like drops are random so is rerolling.

Jed
01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
When people tell me not to open chests or whatever I just say "no" and make a point of opening every chest possible.

Vystirch
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
When people tell me not to open chests or whatever I just say "no" and make a point of opening every chest possible.

Same, funny I havnt been told though.....

Aeroflame
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Dear complainers.

I make more from the chest than all of you combined, every 2 days.

sincerely
AirStar

Vystirch
01-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Dear complainers.

I make more from the chest than all of you combined, every 2 days.

sincerely
AirStar

Well said!

Prack
01-30-2013, 05:11 PM
this was the worst rumor ever