PDA

View Full Version : Str bird.

Ellyidol
09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi guys,

I recently tried it for a bit (level 35) and it was quite good, you could still use blast shot with a melee weapon and it deals quite a lot of damage, it has two good screams, mp/hp heal, dodge buff, and crit/hit buff.

What are your comments on this? Since I rarely see this type of bird.

And what are the good gears for a lvl 45 one? :)

I'm thinking of str bird since dex birds ARE useful in dps, but a warrior/mage can replace it anytime with better group roles, so a str bird should still do dps and can tank too. I could be wrong, need to know what you guys think.

Wbto-Angeluscustos
09-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I think its alright but I personally like the mage/ warrior deal up in there lol :) message me and we can chat futher :)

InGameSupport/
Wbto

Ellyidol
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
But for me a bird is my only near 45 character :P

Royce
09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Str birds are decent, and used to even be pretty good in PvP. Since stat-based skills were added, they are less desirable (They didn't get weaker, but Dex birds got much stronger). I have one that is a full-time hammer bird, and it works very effectively in PvE. Obviously you want to go just enough Str to equip the best gear, and put the rest in Dex. For gear, I'd recommend a hammer :D but if that's not your thing, get a Djinn spear (or shock lance if you can get one). Use 1 Thoth item, and the rest Isis (assuming you have meditation).

Ellyidol
09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I should read that stat-based skills thread. I've been hearing about it but never fully understand what it means. Yeah, I'm looking more for PvE anyway, not really much of a fan of PvP yet.

Isn't a hammer 2 handed? Yeah looking more for a spear + shield combo. I'm assuming Thoth means m/s regen right? What does isis do?

Royce
09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Basically with stat based skills, as they currently work, most archer skills become more powerful as you add points to Dex.

The reason for the hammer is that, as a non-bear melee character, your biggest issue IMO is a lack of stun abilities. A hammer lets a bird be an awesome complement to a real tank, and even allows a hammer bird to tank on its own with good support. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with going spear(or trident at your level)/shield. Thoth is mana regen, a bit of crit, and an Int bonus. Isis is high dodge, health regen, and a bit of extra armor.

Ellyidol
09-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I see. True though that compared to a warrior there isn't much stunning. Alright will try that when I'm capped. :) btw just a quick off topic question, how much is an alien blaster of horus?

Btw, there is no some sort of database to look at all weapons/shields/armors etc isnt there?

Royce
09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Btw, there is no some sort of database to look at all weapons/shields/armors etc isnt there?

There is a wiki, but it has very little data currently (few items entered). Hopefully it will take off at some point. There's a link in a sticky thread in General Discussion. As for the blaster, it depends on the level (43 or 45), and I honestly am not sure what horus goes for these days, blaster prices are falling. You could post a price check thread in the Traders Market to get some ideas.

Ellyidol
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks very much Royce!

Ellyidol
09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Just tried this build, 45 Str bird with 142 str and the rest into dex, better in a way vs a normal archer that he can do more dps, screams are more useful, a bit more survivability, but not much tanking capabilities as a melee. Still would prefer a str enchantress.

Royce
09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Just tried this build, 45 Str bird with 142 str and the rest into dex, better in a way vs a normal archer that he can do more dps, screams are more useful, a bit more survivability, but not much tanking capabilities as a melee. Still would prefer a str enchantress.

I actually tank much better with my Str bird than with my paladin. The extra health, and screams gives decent survivability, evasion can get me through bosses usually, and the hammer keeps my direct target from hitting back very often. Paladins are the lowest health, lowest armor, lowest dodge melee characters, and despite having mana shield and BOV, I find I can stay toe to toe much longer with a Str bird (granted in a party with no healer or a poor one, the paladin will likely do better with heal ;) ).

Ellyidol
09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
That one scream though, the red bird scream (I forgot the name), does it do -35% damage or 35 damage? Cause I've noticed it do damage when I use it instead of the -35% damage. I do think that you can tank better with a str bird, though a paladin has more aoe/heal though right? Evasion is good indeed, but if it does get through, the lesser djinns can bring me to about 2/3 in one hit, and if they chain hit it can hurt quite a bit. =/

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a shock lance of legend, myanas thoth/isis armor and pharaoah shield of legend.

Royce
09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Which scream are you referring to (both are red I believe). Avian Scream is supposed to do damage. I have never noticed Shattering Scream do damage (It's just meant to be a debuff), though I've heard people mention seeing it do damage in low levels, so I really don't know what's going on there. I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong. Though I still recommend a hammer ;) , I can't imagine that makes or breaks a Str bird. You gear setup sounds fine. What is your skill build?

Ellyidol
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Shattering scream, sorry. Also correction, it says damage reduction -30, so does that mean it deals 30 less damage? Yeah it does damage to low levels from what I've seen.

I haven't gotten a good hammer yet and I have the lance which made me go lance-shield. I just changed my set up a bit using a scarab buckler of horus now for added armor and dodge.

Skill build is the standard 5 restore, 5 h/s, 5 m/s, 5 blast shot, 5 evade, 5 avian scream, 5 shattering scream, 5 break armor, 4 thorn wall (im not sure with this but I think it does AoE hold?)

I can tank decently, just overrated tanking to not dying at all I guess. I still see warriors going down to the same boss that I do so it should be fine :D