PDA

View Full Version : How not to be awful at PL?

Dax
09-24-2010, 01:01 AM
So I just started playing a few days ago, after countless hours of enjoyable gameplay I've reached level 18 now as I progress further does any skilled player have Amy suggestions how I won't be just plain awful I made this warrior bear I guess you could call it that at any rate any suggestions on gear choices ect.? And how expensive gold wise would it be for me to get a decent pink setup at say level 20

Azrael
09-24-2010, 01:31 AM
pinks aren't needed at level 20. They don't hurt though. Just level and learn. As a warrior you want to keep your str as low as you can but still be able to wear the best gear, and you want the rest in dex (until you start pvping, then you put 16 in int).

I suggest you check out the warrior forum for some guides on builds.

Beyond that you just need to level as fast as possible. Dont get hung up on gear till you are level 40 ish.

Raxie
09-24-2010, 02:06 AM
you don't need to level as fast as possible; take your time doing quests. i actually prefer the lower levels than the higher levels. you can't really be awful at pl; however you can be awful at pvp. just remember that you are a tank so you should be up there soaking the shots while mages and archers stay behind you dealing a lot of damage. good mages should heal you.

Azrael
09-24-2010, 02:15 AM
you don't need to level as fast as possible; take your time doing quests. i actually prefer the lower levels than the higher levels. you can't really be awful at pl; however you can be awful at pvp. just remember that you are a tank so you should be up there soaking the shots while mages and archers stay behind you dealing a lot of damage. good mages should heal you.

Ug... sure this "should" be right.. but its not as far as i'm concerned.

Listen dax, if you want to do the most without wasting time, level yourself up and go quest when you have the time or it goes along with your leveling. Its a lot easier and faster to do a quest when you out level it. As for the "staying in front thing", go at your own pace, and never expect your team to back you up. If you see something you think you can't handle on your own, dont go charging in and expect the back up to save you, unless you know they can handle it (aka a higher level player). Even if you got an Elf that likes healing, most things that are capable of killing you, will kill you even if you get healed, pots will save you from death, not a elf. A properly equiped 45 ursan can solo anything in this game, and its best to get that mentality in your head. This game is not built around team work, its in fact designed so players who like to play alone can do so. And when you do need help at the lower levels, its in fact hard to find people of low level to play with.

Yea there is something to be said for playing through the game by fully completing one map pack at a time, but i think its a lot more fun to be max level and experiencing the newest content. Plus its gonna take a very long time to get yourself the best gear for a warrior, and buying it is very expensive at level 45. You may as well get the level part out of the way as quickly as possible.

Raxie
09-24-2010, 02:45 AM
ok, i don't agree with you at all. this game is ALL ABOUT TEAMWORK. we don't need another mynas noob getting power leveled, not knowing anything about the game. it won't take long to get the best gear for a warrior and won't take that long. by the time he is level 45, there is a high chance that ao3 would have come out by then. when ao3 does come out all level 45 gear will be very cheap.
and what do you mean it's hard to find people of low level to play with? are you joking, there are so many low level dungeons and each of them are filled with low level characters.
we don't want people who don't even get the best out of this game and power level only to find out that once they reach the cap level, there is nothing to do. play this game like it's meant to be played; meeting people similar to your level, leveling together and playing through quests. no need to rush anything.

Grankledude
09-24-2010, 04:08 AM
I agree with raxie. Wise words my friend.

KingFu
09-24-2010, 04:20 AM
First, tanks are meant to survive in most battles, even though they can't always. I have noticed many people yelling in town "whats the fastest way to level?" when you shouldn't be worrying about leveling as much as enjoying the game. This game IS about team work, yes, some tanks, including myself, like to run off and solo some places, but in the end, it's all about team work. Tanks usually can't kill anything in the game, unless you use potions, no matter what anyone says *cough*ogrim*cough* tanks can't solo ANYTHING. Anyone will have trouble with something in this game, whether it be pvp, some tough bosses (in our time it was frogmar;)) you can overcome it with a well build team.

You can't really be "bad" at this game, you can be not the best player, but you can't really be bad at the whole game in general. You can be bad at parts of the game, but nope. Not the whole thing;)

Gear shouldn't be too vital to you, anything that drops should do if it's for your spec (int dex or str) pinks are generally more powerful than most oranges and greens at low levels, but it isn't that important until 35 in my opinion, which if you find loot in skeller, it's pretty easy, leaving you only needing pink gear at level 40 or so.

If you have any the questions feel free to ask.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
O.o long posts.

SlipperyJim
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
ok, i don't agree with you at all. this game is ALL ABOUT TEAMWORK. we don't need another mynas noob getting power leveled, not knowing anything about the game.
QFT. Playing a good Ursan is all about knowing how to tank. It's not just getting to lvl 45 ASAP and then stocking up on pinks. Any schmoe can do that, but it doesn't make him a good player. Since the OP is asking us "how not to be awful," it seems likely that he actually wants to be a good player.

To the OP:
Learn how to Tank. Get up in the mobs' faces and hold aggro as long as you can. Learn to use your skills! Stomp, Beckon, Hell Scream, and Taunt are all potent skills for mob-management. A clever Ursan can keep mobs stunned a lot of the time, which makes them much easier to kill.

Iron Blood and Rage are the must-have Ursan buffs. Learn how to use them effectively ... which basically means that you should trigger them before every boss fight. ;)

Keep an eye on your team mates. If the elves and chickens are getting swarmed, then you should use your Mad Ursan Skeelz to get the mobs off of them. Protect the squishies!

Buy lots of mana potions. Until you can get Thoth gear from the Oasis, your Mana regen will never keep up with your skill usage. :(

The Warrior forum (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Warrior-Class-Discussion) has many suggestions. Browse through the topics at your leisure....

bmc85uk
09-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I think most of you are forgetting that the actual role of tank in this game is broken, given that taunt sucks and aggro switches sporadically.

The hack'n'slash nature of PL makes playing as a true 'tank' too time consuming, actually bottlenecking DPS so a tank can hold aggro efficiently just becomes aassive waste of time.

Azrael
09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Even the game designers have stated that the game is intended to be able to be played solo if thats what the player desires. How can you possibly claim that good tanks and team work are required when the game is easy enough to complete 100% solo (excluding elite pack)?

Dax
09-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Lots of conflicting points of view here I guess it's just better to play the game the way it suites you best personally I'm not A pick up and go player I tend to evenlope myself deep into a gAme once I find it to enjoyable meaning I won't be the casual 20 minutes a day player thanks for your input everyone

Love everyone send food not bombs

Snakespeare
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
First, I agree with Raxie and SlipperyJim.

Second, some want to play solo and some want to play in group. Elite maps are primarily intended for groups of players of the same level as the loot drops, so when you get to that level you won't be able to solo there.

Solo bears don't tank, Team bears, especially on elite maps, do tank.

So, tanks' stats aren't the same as solo bear stats. For a tank, it's 100% on Str because the purpose of a tank is to draw all attacks to himself. 100% Str give you the most Health and the fastest Health regen. Tank bears need Stomp, Taunt, Iron Blood and later Hell Scream, Evade, and Beckon. Then you learn to aim your Stomp to pin the biggest boss against the wall. You don't have to be the one who kills him, just have to pin him down and keep him stunned. You can also draw mobs into a tight circle so the mages can use their area effect spells most efficiently. Don't Stomp a mob until all the area effect spells are thrown. Birds can Wall of Thorn followed by mages Lightning. And don't just Stomp when the mage uses ice Storm. She may be about the Firestorm, and that will do a lot more damage.

Also, party bears have to learn to pull. At level 18 you don't see this as much, but at level 30 you will have places with two ice demons and a boss. If you wait at the edge of their range until one ice demon comes close, then Beckon him, and then get behind and Stomp, you can knock him to the party who ill quickly trash him. That's pulling. But you won't get Beckon for a while. Trying to do it with Taunt can be tricky.

Solo bears want to put extra points (that Azrael mentioned) on Dex because here you ARE looking for Hits, Crits, and DPS. The solo bear Stomps a lot more, and also uses the slashes a lot. Get a good sword that is fast and Stomp to give yourself room to swing a cat. Then as you start the attack, hit each of the three slashes. That will really take down their health.

Definitely keep levelling in the maps that were created for the level you are playing. You can get a pink sword either from a drop from Brom Dandy in Balefort IV or V. Otherwise, consider that tanks use a weapon with the highest max damage but solo bears use weapons with the highest DPS or fastest speed, generally. That dark battlesword from the plat store may be all you need, if you're a tank.