PDA

View Full Version : Can pvp build be used in PvE for sorcerers?

Cronaldo777
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Any ideas?Thanks

Energizeric
01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
I haven't changed my build for PvP. I still use the same build I had before PvP was released. Yes, that means I don't have shield skill, but I didn't want it anyway. I just hope they make it a little more balanced.

Cronaldo777
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Alright.Thanks a lot!

JuiceBox
01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
I use a pvp build for pve.
Life giver is a very great skill, but it's not a necessity.
All classes have the ability to heal, don't feel it's a job only expected from mages.
A stack of 100potions costs about 1350gold. One rare elite banded chest can buy you just under 1000potions.
Manage your aggro better and be more aware of your positioning and your skill abilities. You'll find u don't need life giver.

Energizeric
01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
However, I'm pretty sure mages are the only class who can replenish mana. If you run with a rogue, it makes a good team, you heal them and replenish their mana, and they do the big killing. And if you hang back and fire your skills off while they attack at close range, you will get some kills as well with little risk of dying. It's not a 100% ideal way of playing, but until they release an update with better balances among the classes, this is the best strategy in my opinion.

Haowesie
01-27-2013, 09:17 PM
I've been testing a hybrid build, that is I have five skills of which I switch them whenever I do CTF or PVE. So far, it's ok. I'm not doing to bad in CTF, I can still solo some warriors or rogues (obviously, not all). I tested WT4 where my average time to clear the whole map including boss is around 7 mins using PVE setup. Using the CTF setup, the time clear went up a little bit over 10mins.

For CTF, I have Lightning, fireball, Frost and lifegiver. For PVE, I sometimes swap the lightning for timeshift, or remove Lifegiver and just use all DMG skills -- this obviously require more potion usage.

The set up, is not too bad since the CTF build is ok for PVE, I might go back to just CTF build.

Linkincena
01-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Use shield , frost, gale and fire.. best for both

Cronaldo777
01-28-2013, 05:08 AM
@Juice Box when u say use all damage skills,the amount of potions one will have to use will increase rite?Amount Of deaths also.May I know your death record for PVE? @ Energizeric what's ur build?

Energizeric
01-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Fire, Lightning, Frost, Heal

Frost isn't very useful in PvP, but it's the best skill I got for PvE so I keep it.

Cronaldo777
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
@ Energezric all your 4 skills 5/5?

Energizeric
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
@ Energezric all your 4 skills 5/5?

Nope, Lightning -3 (don't use any of the charged upgrades) and Frost -4 (don't use the one that makes the ice sheet on the ground)

Fireball and Heal are both 5

I got the rest in INT passive.

Cronaldo777
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks a lot Energezric. Mind if I ask why u didn't use timeshift or gale? I tot Timeshift is very gd esp PvE?

Energizeric
01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks a lot Energezric. Mind if I ask why u didn't use timeshift or gale? I tot Timeshift is very gd esp PvE?

I tried both of those and decided I preferred frost instead. But now with PvP perhaps Time would be better. But I'm hoping they still enable some sort of slowing effect with Frost.

JuiceBox
01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
@Juice Box when u say use all damage skills,the amount of potions one will have to use will increase rite?Amount Of deaths also.May I know your death record for PVE? @ Energizeric what's ur build?

Not necessarily. I find I'm using less potions actually, as I am not trying to make it my mission to nuke everything at high speed. And I'm utilising my normal attacks more, which is surprisingly powerful as I've always spammed skills with very short cool downs.

When I did have heal, I was less concerned of positioning and just tried to heal through damages and supplemented it with potions.

I'm at about 860 deaths and 32000 kills in pve. But take note I don't care about my ratio and JuiceBox is my first char where I did most of my learning and build experimentation from. In pve I'm just concerned that I'm making more gold than I'm spending gold on pots.

Cronaldo777
01-30-2013, 03:00 AM
@JuiceBox ok I got your pt:) may I know your build which u use for both pvp and PvE?Tks

Cronaldo777
01-30-2013, 09:12 AM
@ Energezric and Juicebox I have sent the friend request to you guys. Please accept it. Thanks.My IGN is Jackwilshere:)

JuiceBox
01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
@JuiceBox ok I got your pt:) may I know your build which u use for both pvp and PvE?Tks

You may want to send your friend invite again, cause I didn't know you were going to send me one. I usually don't add anyone under lvl 21 that I don't know. Sorry :-)

My PvP/PvE build:

Shield 5/5
Fire 5/5
Lightning 5/5
Gale 5/5

Without a pet I'm at 246 DPS.
So I didn't think it was necessary to invest in INT passive.

I figure, I want more utility than just pure damage for my survivable. At 280 DPS we cannot even one shot a rogue with lightning.

Mages do rely on their combos, so more skills = more options and firepower.

I prefer gale instead of frost for then additional knock back and speed boost. Frost is powerful with a short cool down, but a slowed rogue/warrior can still fight back.

Cronaldo777
01-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Ok thanks a lot Juicebox! Appreciate it. I will send the friend request again then. May I know what you mean by utility and 'can't even shoot a rogue'?Fo u experience difficulty in elite maps with your build?

JuiceBox
01-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Ok thanks a lot Juicebox! Appreciate it. I will send the friend request again then. May I know what you mean by utility and 'can't even shoot a rogue'?Fo u experience difficulty in elite maps with your build?

What I mean by utility is the extra effects you can get when investing in a skill.

For example some people only invest in 3/5 of lightning just to get the extra damage so they can use leftover points towards the INT passives.

And in pvp a rogue has the capability to kill us mages with one shot, even though I have the top gear. Mages on the other hand can have the top damage around 280 and use their most damaging skill lightning and will not be able to kill a rogue.

I only do elite maps.

JuiceBox
01-31-2013, 06:10 AM
My favorite pve build though is:

Shield 5/5
Life giver 5/5
Frost 5/5
Lightning 5/5

Cronaldo777
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Oh I see:)So for PvE do u use ur favorite build which include heal or the other one?

JuiceBox
01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh I see:)So for PvE do u use ur favorite build which include heal or the other one?

The PvE build was my previous build before pvp came out.

I wanted to keep it as my pvp build too but frost is not a great primary spell as it does not freeze in pvp. Some say it does, but it happens rarely.

I can't afford to respec every time I want to pvp or pve. So I had to learn how to use my pvp build for running elites.

I learned not to rely on life giver. I tried switching back once and found that I rarely had to use life giver. Also that its not my responsibility to keep everyone's health or mana up in a pick up group.

Sounds selfish, but each class can spec their own heal skill. And of course having heal will make the runs safer.

And if you control the mobs better then healing will be very manageable with a potion here and there.

If you want heal I suggest another build.

There are successful pvp builds with heal. I personally have a challenge killing a Mage with heal.
As the beefy ones also have shield and can outlast my bursts and heal themselves to full once. Where I would be at half health with no more shield.

Cronaldo777
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
So what heal build could u suggest?Should I use a heal build or ur build with no heal?Because u said having heals make runs faster.But on the other hand u said,u rarely use it.

JuiceBox
02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
So what heal build could u suggest?Should I use a heal build or ur build with no heal?Because u said having heals make runs faster.But on the other hand u said,u rarely use it.

Lifegiver allows runs to go smoother and faster because it allows your group to move from mob to mob without much downtime. Warriors and rogues will love you as it allows them to spam their skills.

As for what build is best for you, only you would know what feels right for your style of play.
My build may work well for me, because I spent some time experimenting on what I like and what I want to achieve.

I dont have a battle tested PvP build with heal that I like. Maybe someone else may have a suggestion.

I do have experience fighting mages with heal and they can be a pain.

Cronaldo777
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok sorry for asking too many questions.Thanks for your time:)I think I will go with your build which include shield:)Even with the better update on frost on 1st Feb 2013,Frost is still not useful right?Tks

JuiceBox
02-02-2013, 05:56 AM
Ok sorry for asking too many questions.Thanks for your time:)I think I will go with your build which include shield:)Even with the better update on frost on 1st Feb 2013,Frost is still not useful right?Tks

No its fine to ask questions. :-) and I don't mind answering. But the best answer for your questions is to try it for yourself.

Frost still doesn't freeze, but it slows all the time.

Cronaldo777
02-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Ok thanks again.Any ideas whats the best armor and helmet for sorcerer?N what r u using now?Tks

JuiceBox
02-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Ok thanks again.Any ideas whats the best armor and helmet for sorcerer?N what r u using now?Tks

I'm using demonlord security.

You may also want to look at demonologist and winter land if u have a budget. As the stats are very similar.

Cronaldo777
02-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Ok sure. With the upcoming update in Feb(lvl cap raise) ,what are the changes that you will make in ur skill build?

JuiceBox
02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Ok sure. With the upcoming update in Feb(lvl cap raise) ,what are the changes that you will make in ur skill build?

I don't know. Maybe everything.

The build I showed you is not the only build and there is no best build.

I'm using this build as it is fun for me. Tomorrow I may want another flavor.

But if you want to go along with the theme of the build. There are no more rooms for skills so I would invest in passives.

Int passive, crit passive, and str passive are all viable depending on what you want to achieve.

JuiceBox
02-03-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't know. Maybe everything.

The build I showed you is not the only build and there is no best build.

I'm using this build as it is fun for me. Tomorrow I may want another flavor.

But if you want to go along with the theme of the build. There are no more rooms for skills so I would invest in passives.

Int passive, crit passive, and str passive are all viable depending on what you want to achieve.

My purpose for answering this thread is not to tell you how to play. But show you other ways you can play.

That's why I don't like giving definitive answers. You need to figure out for yourself what suits you.

And I'm not stuck in one style either. If guild pvp is implemented or ability to bring your own teams. I may want to go support and heal would be something I will try to fit in. Right now I'm playing more for myself as ctf teams are so random.

Cronaldo777
02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Ok Thanks