PDA

View Full Version : Muting / Filtering.

Takezaki
01-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Wouldn't it be a bit wiser to just ''filter'' offensive words and just mute people that spam uncontrollably? After all ain't this game for mature audience?

I got muted for 4 minutes just for saying ''F*ck''. I thought it was a bit harsh and really annoying when you're standing there with someone and you can't answer back when they are talking. 4 minutes is a while if you're in the middle of a transaction.

Lady_Pebbles
01-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes the chat filter sucks. At the release of AL, there was no filter. Now that we have one, we have a "turn filter off/on" which makes no difference when we automatically get muted when its off.

If they'd just make it so that the filter works properly then there wouldn't be an issue. If we want to cuss and/or don't mind people cussing then having the filter turned off should allow us to do so. However, if its on then we can't use it & will see * when ppl cuss. Point blank.

This wouldn't apply to racial slurs though. Obviously lol.

Deadbite
01-22-2013, 08:17 PM
There still was a filter when it first came out but it was the same as DL so very lose but while testing the limits I got muted a few times.

Flybynight
01-24-2013, 04:52 PM
I.m.o: If we choose to turn the chat filter off then we shouldn't be muted for saying a swear word like Cr@p when we die while with a team at an elite boss!! ;P Very Annoying!! Racial slurs should automatically be muted & warned. They are unacceptable at ANY time!! If it is an option to turn off filter then it should be an option to say a swear word while it is off :)

Lick_the_Toad
01-24-2013, 07:40 PM
I don't think my filter setting should have anything to do with whether or not you get muted. It is the filter settings of the others on the map which is relevant.

Maybe there should be an icon for when you are muted, and/or an automated reply when someone PMs you while muted.

I don't think there is really any need for profanity in the game, and it isn't like speaking where it just comes out when you are frustrated. Since you typed it, you made a decision.Then again, someone asked me to set my "***tle", and the only game-word I could come up with was "turtle" not realizing they misspelled "title". Not sure if "title" would have been allowed, or if it would have been "***le". That level of filtering may be a little excessive.

BTW unlike DL, I don't think AL is an adults only game.

Lady_Pebbles
01-24-2013, 08:10 PM
The point is, if I decide to turn the filter off then I want to actually be able to cuss and see cussing in chat. If I want it on then all I'd see are asteriks. Point blank.

Why have an on/off option if you're not gonna allow it when we want to in the first freaken place???

I cuss a lot. Doesn't mean I use it to cuss people out in game, theres an Ignore feature to deal with idiots so no problem there. I cuss because its part of the way --I-- talk. So what? You don't like it? Use the filter... But don't force me not to cuss just because you don't like it. Hell, lots of people on AL cuss and they do it without being muted. How? By cheating the chat system, making the system "think" they aren't cussing when they are.

Again, I don't see why they don't fix the stupid filter so it works properly. Smh.

Genuinous
01-25-2013, 06:23 AM
I have to agree, filter is just ridiculously excessive. With tit and sex being censored (what is this, primary school?) making basic conversation full of ***. But I do not think swearing uncontrollably should be fine either, keeping the game civilized is important. Though why is sh*t with i or iii different? Or f*ck with u or v? Either eliminate all or leave them all, current version is just messy....

Rare
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't think my filter setting should have anything to do with whether or not you get muted. It is the filter settings of the others on the map which is relevant.

Maybe there should be an icon for when you are muted, and/or an automated reply when someone PMs you while muted.

I don't think there is really any need for profanity in the game, and it isn't like speaking where it just comes out when you are frustrated. Since you typed it, you made a decision.Then again, someone asked me to set my "***tle", and the only game-word I could come up with was "turtle" not realizing they misspelled "title". Not sure if "title" would have been allowed, or if it would have been "***le". That level of filtering may be a little excessive.

BTW unlike DL, I don't think AL is an adults only game.

Blah. The filter is absurd. You think kids are learning cuss words in video games?? Seriously?

Justg
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
We ask that you don't cuss in our games (except DL) and we think that the general vibe is far better because of it.

There are other games that don't moderate as heavily, and they usually degrade into a toxic cesspool.

AL is for 9+. Be cool to each other and don't cuss. Them's the rules.

Pandamoni
01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
I think that (and I may be wrong--it HAS happened once or twice in my life--but I don't think so) in order to have a specific rating in the app store they have to not allow cursing. So, while STS knows that many of us are adults and will curse, they have to placate the man by having things in place that allow them to keep the rating that will give them more clients/revenue, as many kids aren't allowed to download games with a mature rating.

That said, I managed to get muted in DL! That takes skill, man. I think that I tacked two words together that ended up being a racial slur or homophobic or something. I have no clue, that's the only thing I can assume. I was actually a little proud. ahahaha

octavos
01-25-2013, 04:35 PM
We ask that you don't cuss in our games (except DL) and we think that the general vibe is far better because of it.

There are other games that don't moderate as heavily, and they usually degrade into a toxic cesspool.

On the same lines...i def agree... Immaturity annoys me to the max...Im glad these rules are in place. Even in my guild..theres no place for that..insta-boot.

Rare
01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
On the same lines...i def agree... Immaturity annoys me to the max...Im glad these rules are in place. Even in my guild..theres no place for that..insta-boot.

Well I generally agree with you on the being nice to others part. But the chat filter I don't think is necessary. Like others mentioned, just block it out of it fails the filter. In any case, reading back on my previous post, it may have come off a little strong

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Takezaki
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
At least please add an icon on top of a character when it is muted.

So many times I said ''sh*t'' to myself because I forgot/lost or was mad at myself and I got muted for 5 minutes in the middle of a trade.

Uzii
01-26-2013, 03:15 PM

Okay but do u think that using own language is cussing? I was muted once for speaking mine language frend got for 10 min bc he repeated the same sentence. Ofc i started cussing like hell in my language but no mute ironic isnt it. Frend just laughed and wondered why i was so quite.... -_- I dont even know what i said so bad i was muted and more mutes head to band. That means i can be band for using mine own language?

Takezaki
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM

I wholeheartedly agree about the ''Not cussing'' part. I just don't see what it accomplishes to mute a player for 4 minutes because a cuss words slipped out of his fingers for half a second. I just think it should be filtered, blanked out, maybe a notification pops up, but don't MUTE the player automatically and systematically for 4 minutes. It just makes me frustrated when I say sh*t by mistake and then I have to wait 4 minutes to tell people ''Sorry I was muted''. I just think it adds nothing to the game. STS doesn't need to act like Pavlov and negatively reinforce players not to use cuss words. Blank it out.

Spamming is an issue that resolved by muting, not cussing.

Lady_Pebbles
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
The kids and trolls will figure out a way to cuss regardless if theres a filter or not. I don't see whats the big deal in fixing the filter like I said before.

Smh. Hella ridiculous.

smeagolette
01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
I was muted for saying shorty..as in to my mage guildmate 'come here shorty'...

Mrsberry
01-27-2013, 03:44 AM
I was banned for 7 days because the word bigger got auto corrected into a racist slur. It was an obvious mistake otherwise the sentence would have made no sence. Sts even pointed out that it was prob a mistake but because I used the word d*ck in the same sentence they kept me banned for the 7 days.
That was a bit harsh when that word would have usaly only caused a 5min mute.

Takezaki
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I was banned for 7 days because the word bigger got auto corrected into a racist slur. It was an obvious mistake otherwise the sentence would have made no sence. Sts even pointed out that it was prob a mistake but because I used the word d*ck in the same sentence they kept me banned for the 7 days.
That was a bit harsh when that word would have usaly only caused a 5min mute.

Definately excessive. I don't understand what they have to gain banning a player like that, versus what they can potentially lose if a customer turns his back on the game forever.

If I got banned for 7 days I don't think I would play this game again, to be frank.

Lady_Pebbles
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I remember when you told me MrsB. That is excessive, unfair, and extremely stupid imo. It should have just got you muted and not banned. Smh!!! Its bad enough we get muted for talking in a different language due to the spelling of some words, now we get a 7 day ban for something that should've just got us muted?!?!

Smh.

Bless
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow. A typo got me muted. Wanted to say shift in pvp but said s*** accidentally cuz of the fast paced pvp.