PDA

View Full Version : Best tanking weapon type

Rextab
09-30-2010, 02:07 PM
I've been using 1H swords due to their speed (.5). But i've notice their are some enemies, I am guessing due to high armor, that it just doesn't do crap in the way of damage to.
I am still trying to figure out exactly how the threat works in this game. With tanking I don't know if it's speed or overall damage that works here. Even in WoW the different tanks all rely on different weapon types to maximize their tank style.
I was wondering what you other tanks feel the best overall tanking weapon type is? Do I go for speed or damage? I am at slightly over 100% hit with gear on currently.
1H Axes and Maces do quite a bit of damage, but are much about 3 times as slow. I got a 1H spear from swamps, and it seemed to be pretty good speed/stat wise, but I can't use it yet. I can 2H tank in a pinch with some weapons that have armor and dodge on them. I only do this if I am in a group with a better geared tank (I use the 2H to do more damage so not to just be wasted dps)

Cascade
09-30-2010, 02:09 PM
If your lvl 45 then I would go with the zuraz shock lance and Isis Scarab Shield.

Royce
09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Your best options are the Tridents/Pitchforks/Spears or a shock lance if you can get one. These weapons have high damage for a 1-hand weapon, and also carry armor reducing procs. If you are not yet level 35 or so when tridents and pitchforks first appear, then an axe is probably your best bet for tanking. They have lower DPS than a sword due to slower speed, but also have much better damage.

Rextab
09-30-2010, 03:19 PM
yeah i am 33 at the moment. i have some level 35 purples, but can't remember what type. right now i am using a level 30 purple blizz Zord or whatever. i have a level 30 purple axe and mace with tanking style stats (armor/dodge). so you would recommend changing to an axe/mace?
i was wondering about those tridents, because i got one in swamps last night (a gray), but I couldn't use it yet. It seemed to have very good stats. Good dps, better attack speed than axes and maces, but slower than swords.
i seem to have a lot of luck with purple weapon drops, but none i can actually use yet and most that I wouldn't use at all...so I guess it's not THAT lucky. i have horrible luck with armor drops though so far.

Royce
09-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I would definitely switch to the axe or mace if you are not doing much damage with the sword. Swords can work for a tank as well, but it requires that you work with a mage that uses nightmare and/or archer that uses break armor. Otherwise, the high DPS of a sword is useless if each blow is completely absorbed by armor. The main advantage of the Tridents is that they break armor (just like the archer skill), so you will actually reduce your target's armor and do more damage, and also allow your teammates to do more damage. If you need a pink, I have a bunch of Pitchforks (Skeller version of Tridents). Add Fnordic in game if you want one.

Arterra
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
i am pretty sure that if you are unable to farm a good spear/trident from swamps, skeller has one. easier to get, that is all.

Rextab
09-30-2010, 04:43 PM
cool. thanks royce. ill add you in game when i get home. i just have the one character, Rextab.
thanks also for the info. i am still learning how the synergy between the classes work. that totally makes sense on the armor issue. i haven't played the other two classes yet so i wasn't aware of what abilities they had. warriors in this game must rely on the other classes to sunder armor of the enemies since most of their abilities seem to be for crowd control, damage mitigation, and damage.
i've been having problems finding people to do Skeller. I have had pretty good success with Swamps and sometimes AO1. I also try and do the 4th and 5th levels of Lost Expedition. I also try and do Hidden Cave or whatever (the one that has Fridge at the end), but I have only been with one group that has successfully killed him.

Xviperr
10-03-2010, 08:30 AM
IMO, i believe there is "Hidden DPS table". which will calculate the damage from each character dealt and the mob will chase after that character. And i believe this damage is calculated in a given time. perhaps every 5second which ever character dealt the most damage, the mob will chase that character.

it might be good if dev actually let us know more about this aggro system so that tank would be able to do their tanking more efficient

icantgetkills
10-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Hay rextab I'll add you if you would like would be alot of fun to play with you I'll go into skewer with you and help you get a trident since purples and pinks drop all the time there

Rextab
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
cool. yeah i can add you. what name? my bear is level 40 now. i've been working on an archer the past few days. got him to 30. his name is Archflier

Xcelerator
10-10-2010, 01:21 AM
I've been using one handed swords or axes. ive got a lvl 30 warrior. make sure you use weapons that boost your dodge stats as this will further help with tanking