PDA

View Full Version : Friday Dev Report - Kraken Isles Release Date, Back Story & More Screenshots

Samhayne
02-15-2013, 05:34 PM
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24165&d=1360359370

Development of the Kraken Isles expansion is nearing completion. At this time we anticipate that the expansion will go live late next week! There is still a good bit of testing and final polish to be done, but we want to give an estimate so that fans can plan their game time accordingly.

To continue to whet your appetite for the Kraken Isles, here is a bit of the backstory:

The Aegir, or fish monster pirates, have been a scourge to the Kraken Isles and the Arlor coastline for as long as most can remember. Fortunately, they usually spend most of their time fighting each other, rather than plundering innocents, and so essentially kept themselves in check.

This has changed. The ruthless Captain Bloodhammer has managed to unite the Aegir under his Jolly Roger and now they are a threat to everyone on the Kraken Isles and main land Arlor! Their recent brazen attack on the coastal city of Windmoore is testament to their power. The heroes of Arlor must confront the Aegir and defeat Bloodhammer before it’s too late!

The adventure into the Kraken Isles will unfold the backstory of the Rogue playable class. As a daughter of the Kolga, a proud seafaring people, the Kraken Isles will reveal her exciting lineage and the struggles she had to conquer to become a legendary hero.

Here are a few more screenshots as well:

Aegir Pirates

Jungle Beach

The Mighty Blue Crab Boss

Paradise Port (aka A wretched hive of scum and villainy)

Shark Lieutenant

We are very excited to get the Kraken Isles in your hands to play! Have a great Double XP Weekend!

Lady_Pebbles
02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Very nice graphics! Will we have a new Story Token Quest from Bard there as well?

Dragonrider023
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
wooowooo

GoodSyntax
02-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Looks terrific Sam! Kudo's to the art team - the beach textures look exceptionally rich!

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Will this expansion introduce a new CTF map as well - it would be nice to have an airy beach environment for PvP.

Vystirch
02-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Very nice graphics! Will we have a new Story Token Quest from Bard there as well?

Besides a new story token quest.... How about a new story token pet?

Samhayne
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Besides a new story token quest.... How about a new story token pet?

Sorry, there is no "established" tavern in Paradise Port. Several have tried, but they usually only erupt into nightly bar brawls, or succumb to arson, theft or a combination thereof. There are places to whet your whistle, but none that have attracted the bards of Arlor.

As for CTF, while PvP is in beta the team doesn't want to dilute the number of maps being populated by splitting them up over multiple different instances. For right now, the current tombs PvP CTF map is the one.

nikolai131
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
looks GREAT ^_^ So excited xD

Wizard_Mike
02-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Are those supposed to be octopus-men and jellyfish-men? Because they just look like skeletons and rook bandits with octopi and jellyfish jammed over their heads.

I'm all for reusing assets, but c'mon... First you give us demon "dogs" which are just the cat model with a new head and some other minor tweaks (the demon dogs still do the cat tricks and even make cat sounds!), and now you give us fish people that are even less "disguised" from their original forms than the demon dogs were?

I know you guys are a small team and are trying to get content out quickly, which I truly do appreciate and applaud you for. But cutting corners is still cutting corners and we're going to notice that kind of thing. I would rather wait another month for Kraken Isles if it meant the mobs looked a little more unique.

hippl
02-15-2013, 06:05 PM
please, Sam n Company, introduce us new story token and hauntlet pets

Samhayne
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Are those supposed to be octopus-men and jellyfish-men? Because they just look like skeletons and rook bandits with octopi and jellyfish jammed over their heads.

I'm all for reusing assets, but c'mon... First you give us demon "dogs" which are just the cat model with a new head and some other minor tweaks (the demon dogs still do the cat tricks and even make cat sounds!), and now you give us fish people that are even less "disguised" from their original forms than the demon dogs were?

I know you guys are a small team and are trying to get content out quickly, which I truly do appreciate and applaud you for. But cutting corners is still cutting corners and we're going to notice that kind of thing. I would rather wait another month for Kraken Isles if it meant the mobs looked a little more unique.

Hey Wizard_Mike,

Yup, you caught us. For us, it's not really cutting corners but making smart use of the assets we have and being mindful of device memory limitations. We're not building for only iPhone 5s or Nexus 7s, ya know? We would also rather get the Kraken Isles out and get underway on the next expansion and continue to grow the game.

Thanks in advance for your understanding!

Lady_Pebbles
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
How about an out post then like the one we already have? Bard can surely relax there and give some nice stories to tell. X)

KarminMirage
02-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Super excited about this. I level capped today so I'm looking forward to this a lot.
Always like a pirate theme when it's done well and so far it's looking good :vD:

Jcyee
02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
How about you convince a bard to hire some bodyguards ;)

Energizeric
02-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey Wizard_Mike,

Yup, you caught us. For us, it's not really cutting corners but making smart use of the assets we have and being mindful of device memory limitations. We're not building for only iPhone 5s or Nexus 7s, ya know? We would also rather get the Kraken Isles out and get underway on the next expansion and continue to grow the game.

I see no problem at all with this. The only time I have ever complained about them reusing artwork is when they kept using the same AO3 weapons and armor on later campaigns in PL. As long as they keep the gear fresh, I don't care if they reuse parts of the mobs in the dungeons.

Extreme
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Agree

Cartola
02-16-2013, 03:57 AM
some players can acess the new map? to test
or just the developers?

McBain
02-16-2013, 04:24 AM
OMG. Blue. Crab.

Gheeeeee!

Wizard_Mike
02-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Hey Wizard_Mike,

I do understand. And like I said, I'm all for reusing assests. But couldn't you recolor the skin to blue or something? Right now, it just doesn't look like those heads belong to those bodies.

Heck, even just throwing in some spin about how some bad guy is mind controlling rooks and skeletons by jamming magical octopi and jellyfish on their heads would work for me.

I apologize if I'm just being nitpicky. It's just something bugs me, is all.

Wiress
02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I love the Rogue's story. Will the following cap raises tell the stories of warriors and mages? 'Cause I want to know how mages became blue.

I also like the boss in the last pic. So excited!

Swede
02-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I love the Rogue's story. Will the following cap raises tell the stories of warriors and mages? 'Cause I want to know how mages became blue.

Yes. We plan to visit all the player characters home lands and reveal their back stories.

just comment
02-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Will you release exact release date soon or you want to make a surprise for all AL player ?
I really can't wait for kraken isle yarrr!!! :-)

Rekklees
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm so excited :D, can't wait... Its look amazing :).

okahef
02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
You guys rok I could care less about reusing enemies theyg. Do not live long enuff for me to care lol. I prersonally wouldn't care if enemies were stick men if it meant fast expansion turnarounds. Wizard look at any other tablet/phone games they are not half as fast as this small team at putting out expansions. The only suggestion I have is more items to choose from stat wise. don't make two different weapons have same exact stats IMO that is a waste of model use. But not complaining love the game n keep putting out great work!

Gaabelec22
02-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Wow looks amazing even more excited than i was xD

John Spen Regalado
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Kudos to the team

Darkgenocide
02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
are these bosses going to be harder then the current bosses in elite? because the current elite maps are just too easy. You guys need to make these guys just EPIC hard and worth the fight. We can clear the whole Elite maps from last update in like 10 min per map IF that. the hardest Elite boss from the last update is the guy with the evil armor, he is SUPER hard. it should be like that for ALL the elite bosses...

Vystirch
02-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Yes. We plan to visit all the player characters home lands and reveal their back stories.

Very awesome! Such a cool idea by you guys, and from my talk with cinco it would seem the pets play the end role in the stories tying them together. I can't wait to see how this unfolds :)

SuRfY
02-17-2013, 12:11 AM
are these bosses going to be harder then the current bosses in elite? because the current elite maps are just too easy. You guys need to make these guys just EPIC hard and worth the fight. We can clear the whole Elite maps from last update in like 10 min per map IF that. the hardest Elite boss from the last update is the guy with the evil armor, he is SUPER hard. it should be like that for ALL the elite bosses...

Epic hard is not enough. Make it arcane hard. LOL

LwMark
02-17-2013, 01:20 AM

Are mages aliens?

Vystirch
02-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Are mages aliens?

Legit question.

Deathblaze
02-17-2013, 06:36 AM
O.O The storage guys' name is Sophia XD
I SOOOOOO CANT WAIT

GOOD WORK STS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Odinbr
02-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Is there any platinums sale?

xcainnblecterx
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
O.o Better be a.squid mythic/arcane pet too lol.

AllazarTheGreat
02-17-2013, 08:23 PM
What has appened to the Silk Stalker Quest for Dimitrius?? It no longer resets. Is anyone else having this problem?. Please help.

Heiki
02-17-2013, 09:22 PM
I do understand. And like I said, I'm all for reusing assests. But couldn't you recolor the skin to blue or something? Right now, it just doesn't look like those heads belong to those bodies.

Heck, even just throwing in some spin about how some bad guy is mind controlling rooks and skeletons by jamming magical octopi and jellyfish on their heads would work for me.

I apologize if I'm just being nitpicky. It's just something bugs me, is all.

Agree 100%. Actually I think i'm going to pretend they are mind controlled because when I see this i'm just thinking the objective is to chug out content so the plat spending keeps growing. I feel like a walking wallet.

Quality also matters and AL is a fine base for a great game on a portable device. I think its important not to spoil it for the long term. Yes, SL and DL were short term assets but PL isn't and AL can emulate that imo.

Anyway, that's my wish and you guys have your own strategy.

thekdub
02-17-2013, 10:24 PM
What has appened to the Silk Stalker Quest for Dimitrius?? It no longer resets. Is anyone else having this problem?. Please help.

Has not been available to me for at least the last 3 days.

Kiekei
02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Lol same problem here, no silk stalker.
Sent from my Windows 8 phone

wrathstorm
02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Has not been available to me for at least the last 3 days.

Almost a week for me. Now I will not getting the 500 extra from him :p

AllazarTheGreat
02-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Almost a week for me. Now I will not getting the 500 extra from him :p

Yeaah, And I can really use that 500g. Wish there was a double your gold elixir.

Aniscater
02-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Nice I cant wait till Sorcerers home land:D He's probably from veeery magical and interesting place:)

Vystirch
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Nice I cant wait till Sorcerers home land:D He's probably from veeery magical and interesting place:)

I'm thinking swamps for the smurfs... :p