PDA

View Full Version : Remember: It is rude to rush a public map

Snakespeare
09-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Some things must be said. Some people apparently need it said. You would think it needn't be said.

It's rude to rush a public map.

I've seen it twice in the last 4 hours: level 45s in low levels rushing the public maps. Folks, when you see this, stop and say that it is rude. Be nice, but explain it. Level 45s have to behave as guest in public places. Being level 45 does not give them the right to behave likes boors. It doesn't come with any special responsibilities either. Standard courtesy is all anyone asks. And if someone is being discourteous, and it's not anything the devs can object to, then we must speak.

Maybe they're young and simply haven't learned about simple courtesy. So speak out.

OK, back to happy gaming. :)

haroldiv
09-25-2010, 12:30 PM
It's even ruder for low lvls 1-25 ish to join those games IMO. I have seen this a lot recently. Most of the time it's a lvl 45 on an alt. They barely help at all on the normal bad guys and either die instantly at the boss, rush in or stay back.

Either way they are forcing u to power level them and wasting space that could be used by a higher lvl friend. It wasnt as bad with respawning lvls. Now u have to time the dungeon creation perfectly with ur group standing outside the grate or noobs follow u in :(

Pleasure_Pirate
09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
IMO the high levels joining and rushing is a lot more annoying than the leeches. At least with the leeches it's fun to continually set them up to gain aggro so they die.
However, a 45 joining and suddenly rushing ahead.. Later when the lowers clear the trash mobs and get to the boss, and find it gone.. Really dumb. Just make your own game if you wanna rush.

Survivorfan
09-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Snakespeare, I only want to say this. It's quicker then clearing the whole map, plus you finished the quest. I am guilty of this but I dont do it on public games. I make my own games. Now training my next character, I have seen this happen. It's pretty much like kiting the boss, but on a much larger scale, especially if the lower lvls follow. My first word of advice to lower lvls is tell them or just boot them if ur the game host. Don't just let it happen. My next word of advice is, if he doesn't listen, don't follow. They will attract way to much attention and they will put it on your shoulders. But if this didn't happen, this thread wouldn't be needed. HIGHER LVLS, DONT RUSH PUBLIC GAMES. MAKE YOUR OWN GAME.

Survivorfan

TwinkTastical
09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Hmm.. And Its PUBLIC for instance Anyone can use public drinking fountains, Public librarys, Public Urinals etc
What if someone is taking a crap in a public restroom? and is makin obnoxious noises? Do u tell them to stop? Ofc not! Because You HATE akward positions... is he rude? no, he just needs to Eat less.

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I hate this lv45 rushing boss too. In the new hidden frozen map I was playing on my lv30 pally, and I had to tell level 45s to not rush a couple times cause it's rude. They just said "whaaauuut, derdader whyyyyy? I'm shtuupid..." basically. Though they did end up killing the enemies too instead of just boss.

Cascade
09-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for letting us know snake :) And I totally agree if you want to rush a low lvl map make your own locked game.

Banned
09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Snake, I really like you, but this is kinda overdoing it. I play videogames to escape the chains of real world expectiations. I play videogames to feel like a badass mo-fo' that can do whatever the hell he wants. I DON'T play videogames to have people tell me how I should act in a virtual environment. If I wanna run into a dungeon, rush to the boss, and rape it with my sexy shiv before any of the lowbies partying with me get there, I WILL DO SO. I'll be polite at work, I'll be polite at the store, I'll be polite on the bus, BUT I WILL NOT BE POLITE IN A VIDEOGAME. I'm gonna keep running around like Samuel L. Jackson's fro', destroying every single thing that moves. Even if some guy that's controlling a virtual avatar finds it "rude".

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I'd rather not get into an argument with someone I find to be awesome possum (As many of you know, I go all out), but I felt that I needed to post my feelings towards this. So don't take it personal.

Oh, and I haven't had a JT Ice X-bow drop for me yet, but a Shivering Ice X-bow did (way better stats). So if you want that, hit me up in-game.

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Lol no wonder "banned" is your motto, how many times have you been banned for something? Lol

Banned
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Lol no wonder "banned" is your motto, how many times have you been banned for something? Lol

"Banned" is my motto? I wasn't even aware.

FluffNStuff
09-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Snake, I really like you, but this is kinda overdoing it. I play videogames to escape the chains of real world expectiations. I play videogames to feel like a badass mo-fo' that can do whatever the hell he wants. I DON'T play videogames to have people tell me how I should act in a virtual environment. If I wanna run into a dungeon, rush to the boss, and rape it with my sexy shiv before any of the lowbies partying with me get there, I WILL DO SO. I'll be polite at work, I'll be polite at the store, I'll be polite on the bus, BUT I WILL NOT BE POLITE IN A VIDEOGAME. I'm gonna keep running around like Samuel L. Jackson's fro', destroying every single thing that moves. Even if some guy that's controlling a virtual avatar finds it "rude".

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I'd rather not get into an argument with someone I find to be awesome possum (As many of you know, I go all out), but I felt that I needed to post my feelings towards this. So don't take it personal.

Oh, and I haven't had a JT Ice X-bow drop for me yet, but a Shivering Ice X-bow did (way better stats). So if you want that, hit me up in-game.

As FluffNStuff I will second this, HunnyHunter will Put it up for a vote, HunnyTanker will ratify it and HunnySniper will enact it. So no, you are not the only one!

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
"Banned" is my motto? I wasn't even aware.

It's in yr name

Banned
09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
It's in yr name

It's not "in" my name. It IS my name.

And name/motto, two totally different things. ;)

vulgarstrike
09-25-2010, 03:39 PM
yeah i must admit I'm too modern and young to care about my etiquette in a video game.

TwinkTastical
09-25-2010, 04:10 PM
It's not "in" my name. It IS my name.

And name/motto, two totally different things. ;)

+1

I second the long paragraph :)

regie831
09-25-2010, 05:21 PM
hey banned..nicely said..and by the way you're not the only one

Snakespeare
09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I am confused. How could anyone possibly disagree? A level 45 goes through a magic portal in Dark Forest and runs past the mobs to the boss, kills it and leaves. How is this not rude?

I am not talking about that other stuff.

Magic portals lead to public amps. Rushing in public maps is rude.

In public, please use manners. If it makes you not like me that I point this out, then so be it. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
As many of yous have said "I can do whatever I want in a videogame cause I'm tired of my nonlife, blahblah" this is true(following the terms of service of course). However the original post was about how "rude" it is to rush and kill boss on a public map. Just because you can do what you want doesn't make it any less rude to all dem poor noobers.

Banned
09-25-2010, 06:20 PM
As many of yous have said "I can do whatever I want in a videogame cause I'm tired of my nonlife, blahblah" this is true(following the terms of service of course). However the original post was about how "rude" it is to rush and kill boss on a public map. Just because you can do what you want doesn't make it any less rude to all dem poor noobers.

Well, my argument was mainly stating how etiquette, in my opinion, doesn't even exist/matter when we are talking about the physical actions of someone in a virtual environment.

To me, claiming that something like that is "rude", is just as (for lack of a better word) stupid as when someone says that kiting is "cowardly".

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, my argument was mainly stating how etiquette, in my opinion, doesn't even exist/matter when we are talking about the physical actions of someone in a virtual environment.

To me, claiming that something like that is "rude", is just as (for lack of a better word) stupid as when someone says that kiting is "cowardly".

That is a valid point i suppose. Generally I try to stay away from gaming philosophy, just thought I would try my brain on this one.

Azrael
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I am confused. How could anyone possibly disagree? A level 45 goes through a magic portal in Dark Forest and runs past the mobs to the boss, kills it and leaves. How is this not rude?

I am not talking about that other stuff.

Magic portals lead to public amps. Rushing in public maps is rude.

In public, please use manners. If it makes you not like me that I point this out, then so be it. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Magic portals don't lead the public maps, they just spit you out in a map thats already been made and isn't locked, or it creates a new one if there isn't already one. The only public maps are the ones that you can't create yourself, such as the "secret" paths and sewers and sarcophagus etc. Mobs Re-spawn in public maps, and if they aren't re-spawning, your not in a public map.

That being said, ya'll should just be happy that pvp isn't enabled in the public maps... cause if they were i would gang stomp all the lowbies on my way to Murder the boss ten times (cause public map bosses respawn.)
Hell, i'd pour sugar in lowbies gas tanks if i could.

Raxie
09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
and you just think you are so cool.

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 07:52 PM
and you just think you are so cool.

Exactly... In a nutshell

Gaabob
09-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Probably too many paint fumes got to his head lol

Rarefew2
09-25-2010, 08:17 PM
What u mean by public

Snakespeare
09-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Now I am beyond confused. It must be time for me to sit down. People do not make sense to me, never have.

KingFu
09-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Hmm, controversial matter indeed, whether having ettiquate in a game is necissary or not, I think there are times manners are needed, and times they don't matter in a game. As for this situation, I don't think that saying it's "rude" to rush to the boss is the right way of putting it, but I do think its a little on the inconciderate side. Picture yourself as a level 25, just started off on this adventure, and you are almost done clearing the map, when a big bad level 45 comes up, and crushes the boss, and only he gets the loot and the experience goes to a waste, and all you get to clear are the mobs he left behind him. Then, as a level 15 might be frustrated that they did all that work and you cleared the boss without them with full health the whole time, but, you did in a way earn the right to do so. If you leveled, and took the patience to level (outside of power levelers) then you should use your capabilities to clear a boss without ease, and although it might be nicer to make your own game, it isn't a requirement. I don't think being polite is needed in a video game, but if you are outta line, someone better whip you into shape. In my opinion, yes, it would be nice to not join a game and clear the boss, but I don't see how its being rude.

I see banneds point, one reason to play a video game is to break loose from the grip of the outside world, but snake is right, you have to think of others before yourself, because if you don't, you wint think of others place.

vulgarstrike
09-26-2010, 07:38 AM
I understand snaekespeares point, and also banned, but I disregard both because I could hardly give a crap who's more right.

Sled
09-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Wow... just wow.

Eviiedwin
09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Some amount of mutual respect and courtesy is required in any social environment whether virtual or real. You do realize there are real people behind each avatar, correct?

Attitudes such as those displayed in this thread are not uncommon in PL and are in my opinion why the game has gone downhill. I chalk it up to immaturity and false virtual bravado used to compensate for inadequacies in real life.

Banned
09-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Okay, I guess from now on, I'll drink my potions without slurping, carry my bow in a correct manner, and hold open portals for enchantresses. Seriously, it's one thing to go around insulting and degrading people, but rushing to a boss because you don't find mob killing enjoyable? That just doesn't seem rude to me. If you don't like what I'm doing, there's a boot option. USE IT.

Pleasure_Pirate
09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Although Snakespeare has a point, and one that I agree with, I have to say that Banned is correct. If you don't like it, make your own map and boot them. If it's not your map, oh well. People will do what they're gonna do.

Snakespeare
09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Remember, I was not talking about a game you host.

I am talking about the public ones where nobody can boot, the PUBLIC maps.

And Banned, I like you, too. You can slurp all you want. I think we must be talking about slightly different things. :)

Banned
09-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Remember, I was not talking about a game you host.

I am talking about the public ones where nobody can boot, the PUBLIC maps.

And Banned, I like you, too. You can slurp all you want. I think we must be talking about slightly different things. :)

And those were the maps I was originally talking about. But then you mentioned magic portals, which are, like Azrael already stated, user created maps.

Now that we're on the same page, those PUBLIC maps, the ones where nobody can boot, have RESPAWNING BOSSES. So by the time you're finished killing all those mobs, the boss should have already reappeared.

Oh, and also, "The Fridge" is hardly soloable, so that won't be such a great example to use in your counter argument (if you have one).

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 08:19 AM
I have no counter argument to your points which I think are valid, my friend, only this:

You and Azrael are incorrect. Those are NOT user-created maps. Those are PUBLIC. I have started a thred to verify this, but I am absolutely certain that our misunderstanding comes from the fact that you two, and possibly harold, all believe that when you go through a Magic Portal you are making a game of your own. Even if it starts a new game, it is a PUBLIC one, it does NOT say Banned's Game, so it is not user-created. You have no power to boot, therefore it is public.

User-created games can ONLY be made by hosting.

BeardedBear
09-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Ya know, back in my day, when a 45 would come and rush a boss, I would call that a "free-ride" and hang on this coat tails, not taking any damage, and reaping all the exp and drops.

Snake: I agree, it can be rude, but ultimately I don't see this changing. Best to know what kind of people you are dealing with, and work around them. :-)

KingFu
09-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Going through a magic portal I am pretty sure leads you to a user created game, but if there aren't any user created games, it takes you to either a public one, or makes a public one for you, so you can't boot if the portal makes a punily game for you.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I believe this information is technically incorrect.

I have made it as clear as I possibly can. We need to use the same words. But I started a different thread to define those terms. Maybe we can get to the heart of this misunderstanding, and I am certain that it will turn out that I am right. And that many oldies are wrong.

But please, let's discuss that functionality question on that thread and whether it is totally rude to rush a public map in this thread. But first we need to understand that I am talking about maps created by magic portal, not hosted games.

Azrael
09-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Yall are too sensitive... Despite my attempt at humor..

Snakespeare
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
No problem, here, Azrael. Perhaps you're talking about someone else. I have found this discussion civil and interesting. :)

My only issue is your incorrect information, and there is no emotion involved in my correction: Not all magic portal maps respawn, all magic portals only lead to public maps (never, as you said, to maps that others have started). So long as you don't take the attempt to have correct facts here personally, and why would you, then we are all fine. :)

Additionally, you should know that you, banned, Harold and mystical are all under this false impression. (and all four are older players who began before this functionality was added.)

Duke
09-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Regardless of the terminology, if there are level-appropriate players trying to play through a map, if you join it and simply rush to the boss(es), it's petty obnoxious for those players who are trying to play it through normally. If you want to rush an instanced map, create your own, don't join someone else's.

Azrael
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
If so mi stand corrected.. And no, i never go through the magic portal... Nice idea and all but it doesnrt make the game a real mmorpg with dynamic static worlds.

Snakespeare
09-28-2010, 12:07 PM
i never go through the magic portal...

LOL! that is rich!

If you've never been through a Magic Portal, why did you weigh in on this topic, which is solely about rushing when you go through a magic portal?

Azrael
09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
LOL! that is rich!

If you've never been through a Magic Portal, why did you weigh in on this topic, which is solely about rushing when you go through a magic portal?

Obviously i have done it before and choose not to becauae it just lands me in noob pugs in underleveled maps. I use public mini dungeons for multi spawn maps at times. "i never go through" doesnt mean "i have never gone through"

and i wieghed in because if u choose to go to a place where no one can boot and is identical to player made maps then be quiet and deal with happens. Otherwise make your own game.

regie831
09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
This ****'s still going?...pointless arguments..players will just do as they pleased nothing you can do about it...except complain

Banned
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
No problem, here, Azrael. Perhaps you're talking about someone else. I have found this discussion civil and interesting. :)

My only issue is your incorrect information, and there is no emotion involved in my correction: Not all magic portal maps respawn, all magic portals only lead to public maps (never, as you said, to maps that others have started). So long as you don't take the attempt to have correct facts here personally, and why would you, then we are all fine. :)

Additionally, you should know that you, banned, Harold and mystical are all under this false impression. (and all four are older players who began before this functionality was added.)

Well, that's not what's influencing my opinion. No matter what, my view on this topic will never change because I simply don't believe in this form of etiquette when it comes to a videogame. I understand your viewpoint, and it is valid, but I just can't take a videogame seriously enough to attribute rudeness to something as trivial as boss rushing.

So again, I don't believe boss rushing is rude, yo.

Arterra
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
after 5 pages of this argument I shall sum up what I can gleam from my bored, bored eyes:
BUMP no fiar!

just end it. we get that rushing is better off on your own map, it's common sense. those who don't are either doing it on purpose or phailing noobs...

RedRyder
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, that's not what's influencing my opinion. No matter what, my view on this topic will never change because I simply don't believe in this form of etiquette when it comes to a videogame. I understand your viewpoint, and it is valid, but I just can't take a videogame seriously enough to attribute rudeness to something as trivial as boss rushing.

So again, I don't believe boss rushing is rude, yo.

couldnt have said it better myself. etiquette in a video game? lol.do what u must to accomplish w.e it is you want, isnt that what video games follow? as long as youre not scamming anyone of course, do whatever you like. you spent money on this game, so do with the content whatever you want.

its like someone saying, "oh you bought such and such campaign with your money BUT you cant do this that and the third in it"

oh please

SlipperyJim
09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
The world does not need more Forum Drama. Please return to your AO3 wishlist thread-in-progress.... ;)

More seriously, I'm not going to give my opinion on the possible rudeness of boss-rushing. I'm undecided on the subject. However, I am going to give my opinion on trying to enforce game etiquette via the forums: FAIL. If PL is similar to other games, then most players don't bother with the forums. Even if you get 100% of the forum-folks to agree to something, you'll still see the vast majority of PL players doing whatever-it-is that annoys you.

Viable options:
1) Don't let other people harsh your mellow.
2) Host your own games and boot anyone who displeases you.
3) Only play with people you know & like.

Banned
09-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Why do so many people claim that civil debates (because that's what this is, a civil debate) are forum drama or stupid arguments? The opinions being given are perfectly valid and healthy, no one is flaming, and it's perfectly fine to speak your mind on topics you may disagree with.

Snakespeare
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Once again someone FAILS to see the fine line I am drawing. (quote: "host your own games")

I am ONLY talking about boss rushing IN THE MAGIC PORTALS.

Please stay on topic. :)

p.s. This is people chatting. Any drama you think is here is really inside yourself.

jonboy
09-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Your getting emotional :) J/king

Snakespeare
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/1lg028wailing.gif

Raxie
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
i just had a noob level 40 boss rush balefort and when he/she died, all the enemies attacked me and obviously i died in about 2 seconds.
this really pissed me off because i had 3,000 kills with no deaths. now, i have to start all over again because of that stupid level 40.

Snakespeare
09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
A level 40 who can't survive rushing in Balefort? Now that's a noob!

yesIManoob
09-28-2010, 05:04 PM
lol im lvl 38 and can easily survive boss rushing fathom crypts :P

jonboy
09-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Zuraz Shock Lance - 650,000g
Mynas Helm of Isis - 75,000g
Dying in a BC boss rush, priceless.