PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about items.

Wizard_Mike
01-12-2013, 08:57 PM
For a game like this, one of the biggest elements is loot. Items are one of the main reasons we keep logging in day after day. Let's face it. Without items, this game (and others of the same ilk) simply wouldn't be as fun or successful.

So I'm sure a lot of thought goes into designing and developing the item system. I don't know if any devs would ever post in here to share some of the design philosophies behind he item system in Arcane Legends, but I think getting some good discussion amongst the players might help give them some ideas to put in their pockets.

So post up your thoughts, questions, ideas, likes, dislikes, etc. about items in Arcane Legends. Keep it civil and constructive, please. No flames or derogatory posts.

Wizard_Mike
01-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I'll start off by asking about item randomization.

As most people have noticed, the possible combinations of stats on gear (of potency, or brutality, etc) is not actually random. Take the Arctic Wards right now. They come in either "of potency" or "of will". That's it. Why not have all possible combinations randomly generated on them?

None of the items in the game have their stat combos randomly generated. Take any item in the game and search it on the CS. you'll notice that the "enchantment" (the "of whatever" part) is actually based on level. For example, search the CS for "Mortal Knives". Every level 6 Mortal Knives will be "of Tactics". Every level 11 Mortal Knives will be "of Potency". All level 13s are "of Lethality". You get the idea.

So perhaps they are randomized, but the randomization is seeded by their level. I don't know. What I do know, is that the items in the game would be much more diverse if this system actually was random. If any level of item could drop with any possible "enchantment", I think the whole "item hunting" thing a lot more fun.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure why it's not like that already. I'd be curious to find out why the devs went with the more fixed system that we have now.