PDA

View Full Version : Question: Where does Magic Portal take you?

Snakespeare
09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab35/snakespeare1/JoinQuestion.png

Cascade
09-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I believe they take you to a map where you can finish a quest you have.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
So nobody knows?

KingFu
09-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Like I said before, I think they take you to a random user created game, if no games are available, I think they make a game for you but you don't have booting abilities. Lemme test it.

xera
09-27-2010, 08:51 AM
In Soviet Russia...

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
The phrase user-created can refer to many things. I am seeking more specific data. Of the various ways that users can create maps, is it not true that Magic Portal always creates PUBLIC maps, and never ever puts you into someone else's hosted game?

I have already tested this, but people who were here beforemthis functionality was added seem to think it is the same as the old quick play button, and it is not!

KingFu
09-27-2010, 09:31 AM
User created as in someone clicked "Create Game" where someone in the party, or that used to be in the party had booting capabilities.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
I have made that distinction, mystical. I am calling those Hosted Games.

I am not referring to hosted games.

Look at the picture there. It shows that ther are two hosted games, one by me and one by someone whose name I blurred put. I am not talking about those.

I am asking about those games that say the map level on them, which were created by enteringnthe magic portal, and are not hosted, and nobody can boot, and nobody ever could boot.

I think players who started before this functionality was created do not understand it. These are public maps.

If you are looking at is with an iPad, the graphic is cut off and you can't see this distinction.

Every game in this whole game is user created. Know what I mean? :)

Chickdigcookies
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
portal takes you to the "Lowest Quest" you have...

Say you have a quest to be done in Map 4 and another one to be done in Map 5, itll wake you to map 4.

If you have a quest to turn in, the portal wont do anything, you can walk through it as many times as you want.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 01:07 PM
CDC, and anyone, that is not my question. I have tried so hard to clearly state my question. I even put a picture there because words seem to be failing us. I don't know why people don't understand my question.

There are PUBLIC maps and there are HOSTED maps. Hosted maps have a player's name and that player can boot. Public maps are created by entering the Magic Portal or a grate.

Is it not true that Magic Portal ALWAYS takes you to a PUBLIC MAP, or makes a PUBLIC MAP if there is not one already, and NEVER EVER TAKES YOU TO A HOSTED GAME?

FluffNStuff
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Public Map = Respawning (Except for Frost Grate). So enter a portal, kill something, and see if it respawns. Easy enough.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Another misunderstanding. Not all Public Maps respawn. Only the ones Forest Haven respawn, and a few hidden Passages.

The ones depicted in my graphic in the OP do not respawn, but they are public.

Furrawn
09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
CDC, and anyone, that is not my question. I have tried so hard to clearly state my question. I even put a picture there because words seem to be failing us. I don't know why people don't understand my question.

There are PUBLIC maps and there are HOSTED maps. Hosted maps have a player's name and that player can boot. Public maps are created by entering the Magic Portal or a grate.

Is it not true that Magic Portal ALWAYS takes you to a PUBLIC MAP, or makes a PUBLIC MAP if there is not one already, and NEVER EVER TAKES YOU TO A HOSTED GAME?

My impression is that you are right- the portal takes you to a "public" game "hosted" by pocket legends rather than a player. But, I could be wrong. You need a dev to chime in on your question with an irrefutable answer.

Also, I agree with your other thread- we should be considerate in any public game area... Children play this game...

Chickdigcookies
09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
i think i understand...

it does...because in the LE town, there is no public game, but only Portal Generated Host Games. So i would like to think that it does spawn you to a hosted game...unless there is none, then it will generate one for you.

i might be wrong.

Banned
09-27-2010, 04:51 PM
My impression is that you are right- the portal takes you to a "public" game "hosted" by pocket legends rather than a player. But, I could be wrong. You need a dev to chime in on your question with an irrefutable answer.

Also, I agree with your other thread- we should be considerate in any public game area... Children play this game...

Children play this game? I don't see how boss rushing can effect a child's fragile mind in a negative manner. ;)

Cascade
09-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi my name is Cascade and I was emotionally damaged by boss running.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
OK, that is the other thread topic. And that discussion was confined exclusively to rushing in the maps the noobs play in.

Rushing the respawn maps is something I do, too.

But let's argue that in the other thread, please? So we don't get them confused with each other.

This one is about where the various UI items you can activate take you. And I'm sure it's right, but would like PROOF if it's wrong. :)

Cascade
09-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Question- Why do you even care about the magic portals....the main reason is that they take you to a map...which it is sposed to do and you play and have fun. End of story

setec
09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Well son, you see when a mommy portal and a daddy portal love each other ....

Raxie
09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
a baby portal is born.

Snakespeare
09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Question- Why do you even care about the magic portals....the main reason is that they take you to a map...which it is sposed to do and you play and have fun. End of story

It's just a question about software functionality. Several people have given me conflicting opinions on how they function, so I thought, well, that's a perfect topic then. Let's find out?

I believe I am correct, but some older players think it works like the same way Quick Play used to work, putting you into some hosted game.

So, let's find out the truth.

Look at the picture. See those games with no host name? Are they not created solely by going through a Magic Portal? And isn't it true that you can not enter a hosted game by going through the Magic Portal?

And I want to define some terms:
1. I want the term "Hosted" to refer to a game someone starts that has their name on it.
2. I want the word "Public" to refer to games that have no host.
3. I want places that respawn, like Hidden Passages, to be called a third thing altogether, like "Respawn Maps", or something.

Then, when we have all got the same definitions, we will be able to understand each other. :-)

As Confucious said: "If language is incorrect, then what is said is not in accordance with the truth of things."