PDA

View Full Version : Device upgrade help

Lowlyspy
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
So i'm about to upgrade my device from my 2 year old HTC EVO. Currently i'm debating between the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2. Frankly i'm not too sure what the difference is between them, though i think i heard somewhere that the Note 2 is more of a tablet with phone capabilities?

If anyone has experience with either device and can give me some pros and cons between them that would be great

Thanks in advance.

razerfingers
02-08-2013, 01:07 PM
My sister and mom have the S3 amd they like them. I think they're kinda cool but the galaxy note is just too big for a pocket. It would be more of a womans phone you throw it in your purse lol. Well thats what i heard that its too big for your pocket. Never actually seen one though.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

Lady_Pebbles
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
I am actually aiming for one of the two as well..... I've went through each one at a local store; The Note 2 has Jelly Bean OS & S3 is upgradeable to Jelly Bean but has Ice Cream Sandwhich instead (also cheaper by $100). However, I prefer the Note 2; has a better cam, better OS, bigger screen size (go big or go home! lol), and even the pen is optional but a great tool for certain apps (like Draw Something by OMGPOP). For me, it would also help out with my personal stuff (like resume, filling out applications, and getting stuff done without having to squint my eyes behind my glasses lol).

Hope you get the one that suits you best!

EDIT: Oh and I think The Note 2 also has more storage space.

Lowlyspy
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I saw both in target yesterday and the Note 2 didn't look that much bigger than the S3.

Lol well when you put it that way, the Note 2 sounds like it blows to S3 out of the water Thren :P

Lady_Pebbles
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Its a lil bigger but still bigger. XD

EDIT: lmao... Yeah well before you decide, check out some reviews on YouTube. There are some that show the differences and similarities. They even test out their performances with apps, speed, etc. Even the Samsung website for more info on specs.

:)

razerfingers
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I find looking up reviews isnt as great as looking at the demo in the store. Because what he is looking for is diffrent than you so he may say it boows but you may thinks its awesome and get it. Thats why i dont look at reviews unless kts a boxed product that you can't really test then maybe youtube will be helpful.

Lowlyspy
02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Actually i think i'm gonna go with the Note 2. An epic deal from Best Buy made up my mind for me. Mwahaaha, love savin dat moneh :3

razerfingers
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Actually i think i'm gonna go with the Note 2. An epic deal from Best Buy made up my mind for me. Mwahaaha, love savin dat moneh :3

Good deal!

BodMaster
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Not sure what Then has been smoking but I want some.

SGIII user here :p

Cam are both the same 8mp

SGIII = 4.8in, Note II =5.5

OS is optional, 4.0 or 4.1 dependent on country/phone provider.

Both Quadcore.

Both 16GB - MicroSD compatible, though SGIII has 16/32/64 versions if preferred. (Technically opposite to what Then said)

Don't expect to be able to slip your Note II into a jean pocket tho ;) (Being a Phablet and all)

Specs wise all the same, Note being a Phablet has extra battery life.

Only big difference is weight/H+W.

SGIII

Dimension (HxWxD): 70.6 x 136.6 x 8.6mm
Weight: 133g

HD sAMOLED

Note II

Dimension (HxWxD): 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4mm
Weight: 182.5g

AMOLED

That said, I have a Nexus 7 as my tab to use around the house, and my SGIII when I'm out and about. (Though I use my phone more overall)

SGIII; http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android/GT-I9300MBDBTU

Note II; http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/galaxy-note/galaxy-note/GT-N7100RWDBTU

iRusher
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
I am actually aiming for one of the two as well..... I've went through each one at a local store; The Note 2 has Jelly Bean OS & S3 is upgradeable to Jelly Bean but has Ice Cream Sandwhich instead (also cheaper by $100). However, I prefer the Note 2; has a better cam, better OS, bigger screen size (go big or go home! lol), and even the pen is optional but a great tool for certain apps (like Draw Something by OMGPOP). For me, it would also help out with my personal stuff (like resume, filling out applications, and getting stuff done without having to squint my eyes behind my glasses lol).

Hope you get the one that suits you best!

EDIT: Oh and I think The Note 2 also has more storage space.

My fiancé has the note 2. She likes it, as do I. I'd recommend that because the screen is amazing.

The Happiness
02-09-2013, 05:14 AM
I went through the same dilemma when my iPhone 4 died at the same time as my Galaxy tablet. After much debating I got the Note 2...slightly worrying that although the screen was big, it wasn't as big as my 7"tablet. I can honestly say that it was the best thing I ever did. The screen is amazing. The camera is good. Definitely pleased I have left apple behind for android too. The phone is a little on the large size. It doesn't fit in my front pocket but I can have it upright safely in my back pocket. I have ended up purchasing Bluetooth headphones (so I can put the phone in my rucksack and still listen comfortably to music without the potential risk of strangulation ...always a bonus) and also a Bluetooth speaker system so I can listen to music around the home without carrying my phone everywhere (and no, the phone is not THAT heavy....i am just weak :))

It really is a great phone/tablet combo. I have found that I rarely use my laptop now as I can do virtually everything (except banner making) on it. I love playing pl on it...in fact much easier for me now as I have little hands!

The only downside is that because of the fantastically large screen, playing something like pl does drain the battery somewhat. Even while playing with the charger plugged in...I guess a bit like an ipad. Other than that have yet to find anything I don't like or that is not better than my iPhone or tablet.

TheDaftness
02-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Ah, was wondering what your new device was Happi!

As an s3 user, I have never run across someone who has an s3 or note2 and isn't ecstatic about it, esp Apple reformers :) g'luck with it!

Lowlyspy
02-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I went through the same dilemma when my iPhone 4 died at the same time as my Galaxy tablet. After much debating I got the Note 2...slightly worrying that although the screen was big, it wasn't as big as my 7"tablet. I can honestly say that it was the best thing I ever did. The screen is amazing. The camera is good. Definitely pleased I have left apple behind for android too. The phone is a little on the large size. It doesn't fit in my front pocket but I can have it upright safely in my back pocket. I have ended up purchasing Bluetooth headphones (so I can put the phone in my rucksack and still listen comfortably to music without the potential risk of strangulation ...always a bonus) and also a Bluetooth speaker system so I can listen to music around the home without carrying my phone everywhere (and no, the phone is not THAT heavy....i am just weak :))

It really is a great phone/tablet combo. I have found that I rarely use my laptop now as I can do virtually everything (except banner making) on it. I love playing pl on it...in fact much easier for me now as I have little hands!

The only downside is that because of the fantastically large screen, playing something like pl does drain the battery somewhat. Even while playing with the charger plugged in...I guess a bit like an ipad. Other than that have yet to find anything I don't like or that is not better than my iPhone or tablet.

Yea i figured it would be more of a back pocket kind of device, bad thing with those is i'm always apprehensive that i'm gonna sit down and hear a *CRRAAACK* lol.

Battery life is one of my main concerns in deciding, but hey as long as it lasts longer than 45 minutes (max life playing PL or watching videos on my Evo.) i'm cool :). Also contemplated getting the new Evo 4G LTE, then I talked to a Target Employee and apparently it has an internal battery so if the screen freezes I couldn't pop the battery out then put it back in for a quick reset, so that shot down that idea heh.

Lowlyspy
02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
So Sprint screwed me over. Apparently because of the Business plan my mother currently has me a part of, Best Buy can't upgrade my phone. As a result, I have to pay an extra 150$ from what I would have had to pay Best Buy (100$ from 2 gift cards I would have used, and 50$ from...well apprantly the phone can wash my car, do my taxes, and gives happy endings or some other such nonsense that deems it 50$ more than Best Buy price.)

Fuuuuuu, I hate Sprint right now. Damn good thing they're giving me unlimited data.

Zaonabiuibil
02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Also take into account it's easier to steal from a back pocket than a regular front one!

-------------------
Sent using spray paint on the city walls.

Lowlyspy
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Also take into account it's easier to steal from a back pocket than a regular front one!

-------------------

That's why i'm getting the Otter Box with a belt clip ;)

Spyce
02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Galaxy Note 2!
Lebron James uses it :P

Zaonabiuibil
02-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Galaxy Note 2!

Is that under reasons NOT to use it?

(ohioan/cavs fan)

-------------------

Lowlyspy
02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Ordered my Note 2 :D. Was about tree fiddy for the phone and my Otter Box. Damn Lock Ness Sprint-ster. -_-

iRusher
02-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Galaxy Note 2!

Is that under reasons NOT to use it?

(ohioan/cavs fan)

-------------------

I'm also what you are(Ohioan/cavs fan)but I have nothing against LeBum Shames, as I would've went to Miami too. He was carrying the entire team on his back, that would've got boring.

Zaonabiuibil
02-15-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm also what you are(Ohioan/cavs fan)but I have nothing against LeBum Shames, as I would've went to Miami too. He was carrying the entire team on his back, that would've got boring.

It's not the fact that he left, it's the way that he did it that was insulting.

-------------------

iRusher
02-15-2013, 06:10 AM

It's not the fact that he left, it's the way that he did it that was insulting.

-------------------

Not in my opinion.

Zaonabiuibil
02-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Not in my opinion.

Thats your opinion, I have mine. Now stop making this thread off-topic tyvm.

-------------------

Lowlyspy
02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
WOOO Note 2 is here :D

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l527/Lowlyspy/IMAG0018_zps76ee34cd.jpg

Charge damn you!!!

The Happiness
02-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Nice thumb print! And hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

Gameplay
02-19-2013, 04:14 PM

I have them both and many other device. As you can see its only a little bigger than my s3

Schnitzel
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Hiya lowlyspy.
I got gs 3
Pro: voice texting is fast.

Cons: apps crash sometimes.
S voice (samsung's siri) is SLOW
Lots of useless apps pre installed when I got out of the box (many I still havent opened)
You cant listen to youtube while your phone on standby, or when u go to another app.

I dunno what pros and cons are im guessing pro is good and con is bad..
But theres many pros..just forgot...
Choice is yours

Lowlyspy
02-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Got my Note 2 up and running. I lurrrve it :3

Schnitzel
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Got my Note 2 up and running. I lurrrve it :3
Why wernt you on pl for the past couple months?

Dragonrider023
02-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Are you only into android only? well for iOS, I recommened Iphone. Well please get it soon, I miss our time at nuri. U probably not remember it.
Edit: Nvm i havent readed tho OP, well reading is important

Lowlyspy
02-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Why wernt you on pl for the past couple months?
PL is stale, AL entertains me more.