PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about unjailbreaking

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-24-2010, 09:58 PM
You can go to jail if police find out your idevice is jail broken

Also, my iPad would be alot slower and have less battery power if it is jail broken

Please guys, tell me what you think

Raxie
09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
you wont go to jail... and also, how the heck would the police find out your idevice is jailbroken? more than a million people have jailbroken their idevice(s)... trust me you won't get caught. the police wouldn't even give a damn, they have lots of murder cases on their hands.
also, an unjailbroken ipad isn't slower and has the same battery power as a jailbroken one.
don't exaggerate; you won't go to jail. maybe pay a fine but definitely not go to jail. stop worrying; you'll get a lot of wrinkles when you are older.

FluffNStuff
09-24-2010, 10:41 PM
First off, Jailbreaking is the term, UnJailbreaking would be restoring it to factory default. And Jailbreaking is now 100% legal, but it may void your warranty ... except you can just restore it back to factory default if something goes wrong.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-24-2010, 10:44 PM
you wont go to jail... and also, how the heck would the police find out your idevice is jailbroken? more than a million people have jailbroken their idevice(s)... trust me you won't get caught. the police wouldn't even give a damn, they have lots of murder cases on their hands.
also, an unjailbroken ipad isn't slower and has the same battery power as a jailbroken one.
don't exaggerate; you won't go to jail. maybe pay a fine but definitely not go to jail. stop worrying; you'll get a lot of wrinkles when you are older.

Are you serious??

Whew! And fluff, what happens to the warranty?

Raxie
09-24-2010, 11:45 PM
serious about what?
but yes, if your idevice is broken and it is jailbroken, they won't fix it for you. if it is broken, remember to unjailbreak it before going to fix it.

KingFu
09-25-2010, 01:06 AM
When you jailbreak, you're warranty is voided, if you have a jail broken device, apple won't touch it. By the way, jailbreaking isn't illegal, although apple would like to make it be illegal, if it were illegal they would shut down sights that allow you to jailbreak your device. Also, the iPad has HARDLY a battery life different, like almost unnoticeable from what I heard. I would unjail break it, some third party apps on cydia can steal your UDID, like what happened to goat, which will give the person access to everything, and when PL bans, FYI, they ban your UDID, which is VERY hard to change. The likelihood of that happening is slow, but Simeon third party apps aren't trustworthy.

Vyvin
09-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Omg! Jailbreaking is uber kwl!
1. Jailbreaking is not illegal.
2. Jailbreaking will not eat ur battery.
3. Jailbreaking will not ever kill ur iDev
4. Jailbreaking is...

The only reason apple says you can't jb is because cydia/rock make money on themes and app addons...
Apple is a selfish company!
/Vyvin

Vyvin
09-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Sry dp
@Md I can change my UDID! UDIDfaker... Sinfuliphonerepo!
/Vyvin

Arterra
09-25-2010, 09:35 AM
LL, there is a program called supercharge, that even INCREASES BATTERY and memory...
you can do so much more with the device this way.

I was JB'd but got a accidental upgrade... so now stuck un-JB'd T.T I WANT MY GAMEBOY EMULATOR BACK!!! i could go play pokemon... lool

Pleasure_Pirate
09-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Um.. You can't go to jail for jailbreaking your iPad, because you own it. As long as you're not redistributing the Apple OS, or downloading cracked apps/music, you can't get in trouble.
On the battery note, I don't see much of a difference. Themes significantly reduce battery life, so either turn off the theme or get a dark one (black light takes less energy to make than white light).
I am jailbroken mostly for the Rock/Cydia apps and general customization. I only download cracked apps if there's not a lite version, then I buy it if I like it.

Pleasure_Pirate
09-25-2010, 10:01 AM
When you jailbreak, you're warranty is voided, if you have a jail broken device, apple won't touch it. By the way, jailbreaking isn't illegal, although apple would like to make it be illegal, if it were illegal they would shut down sights that allow you to jailbreak your device. Also, the iPad has HARDLY a battery life different, like almost unnoticeable from what I heard. I would unjail break it, some third party apps on cydia can steal your UDID, like what happened to goat, which will give the person access to everything, and when PL bans, FYI, they ban your UDID, which is VERY hard to change. The likelihood of that happening is slow, but Simeon third party apps aren't trustworthy.

Not true. You can restore the firmware to the Apple one, and they can never tell that it was jailbroken. Also, a UDID is ridiculously easy to change. IP bans are a lot more undesirable than UDID bans.

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm so confused now :(

Should I unjailbroken it? Because I don't want my UDID to change at all

Or should I leave it be? Please answer :(!

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-25-2010, 10:26 AM
What if I use installous? Is that bad? Should I unjailbreak because of that?

Installous is some app that let's me get any app free from the iTunes store. Can THAT change my UDID?

Pleasure_Pirate
09-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Google how to use mobile terminal to change your root password.
As for installous, downloading cracked apps from there is illegal, and although you probably won't get caught, it's better to pay devs for their apps anyhow. While someone could technically place a dummy file to change your UDID under another apps name in installous, the percentage is probably almost unimaginably small, and they would be removed rather quickly. You don't need to unjailbreak because of Installous. I.e: If you have the program, but don't download any paid apps using it you're not breaking the law.
Anyhow, secure your iPad by changing the root password, and you'll be pretty much unhackable. Any attacker not within bluetooth range would have a pretty hard time getting around that.

flaimdude
09-25-2010, 10:45 AM
ROFL. I dunno who told you that, but they're nuts. Congress actually passed a law recently saying that it is COMPLETELY LEGAL for you to jailbreak your device. :) Sure, it's voids your warranty, but if you wait until that runs out then you're good. (you can also always restore to make it unjailbroken and the peeps at apple can't tell if it ever was)

EDIT: In regards to downloading pirated apps: yes, that is illegal. No, you're not gonna get caught. There are a ton of people out there who pirate apps and I'm sure that the police have bigger things to deal with than teens getting $1 apps for free.

Arterra
09-25-2010, 10:49 AM
you could stay JB'd and just get rid of everything. that way, if you changed you root password, yur safe.

Vyvin
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Lol In cydia save SHSH, before you restore!
/Vyvin

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Umm, how do I use mobile terminal?

PhatNinja
09-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Jailbreaking is legal!!! But it still voids you warranty if apple find out, so if you ever bring it to the apple store to replace it remember to restore it to factory settings for OR just use Cydia apps like "categories" to hide cydia and make it look like it never was jailbroken!

Edit: YES installous is illegal!!! But who has to know :p

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-25-2010, 12:44 PM
oh my god my iPad is dieing for some reason

literally dieing...not in battery power, I mean the screen won't come up. it just shows the apple logo. thats it.

vyvin tricked me D:

oh well, I am to blame. I can just restore it....

LIGHTNINGLORD67
09-25-2010, 12:52 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

all my apps are gone!!!!!!!!!!

even PL D:

Arterra
09-25-2010, 05:47 PM
? what. happened.