View Full Version : Camera Rotation. Why don't we have it?

Imwatchingyou
02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
There's camera rotation on other STS games, but how come we don't have it in Arcane Legends? It's so irritating you can see your surroundings properly, especially in pvp.

McBain
02-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Something about graphics and smaller file sizes and blahblahblah. I haven't gotten used to the fixed camera angle, but I don't think it's ever changing at this point. The devs said they'd have to pretty much redo the whole game to make it happen.

Imwatchingyou
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
The devs said they'd have to pretty much redo the whole game to make it happen.

That doesn't help. Starlegends looks crystal clear turning camera around, how does that differ from arcane legends?

BoomBox
02-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Eh I've gotten use to it. Pretty easy to adjust lol

McBain
02-12-2013, 06:39 AM
That doesn't help. Starlegends looks crystal clear turning camera around, how does that differ from arcane legends?

IDK, just passing along info. There are existing threads where devs have addressed this. It's not that it couldn't be done, it's that they made the decision to design the maps at an angle and make it fixed. They would have to redesign all the maps to add in the missing graphics that would be there if the camera was movable.

Imwatchingyou
02-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Eh I've gotten use to it. Pretty easy to adjust lol

I'm not. Kinda depresses me not having this feature.

Rare
02-12-2013, 07:10 AM
In short, the graphics and textures of arcane legends are more important. There is a realistic limit to the bandwidth required for a mobile game. You mentioned star legends. I'm sure you can see how inferior the environments and characters are to arcane legends.

If you do a search you can see specifically where justg talked about it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Jessicazx
02-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Yes.

Chaim Nail
02-12-2013, 07:46 AM
I know we can zoom in/out but being able to have a bit more of a top-down view would be nice, as there are some parts of the game where your character is completely hidden by the scenery.

Vystirch
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes.

Interesting sig you got there..... Wondering why u have it?......

Anyway the fixed camera is wonderful.

razerfingers
02-12-2013, 01:03 PM
You're all right to a degree. Ill say what i read. I read that many new players have troubles with rotating camera two diffrent ways. Being not use to it so this is a download and play game. Sort of a thing. Its kind of weird because i never seen any new players complain about screen rotation haha.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

CosmoxKramer
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
It's not needs. Go play diablo or torchlight, which this game was modeled off of

Chili
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
This has to be my biggest pet peeve with this game. I'm used to quickly changing my screen around in pvp. I have to guess if someone is down the hall =.=

Vystirch
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
This has to be my biggest pet peeve with this game. I'm used to quickly changing my screen around in pvp. I have to guess if someone is down the hall =.=

Yep it adds strategy and sneakiness when running the flag or.... Trying to find it.

Energizeric
02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
The graphics in AL are much more complicated than the other games. The details in everything are much more complex as are the dungeons. For example, dungeons like the tombs where you get mobbed by dozens of monsters -- that doesn't happen in any other STS games. In the other games at most you get 2 or 3 monsters coming at you at a time. If they were to convert this to have camera rotation, there would be much more lag and most of the lower end devices would not be able to run the game properly and then everyone would complain.

Rare
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
The graphics in AL are much more complicated than the other games. The details in everything are much more complex as are the dungeons. For example, dungeons like the tombs where you get mobbed by dozens of monsters -- that doesn't happen in any other STS games. In the other games at most you get 2 or 3 monsters coming at you at a time. If they were to convert this to have camera rotation, there would be much more lag and most of the lower end devices would not be able to run the game properly and then everyone would complain.

hmmm... well I agree with you on the textures and graphics... but the mob example is incorrect. I've had more than 20 mobs coming at me at once in DL. And many times many more than 5 in PL.

Fact is... graphics take up a LOT of bandwidth. If you want fantastic graphics like we have in AL, you have to lose out somewhere else. Developers thought they could save a lot of resources by removing things like touch to move and camera rotation. I've gotten use it it.

xcainnblecterx
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Adapt and overcome

Samhayne
02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Here's why:

This is a picture in Windmoore behind Shazbot (as a Dev I can move the camera around).

Notice that there is no geometry for the rest of Shazbot's wagon? Also, notice that there is nothing out over the water that you can see from Windmoore? The game lacks a lot of "extras" in the environment in an effort to help keep the framerate of your device good when you play. The entire game is built around a fixed camera. If the camera were to be unlocked and freely rotated, users would see all this "broken" stuff. If we fill in all the other stuff, then everyone has to suffer with worse framerate just so that some people can rotate their cameras.

Also, all of our new user testing of Pocket Legends, Star Legends and Dark Legends pointed out problems that the average user has playing the game and dealing with a freely rotating camera. Arcane Legends is simply more user friendly because of a fixed camera.

Sorry, but the camera will not be made to be freely rotated. I hope the above helps you better understand why.

Thanks for playing Arcane Legends!

Chaim Nail
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Also, all of our new user testing of Pocket Legends, Star Legends and Dark Legends pointed out problems that the average user has playing the game and dealing with a freely rotating camera. Arcane Legends is simply more user friendly because of a fixed camera.

I concurr, I downloaded and played Star Legends for the first time earlier today and found that having to control movement + camera + weapons at the same time was somewhat cumbersome, the chase cam option mostly eliminated the need to control tbe camera but I kept on finding that it wasn't very intuitive - the experience I had playing Star Legends made me think how good the fixed camera on Arcane Legends is because it's one less thing to worry about when you're in the midst of battle.

SuRfY
02-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Here's why:

This is a picture in Windmoore behind Shazbot (as a Dev I can move the camera around).

Notice that there is no geometry for the rest of Shazbot's wagon? Also, notice that there is nothing out over the water that you can see from Windmoore? The game lacks a lot of "extras" in the environment in an effort to help keep the framerate of your device good when you play. The entire game is built around a fixed camera. If the camera were to be unlocked and freely rotated, users would see all this "broken" stuff. If we fill in all the other stuff, then everyone has to suffer with worse framerate just so that some people can rotate their cameras.

Sorry, but the camera will not be made to be freely rotated. I hope the above helps you better understand why.

Thanks for playing Arcane Legends!

That angle is so cool...

Snakespeare
02-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Sorry, but the camera will not be made to be freely rotated.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/cry/grand/11906496_cry_gif.gif

Uzii
02-12-2013, 05:11 PM
I like rotating camera in SL is so natural. Sometimes i find myself trying to rotate in AL too lol. But its ok i got used to fixed in AL. Only place i miss rotation is ctf.

For the post above seriously LOL :congratulatory:

McBain
02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
I concurr, I downloaded and played Star Legends for the first time earlier today and found that having to control movement + camera + weapons at the same time was somewhat cumbersome, the chase cam option mostly eliminated the need to control tbe camera but I kept on finding that it wasn't very intuitive - the experience I had playing Star Legends made me think how good the fixed camera on Arcane Legends is because it's one less thing to worry about when you're in the midst of battle.

Well, I wouldn't base your moveable camera experience on SL. SL is the worst because it goes left/right and up/down, which is even more annoying than fixed camera. Every time I try to move I end up either looking straight down or straight up. I don't get why up and down is even necessary. The movement in PL is perfect. When I play PL, pretty much all my left/right movement is by rotating, rather than using the joystick, and it really adds to the 3D experience of the game to be able to change your viewing angle like that.

Anyway, AL isn't changing at this point. Do I like it? no, but I've made my peace with it.

Energizeric
02-12-2013, 05:55 PM
I don't mind the fixed camera, but what I really would like is the tap to move feature. I use it all the time in PL and it's so much easier when you want to walk a long way without needing to keep your thumb on the virtual joystick. I can understand maybe tap to move is not so useful in dungeons or in PvP, but they should at least have that when you are in town.

inkredible
02-12-2013, 06:11 PM
IDK, just passing along info. There are existing threads where devs have addressed this. It's not that it couldn't be done, it's that they made the decision to design the maps at an angle and make it fixed. They would have to redesign all the maps to add in the missing graphics that would be there if the camera was movable.

Hes right, easy to say but its not as easy to do,
they finished the game as is, without rotation or anything. In order to do rotations theyd have to back to the very beginning and redo in such a way they have graphics for every rotation. Not very easy to do.. specially that arcane legends have come far and continuously updating.. i doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Unless they stop with the updates n focus on this.. which could take over night of working for a long time

Whichever im fine with as it is, it just makes the game more challenging, and challenge is always exciting ;)
Things cant be always as easy as you want em to be ;)

Imwatchingyou
02-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Gives the cold shoulder*

Adapt and Adjust
Sometimes I really wonder about these replies. As if the staff are normal users of the players.

Hey I dunno, man. STS had a whole year to make this game and camera rotation couldn't be inserted? I wouldn't mind volunteering to work for them for free to have this. Maybe some donations? After all, I am walking around with 900 platinum, lol. I will never adjust or get used to it. As for PVP camera view, they might as well make a 360 dome maze to make it easier to see on the screen vs the cube like appearance making it much harder to see corners of the screen.

inkredible
02-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Gives the cold shoulder*

Sometimes I really wonder about these replies. As if the staff are normal users of the players.

Hey I dunno, man. STS had a whole year to make this game and camera rotation couldn't be inserted? I wouldn't mind volunteering to work for them for free to have this. Maybe some donations? After all, I am walking around with 900 platinum, lol. I will never adjust or get used to it. As for PVP camera view, they might as well make a 360 dome maze to make it easier to see on the screen vs the cube like appearance making it much harder to see corners of the screen.

I think its fine as it is, easy to adjust to. and i dont think a lot of people have problems with it
But maybe a POLL might help to see what people really think about it

hotpimp
02-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I love killing people from behind when they cant see me. Like a ninja assassination. Lana.

razerfingers
02-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Keep in mind that you started off playing AL it seems. Most of us started off playing PL(first game made) so we're all use to the roatating camera.

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

McBain
02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Since frame rates are a concern, I'd be more than willing to sacrifice some graphic quality in order to have a 360 degree camera view. Just sayin'

xcainnblecterx
02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I don't mind the fixed camera, but what I really would like is the tap to move feature. I use it all the time in PL and it's so much easier when you want to walk a long way without needing to keep your thumb on the virtual joystick. I can understand maybe tap to move is not so useful in dungeons or in PvP, but they should at least have that when you are in town.

Yea that would be great. Made walking and talking easier. Anyways im going leave this thread alone now because sam just gave a exact reason for it not happening and yet people still dont understand. Are you not entertained enough? As i said adapt and over come. Sts still gives great feed back, but some thing where done for a reason

Genuinous
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
I tried PL a bit when I got bored and absolutely hated all movements. Though true, I played only on Chrome, yet moving was super annoying... Having to turn and move or click was just too much and weird. Maybe it's better on phones, but please don't make AL like that.. It's not always ideal to have a fixed camera and going back towards base in ctf has quite a limited view. But I still prefer it over adjustable camera, since this allows you to have a better overview of the situation, which in group fights come extremely useful.

Psyche
02-13-2013, 02:16 AM
I don't mind the angle thing in AL but I do prefer the style of PL. The fixed view in AL makes it feel somewhat less like a 3D game and more like 2D side scroller type game, just at a clever angle.

McBain
02-13-2013, 03:55 AM
I don't mind the angle thing in AL but I do prefer the style of PL. The fixed view in AL makes it feel somewhat less like a 3D game and more like 2D side scroller type game, just at a clever angle.

That's definitely a large part of what's a turn-off about it, but I couldn't think of a simple way to get the point across. But that's it: with its lack of rotation AL feels more like a 2-d game than a 3-d one.

Chaim Nail
02-13-2013, 04:10 AM
with its lack of rotation AL feels more like a 2-d game than a 3-d one.

PL, SL & AL are 2D games represented with 3D graphics.

McBain
02-13-2013, 06:43 AM
PL, SL & AL are 2D games represented with 3D graphics.

Is it just me, or does that statement not make sense?

60% of the time, it works every time?

Jessicazx
02-13-2013, 06:56 AM
I kinda got used to the 'no cam rotation' so i dun really mind..

Chaim Nail
02-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Is it just me, or does that statement not make sense?

The (3D) characters in the games walk around on flat (2D) ground, much like a physical chess set has a flat board with (usually) 3D pieces that move around on the 2D board.

hoipolloi389
02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Dude. Tech stuff aside, we really should have some form of rotation. If not the full out everything of SL, then just 360 around.

Justg
02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Sorry guys, this has been covered many, many, many times before. It's not going to happen in AL.