PDA

View Full Version : PvP Theory Crafting

Reggin
01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Wanted to start a thread to start the discussion on possible PvP builds so we can start to think things through since it will be coming soon.

First thing, while I'm very vocal about tanks not focusing on damage, I'll be the first to say that PvP is a different story altogether.

Here are my initial thoughts on a PvP build:

Skyward Smash - The ability to jump towards enemies who will likely be kiting you and have a chance at stunning them seems like an absolute must.

Vengeful Blood - Massive damage and crit boost along with no need for seeking gear with int due to essentially having infinite mana makes this a no brainer... the added heal is just the icing on the cake.

Axe Throw - The potential stun, armor reduction, and ability to pull kiting players into range while reducing their armor seems quite enticing.

Horn of Renew - Having a reliable strong heal in a damage build is nice and the ability to completely shield yourself sounds great for both killing and flag running.

That's what I'm currently thinking I'd use, but there are some other skills that definitely make me somewhat annoyed I can't have as well. Figure I'll share my thoughts on those as well.

Chest Splitter - Interrupting a heavy charged attack and potentially disorienting them sounds kind of nice and the short cooldown isn't too bad either. Unfortunately, this one comes down to replacing either SS or AT and I can't warrant giving up stuns and mobility aspects.

Windmill - Also mildly enticing due to the snare aspect and damage output. However, for the same reasons I can't imagine putting it ahead of the other damage skills. The inability to use other skills or auto attack is also a drawback.

Juggernaut - The damage reduction and removal of movement impairing effects is nice, but the long cooldown ruins this for PvP even for flag running. With mage snares and roots on such a short cooldown, they would just redo the impairment. Now if it made you immune to being slowed down for the full 15 seconds it might need a second thought. However, I'd likely just SS to them or AT them to me instead.

War Horn - Another skill I'd like to have, but simply can't warrant putting over something else. The dodge and movement buffs would certainly be nice in PvP, and reduced damage never hurts. However, I can't imagine it being more useful than HoR since buffed heals from HoR are so useful and the shield is phenomenal.

Well those are my initial thoughts... let the discussion begin!

Wizard_Mike
01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Since PvP will be capture the flag, I'm wondering if a pure survivor build will be viable for running flags.

Juggernaut for the damage reduction and to get out of movement imparing effects. Rally Cry for more defense and a speed boost (plus it shares the buffs with your team, meaning they can keep up with you to help, rather than you just sprinting ahead). Horn for the obvious benefits. Then pump the rest into the speed and STR passives. I'm not really sure what the exact point distribution would look like, because we'll have more points due to the level cap increase and we don't know how the skills will be adjusted/change yet.

You won't be able to kill anyone with this build, but you should be quite difficult to stop. The whole purpose with this build is to get the flag and take it where it needs to go. No fighting, just flag running.

I've never played PvP in an STS game, so I'm sitting on the assumption that their version of capture the flag will be like the ones I've seen in other games, where you get the flag from the enemy's base and carry it back to your own to win. If that's not how it works, then this build idea would be pretty useless, lol.

ShadowGunX
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
my build will b rally cry juggernaut horn of renew nd hammer.
rally cry to boost speed nd dodge mainly nd jug to give additional dmg deduction nd to remove abnormal stats (slow ,stunt, freeze, etc)

Bless
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Since PvP will be capture the flag, I'm wondering if a pure survivor build will be viable for running flags.

Juggernaut for the damage reduction and to get out of movement imparing effects. Rally Cry for more defense and a speed boost (plus it shares the buffs with your team, meaning they can keep up with you to help, rather than you just sprinting ahead). Horn for the obvious benefits. Then pump the rest into the speed and STR passives. I'm not really sure what the exact point distribution would look like, because we'll have more points due to the level cap increase and we don't know how the skills will be adjusted/change yet.

You won't be able to kill anyone with this build, but you should be quite difficult to stop. The whole purpose with this build is to get the flag and take it where it needs to go. No fighting, just flag running.

I've never played PvP in an STS game, so I'm sitting on the assumption that their version of capture the flag will be like the ones I've seen in other games, where you get the flag from the enemy's base and carry it back to your own to win. If that's not how it works, then this build idea would be pretty useless, lol. pvp is not onlt ctf, you can 3v3 or 5v5 or even more/less.

Ctf in sts games is the normal ctf, like u said. Id say this build if for only ctf otherwise in an arena, the war that uses this build will be murdered.

Wizard_Mike
01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
pvp is not onlt ctf, you can 3v3 or 5v5 or even more/less.
Ah, cool. Good to know, and looking more forward to the PvP update now. :)

Id say this build if for only ctf otherwise in an arena, the war that uses this build will be murdered.
Yeah, I kinda said the same thing in my post, lol. :p

Szangheili
01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I think I should start creating my rogue really soon... Just to get ready for the PvP cap. My tank is totally not stepping into PvP, lol. He's simply going to stay a PvE tank..

Ashanto
01-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Gonna go survivor tank for CTF and finish my Rogue for 3v3/5v5. A war might be viable for the group crowd control skills and healing but not for DPS. A war can chain for 8-10 secs all types of stuns and snares followed by damage immunity and a healing dot.

A war teamed with 2 rogues might be an amazing team. group 25% dodge, group shield, group healing dot, group root/stun, , group snares, group speed boost, group knockback, and pull could be deal makers in 3v3. Cooldowns on a couple are short enough to chain.

Mages, who need range, would be screwed by a war pulling and lunging with stun/interrupt

Wizard_Mike
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
group 25% dodge, group shield, group healing dot, group root/stun, , group snares, group speed boost, group knockback, and pull

Yeah, loving the warrior for this kind of stuff! I'm not a huger PvPer, but I do enjoy it here and there when I'm not focused on other goals. When I started AL, I wanted a character for group support, so I went tank. I really don't care about killing stuff, so much as being the guy that's keeping everyone else alive so they can kill stuff. Looks like I'll be able to fill that role in PvP, as well, which is cool.

At least it looks good on paper, lol. We'll have to see how well a support warrior will play once PvP actually goes live.

I've never played PvP in any other STS games. Maybe some of you STS veterans can comment on how it's gone in the past. Is STS PvP the type where kills come fast, like 1-2 shot kills, or will players be able to soak up enough damage so fights last more than a few seconds? Either way is fun, and they each have their own strategies, but I always prefer longer fights because you have more chance to change strategies on the fly, as well as more room for error.

Also, how many are on the maps at once? I've seen 3v3 and 5v5 mentioned for arenas. Is it same options for CTF?

Ozwald
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
As a former WoW player I loved pvp. Arenas and BG's were always a blast however they provided unique gear and rewards for pvp can anyone shed some light for me on how pvp works? Obviously you find someone on the other team and kill them but is there "honor" rewards or does STS track KD ratio? I'm looking forward to this more than xmas morning!!!

crestmage
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Hoping dearly that pvp in AL won't be the same as in PL where players rage and challenge each other to 1v1 fights...

crestmage
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
As a former WoW player I loved pvp. Arenas and BG's were always a blast however they provided unique gear and rewards for pvp can anyone shed some light for me on how pvp works? Obviously you find someone on the other team and kill them but is there "honor" rewards or does STS track KD ratio? I'm looking forward to this more than xmas morning!!!

On experience from other STS titles, Pvp is mostly about getting a postive K/D ratio. There is a leader boards for the Kills and Deaths amounts. There are no rewards, however. Maybe AL pvp will have some new stuff implemented in it :) Will have to wait and see.

Kenoon
01-04-2013, 04:58 AM
My views and build as mentioned in your post when you first started about the elite tanking topic..
Except that Windmill doesn't root but snare/slows enemies.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?80846-Ugg-s-Pure-Elite-Tank-Build&p=910510&viewfull=1#post910510

kirkho
01-04-2013, 05:54 AM
I must mention that Juggernaut is use for nearly dead and get the "undead" status for 15 sec