PDA

View Full Version : PvP & Autotarget, an unsuccessful relationship

Genuinous
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Everyone has been complaining about how OP rogue's are, how mage's are super weak. However if we look at 1v1 I think class balance is quite nice, no real issues there. 1v1 (playing with mage) I beat most rogues and quite a few warriors, etc.. What I want to point out here however is autotarget

Autotarget in PvP is not cool. Seriously not cool.

Playing as a mage you have the highest dps in the area. Whether you use staff you will have the highest dps in the area if you have top gear (which is not that difficult to attain if you choose old gear). The problem starts here, namely that autotarget WILL HIT the player with highest dps.
-A mage who is entering a bigger fighting bunch is likely to get targeted by the players fighting there, especially after landing couple hits. As a highly support oriented class mages stand no chance in those cases (no armor/health).
-A group is going together including your high dps mage and a rogue shoots a bow randomly in the group and boom, you're dead. (or any other attackers entering). Again as before, mage as support oriented class has no chance.

You might think at this point, hell with the staff, let's switch to rifle. Yet still with dps easily over 180 you will have higher dps than rogues (with bows) or warriors around. So as long as the autotarget is aimed at the highest dps player, mages will be screwed in group fights.

Let's look at things differently. You are fighting 1v1 (for sake of simplicity) against a player with relatively lower dps. You are fighting him quite well when a mage/rogue with high dps enters the area and autotarget switches target and now instead of fighting the player who's health you already decreased you enter a new fight with a guy at a lot higher hp. Uncool again. Same case when the opponent runs through a group of his allies (higher dps there) and then you are not fighting your original opponent anymore.

Another case is when 2 players are coming towards you with some distance between them, the one closer with lower dps. You charge your fireball (mage again) and fire away put oops, the player further away is hit while the one close to you is unaffected, attacking you easily. (ik mage example, but that's what I played most)

Suggestion
I'd like to suggest the following tweaks for autotarget in pvp.
-Player's you have been attacking should be prioritized over others.
-Player's closer to you be prioritized over ones further away.
-Change autotarget by opponents, so low dps classes and high dps classes will have a more even target rate. The gap between the 2 is getting so significant that low dps (warriors) rarely get targeted anymore. This also applies not only for pvp but pve also.

Again this is not a discussion on class balance so if you want to explain that rogues are op, this is not the topic. Please share your view and experience on autotarget, whether you like it or not. More examples and views from different classes would make this post a lot more informative.

Cero
01-20-2013, 08:41 PM
i disagree with the prioritize the nearest to be target. if this implemtented then chasing the flag will be difficult.

Asireuz
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Is that how it works right now? That would explain a few things.

I guess I just thought that they all had it in for me. :beaten:

Infrico
01-21-2013, 02:44 AM
I used to think mages were underpowered even posted that on a few threads, although after seeing some mages in PvP who aren't even twinked, pwn like crazy. Mages are insanely strong, only problem is, only a few know how to use it.

Destructible
01-21-2013, 03:00 AM
I used to think mages were underpowered even posted that on a few threads, although after seeing some mages in PvP who aren't even twinked, pwn like crazy. Mages are insanely strong, only problem is, only a few know how to use it.

Most of the times camera rotation becomes a constant buzzing in the ear. Players can't see 360 degrees, thus making it easy for rogues to just pick mages off without even being seen.

Valsacar
01-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Auto-target pisses me off in PvE as well, I really hate when I'm beating on the boss and suddenly one of those little guys that shoot green balls moves close by and I switch targets.

Rot
01-21-2013, 05:33 AM
What are you guys talking about? All I did was entering Ctf for the first time, used Vengeful Blood and spammed some skills and got 39 kills and 2 deaths.
Lol.

Patricks
01-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Everyone has been complaining about how OP rogue's are, how mage's are super weak. However if we look at 1v1 I think class balance is quite nice, no real issues there. 1v1 (playing with mage) I beat most rogues and quite a few warriors, etc.. What I want to point out here however is autotarget

Autotarget in PvP is not cool. Seriously not cool.

Playing as a mage you have the highest dps in the area. Whether you use staff you will have the highest dps in the area if you have top gear (which is not that difficult to attain if you choose old gear). The problem starts here, namely that autotarget WILL HIT the player with highest dps.
-A mage who is entering a bigger fighting bunch is likely to get targeted by the players fighting there, especially after landing couple hits. As a highly support oriented class mages stand no chance in those cases (no armor/health).
-A group is going together including your high dps mage and a rogue shoots a bow randomly in the group and boom, you're dead. (or any other attackers entering). Again as before, mage as support oriented class has no chance.

You might think at this point, hell with the staff, let's switch to rifle. Yet still with dps easily over 180 you will have higher dps than rogues (with bows) or warriors around. So as long as the autotarget is aimed at the highest dps player, mages will be screwed in group fights.

Let's look at things differently. You are fighting 1v1 (for sake of simplicity) against a player with relatively lower dps. You are fighting him quite well when a mage/rogue with high dps enters the area and autotarget switches target and now instead of fighting the player who's health you already decreased you enter a new fight with a guy at a lot higher hp. Uncool again. Same case when the opponent runs through a group of his allies (higher dps there) and then you are not fighting your original opponent anymore.

Another case is when 2 players are coming towards you with some distance between them, the one closer with lower dps. You charge your fireball (mage again) and fire away put oops, the player further away is hit while the one close to you is unaffected, attacking you easily. (ik mage example, but that's what I played most)

Suggestion
I'd like to suggest the following tweaks for autotarget in pvp.
-Player's you have been attacking should be prioritized over others.
-Player's closer to you be prioritized over ones further away.
-Change autotarget by opponents, so low dps classes and high dps classes will have a more even target rate. The gap between the 2 is getting so significant that low dps (warriors) rarely get targeted anymore. This also applies not only for pvp but pve also.

Again this is not a discussion on class balance so if you want to explain that rogues are op, this is not the topic. Please share your view and experience on autotarget, whether you like it or not. More examples and views from different classes would make this post a lot more informative.

In pvp, Autotarget gets the enemy closest to you in the direction you face. lol

Vystirch
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Yah, I believe your wrong. All attacks hit the person closest in range and that is all period

drgrimmy
01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
However autotarget currently works, they should change it so you should be able to select your target.

Vystirch
01-21-2013, 01:05 PM
However autotarget currently works, they should change it so you should be able to select your target.
I don't agree with this. I think the current system makes running flags much more strategic than if someone can target the flag bearer.

GoodSyntax
01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Mages can be stupid tough, but it is also a very hard class to play in PvP. Mages dispense a lot of damage, but their armor is low - thus the Mage is challenging to play. I have personally seen a single mage wipe out a group of three (2 warriors and a rogue - my rogue I might add :-). It was a one of those spam skills, timeshift & knockdown, run, wait for cooldown and spam again type tactics, but it was effective.

I ended up picking off the bastard a few times, but anyone who says Rogues need to be nerfed or Warriors need to be buffed simply does not know how to play their class.

Vystirch
01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Mages can be stupid tough, but it is also a very hard class to play in PvP. Mages dispense a lot of damage, but their armor is low - thus the Mage is challenging to play. I have personally seen a single mage wipe out a group of three (2 warriors and a rogue - my rogue I might add :-). It was a one of those spam skills, timeshift & knockdown, run, wait for cooldown and spam again type tactics, but it was effective.

I ended up picking off the bastard a few times, but anyone who says Rogues need to be nerfed or Warriors need to be buffed simply does not know how to play their class.

Yes ever class can be played to win against the others, all we can really say is play better.

Patricks
01-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Unfortunately, this would make warrior the default flag bearer cuz anyone else would die.

drgrimmy
01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't agree with this. I think the current system makes running flags much more strategic than if someone can target the flag bearer.

I think it would actually increase the teamwork and strategy needed to get a flag back. You
would need more help from teammates to stun or kill enemies on your tail.

Unfortunately, this would make warrior the default flag bearer cuz anyone else would die.

Unfortunately, I think with the exception of you :) and perhaps a few others, as things are now
mages are generally bad flag bearers. This is with the lack of a skill that works for speed boost
while carrying a flag and generally low health and armor. Let's be honest, if wins and losses
counted for the leaderboards, would you prefer a mage or a warrior carrying the flag on your team?

It's ok if you guys don't agree with me :)

birdmasta
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
mages have the highest dps???

frieke
01-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Hmmm... Well i dont think you should be able to pick your target, no fun in tgat however in saying that, i agree there are issues with auto targeting and it changing when a new person enters area. Also, if what you say is true about higher dps being first targeted, that just blows. Idk but something needs to be fixed im tired of fighting with warriors for someone else to happen by and all of sudden my attack goes to them then i die then my teamate comes and with one hit kills warrior i was just fighting with.....no achievements for assist?! :p