PDA

View Full Version : Sorc who are doing well in PvP

Pulenski
01-19-2013, 04:49 PM
There must be some sorcerers who are doing well. Can you share what builds you are using?

I'm going to respec and go for something more suitable to PvP although don't want to completely nerf myself in PvE either. Would like to hear from others.

iacito
01-19-2013, 05:25 PM
can you tell me your build?

Pulenski
01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I've maxed fireball and heal, got 4 in frost, only missing the last one that leaves frost puddles or whatever they are. And got points in Timeshift including the DoT, root and final explosion. Other points in + int. Sorry its not clearer, im going from memory. This is just the build I was using before pvp came.

I do alright as it is but it definitely needs tweaking.

asifaiab
01-19-2013, 06:12 PM
with this build i got 13 kills and 3 deaths in ctf.
fireball(2,3,4)
lightning(1,3)
gale(2,4)
arcane shield(2,3,4)
knowledge5/5
damage 1/5

Pulenski
01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
I see a lot of sorcs are using shield but I'm reluctant to go for that as I want to remain relevant to PvE where shield is a waste.

I will keep heal because it benefits the team aswell as myself and has proved very useful for pve and pvp.

I'm considering dropping my points in frost for gale with the speed increase. Just wondering if using a sp in the additional stun/knockdown time has any effect in PvP aswell? Replies appreciated...

Arcana
01-19-2013, 07:53 PM
go fireball,lightning strike,heal,frost and knowledge
put 1 str and 5 int for every level.Best skill setup

Pulenski
01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
go fireball,lightning strike,heal,frost and knowledge
put 1 str and 5 int for every level.Best skill setup

Could you say why you still suggest frost? I get that its a 1 time cast DoT spell which can be used quickly but it has no other advantages which is why its the one I was planning to drop in favor of something like lightning or gale(speed boost)

Arcana
01-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Why i choose frost and not gale?
frost do more damage and slow enemy when if u use gale to speed boost,its quite useless against rogue and warrior because they can rush u in sec.and the speed boost is not really helpfull when u carry the flag coz u still move slowly like snail.So slow the enemy and deal DoT for me is more usefull than using gale to speed boost.

yuriramos
01-19-2013, 10:00 PM
I see a lot of sorcs are using shield but I'm reluctant to go for that as I want to remain relevant to PvE where shield is a waste.

I will keep heal because it benefits the team aswell as myself and has proved very useful for pve and pvp.

I'm considering dropping my points in frost for gale with the speed increase. Just wondering if using a sp in the additional stun/knockdown time has any effect in PvP aswell? Replies appreciated...

Shields are really important. And its not a waste of skill for pve, shields are useful especially in elite maps

Pulenski
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Ok I appreciate that. I hardly do any or have done any elites so I wouldn't know in that regard.

I have seen it said a few times now that frost slows the enemy but personally, I really don't see that. If it is slowing them then its very very slightly and therefore insignificant.

As it happens I haven't respecced and still have the same build. I'm now on a positive KDR with 200 kills to 144 deaths considering at some point I was a good 40 or more below my kill rate.

So maybe I'm already pretty much using the flexible build I was after. Could still use some tweaking, maybe to bump my health up.

I'll just carry on as I am unless they bring in free respecs.

Shodopan
01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Depends what you want. If you want to kill then go for nukes, as for me I rather concentrate on getting the flag to our base. Here's me build. Arcane Shield, Lifegiver, Gale (with movespeed upgrade), fireball, and movespeed passive. What i do i cast shield when getting the flag then spam charged gale for the movespeed (also knockbacks enemies), if ever enemies catch-up just knock them down with fireball and continue running, remember to heal yourself when needed.

Rays364
01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Gale force, shield, frost, heal

CosmoxKramer
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
My last game we won 5-3 and I went 16-3 kill/death ratio with this build strategy
Full INT
Fireball 5/5
Lightning strike (upgrades 1, 4)
Frost bolt (upgrades 1, 3)
Lifegiver(upgrades 2,3)
Knowledge passive 5/5
Damage passive 1/5

I use watchers rifle and stay max range on the enemy and kite, kite, kite. Rifle has as long a range as your spells and I always charge my spells for stun/slow procs. Increased duration slow from frost bolt does work

Pulenski
01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Increased duration slow from frost bolt does work

Is that when charged or not?

CosmoxKramer
01-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Yes I charge all the skills for increased damage and the cc effects seem to work more often.

Pulenski
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
So you would recommend the watch rifle? I bought one the other day and used it a bit but it I'm not convinced its any better?

Pulenski
01-24-2013, 02:01 AM
Respec'd earlier and my god am I glad I did. Doing much much better now with this spec.

I went full int on stats having previously spared some for a bit of str (what a noob I know).

Then...

5 points into Int passive (bumped up my damage and hp even more)

4 points in Fireball (missed out scorch)

3 points in Gale (AoE and speed, which I'm finding extremely useful)

2 points in Lightning (increased dmg)

4 points in Shield (increased duration, dmg reduction and 2 sec invulnerability) Can't say enough about how much shield has helped and how FOOLISH I was to have ever doubted it) :hopelessness: :apologetic:

I had 2 points left over and debated putting them into scorch and the gale dodge as together the 25- hit and 25+ dodge seemed quite good but if they ever overlapped it wouldn't be for that long as they are short buffs and both skills must be charged to take effect. As it happens I placed them in str passive for a hp boost because I just wanted to break the 1.6k point :triumphant: but maybe someone who has both of these skills can provide positive feedback?

Gale force is brilliant because I can get around the map quickly, more specifically, to the hp and mana packs that spawn in the corners / bases. This basically makes up for a lack of heal or increased mana regen in my eyes, one of my concerns with leaving out heal. It's also useful for kiting although certain spec'd warriors will make this and any other kiting tool redundant due to their gap closing arsenal, at which point it becomes more of a fleeing mechanism more than anything. Also, not to forget that the knockback does work so long as the target(s) are under no other effect.

Fireball goes out without saying with the crucial AoE stun effect and Lightning spec'd for increased dmg is great burst damage although lacks slightly in range compared to frostbolt (only 2m)

I've been using the Watch Rifle as well and it's definitely a must have. Much greater range and higher DMG (not DPS) than the flamestrikes or charwards makes it a superior PvP weapon. The occasional push back proc is also nice.

Playing with this build has drastically improved my fortunes in PvP and yielded a 529 / 316 KDR standing which I hope to keep improving on. I don't go for flags very often as Sorc becomes so much more vulnerable in doing so but I always try and support who ever else goes for it.

Anyway would like to hear from other Sorcs and what builds they're doing well with so others can look in and maybe get an idea.

Itoopeo
01-24-2013, 05:12 PM
217 kills 41 deaths. But im lvl 13.
Skills are fireball, heal, lightning and shield

JuiceBox
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Full INT
Shield 5/5
Fire 5/5
Lightning 5/5
Gale 5/5

I'm still using a wand, I just like the feel for it. As it does have a use when the fight becomes 1v2. Although I do find that rifles are more reliable to make a stun, especially you don't need to be facing your opponent.

So without a pet and INT passive I'm at about 240+ DPS.

So here's a short breakdown of each skill and why I chose them in my arsenal:

Shield - This is my main counter to rogues aimed shot. It gives us a 2s invulnerability and stays a little longer to absorb some extra damage before disappearing.
I dropped my heal because in PvP it was my least used spell. I'm either dead before I can heal myself or if I manage to heal myself, I'm dead within the next 2-3 hits.
I do miss it for group support, but for mages most PvP fights go down fast. I've seen some mages with heal and it works well against other mages and some warriors.

Fire - Most reliable aoe knockdown, excellent range, most safest attack that we do have. When someone is on their back they can't fight back.

Lightning - Most damaging spell, and a chance to stun or aoe.

Gale - Why not frost or heal or INT passive?

I didn't go for more INT, because no matter what we will never be able to 1hit ko. Our strengths is in our combos.

I didn't choose frost either, because from my experience it never freezes and only sometimes slows. A slowed rogue can still aim shot and a warrior can still sky hammer towards me. Granted frost does have a fast cooldown, excellent range, and excellent damage.

I didn't go for heal as I've already stated why.

Gales strengths is it does aoe damage and it also does knock back although to me it works about 75% of the time. Also it gives you a speed boost and dodge. Yes speed boost doesn't work right now when you're carrying the flag, but it does let you get around the map faster. Meaning its not a long way to run if u have to go pick up the heal, mana, and speed boosts around the map. Also it does help you disengage from most fights when you need to buy time for your cool downs or to set up again.

PvE - I felt totally gimped especially doing elites. But it did take time to adjust. I don't spam skills anymore to burst down the mobs, but I do crowd control. I cycle between fireball and gale to keep them on their back and help the tank manage his health better.
Lightning for the bosses.
Shield is excellent for when I need to buy time for a cool down or if I'm being targeted.
I do find that I rarely pull aggro, because I'm not trying to out DPS the group from the get go. If I wanted to I can, but I have learned to conserve mana and health and only go all out if a warrior looses control of the fight.

I still get the same chances to get a drop, so why worry.

GoodSyntax
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Sounds like you have found a superior build.

Shield is obviously a must have for PvP. I have also found that any skill that stuns or knocks back to be exceptionally effective against my Rogue. Fireball in particular is effective because if it hits before I launch my Aimed Shot, it unwinds my skill and stuns me for several seconds. During the stun, a combination of Lightning plus a few auto's is usually enough to take me down.

Obviously, my Rogue is a bit squishy as I have focused on damage (I've got more one-hit kills than I can count), but I simply do not have the stamina for extended fights. Any skill to prolong a fight improves your chances against Rogues.

Warriors seem to be a bit OP to me ATM. I don't really understand how their swords have 4-5m range and how they can jump over walls and around corners with Skyward Smash. The best I am able to do against Warriors is kite them, use charged auto attacks to stun and mix in charged Aimed Shots.

Lately, as you Sorcerers have found better and better builds, I am getting more deaths from you folks than from any other class. Proper timing of Shield and Fireball seems to be the differentiator of "bad" Sorcerers and "great" Sorcerers.

JuiceBox
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you have found a superior build.

Shield is obviously a must have for PvP. I have also found that any skill that stuns or knocks back to be exceptionally effective against my Rogue. Fireball in particular is effective because if it hits before I launch my Aimed Shot, it unwinds my skill and stuns me for several seconds. During the stun, a combination of Lightning plus a few auto's is usually enough to take me down.

Obviously, my Rogue is a bit squishy as I have focused on damage (I've got more one-hit kills than I can count), but I simply do not have the stamina for extended fights. Any skill to prolong a fight improves your chances against Rogues.

Warriors seem to be a bit OP to me ATM. I don't really understand how their swords have 4-5m range and how they can jump over walls and around corners with Skyward Smash. The best I am able to do against Warriors is kite them, use charged auto attacks to stun and mix in charged Aimed Shots.

Lately, as you Sorcerers have found better and better builds, I am getting more deaths from you folks than from any other class. Proper timing of Shield and Fireball seems to be the differentiator of "bad" Sorcerers and "great" Sorcerers.

I agree warriors are still op. The problem is the warriors ability to close the gap between you and them very quickly. Also their relatively short cool downs.

Chain axe reaches too far.
Skyward hammer leaping distance is too long and the cool down is very short
And that rally buff that makes them run faster lasts too long.

Otherwise I can deal with their 3 heal spells. It won't be an easy fight, but I'm not forced to go toe to toe with them.