PDA

View Full Version : The negative effect the LB are having on CTF

Cashews
01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
CTF is a team game. This means teamwork is required to win. The current leaderboards have nothing to do with teamwork. This negatively impacts gameplay because most people are too concerned with getting kills to make it onto the leaderboard or just to pad their kdr. In my opinion, the only leaderboard needed for an objective team game is for the number of wins. This would promote team play, which is the way the game is designed to be played.

Yoho
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Yep, now it's like public server in cs - best camper has the most kills. It doesn't matter who wins the whole game - go for kills and flags.
It would be nice to receive points for the victory not for flags, but that's require actual 'teams' to play, thus possible only on tournaments.

xcainnblecterx
01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Theres a spot for flags on lb too

Cashews
01-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Theres a spot for flags on lb too True but do you think these flag runners on the lb have any concern for their teammates? They are going to just run flags anyway whether or not they receive help from teammates. A leaderboard for wins would force the team to work together. I'm not saying to have set teams but each players wins could be recorded individually. This will help determine how well that certain player works with a team.

Cero
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
wow such a good idea.
a CTF win LB would be nice.

would also promote people not to quit and better team play.

Fluffysox
01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
New stats:
Wins
Loses
Quits

= WIN

Cero
01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
or maybe not having an LB but a new status on avatar info.

Genuinous
01-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Leader boards are still great and necessary. Gives ppl sthing to work towards, some real show of their achievement. You are one of the best in your class or in the game, how are you gonna compare yourself to the rest? Okay okay, what if we look at wins? Wins dont do justice either. A team can have more kills, own the other but still lose. A team of 4 wars can carry flag back and forth winning games while a mage sits in the corner with them doing nothing. Does that mean he'll be the best mage in AL?

Yes I admit, there are players who just go straight for the flag and care about nothing else. They are quite fun to kill though as they wont stop to fight...
Yes, there are players who wont help the flag bearer, but run off chasing kills.

However would not having leader board for kills and flag bearing help this? No! There is a leader board for points and to get 10k flag achievement believe me, players will run for the flag only and not care about anything. Or kill only to get 10k kills. So either you're suggesting completely erasing lb or erasing all achievements for pvp or it just doesn't make sense...

Syylent
01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
New stats:
Wins
Loses
Quits

= WIN

Wins
Loses
Cowards

Uzii
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Wins
Loses
Cowards

Whats point to stay in game where thers 3 or more warriors in same team and u r in team with rouges or mages and some alredy left? Oh common even u would leave

Syylent
01-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Whats point to stay in game where thers 3 or more warriors in same team and u r in team with rouges or mages and some alredy left? Oh common even u would leave

I stay in games when I am the only rogue and still get beat up on by 2 rogues 2 warriors and a mage. They steam roll over me. Mage stuns me.. Warriors grind me and rogues finally kill me. The worst thing is they still run in a 5 pack. A little class would be nice.

Pick the game and suck it up. If you are afraid to join for whatever reason? then the coward tag works. Only thing that would suck is the disconnects.

edit: I have never left a match even when horribly outnumbered. Maybe I am the rare few... but I doubt it because I have stayed in games with only another person. Mainly it is funny because the other team trash talks when they roll you 5 v 1. hahahaha

If I join and see 4 on blue I join red then watch as people enter or leave or even join the last spot in blue. tooo funny.

Norbert
01-25-2013, 04:09 PM
As a 'game' right now CTF is pretty broken. I don't play a lot, but I think I've only played about twice where there was actually a good game going on. Mostly one team or the other is just lurking outside the spawn hallways picking off players one by one. I think removing the kills from the leader board would help this and moving to a win/lose stat is a great idea.

Create a separate PvP for people who want a kills-oriented leader board. PL has (or had?) that, and it was pretty fun.

Uzii
01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
I stay in games when I am the only rogue and still get beat up on by 2 rogues 2 warriors and a mage. They steam roll over me. Mage stuns me.. Warriors grind me and rogues finally kill me. The worst thing is they still run in a 5 pack. A little class would be nice.

Pick the game and suck it up. If you are afraid to join for whatever reason? then the coward tag works. Only thing that would suck is the disconnects.

edit: I have never left a match even when horribly outnumbered. Maybe I am the rare few... but I doubt it because I have stayed in games with only another person. Mainly it is funny because the other team trash talks when they roll you 5 v 1. hahahaha

If I join and see 4 on blue I join red then watch as people enter or leave or even join the last spot in blue. tooo funny.

Im not affraid to tell that i leave a game when its hopless. Doesnt mean im a coward just practical decision. Im not on a suicide mission to go against five alone that just lack common sense. Game should be fun and thers just no fun in it. of course if u enjoy dieng for no reason do as u want.

I join team that has less ppl but if it does not fill soon i leave and find other game to play. I waited once abt 5 min till game started bc everyone was joining team with most ppl. who joined mine left as he saw that difference.

wolfkult
01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
There is no incentive to win CTF and no incentive to do anything other than get deathblows. There needs to be some sort of reward for winning CTF, getting kills (not just deathblows), etc. Reward the things you want to promote, it's easy.

Currently you're not going to get deathblows when it's 1v5 or 2v5 so I just cut out and find a different game. If I'm not having fun what's the point. It's just a game it's not like I'm in the military or something defending my country.

In WoW (at least for the first few years of it when I played) you got tokens for PvP centric gear for kills and winning CTF (or other games). In other MMORPGs I've played there is a pvp level system where the more points you have the more skills you get -- this sort of sucked because it made those with more time even more advanced but it was a great incentive. The number of points you got per kill factored in how much higher in pvp level you were, how many people were attacking the same person, etc etc. AL could weight someones gear since in AL, heh, it's all about gear and that gear can be point with real life $$ unlike other MMORPGs I've played.

Patricks
01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
This is y they should make it so once one side has three, the other should need to have three as well before a fourth can be added.

Also, the join system is all effed up because only one side can ever have the team members they want together. If blue team all know each other, that means red team is an unorganized random team. So of you join a game and see the other side all know each other, you know u will prolly lose. Or if you make a team with all the members you want, you will prolly win cuz the other side r usually just random joins. Then losing side team members keep leaving and it's a revolving door of randoms joining on losing side.

Preorganzed teams just press replay and do the same again.

wolfkult
01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Heh, yeah I agree. I'll join a game and 5 people will be on red 0 on blue .... "I'm screwed." Then the 5 doesn't go for flags and just farms us -- log out and back into another game is the only way to get my rocks off :)

Syylent
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Still if you have the coward thing in effect chances are people won't leave.

So the 5 will stay there regardless because they do not want a coward label. So it should stop that. Of course, some won't care.

hey man whatever you want to do with your rocks is your business. If you go in and see 5 sitting on red and no one on blue then you can leave the "lobby" and re enter. There is no label added for that. If you do join a group against a guild group and Barney the warrior is sitting over in the corner shaking with fear because he lost his pet and afraid to be killed and Susy the Rogue thinks the git with the wand is cute and trying to impress him with her ALPs and the other two warriors are busy playing patty cake... well then your team has got a problem.

Archaeus
01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Just an idea but why not offer a small cash or token type of reward for the winning team or for just staying in the game till the finish. Redeem for pets? Add new pets u can only get through pvp tokens? Or some kind of vanity?

Vilified
01-26-2013, 12:36 AM
for this issue why not have ranked and social games. ranked meaning you search for a game and it puts you together without each side seeing who's on the other team and the game doesn't start until there's 10 people and quitting any time after your able to see who's on the other team counts as a loss(assuming they go with the win loss ratio on inspect page) and have ranked be the only game type that reflects your kill death and win loss ratio and gets you on the leader board

And make the way you have it now the social game type which is come and go as you please and if they decide not to reflect social games on the k/d and w/l then this would be a good place to practice or play by yourself where as ranked would be mostly people who built a good party before they play.

Or you could even split it up so there's social and ranked stats but I think if you have a leader board it should be this way so people can play by themselves without having to worry about dropping down the lb

Seems like everyone would be happy this way