PDA

View Full Version : Good sportsmanship

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I would like to come up with a sense of what is and what is not sporting in this game. So please, post your ideas. Don't spend too much time arguing down others ideas. Just say what you think is sporting versus what you think is not sporting.

I will start with the idea of taking overpowered characters into low level maps. I think it is bad sportsmanship. We can farm Plasma with level 45s, why not farm Quick Love with level 19s? Why not farm Bayou Brawl with level 35s? That is sporting, in my opinion. As a general rule, I farm with a character who is the same level as the items that drop. I have tried it with overpowered characters and I think it's a drag. If I did that every day, I would quit playing after a week! :)

Arterra
09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
frozen. nightmare. vyxarr. sometimes you got to.

anyways, i say booting anyone not specifically 45 is wrong. even if running, a lvl 43 is ok enough, as long as he/she can use skills.

Chickdigcookies
09-21-2010, 10:32 AM
I hate carrying people through dungeons...unless youre a friend, ill pot, but if not, ill leave.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
So you are saying that power levelling unsportsmanlike? Yeah, I agree, if the player is out of the fair span of levels for that map. But if they are power levelling in maps for their right level, I think that's fair play.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
frozen. nightmare. vyxarr. sometimes you got to.

anyways, i say booting anyone not specifically 45 is wrong. even if running, a lvl 43 is ok enough, as long as he/she can use skills.

Yes, the Vyxnaar issue needs to be discussed. If the right level for the player is the level of the items that drop, why is there a Vyxnaar crypt?????? Are the devs encouraging people to farm with overpowered characters? If so, why? It's hard to understand.

But Frozen Nightmares can be played by level 30s with elite gear, I think...

Chickdigcookies
09-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes, the Vyxnaar issue needs to be discussed. If the right level for the player is the level of the items that drop, why is there a Vyxnaar crypt?????? Are the devs encouraging people to farm with overpowered characters? If so, why? It's hard to understand.

But Frozen Nightmares can be played by level 30s with elite gear, I think...

IMHO, the answer is as simple as..."here go do something while we make AO3" same with the Nightmare Dungeon.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
IMHO, the answer is as simple as..."here go do something while we make AO3" same with the Nightmare Dungeon.

I really hope that is not the case. It would not sit right with me at all. But if it turns out to be true, well, I guess I will just have to accept it.

Chickdigcookies
09-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Think about it..., its Elite, and only lvl 45s, bored 45s, can manage...

yeah.

Arterra
09-21-2010, 02:00 PM
wait... lvl 30's can do it with elite gear on... how do you get this elite gear exactly...? lool

Mala
09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I dont think it's bad sportsmanship for level capped players to farm in lesser dungeons. That's pretty ridiculous. I am not going to create a char for every dungeon I feel like farming. That's a waste of my time and plat.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
See, I just don't think that's very sporting.

FluffNStuff
09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
The whole idea of twinking is to use higher level characters to farm better gear for you lower level characters. So I am not sure what the issue is.

vulgarstrike
09-21-2010, 03:16 PM
um yeah I think its fine.
I don't understand how that's bad sportsmanship.
this is a one sided team vs enemy game.
sure, it's unspoets,alike for a major leaguer to play in the little league, but it's nit unsportmanlike for a professional golfer to play with amateurs.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I really think that using a character of a higher level than the loot drops is too easy, and not very sporting.

Clearly, the easy way, the short cut, the garden path, is what people DO. But why is that OK? Do they lack some basic sense of fair play? Why don't the mechanics of this game encourage people to strive? Why is it all handed to you on a silver platter?

Basically, I got booted from a level 30 map when I was level 30, and the ones in there were level 45. In my book, they are not very sporting. Why is it allowed? Why don't we all just power level then go back and stomp on every flea in our paths? Why is that OK? I do not get it.

Chickdigcookies
09-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I dont think it's bad sportsmanship for level capped players to farm in lesser dungeons. That's pretty ridiculous. I am not going to create a char for every dungeon I feel like farming. That's a waste of my time and plat.

hmm

l2readplz.

Mala
09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
It's not fair to limit content that has already been purchased for level capped players. Most people are not made of money so aside from purchasing dungeons now we are going to have to pay for extra character slots so that we may play for what we already paid for to begin with. Now, that isnt good business ethic which is far more important than any opinion in sportsmanship.

Im also sorry to hear that you got booted however you CAN host your own game and invite other friends near your lvl. In addition to that, before joining a game you are able to view the highest lvl player in that game. So, if you are against this then why are you joining a dungeon with a lvl capped player? That, doesnt make any sense to me at all.

BTW I was farming for my own Warhammer of Legend with my Lvl 45. It didnt come on a silver platter. It was extremely difficult and I had to be very very patient and dedicated. I strived for my goal and it was a very rewarding experience. It literally lasted weeks and countless hours of gameplay. I wanted to EARN it, not pay for one and that I did.

Gaabob
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
I think what they need to do is make exp and drop rates level influenced. The closer to the level of the map, and the drops in it, the higher amount of exp you get for each kill, and the higher drop rate for each kill. Maybe make it a little higher for the level of the player-map, then make it lower for players way higher. Like so:

-No drop rate
-
-Players not within 5-10? Levels of map
-
-Current drop/exp rate
-
-Players at level of map

-Drop rate/ exp rate at infinite.

Or something like that.

FluffNStuff
09-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I really think that using a character of a higher level than the loot drops is too easy, and not very sporting.

Clearly, the easy way, the short cut, the garden path, is what people DO. But why is that OK? Do they lack some basic sense of fair play? Why don't the mechanics of this game encourage people to strive? Why is it all handed to you on a silver platter?

This to me becomes an issue with the Mynas Generation. Why do I like to take my level 45 into lower dungeons and blast the crop outta mobs? Because I feel like I earned the right to do so, and that makes it fun. I leveled my characters the proper way. I have been chased around the board by Meathead, got 1 hit by dead eyes in fathom, learned quick that going too deep into the caves of LE right away is a one way ticket back to start of the level, and dealt with the pain of not having enough gold to buy mana and health pots to get through the original Swamps. And now that I have done so with three characters, I think I should be able to own in some lower level maps every now and then. But the power leveled characters that breezed through leveling, and now breeze through early maps farming? Why bother buying the game in the first place?

Wbto-Angeluscustos
09-21-2010, 04:04 PM
chickdigcookies.. we chatted a while gack how you doing.. sorry about not playing or adding you.. my parents are still keeping it i was supposed to get it back today.. but they said another week stupid i know but yeah.. hopefully soon

InGameSupport/
Wbto

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
It's not fair to limit content that has already been purchased for level capped players. Most people are not made of money so aside from purchasing dungeons now we are going to have to pay for extra character slots so that we may play for what we already paid for to begin with. Now, that isnt good business ethic which is far more important than any opinion in sportsmanship.

For the price of one pack of cigarettes, or two cups of coffee, or two gallons of gas, or gee I can think of A LOT, you could get 6 more characters. It's all about what you value.

BTW I was farming for my own Warhammer of Legend with my Lvl 45. It didnt come on a silver platter. It was extremely difficult and I had to be very very patient and dedicated. I strived for my goal and it was a very rewarding experience. It literally lasted weeks and countless hours of gameplay. I wanted to EARN it, not pay for one and that I did.

Hey! Congrats! That sounds great. All I'm saying is, are you sure it wouldn't have been more sporting to do it with a level 25 XP-frozen character, than to go in there all Isis and Thoth buffed and run past all the mobs just to kill one boss and start over? I've done it. It's kind of boring to me. I am levelling one for Fathom at the moment, who I will XP-freeze. I hope to get a War Hammer, too. Anyway, congrats.

I am not judging you, or anyone. Please don't read it wrong. I am talking about in an ideal world, what is fair play and what it good sportmanship?

Wbto-Angeluscustos
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
NIce:)

InGameSupport/
Wbto

vulgarstrike
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
NIce:)

InGameSupport/
Wbto

useless post is useless.

and I think I can do what I want, cuz frankly they are my characters and I earned that right.
as asommers says, make your own game.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Vulgarstrike, I am not judging you, man. I am only saying that there's a lot of unsportmanlike stuff going down, and it seems to be OK. If we are to determine our own sense of values and fair play, then I want to lay it out in the open and talk about it. That's all.

Snakespeare
09-21-2010, 06:55 PM
wait... lvl 30's can do it with elite gear on... how do you get this elite gear exactly...? lool

Which really is a question I need answered. Is it true that you can ONLY get these items for you level 30 twinks by farming with your level 45? If so, what's the point? How is that elite?

Now, my level 30 does not have elite gear, yet. I will answer more in time.

Raxie
09-21-2010, 07:12 PM
i was also sick of having no trouble using a level 45 to farm pinks so this is why i decided to create Raxie. it's more of a challenge and currently Raxie is level 8, doing all the quests and is going to stop at level 34.

Mala
09-22-2010, 06:58 AM
You seem to not understand my point. Let me an attempt in making my self clearer to you...

I do not care if it cost 1 penny to create a new character. I should NOT have to waste any money at all in playing something i have ALREADY paid for. That is not good business ethic.

Again, host your own game or join a game with players around your level.

Why did you join a game with a level capped player to begin with? Especially if you are against this, sounds hypocritical .

Snakespeare
09-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Fair play is not "whatever I want". It is something bigger than that. Like it or not, this is the drum I am banging, and it needs to be banged. It comes from wanting fairness. Don't you want fairness? We have to be fair individually to make it fair for all.

SlipperyJim
09-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Fair play is not "whatever I want". It is something bigger than that. Like it or not, this is the drum I am banging, and it needs to be banged. It comes from wanting fairness. Don't you want fairness? We have to be fair individually to make it fair for all.
You need to define your terms. How exactly is it "unfair" for me to stomp around Balefort Castle collecting tomes with my lvl 35 enchantress? The mobs aren't challenging enough for me? Well, that is true ... but the mobs weren't very challenging when I was climbing up to my current levels. (Except for the original Swamps. Those crocs were pretty tough.) Honestly, Pocket Legends isn't a very hard game.

I agree with what some of the other people have said: If you're bothered by lvl 45s running through lower-level dungeons, then don't play with them. Host your own games.

There's also another "fairness" issue that you don't seem to have noticed. I paid for all of those level packs: Dark Forest, Balefort Castle, Fathom Crypts, etcetera. Now there are quests and new content for those levels. Why should I not be allowed to go back and enjoy that new content? Why should I be barred from those quests? Yes, I could make new characters to do so ... but I don't want to do that.

If I want to take my powered-up characters back into Fathom Crypts to smack around Dead Eyes a few times, who am I hurting? Dead Eyes? He's an NPC. You? You don't have to play with me. Who else am I hurting?

Snakespeare
09-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Why are people taking this personally? "You don't have to play with me". Gee.

Look that's not the problem. The problem is, if you go in there with a level 45 and rush past the level 14s and storm the bosses, and then leave. That's totally uncool. Or, if you start a map for level 30s with a level 45 and boot the level 30s when they come in.

Sure, my suggested solution may not be the right one, and good arguments have been raised to it, but why take it personally. Feeling guilty, or what?

SlipperyJim
09-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Why are people taking this personally? "You don't have to play with me". Gee.
Well, it's sorta implied by your arguments. Why are you bothered by higher-level characters in lower-level maps? If you're not playing with them, then they shouldn't bother you at all. Therefore, the simplest suggestion is: You don't have to play with higher-level characters.

Look that's not the problem. The problem is, if you go in there with a level 45 and rush past the level 14s and storm the bosses, and then leave. That's totally uncool. Or, if you start a map for level 30s with a level 45 and boot the level 30s when they come in.
Why is it a problem for a higher-level character to rush the bosses in a lower-level map? Once again, I must suggest to you: If you don't like it, don't play with higher-level characters. You can have your very own map to yourself.

Actually, I agree with you about the uncool behavior of the booters ... but that's not limited to high-level characters booting lower-level folks. I get booted by all sorts of people. A few of them give me a reason, but most don't bother to do so. Such behavior is simply rude, and the respective character levels don't really matter.

Sure, my suggested solution may not be the right one, and good arguments have been raised to it, but why take it personally. Feeling guilty, or what?
You haven't really answered any of those arguments, you know....

I'm not taking it personally. I don't even know you. I definitely don't feel guilty. Anyway, my feelings really aren't the issue here.

Let's focus on the main point:
What exactly is "unfair" about higher-level characters running through lower-level maps?
How exactly does this behavior hurt you (or anyone else)?

Snakespeare
09-22-2010, 04:17 PM
I have 3 level 45 characters. I play with other level 45s with those characters. It is not a problem. When I play in low level maps, I use a low level character. Anything else would not be sporting, in my opinion.

-----------

And now, days later, and I do not want to start this up again, but I see they gave me the last word, so I will speak it.

Since I made this post after I was booted from the only game running in LE because they wanted a level 45, the game has changed. Now there is a base camp and public lose expedition maps where I can't be booted. This is much better!

Bit I can tell you one thing, and I am not bragging. I am a better tank at level 30 xp frozen than any of the level 45 str bears currently running around in lost expedition. That is the real mistake those bullies made. They assumed that my skill was based on my level, and any power leveled noob would seem better to them than an experienced player who sets his level cap to the level of the loot. And that is why they fail!

And that is why I think they lack utterly in sportsmanship. They care naught for talent or skill. They judge superficially. And above all, they need to learn that they are guests in the low levels, and start acting with a little more respect for those who don't take e easy way out.