PDA

View Full Version : A Guide On Making A Guide

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Hello Alterrans,
This guide is in a major need due to the fact that some new players feel the need to post guides on things that are self explanatory. I believe a long time ago someone made a guide on this but I couldn't find it, so here is a guide.

***Please don't give me rep for this, that is not the point of this guide***

-What is a Valid Guide?

A valid guide must cover a topic a lot of new players (and old ones alike) do not understand or could improve their game play with.
A valid guide has a lot of time poured into it and it is something that everybody can find useful.
A valid guide is not made to try and get rep easily, and it is not made to achieve ranks on the forums or get special shields.

-A UN Valid Guide

These are the guides that are ONE paragraph and are short, non discriptive, and describe useless topics.

For Example:

Valid Guide: How to make money using the CS!
Non Valid Guide: How to type Hello in chat!

-These guides include pleas for reputation and they are easily recognized as a guide that was made to get thanks and not made to help the players of PL.
-The topics of these guides are essentially common knowledge
-The guides are not thought out well, and they are sloppily written/editted

How to Make a Real Guide

-Make sure your spelling is right
-Use tools to make it more appealing such as Emotes, Bold, and Underline
-Make sure it is on a topic that is VALID (refer to the first section of this guide)
-Do not include many pleas for people to add to your reputation, you may get some reputation but you will lose respect from the community
-Do not beg in your threads for Developers to move it to the guide section. PM them.

This is not a guide meant to insult anyone, this is simply a player trying to get the community to realize what is classified as a "Guide" and what is simply, General Knowledge.

Thank you for reading,
If you find this helpful tell me through PM, Don't give me Rep that is not the point of the guide.

-Griff

dudetus
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
The ironic part is that there already are guides on how to make guides.

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 10:00 AM

Yet no one reads them.

@Billy -_-

dudetus
01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Yet no one reads them.

@Billy -_-

And how exactly would this guide differ frome those earlier guides?

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
And how exactly would this guide differ frome those earlier guides?

It won't. It's def not a new topic, but one that needs to be refreshed. But maybe certain people will read this, and that would be so worth my time.

Also I looked for those old guides, I couldn't find them, I know I saw them somewhere and I wanted to use the links. Do you have the links?

ZHEOTARE
01-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Maybe you you didn't notice this part...

I believe a long time ago someone made a guide on this but I couldn't find it, so here is a guide.-Griff

Spectre
01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Good guide I'll thank it

The Sadness
01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Only thing I read was this: ***Please don't give me rep for this, that is not the point of this guide***

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Only thing I read was this: ***Please don't give me rep for this, that is not the point of this guide***

lol, Yet they are thanking me..

Spectre
01-21-2013, 10:24 AM
lol, Yet they are thanking me..

Yeah, what u expect from making good guide?

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah, what u expect from making good guide?

I was practicing what I was preaching, lol

My teacher is wondering why I just randomly laughed in class.. lol

ZHEOTARE
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
You did good man. I will only thank you with my words.

dudetus
01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
It won't. It's def not a new topic, but one that needs to be refreshed. But maybe certain people will read this, and that would be so worth my time.

Also I looked for those old guides, I couldn't find them, I know I saw them somewhere and I wanted to use the links. Do you have the links?

Here's one: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?55689-Guide-on-How-to-Make-a-Guide!&highlight=guide%2C *giggle*. I'll search the rest later today.

@Zheo. Unnecessary bolding is for the ones who desperately want their posts to be read.

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Here's one: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?55689-Guide-on-How-to-Make-a-Guide!&highlight=guide%2C *giggle*. I'll search the rest later today.

@Zheo. Unnecessary bolding is for the ones who desperately want their posts to be read.

ty much.

Glad to have the trollin' Ninja back. Just sayin'

cookiez
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Making a guide is kinda self explanatory...

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 11:30 AM

I can pm you a couple guides that were my inspiration.

Chopper
01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Too many guides on making guides.

Maybe someone should make a Guide on making Guides on making Guides? That way we can get get some advice on how to tell others people on how to tell people how to make guides.

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Too many guides on making guides.

Maybe someone should make a Guide on making Guides on making Guides? That way we can get get some advice on how to tell others people on how to tell people how to make guides.

New guide coming!

Guide: how to be a good troll

Chopper
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
New guide coming!

:) ha ha ha

Deadsoldiers
01-21-2013, 12:59 PM
How to Make a Real Guide

-Make sure your spelling is right
-Use tools to make it more appealing such as Emotes, Bold, and Underline
-Make sure it is on a topic that is VALID (refer to the first section of this guide)
-Do not include many pleas for people to add to your reputation, you may get some reputation but you will lose respect from the community
-Do not beg in your threads for Developers to move it to the guide section. PM them.
-Griff
Me as an old Website Hobby Writer has to say that underlining isnt a good tool to stress things, bold is much better, because it makes the underlined text look like a link which its oviously not. Just sayin dont want to insult anyone :) Thumbs Up for your guide

billybob1
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Yet no one reads them.

@Billy -_-

lol...i was laughing as i thanked you knowing u would have some kinda remark...n im still laughing..

dudetus
01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
New guide coming!

That's my expertize. I can give u tips.

Jcyee
01-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Apparently not considering all these "guides" popping up lately.

Griffinfan
01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
That's my expertize. I can give u tips.

PM me pro tips plox

ZHEOTARE
01-21-2013, 05:55 PM

I could say that about all your unnecessary posts.

Bunnyshoota
01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Gf tho

Caiahar
01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
I feel that this thread is based towards me...

Kixxler
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Now someone should make a guide about making guides about guides