PDA

View Full Version : Crazy auction fee

ArcanePlayz
01-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I got a Demonlord Helm of Will Level21. The lowest price was like 1.2M (this was a while ago). So i put it in for 1M. The fee to put it in Auction was 50k. I think the fee is a bit too high, what do you guys think?

Limsi
01-04-2013, 07:00 AM
It's to prevent the market inflation. I guess it's not that bad, so I suggest you just spend more time selling it through chat :) good day!

moonway03
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Cheaper acution fee = item flood

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Raxin
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
:-)

GoodSyntax
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
That's a big risk to list then. I mean, if you lose 10% because your first listing didn't close and you had to relist....yikes!

This is exactly the reason why I give away most of my low/mid range pinks - it's not worth paying the listing fee when I would only net a few hundred in profit. Just sayin...

grunt226
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I agree that the non refundable listing fee is ridiculous... sts please make it refundable if the item expires due to non purchase... if you manually cancel the auction or sell them the fees should stick... it's almost makes selling high priced items on cs completely fruitless. Additionally forces people to dramatically under cut market value for fear of slowing being bankrupt by cs fees.

Jcyee
01-04-2013, 05:00 PM
I generally try not to list anything of that price in the auction because of the fee. Try selling it in towns or here on the forums if the fee is a concern to you.

Energizeric
01-04-2013, 07:09 PM
If the fee is refundable you will see prices of gear go way up as nobody will ever undercut but just list their stuff really high, since there's no downside of the item not selling. In PL the fee is much lower, and even there you see folks selling crazy expensive gear way overpriced (like Demonic items), since they figure they don't care if it sells or not since the fee is so tiny. Nobody should be putting items in the CS unless they are serious about selling them, and therefore the fee structure is good. Yes, it makes merching more difficult, but in PL merching became way too easy.

grunt226
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
If the fee is refundable you will see prices of gear go way up as nobody will ever undercut but just list their stuff really high, since there's no downside of the item not selling. In PL the fee is much lower, and even there you see folks selling crazy expensive gear way overpriced (like Demonic items), since they figure they don't care if it sells or not since the fee is so tiny. Nobody should be putting items in the CS unless they are serious about selling them, and therefore the fee structure is good. Yes, it makes merching more difficult, but in PL merching became way too easy.

Good point, perhaps they can compromise and at least adjust the fee a little, either way, the fee is a bit outrageous, I'm sure they can find a middle ground.

But even selling over trade is still dictated by the cs. If people are still undercutting like mad, the value of said item well still be reduced... I don't think there is any reason a particular item should be fluctuating 100s of thousands of gold up and down every few days... and due to the current state of commerce in-game it, in my opinion, creates far too much volatility. There should be occasional spikes due to demand and gradual depreciation over time.

Ultimately it doesn't matter and gold is pretty easy to come by (for me at least) but as a whole it seems as though most are UN pleased with its current state. I personally would like to know what a specific item is actually worth, unfortunately, that number various dramatically depending on to many factors.

Energizeric
01-05-2013, 06:28 AM
The volatility is due to the items being somewhat new. In PL I noticed that in the first 4 weeks after a new campaign, item prices were still changing constantly as demand is very high but starting to drop as more people get their gear, and then a couple of weeks before the new campaign items drop as people start selling off their gear in anticipation of the new gear coming soon. The period in between those two periods is when prices are usually somewhat stable. The problem is that in AL we got new campaigns coming every 6 weeks, so there is no in between period. However, that will slow down after level 35/36 campaign from what I have read. So for the next few months prices are going to fluctuate on new gear. On older gear, like level15/16 stuff, prices are probably pretty steady by now.

Thulf
01-05-2013, 07:42 AM
I think prices would be a tad more stable as well, if you did not have to pay the auction fee UPFRONT. So people try to sell as fast as possible since you loose money if it doesn't sell.

TheStoic
01-05-2013, 08:17 AM

and a market crash too!

Patricks
01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Theres nothing wrong.

These are just Cinco's Loco Listing Fees!

grunt226
01-05-2013, 10:40 PM

and a market crash too!

Not true, they're are many mmorpgs that don't have insane auction fees and will return auction costs if items don't sell... and you can set your clock on their economy. They are consistent and dependable, unlike AL which is completely volatile. I've played almost every mmo there is and have always played the markets and this game has by far the worst system, hands down.

moonway03
01-06-2013, 05:30 AM
Not true, they're are many mmorpgs that don't have insane auction fees and will return auction costs if items don't sell... and you can set your clock on their economy. They are consistent and dependable, unlike AL which is completely volatile. I've played almost every mmo there is and have always played the markets and this game has by far the worst system, hands down.

U have your opinion and i got mine.

Nuff said.

grunt226
01-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Absolutely correct, my opinions are based on my experiences, as is the case with yours. if you have insight that could benefit this discussion, then I would love an anecdote.

I engage in these type of discussions, not to prove I am right... even if I am right, guaranteed there is more there that I do not understand and that it's why I am here. Right or wrong, there is much for me to learn in every facet of life, reality or virtual. So, if you would, give me an example of a game where low auction fees caused flooding to the market and subsequently crashed the economy.

Thanks in advance for the insight.

U have your opinion and i got mine.

Nuff said.

nicoB
01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I say the fee is fine the way it is and shouldnt be changed. its reslly not that bad and it keeps people in line

grunt226
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I say the fee is fine the way it is and shouldnt be changed. its reslly not that bad and it keeps people in line

If it didn't cause people to completely sink item value then I would agree. The issue is that people don't want to list a million dollar item for 50k and then loose out on 50k when it didn't sell, so what people do is list that item for 900k then the next does 800k so on and so forth... I've watched items like pit sword of potency and demonlord plate of will drop a million gold in 8 hours. People say to use chat to sell and I do that for higher prices items now for the most part, but your asking price still needs to be better than cs... so even if you don't use the cs, you are still tied to the system because cs sets market value. Like I've said in the past, this system creates an extremely volatile system and most every mmo out there does not follow the same auction protocols and their economies thrive, are predictable and don't raise nearly the same level of discontent that ALs system does.

Fluctuations in any market are expected, but an item fluctuating 500k-1mil over an 8 hour period is quite ludicrous.

Energizeric
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
If it didn't cause people to completely sink item value then I would agree. The issue is that people don't want to list a million dollar item for 50k and then loose out on 50k when it didn't sell, so what people do is list that item for 900k then the next does 800k so on and so forth... I've watched items like pit sword of potency and demonlord plate of will drop a million gold in 8 hours. People say to use chat to sell and I do that for higher prices items now for the most part, but your asking price still needs to be better than cs... so even if you don't use the cs, you are still tied to the system because cs sets market value. Like I've said in the past, this system creates an extremely volatile system and most every mmo out there does not follow the same auction protocols and their economies thrive, are predictable and don't raise nearly the same level of discontent that ALs system does.

Fluctuations in any market are expected, but an item fluctuating 500k-1mil over an 8 hour period is quite ludicrous.

What you are describing is items for which there is too large a supply and not enough buyers who want or can afford them. This pattern happens regardless of the listing fees. In Pocket Legends the listing fee is only 1% (instead of 5%) of the item price, and this still happens there too.

Item prices only stabilize once the items have been around for a while (3+ months). Prices on new items are always inflated and then drop very quick. Yes, if you don't charge a listing fee at all, or a very tiny one, then people will just keep listing at high prices, but that won't make the items sell for that much, they will just sit there in the Auction House for sale.

grunt226
01-07-2013, 03:20 AM
^^^^

I don't believe there is to much supply and to little demand, there are constantly people asking in game and out for demonlord gear and comparable weapons. The issue is that they buyers know that these get under cut dramatically and therefore expect to get this great for what they saw it a few days prior... and since the regulatory of under cutting is high they have precedent to wait it out. Now if these items had a more stable worth, then those who are on the fence wouldn't not be thinking that this 1 or 2 million gold piece of gear could drop by 50% in a day or two then they would be more likely to buy it at the higher price, not only because they know they won't do much better than +/- 10% but also because they would be confident that the resell value would still be in acceptable in a few weeks time. The primary issue with the correct market is volatility, there is no confidence that a buyer can purchase anything knowing that the same item may go for half the price the following morning.

Markets are primarily based on supply and demand and consumer confidence... and I very much disbelieve that there is an abundance of elite demonlord gear and weapons, based on the inquiries received when listing them. The reason they are so cheaper now is because of the manner in which they are sold and the current system in place. Based on the practices observed, these won't settle in any price until the most expensive piece can be had for no more that a few hundred k, at which point everything sub elite will be practically worthless.

I guess our only reprieve from this constant downward spiral is that supposedly sts will be doing lvl cap increase every 6 weeks, so we can expect a couple weeks of a consistent profitability window and then hang tight until the next cap increase.

It just is annoying for me, because the in game markets and economy is usually a very enjoyable facet of mmos for me, they are usually predictable and hold similar characteristics as a real world economy (limited and minute obviously) but this economy is completely rogue... this is my first pocket mmo, so those of you who have been playing sts games since inception may be use to it and I imagine I will soon enough as well, so I am trying to keep things in perspective. But mainly I'm just surprised that so many think that 50% undercutting is standard and acceptable.

Energizeric
01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Actually, I will disagree with you 100%. I think lower listing fees will cause the items to drop faster in price. In PL if there are 5 of an item listed in CS for 100-150k, and someone new lists for 95k, then some of the higher ones will pull their listings and relist for 90k, and then 80k, and so on... and sometimes everyone just keeps ending their auctions and lowering their price. Because with such a low listing fee, you don't lose much by having to pay for a new listing.

In AL the listing fee is high enough where nobody is going to pull their auction and relist just to undercut someone. And it works at keeping prices higher. To begin with, it's only a few hundred gold to list an item for 3 days instead of 12 hours. So anyone who lists an expensive item for 12 hours is just wasting gold. And with a 3 day listing, there is no reason that your item must sell quick. And often times I've seen my listings get undercut by several sellers, but then when I log in the next day mine sold, which means all the ones cheaper than mine sold too. So have some patience.

The reason for the falling prices has nothing to do with the listing fee. It has to do with the fact that none of the items in AL are very rare. So far the drop rates for premium pinks are high enough where nothing is going to be worth 1m+. Yes, they start high because everyone is excited about new gear coming out and some don't mind overpaying. But once prices settle they are going to be much lower.

nicoB
01-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Actually, I will disagree with you 100%. I think lower listing fees will cause the items to drop faster in price. In PL if there are 5 of an item listed in CS for 100-150k, and someone new lists for 95k, then some of the higher ones will pull their listings and relist for 90k, and then 80k, and so on... and sometimes everyone just keeps ending their auctions and lowering their price. Because with such a low listing fee, you don't lose much by having to pay for a new listing.

In AL the listing fee is high enough where nobody is going to pull their auction and relist just to undercut someone. And it works at keeping prices higher. To begin with, it's only a few hundred gold to list an item for 3 days instead of 12 hours. So anyone who lists an expensive item for 12 hours is just wasting gold. And with a 3 day listing, there is no reason that your item must sell quick. And often times I've seen my listings get undercut by several sellers, but then when I log in the next day mine sold, which means all the ones cheaper than mine sold too. So have some patience.

The reason for the falling prices has nothing to do with the listing fee. It has to do with the fact that none of the items in AL are very rare. So far the drop rates for premium pinks are high enough where nothing is going to be worth 1m+. Yes, they start high because everyone is excited about new gear coming out and some don't mind overpaying. But once prices settle they are going to be much lower.

i agree100%. premium pinks in AL are very easily obtained compared to other sts titles. in SL a pink item is nearly impossible to get without a 50% or 100% re-roll so it makes swnce why items i priced high. I also belive that peopl are brining old habbits other sts games into AL because prices are highly inflated for how easy it is to get