PDA

View Full Version : Spamin & scamin

Oldcoot
02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I'd like to hear some ideas about this growing problem. Mine is to take player to player trades out of the game. I'm sure I'm not seeing the whole picture that's why I'm posting this. Please don't take this as a chance to flame on me for the infractions in this post. I would like to see this problem resolved. Thanks and much love, the Coot

Suentous PO
02-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Some of the merchers I know make more money with trades outside cs (legally), than with cs, so I could see them not agreeing.
Just a thought.

The Happiness
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Out of the shadows into the spotlight. You are getting brave ;p

I agree with you. I don't think player to player trade is necessary. It's certainly something I never use. Removing it would cut down on spamming for sure and make Balefort a quiet and peaceful town. It would also prevent people from being scammed although if you possess a modicum of common sense, it is rather difficult to be scammed imo.

DocDoBig
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Well what can they improve ? i mean it seriously

1) As you may noticed you have to tap the Confirm Box with the tick in it , at least 2 times
2) There is a second Confirm Window so both parties can agree or disagree in the last second

3) There is already a mute/ignore button

Oldcoot
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Ok good points, I didn't take merchin into account, ( don't want those guys mad) . On to the other, spam is there any other option besides the mute button to slow the aggressive guy and his glyph set, or the 40 to 60% off guy. Lets don't forget the " can I have 5k guy". Edit if I do mute how long does it last?

Samhayne
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Perhaps PL needs to have the quick chat feature taken out, since that is what is used to spam. We didn't include quick chat in AL for that very reason.

FluffNStuff
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Perhaps PL needs to have the quick chat feature taken out, since that is what is used to spam. We didn't include quick chat in AL for that very reason.

Can it be disabled in town only? I know when the random number generator was in the game, it was originally disabled in town and only allowed in dungeon before being removed all together. I ask because 'REV!' would be the one quick chat that players could not ~live~ with out. (Yes, I did go there).

Chickenrunnn
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM

I agree with you. I don't think player to player trade is necessary. It's certainly something I never use. Removing it would cut down on spamming for sure and make Balefort a quiet and peaceful town. It would also prevent people from being scammed although if you possess a modicum of common sense, it is rather difficult to be scammed imo.

Players trade ? useless?

What about giving mana/hp pots? what about in-pve pots items lending? What about selling items without taxes?

TRades are really important, even if many players use it to scam.. That's why you need to be careful of what you're trading because all the players aren't nice.

About the chat feature, you could do this :

If the same sentence composed of 2words+ is exactly repeated more than 5 times in less than 1min30, a 5 minutes mute :)

cookiez
02-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Or make it like 30-120 sec "cooldown". I occasionally say, " B> pinks 100k+! NO Ao or Ice items please! Reasonably discounted!"

I don't wanna hafta type that every time. So maybe like 2 min cooldown

cookiez
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM

-1:(

Oldcoot
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I could live with a cool down, but would it interfere with normal conversation ?

TheDaftness
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM

That thought has merit! However, an enterprising spammer would simply learn to copy/paste on their device... Besides, I love breaking out my old skool/never changed "Hello!" and "Heading to the store" quickchats... so we'd lose a few fun points there!

octavos
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Thats the problem in AL, there is software for chrome that lets you have quick-chat or type for you so they still spam. it still happening...just not as often. so maybe after 3-4 identical chats in succession or in 3 sec intervals..give them a mute XD.

DocDoBig
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
if I do mute how long does it last?

it last forever , until you ''un-mute'' the person by going into your ignore-list

Chopper
02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Disabling quick chat in town might be usefull since it is abused by town spammers.

In dungeons however, i use the "Thanks!" quick chat a lot to thank anyone who revs me when i die. It would be a shame to not have that option.

Multibird
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

(Y)

iRusher
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Copy and paste..

Oldcoot
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM
All of your input has been very helpful for me to get my head around this :)

XghostzX
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM

GREAT IDEA, but only in townes not in PvE or PvP games.

Extreme
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
GREAT IDEA, but only in townes not in PvE or PvP games.

exactly

The Happiness
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Players trade ? useless?

What about giving mana/hp pots? what about in-pve pots items lending? What about selling items without taxes?

TRades are really important, even if many players use it to scam.. That's why you need to be careful of what you're trading because all the players aren't nice.

About the chat feature, you could do this :

If the same sentence composed of 2words+ is exactly repeated more than 5 times in less than 1min30, a 5 minutes mute :)

Fair enough...it's just not a feature of the game that is important to me. I don't trade with ppl except through the CS. If there were no player to player trades there would be no need to spam the same thing over and over. Far too many ppl to mute every single one of them. But, its just my opinion. Didn't want to upset you all!

Pokechmp
02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
I use quick chat to welcome my guild members. Trading is important, too. I think STS did a pretty good job against scammers. Just spam isn't any good, but I don't see it often. A delay for quick chat would be good, as I don't see a reason why someone would need to say something over and over quickly without it being spam. Except for marching, but a delay isn't that bad in marching, considering marchers are the only ones talking a lot of times, so thier messages wont be drowned by the time they can quick chat again

McBain
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
This is why the mute/ignore option exists. If someone is spamming in town, I just add them to my ignore list. Takes two seconds.

Bootdaddy
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
This is why the mute/ignore option exists. If someone is spamming in town, I just add them to my ignore list. Takes two seconds.
Same

Bilaxman
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I could live with a cool down, but would it interfere with normal conversation ?

Perhaps these cool downs could only affect the statements in quick chat?

The Happiness
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
How about having access to CS in guild halls? Then people like myself who do not wish to be troubled by constant begging and spamming can have the option of using the CS without having to stand in Balefort?

Caiahar
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
How about having access to CS in guild halls? Then people like myself who do not wish to be troubled by constant begging and spamming can have the option of using the CS without having to stand in Balefort?

Great idea happy! BUT! There is that one but. Which tier will it be in? What about those people who don't have tier guilds?

AvidLegend
02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
I'd like to hear some ideas about this growing problem. Mine is to take player to player trades out of the game. I'm sure I'm not seeing the whole picture that's why I'm posting this. Please don't take this as a chance to flame on me for the infractions in this post. I would like to see this problem resolved. Thanks and much love, the Coot

Easy fix? Different chat channels... General. Pvp. Merching. Guild. Party. And idk cross game maybe who knows. But this way only people looking for spam will be spammed the majority of the time. Marching is the necessary part of an economy in game. I make most of my money by not spending gold to post in the cs. I can sell at a lower price and still make money. EX: 3 m vanity armor costs like 50k to post. So I can sell for 50k less and make the same amount of money and sell it twice as fast because mine is cheaper than cs.

The Happiness
02-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Great idea happy! BUT! There is that one but. Which tier will it be in? What about those people who don't have tier guilds?

Well as I am already in the minority about trading/peaceful towns, I will stick my neck out and say make it available in Tier 3 guild halls or even make it a purchasable option for a guild hall?

TheDaftness
02-07-2013, 06:16 PM
even make it a purchasable option for a guild hall?

Oooh you said the magic words.. cha-ching!!! Perhaps this might garner some attention with the gods of Alterra =)

And yes that would be soooo sweet!

Shellkaz
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I actually miss the quick chat in AL. A lot of my guild members have interesting &/or funny sayings they use when the welcome a new member to the guild. I would miss being able to welcome a new player to the guild with a quick chat if you took it out of PL. or saying a quick "thanks" for a rev, or even saying "your welcome" after someone thanks me. Those are the things that are in my quick chats.

The Happiness
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
I actually miss the quick chat in AL. A lot of my guild members have interesting &/or funny sayings they use when the welcome a new member to the guild. I would miss being able to welcome a new player to the guild with a quick chat if you took it out of PL. or saying a quick "thanks" for a rev, or even saying "your welcome" after someone thanks me. Those are the things that are in my quick chats.

Yes I agree. I wouldn't want quick chat to go. It's a useful and fun feature if used with respect. I wouldn't want it just to go from towns either as that would just force ppl to spam sales in maps. The idea of different chat channels could work though...provided one could turn off the spam channel.

Suentous PO
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
I'd rather not loose quickchat but then again I'm not annoyed by spammers. I don't often use the mute button either, cuz I'd rather not perma mute someone and then run into them latter in a dungeon and never hear them because they were once annoying at one point.
Also like he access cs from guild, and would pay extra for it. Nice idea that.
Some quickchats never get old like Oldcoot yellin " My hip!" when he dies :)

Oldcoot
02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks PO, that one is always good for a chuckle :)

AHarvey13
02-17-2013, 03:54 AM
So there should be a cooldown for quick chat only but not normal chat? Thats basically what I got out of this.