PDA

View Full Version : Idea for new PvP/CTF Ranking System for Leaderboards

Energizeric
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
The problem with just about any ranking system is that folks can exploit it by farming kills. The point system I have come up with here cannot be exploited. I will explain....

(STS should begin this system when PvP is officially no longer in beta.)

1. All players will begin with 1 point.

2. When you kill another player, you gain an amount of points based on the score of the other player. This amount is the calculation of his/her score divided by yours. For example, if you have 5 points and you kill a player with 10 points, then you gain 2 points (10/5), so your new score would be 7 points. Therefore, the better the player you kill, the more points you will gain. If you have 50 points and you kill a player with 5 points, then you would only gain 0.1 points (5/50). This eliminates the issue of those farming kills, since the alts they set up for farming would have low points, the farmed kills would not result in any sizable gains.

3. The maximum number of points you can gain with one kill is 5. This way a player just starting out (with 1 point) cannot kill a player with 400 points and instantly gain 400 points. You must instead work your way up.

4. When you get killed you lose 1 point regardless of who kills you. However, you cannot drop below 1 point. If you only have 1 point and are killed, then you stay at 1 point. 1 point is the lowest score.

Instead of kills being ranked on the leaderboards, the points leaders should be. There could still be achievements for total kills, but no leaderboards.

If this system is implemented, then those with the highest scores would be those who are the most successful players, and also those who play the most. Those who simply try to cheat the system by farming kills or leaving games when there are good players on the other team would not be able to make sizable gains and would never achieve a high score.

Samhayne
02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Nice idea, thanks for posting it.

Mysticaleagle
02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice idea. I hope we can see that in the next months, or at the end of the PvP beta.

Vystirch
02-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow, truly a awesome idea! I salute you! I kept trying to see if there were ways to farm/cheat in your idea and I couldn't find any!

-Vys

P.S. WOW

iluvataris
02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
I like, kinda reminds me of eq2 pvp, you had pvp titles before you name(ranks) if you killed Someone 1 lower or better you gain fame. Fame increased your title. If you died you would lose fame, possibly lose your title, only there were no points. You would just see fame lost or gained, so you didn't know when you would get a better title or drop.

CaptainPoo
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Nice idea.I like it that it can prove who is the pro and who is farm killer in pvp:star:.Will be nice if devs implemented it soon.Just delete the CTF leaderboard when the season 3 begin.

Irons<Xerred Demm>
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Great suggestion! A well thought out rating system would either address or straight out eliminate many of the issues players have been reporting. Kudos non the post, hopefully it gains some ground.

Energizeric
02-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Believe it or not I actually stole this idea from Yahoo Games. I used to play chess a lot, and they give you a rating score. Depending on who you beat or lose to, your score goes up or down. The only way to really get sizable gains is to beat a player with a really high score. Beating players who are not very good and have low scores barely give you any gains at all. They obviously do that so nobody can cheat the system by farming wins. I figured it would work well here too. Of course my idea is just an outline. The actual numbers and formulas used can be slightly different, but I feel like the general idea is a good one. :)

just comment
02-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Nice idea of gaining score :-)

But still, i wish player can host the room not always random like now...
Private pvp ing with our own community is so much fun :-)
But still, we can play with public too :-)

TheStoic
02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Pretty good idea...I have a clarification though. In the current pvp arena we don't know the level nor the stats of the players we are fighting. So, if this idea is implemented, is it necessary that your opponents points be shown to you? Because what I'm thinking is that you might be fighting in pvp arena for hours and then you get low gains, because your opponents have low level points. If you are a high point player, you might as well go in the arena with equal/better points players to make the fight more gainful on your side.

Second thing is...Assuming they are only a few top players because of this point system. Wouldnt it be disadvantageous in their part because they must only kill those few better players to gain more points? What's the use of fighting low-point player if you don't get the achievement you desired?

just comment
02-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Pretty good idea...I have a clarification though. In the current pvp arena we don't know the level nor the stats of the players we are fighting. So, if this idea is implemented, is it necessary that your opponents points be shown to you? Because what I'm thinking is that you might be fighting in pvp arena for hours and then you get low gains, because your opponents have low level points. If you are a high point player, you might as well go in the arena with equal/better points players to make the fight more gainful on your side.

Second thing is...Assuming they are only a few top players because of this point system. Wouldnt it be disadvantageous in their part because they must only kill those few better players to gain more points? What's the use of fighting low-point player if you don't get the achievement you desired?

Agree 100%, this system is good, but remember, this system used for chess game that there are only 2 players and you can choose opponent ( idk you can choose or not, i never play yahoo chess,i just assume it as you can choose tour opponent) ..
And in this ctf, there are 10 players, 5 each team.. if a high score player enter a room with 9 low score player, sure he will be hunted..
And i'm sure there are more low score player than high score one, this system will make high score lazy to pvp because if he get accidentally killed by low score, all his effort will be useless...

Energizeric
02-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Agree 100%, this system is good, but remember, this system used for chess game that there are only 2 players and you can choose opponent ( idk you can choose or not, i never play yahoo chess,i just assume it as you can choose tour opponent) ..
And in this ctf, there are 10 players, 5 each team.. if a high score player enter a room with 9 low score player, sure he will be hunted..
And i'm sure there are more low score player than high score one, this system will make high score lazy to pvp because if he get accidentally killed by low score, all his effort will be useless...

I actually thought about this and made a major modification compared to the Yahoo Games system. In Yahoo Games you lose lots of points if you lose to a low ranked player. I realized that this would cause those with high ratings to stay idle, so I think the best move is to make the losses minimal when you get killed. So if you are a high rated player you sit idle, others will pass you by in rating. Plus, if you are a high rated player, then I assume you have better skill than the other players. So in that case you should dominate if you play against low rated players.

Also, an issue that has been brought up is allowing a party to enter CTF as a team. This system would allow for that since we would not have to worry about kill farming anymore.

Regarding whether or not you can see the rating of your opponent, that should not be necessary. The idea is that everyone should just continue to play and do their best. If you tell everyone the ratings of all the players, then you are essentially putting a bullseye on the guy with the high rating. I think that's a bad idea. Some may recognize him anyway from the leaderboards, but you don't have to advertise it.

Crabmeat
02-20-2013, 02:18 AM
If you tell everyone the ratings of all the players, then you are essentially putting a bullseye on the guy with the high rating. I think that's a bad idea. Some may recognize him anyway from the leaderboards, but you don't have to advertise it.

by end of the week PVP arena will close for 2 hours so dev could update LB then reset all points back to 0, then the board leaders will receive a small prize like 50k gold each or something else.

warbluefish
02-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Great idea. it even make class balancing more important.

Bebsi
02-20-2013, 04:01 AM
Thumps up.
I like this idea very much.
Now implement 1vs1, 3vs3 and reduce the level range to +/- 2 ^_^

As a low lvl player I never stand a chance against players who are 2>= lvls higher than me T.T

Energizeric
02-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Thumps up.
I like this idea very much.
Now implement 1vs1, 3vs3 and reduce the level range to +/- 2 ^_^

As a low lvl player I never stand a chance against players who are 2>= lvls higher than me T.T

Maybe level should factor into it as well. For example, if you kill a player that is 2 levels higher than you, maybe you get extra points?