PDA

View Full Version : The PvP Tank?

Heiki
01-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Okay I'm less than satisfied with my "killing power" in PvP so was thinking of speccing for survivability and team support.

How about going full on support:

- sky for the stun
- HoR for the heal,
- Rally cry for armor
- Vengeful to avoid mana issues

Weapon should still be a 2 hander to give off the illusion you are squishy.

Any comments? Anyone tested this?

I'm still expecting rogues to 2 shot me sadly...

Destructible
01-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Rogues will always remain the fastest killers. Even though I've never tried it, my friends have used builds which prioritize dodge instead of armor, and it turned out pretty well. So my advice is, instead of focusing on armor as your main stat, focus your gear and skill builds more into dodge.

A whopping 11%++ dodge just from gear alone can atone for a lot of dodges of Rogue's damage. Search the Auction for dodge gear (usually "Agile" or the Heroic/Villainous items, though they offer a pitiful amount to other stats), and just use your current skill build.

Although it isn't really what one calls a 'raw tank', this build equals or even surpasses a tank build in terms of survivability. Don't rage at me if my build doesn't suit anyone. You play your way, i play mine. :) Good luck!

Heiki
01-30-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the input Destructible.

I do have some dodge gear (mainly because its cheaper than pure armor) but im not sure just how far i should push the dodge-hunting. Should i buy dodge trinkets?

I certainly dont have 11%, im more at 9% but ive got very little dex.

Cero
01-30-2013, 04:45 AM
:) i planned to use this build for a ctf tournament(if someone will host).
though i havent realy tested it but thought of some build and item structure. so far i thought of using demonlord of grace set which can boost dodge and getting the best ring and pendant(str dex/int). using watch sword&shield item that has a dodge proc.

surely you wont get any much kills but KS. i personaly think this is for support.

Collapsorr
01-30-2013, 05:56 AM
You should also get shadowrealm blade of fatality. It's only 38.3 DPS which is awful compared to mighty vorp of assault (51.2 DPS) on same lvl (21). But shadowrealm reduces incoming damage by 50% adds 24 str, 6 dex and 1.69% crit.

Gassyllama
01-30-2013, 06:21 AM
If you are going purely for pvp tanking you might as well put Jug in for SS. Ive tried this build and I did not think it was very fun, it just maximizes your survivablility and give you 0 kills.

Jackyll
01-30-2013, 06:51 AM
best stills to use are HoR, skyward, windmill and vengful. gotta get your timing down on when to use these skills to stay alive and still pound on people. also rouges are fast killers due to high crit and dps so no way warriors can match that. best thing to do is not let them kite you i see a lot of people falling for this. so when they run away either close the gap with skyward or change direction/turn a corner better to let them go or better yet kite them, than add another death to your stats.

Collapsorr
01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I made respec on my war recently and now I'm able to land a lot of kills in PvP match if my team is not losing especially if I'm 1vs1 with rogue which is the easiest character for me to kill.
Skills that i use:
- Skyward Smash 3/5 (add damage, 25% stun)
- Windmill 5/5
- Vengeful Blood 5/5
- Horn of Renew 3/5 (increased duration, shield)
- Might 4/5 (passive)
I haven't added any stat points to int. I went pure str and i never run out of mana thanks to vengeful.
With mighty vorp of assault and charged vengeful i have 149.3 DPS which is not that bad and it can kill any rogue or mage within seconds.
Gear:
- Mighty Vorpal Sword of Assault (lvl 21)
- Mighty Berserker Helmet of Grace (lvl 20)
- Mighty Juggernaut Armor of Savvy (lvl 21)
- Legend Band of Potency (lvl 20)
- Glowstone Brooch of Potency (lvl 20)

Skill combination:
When i see lonely rogue i quickly charge vengeful. Then i use charged skyward for a chance to stun and charged/uncharged windmill. If rogue's not dead yet i do another skyward. If I drop under 30% of my health I use horn.

With this build you will win 90% of 1vs1 duels with rogues.

Heiki
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Jackyll, that's the build I'm using currently. I just find I don't do much except softening squishies for rogues to finish them off then die from some aim shot crit. (exaggeration, of course i can kill a rogue 1vs1 and undergeared players).

Gassy, yea i would guess i wouldn't kill much but it's a change of pace from getting a kill every 2 deaths. Or maybe i'll just stop pvp for a while and lvl to 21.

csyui
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
this build is good for running flags

Destructible
01-31-2013, 12:50 AM
:)
surely you wont get any much kills but KS. i personaly think this is for support.

Yep :) Heiki mentioned a tank build, and dodge was the best alternative i could think of. It certainly isn't going to get much kills, though.

Heiki
01-31-2013, 01:39 AM
I haven't tested it but if pvp stays the way it is i will probably go full support, could be a fun change of pace. I hope with the expansion we will get more than 4 skill slots so that we can be a bit more creative in our playstyles.

Destructible
01-31-2013, 01:50 AM
I haven't tested it but if pvp stays the way it is i will probably go full support, could be a fun change of pace. I hope with the expansion we will get more than 4 skill slots so that we can be a bit more creative in our playstyles.

Hmmm if you like playing support, maybe you could consider a mage also. :)

Heiki
01-31-2013, 03:51 AM
I am, i actually have a lvl 16 mage doing the best out of all my other characters in PvP (as in best K/D ratio) and rogues love me. The survivability is not quite there though for a pure support class.
I can solo warriors and rogues no problem though.

Zampler
01-31-2013, 04:20 AM
PVP Tank....i want pain please hit me hard....!!!

marshmallow
02-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Everyone's aiming for the K/D stats. Too bad, this game does not encourages real team play.
So, kill, run, kill, run..

Heiki
02-06-2013, 01:58 AM
I agree the K/D ratio kills all possible teamplay.

Hroovitnir
02-06-2013, 05:15 AM
I have read prob 100+ separate posts on PvP Warrior builds and I am the ONLY one rocking my build. I do not have a great K/D yet as I was tweaking a specific build, but now that I have I rock faces. I have 4.3k HP buffed and not even the best gear. There are much better swords than Vorpal for instance and so many of you say you use it like you end gamed it. People don't pay attention to stats or dmg multipliers or how other stats assist other stats. Read up on the math, it helps. I have NEVER gotten 2 or 3 shot from a rouge or mage. If they want me dead they had better be willing to beat on me and survive me beating back and I do a fair amount of dmg. I have had this build for a few days now after what I think is perfecting it and I am doing very well. Now I need DL Grace set. Lulz @ that since its like 800k.

Hroovitnir
02-06-2013, 05:16 AM
On another note does anyone know what buffs Call to Arms from Rally Cry gives you ?

Heiki
02-07-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm trying a "Berserker" build at the moment featuring Juggernaut. Maybe this is what you are using Hroovitnir?

It's unconventional and quite fun, you can really stay alive longer with the multiple heals from Jugg when you are focused.

Have to test more to adapt myself to having lost HoR but so far, quite powerful.

I'm not sure what kind of weapon you are talking about Hroovitnir, I have Watch sword and I can't really find better damage than this. The Shadowrealm blade is ok but the proc rate is too low in my opinion.

inkredible
02-11-2013, 07:01 PM
With my specs i could kill rogues in 2 seconds no problem, different people different builds right
some people boost up their dodge too what so ever but im more of a damage/ str guy, faster u kill em, less u deal with them
with my combos rogues and mages dont last at all. Vengeful and horn is definitely is a must
some people prefer windmill / smash, and some smash/ chest splitter since windmill takes forever to load.

Heiki
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Windmill and CS have the same charge time. Only you can actually tap CS since its cooldown is short. It's worse to load CS vs Windmill actually as for a single charge WM gives you 3 hits while CS gives you only 1.