PDA

View Full Version : Charged vs. Non charged

Bigmakms
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Now i know some attacks are worth charging, but I'm pretty sure we all know not to charge our auto attacks. But which attacks do you all charge?

primaeva
01-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Best to post this in the class forums for specifics. In general, charged skills increase damage done and number of targets afflicted, abducted could extend buff/debuff duration as well. Some of these effects require a skill point.

From a damage perspective, sometimes rogues and mages (with flamestrike) are better of not charging aa you sacrifice autoattacks to charge a spell. Warriors lose out less as their weapon swing times are slower anyway.

Bless
01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Never charge a rogue auto. Hitting atuo 2 times dishes out 2x more damage than charging.

spiderpig
01-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Why is auto called auto when uou still need to press it?

Rare
01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Never charge a rogue auto. Hitting atuo 2 times dishes out 2x more damage than charging.

Charging a rogue attack provide AOE damage. You think those two swings are going to provide more damage over multiple mobs?

That's not even taking into account that Lifethiefs heal you with a charged attack.

Bows are a different story.

Bless
01-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Charging a rogue attack provide AOE damage. You think those two swings are going to provide more damage over multiple mobs?

That's not even taking into account that Lifethiefs heal you with a charged attack.

Bows are a different story. Yeah? Try that in an elite mob and you will see why not charging is better.

Rare
01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah? Try that in an elite mob and you will see why not charging is better.

Well... for the record. I have been doing it. Haven't had any problems. What problems have you been having?

Also, as a side note, I don't think there was any mention specifically about elite maps.

Bless
01-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah? Try that in an elite mob and you will see why not charging is better.

Well... for the record. I have been doing it. Haven't had any problems. What problems have you been having?

Also, as a side note, I don't think there was any mention specifically about elite maps. Try it =) u will see a slightly more damage difference. I think mobs will kill u by the time u charge 2 autos.

I hit the auto attack button atleast 3 times a second. Charging auto is around 2 seconds. By the time I charge two autos, I would have hit it atleast 6-7 times.

Oh well it depends on the playstyle..

Rare
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Try it =) u will see a slightly more damage difference. I think mobs will kill u by the time u charge 2 autos.

I hit the auto attack button atleast 3 times a second. Charging auto is around 2 seconds. By the time I charge two autos, I would have hit it atleast 6-7 times.

Oh well it depends on the playstyle..

You can press auto as fast as you want. its not going to hit every time you do. Your number of attacks and damage are limited by your DPS. So you can attack 5000 times a second, but your damage is limited.

Like I said. I have been doing it. If you're in a group of elite mobs, whether you are attacking or charging, you are still going to die without a good party. So I'm not sure how that makes a difference.

All I'm saying is you said:

Never charge a rogue auto...

There are clearly situations where charging is better. For example... 4 or 5 mobs that are almost dead can all be taken out by one charged attack. Or 4 or 5 normal attacks. You choose. I used charged attacks in Tombs all the time with great success.

Wizard_Mike
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Charged normal attack will deal AoE damage and has a small chance to stun. If you can hit 3 or more enemies with a charged attack (because they are grouped up together), then it's best to go with charged.

Also, if you're a tank trying to hold aggro, charged will definitely be better against multiple targets.

Wizard_Mike
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Why is auto called auto when uou still need to press it?

It's just a habit folks picked up from previous games. Whenever you see "auto", just think "normal" or "basic".

Bless
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
At the end of the day, it all comes down to your playstyle. Whether u play in elites, solo, lb etc.

Charged and uncharged are useful in diff situations.

csyui
01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
@Aedenos
Bless is right, you are wrong, over.

Bless
01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
@Aedenos
Bless is right, you are wrong, over. didnt know u had a forum acc, will pm u about something.

Rare
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
@Aedenos

Oh... now that you said it, it MUST be true!

Oh... and btw... he agreed with me. So I'm not sure what to say about your post lol

Royce
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
@Aedenos

Except that he isn't. There are no weapons in this game capable of 3 attacks per second, no matter how many times you press the attack button, and charging an attack does not take nearly 2 seconds. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either about which method is superior, but that guys numbers are clearly false.

Rare
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Let me just clarify, I never said either was superior. I only responded to Bless that said "never charge rogue auto". certainly when its a single boss, charging is pretty much pointless.

Bless
01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Except that he isn't. There are no weapons in this game capable of 3 attacks per second, no matter how many times you press the attack button, and charging an attack does not take nearly 2 seconds. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either about which method is superior, but that guys numbers are clearly false. Ehehehehe I may have exaggerated on the charged attack 2sec thing, but Yes i can do 3 attacks per second I tested it too bad I cant screen record.

Heartseekers easily go to 3. Havent tested lifethief.

Dragonik
01-03-2013, 11:44 AM
As s mage for bosses charging anything lowers dps, but as Aedenos was saying I charge my auto attack when dealing with 5+ mobs. Reason being is I usually have aggro and this gives me time to kite, couple w with the stun occasionally brought by charged AA and increased damage and larger AoE effected.

This strategy I normally use in hauntlet, watchers, tombs, and against piggies in towers. Spam attack suffices 90% of thettime.

Yakiniku
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Not to be nitpicky, but Cosmo's weapon speed data (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?80770-Hidden-Weapon-Attack-speed) says that three attacks per second is pretty much impossible.

Anyway, I charge for the stun. Good for rogues and warriors who want to avoid some initial damage from a big group of mobs. Sorcs, eh I dunno. I never really bothered using charged normal attack as a sorc.

Bless
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Not to be nitpicky, but Cosmo's weapon speed data (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?80770-Hidden-Weapon-Attack-speed) says that three attacks per second is pretty much impossible.

Anyway, I charge for the stun. Good for rogues and warriors who want to avoid some initial damage from a big group of mobs. Sorcs, eh I dunno. I never really bothered using charged normal attack as a sorc. im not in any way trying to sound rude but his calculations may be wrong, how are heartseekers and lifethiefs the same attack speed? Heartseeker is faster than lifethief.

Yakiniku
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
*shrug*

I guess we could ask him where he gets his numbers. I'm pretty sure it involves some method of data mining and not just testing every weapon in all of AL personally. Manually testing to the tenth of a second would be unreliable due to latency, mobile hardware capability, etc.

I've had a couple of sets of Heartseekers drops out of chests, but never saw this supposed faster speed that they have. I'll admit though that I never really test them for long. I try to get them into the CS while people are still buying them.

You can get L21 Mighty Heartseekers for 1K right now on CS, but to be honest I don't really want to buy them because I won't be able to get rid of them. :p

Bless
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
*shrug*

I guess we could ask him where he gets his numbers. I'm pretty sure it involves some method of data mining and not just testing every weapon in all of AL personally. Manually testing to the tenth of a second would be unreliable due to latency, mobile hardware capability, etc.

I've had a couple of sets of Heartseekers drops out of chests, but never saw this supposed faster speed that they have. I'll admit though that I never really test them for long. I try to get them into the CS while people are still buying them.

You can get L21 Mighty Heartseekers for 1K right now on CS, but to be honest I don't really want to buy them because I won't be able to get rid of them. :p i tried it and yes heartseekers are slightly faster when charged, you cant really notice the difference in uncharged but its still slightly faster.

Vystirch
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh... now that you said it, it MUST be true!

Oh... and btw... he agreed with me. So I'm not sure what to say about your post lol

Charging is good in particular places and times, as you mentioned but I must say that normal hit has a higher damage output. There is one major difference between the two attacks.

Charged: always hits 3 target, it has a wide splash to be able to find 3 targets.
Auto: this hits ALL targets in the direction of the slash.

This is proven by a series of field tests in watchers and elite. To do this test you must have the net power without the damage over time and with the pull ability. When you pull a mob of about 10-15 targets and charge a lifethief you only damage 3 targets. When you auto hit at this group in the net you hit them all. This is my experiences with this.

Lifethief also hits at about 2 per second.

csyui
01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Charging is good in particular places and times, as you mentioned but I must say that normal hit has a higher damage output. There is one major difference between the two attacks.

Charged: always hits 3 target, it has a wide splash to be able to find 3 targets.

This is proven by a series of field tests in watchers and elite. To do this test you must have the net power without the damage over time and with the pull ability. When you pull a mob of about 10-15 targets and charge a lifethief you only damage 3 targets. When you auto hit at this group in the net you hit them all. This is my experiences with this.

Thanks for vys's explanation. I am too lazy to leave such long comment.:calm:
@Aedenos Try test it yourself, you will find which is better.

Rare
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

you are saying tapping attack does AOE damage??? Or are you saying only when you use the net?? I'm confused by what you are saying.

Edit: So I tried this out. Indeed, the charged attack only hits 3 mobs. Occasionally a normal attack will hit multiple mobs in front of you. So... in the case that there is a group of mobs in front of you or you use the net, landing a cone attack is better. On the other hand, if you are surrounded by mobs the AOE of the charge attack would be better. Also, the normal attack doesn't always hit multiple targets. In a number of tests with the same number of mobs (5 mobs at a time), it actually didn't make much difference time wise whether I used charged or uncharged attacks.

I am using Bane Knives of Potency. However, with lifetheif is also the proc which is an added benefit.

Royce
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
im not in any way trying to sound rude but his calculations may be wrong, how are heartseekers and lifethiefs the same attack speed? Heartseeker is faster than lifethief.

Damage tells you your damage per attack and DPS tells you your damage per second so it is pretty simple to figure out attacks per second or weapon speed. If anyone is actually managing 3 attacks per second, it's a bug, either the weapon is attacking faster than it should or the DPS or damage stats are incorrect.

Bless
01-03-2013, 01:42 PM
the DPS or damage stats are incorrect. This is the case in some weapons - and not only am I reporting it, ive seen other threads too.

csyui
01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Oh this has so much potential for some back and forth. Why don't you try it out and find which is better?

As I said several times, I already have.

You are so funny. Thx for your 'real' try.

Rare
01-03-2013, 01:53 PM
You are so funny. Thx for your 'real' try.

See my "test" above.

Vystirch
01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
you are saying tapping attack does AOE damage??? Or are you saying only when you use the net?? I'm confused by what you are saying.

Edit: So I tried this out. Indeed, the charged attack only hits 3 mobs. Occasionally a normal attack will hit multiple mobs in front of you. So... in the case that there is a group of mobs in front of you or you use the net, landing a cone attack is better. On the other hand, if you are surrounded by mobs the AOE of the charge attack would be better. Also, the normal attack doesn't always hit multiple targets. In a number of tests with the same number of mobs (5 mobs at a time), it actually didn't make much difference time wise whether I used charged or uncharged attacks.

I am using Bane Knives of Potency. However, with lifetheif is also the proc which is an added benefit.

Yes I'm saying normal attack seems to be a cone attack.

Jcyee
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I basically charge all my skills but not my "auto" attack. Charging "auto" attacks actually take longer to charge than skills do, at least on warriors. Is that how it is on rogues and sorcerers?

Bless
01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I basically charge all my skills but not my "auto" attack. Charging "auto" attacks actually take longer to charge than skills do, at least on warriors. Is that how it is on rogues and sorcerers? depends on the weapon, but yes rogues and mages are fastee

dmspker
01-03-2013, 03:12 PM
First rogue rule: Charge auto attack , when you face 3 or more monsters at once. Second rogue rule: Charge aim shot at boss , whenever you can , and use normal hits while it has cooldown

Vystirch
01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
First rogue rule: Charge auto attack , when you face 3 or more monsters at once. Second rogue rule: Charge aim shot at boss , whenever you can , and use normal hits while it has cooldown

2nd rule is correct, first is disputable.